Welcome to July’s round of Create-a-Card! In this fun TCG competition, members create a text or image-based fake card while demonstrating their knowledge and understanding of Pokemon cards. The most creative members will win!
But First: June’s Winners!
Congratulations to all of our winners for June’s Create-a-Card competition! The winners are as follows:
Mawile – Steel – HP90
/ε Shield/ Any damage done to this Pokémon by an opponent’s attack is reduced by 10 for each Energy card attached to this Pokémon (after applying Weakness and Resistance).
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and it’s damaged by an opponent’s attack (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), you may flip a coin. If heads, during your next turn, each of this Pokémon’s attacks does 30 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).
[S][C][C] Punishing Bites 30x
This attack does 30 damage times the number of your opponent’s Pokémon-EX in play.
Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
It uses its docile-looking face to lull foes into complacency, then bites with its huge, relentless jaws.
Unown – Psychic – HP60
Ability: Greek Alphabet
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may reveal a Pokémon in your hand. If that Pokémon has an Ancient Trait, put all Pokémon Tool cards attached to this Pokémon into your hand and attach that Pokémon to this Pokémon as a Pokémon Tool card. As long as this Pokémon has a Pokémon attached to it as a Pokémon Tool card, this Pokémon has that Pokémon’s Ancient Trait.
[P][P][C] Last Letter: 10+ damage. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until all cards in your deck have been revealed. Does 30 more damage if you didn’t reveal any Unown. If you have any Unown on your Bench, this attack does nothing.
Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Retreat Cost: 1
When alone, nothing happens. However, if there are two or more, an odd power is said to emerge.
Unown – Psychic – HP70
Г Xenoglossia: This Pokémon can use the attacks of your opponent’s Active Pokémon. Treat the cost of the attack as [C][C][C].
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may flip your deck upside down so the bottom card of the deck is on the top, facing front up. If this Pokémon is no longer your Active Pokémon, flip your deck right side up.
[P] Draw a Card
This attack does 20 damage to one of your opponent’s Pokémon.
Weakness: Dark (x2)
Ancient scriptures can be found with Unown-style writing in many regions. However, in the Hoenn Region this is not the case as Braille is the main written language there.
Creator: Reggie McGigas
Fantastic entries everyone! Thank goes to all participants! Complete judging results will be posted up shortly in the original thread for last month’s contest which you can access here. If you liked these entries, or want to see your card creation on the front page, please check out our July competition below!
July’s Create-a-Card Competition: Object-Based Pokémon!
This month’s theme is Object-Based Pokémon. Any Pokémon with a design based on an inanimate object is fair game. You are welcome to ask in thread for ideas and suggestions! As an artist, you will not be restricted to a specific card era when creating your card.
This contest has two sections, text-based and image-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For the image-based fake, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them: your cards must be completely original!
- To sign up you must reply to the thread below. Make sure to include whether you’re in for text or image-based fakes!
- You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
- We have a total of 15 spaces available for text-based entries and 15 for image-based. UPDATE 3: Text-based spots are now full, and image-based spots have been increased to 20! If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach even has some card blanks available for use.
We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokemon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
Total: 20 points
Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:
- Pokemon – Type – HP50
- Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokemon
- Ability: Name
- [R][C] Attack 20
- Weakness: Fire (x2)
- Resistance: Psychic (-20)
- Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
- Pokédex Information
Total: 15 points
Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Total: 15 points
Max Points: 50
This should be a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! This category can involve innovating new gameplay mechanics, blanks, templates, etc.
Total: 15 points
Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
Total: 15 points
Fonts and Placement
Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
Total: 10 points
Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it’s still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Total: 5 points
Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, You may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50
- Monday, July 13th – Sign-ups begin.
- Thursday, August 6th – Entries are due and judging begins.
- Monday, August 10th – Winners are announced!
- For those entering image-based, you will have to include this logo OR this one on your card or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and himself. Alternate Set Symbol #1, Alternate Set Symbol #2. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
- If you edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done!
- Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline will not be allowed to participate in any PokeBeach activity for four months. If you have signed up but will be unable to commit, you must drop out at least 4 full days before the deadline or you will incur the same penalties.
- All CAC entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your CAC card there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that CAC judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
- Members can also weigh-in on their favorite fakers! Members are free to vote for ONE text-based entry and ONE image-based entry, both spectators and entrants, though we encourage participants to not vote for themselves. A poll will be linked in-thread shortly after the deadline has passed, or votes can be PMed to Athena.
- Artists (illustrators) are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
PokeBeach members earn badges next to their usernames that are visible on all parts of the website. These badges denote your accomplishments to other members and viewers. If you place high enough in this contest, you are eligible to win the following:
- Third place: Bronze Create-A-Card Medal
- Second place: Silver Create-A-Card Medal
- First place: Golden Create-A-Card Medal
Additionally, members who place first through third will have their cards posted to the front page, for every visitor of PokeBeach to see!
- Information about PokeBeach’s Activities program
- Classic-era Fake Card Blanks
- Latest PokeBeach Events
Have fun, Artists! Now is the time for your faking skills to take center stage, so put your best foot forward, and show us just how well you can create a card! Be sure to check PokéBeach’s front page for current contests and events so you can earn even more badges!