Fun Should Shaymin EX be tinned?

A Shaymin tin would be an insta-buy for most people playing the game. Unless they already had 4 of them. TPCi would make a lot of $$ selling them. They could change the art on it so even the players who have 4 of them would still buy it. It would be a lot better than some of the boxes/tins they sell with weak promo cards in them.
Since they don't make money on Shaymin EX having a high price, they shouldn't really care if they devalue it.

PS: I never got Shaymin from the PTCGO tutorial booster pack. I don't remember what I got, but it sure wasn't Shaymin. I only got Shaymin from opening a non tradeable pack recently. Also bought 2 with some tradeable packs.

Yeah, they printed a Hoopa EX promo and put it in a tin. Don't tell me that's an 'attacker'. It's a support pokemon with a spooky draw thing going on. Actually, it's exactly like Shaymin-EX except less . . . good. . . a bench sitting set up EX.
I think they should print a Shaymin EX promo. Too bad you already paid $50 USD for yours.
Never happen, though. . . that's my prediction.

Even reading through this thread I'm not sure where the assumption that because the card is worth a lot, that TCPI benefit from that at all. All that mark-up goes to the people reselling them as singles.
But in order to sell singles, people have to open up boxes or crates to try to pull only a few of Shaymin. I've heard of TPCi sending certain cards to sellers like Troll and Toad before the set releases but I'm not 100% sure on that. But yeah, people have to open crates to find some Shaymin and that's more cha-ching in TPCi's pocket. I don't see how it's hard to understand.

Yeah, they printed a Hoopa EX promo and put it in a tin. Don't tell me that's an 'attacker'. It's a support pokemon with a spooky draw thing going on. Actually, it's exactly like Shaymin-EX except less . . . good. . . a bench sitting set up EX.
I think they should print a Shaymin EX promo. Too bad you already paid $50 USD for yours.
Never happen, though. . . that's my prediction.
I got regular arts for $32.99 and $35 for my FA from Amazon.ca. I'm in Canada so CAD's value is pretty low compared to USD haha. Nice try you didn't get me there.

Hoopa has and never will be in that many decks. There are so many decks right now in Standard and Expanded, in both formats, Hoopa isn't used much at all. He's no use in Sableye/Garbodor, Vespiquen, Night March, Raichu/Bats, Seismitoad/Bats, even Mega Manectric, etc, etc. So you can't use Hoopa as an example of a helpful Pokemon being tinned. Not to mention the fact that he wasn't supposed to be universal to begin with.

But in order to sell singles, people have to open up boxes or crates to try to pull only a few of Shaymin. I've heard of TPCi sending certain cards to sellers like Troll and Toad before the set releases but I'm not 100% sure on that. But yeah, people have to open crates to find some Shaymin and that's more cha-ching in TPCi's pocket. I don't see how it's hard to understand.

I have zero statistics to back up the argument, but I don't expect Roaring Skies outsells other expansions by any great margin just because Shaymin is in the set? Maybe it does. Obviously they make money from selling their own cards, and maybe they make a little more on RS because of Shaymin. But my point is that the huge mark-up on Shaymin single does not go to TCPI.

If they released it in a tin or as some kind of Promo, all that money would go directly to them. So from a financial standpoint, they would make more money than they are.

I have zero statistics to back up the argument, but I don't expect Roaring Skies outsells other expansions by any great margin just because Shaymin is in the set? Maybe it does. Obviously they make money from selling their own cards, and maybe they make a little more on RS because of Shaymin. But my point is that the huge mark-up on Shaymin single does not go to TCPI.

If they released it in a tin or as some kind of Promo, all that money would go directly to them. So from a financial standpoint, they would make more money than they are.

Would they make more money though? They still have to make the specialized tins and have those marketed. It would be much cheaper to release them as league promos.

They've put other staples in tins (Mewtwo EX NDX, Darkrai EX DEX, etc.), so why not Shaymin? Certainly make things easier on new/returning players.

They've put other staples in tins (Mewtwo EX NDX, Darkrai EX DEX, etc.), so why not Shaymin? Certainly make things easier on new/returning players.

Well, Shaymin never broke 80+ bucks. You needed to have Mewtwo EX to be competitive. The non full art version of the card demanded like 70 bucks on the market and you needed like 2 at least. I think normal Shaymin goes for like 40 bucks, 50 for full art but you don't have to have shaymin EX. It would be nice to see it made into a tin so the price of the normal goes down at least but you're still spending 10 to 20 bucks for the tin/box.

I think it should be or else be banned/restricted in some way. There are very few decks which don't benefit from having it. You could take most decks that didn't have it, add in 4 ShayminEXs and it would be a better deck.
I'd rather see it rotated out quickly so that people get their moneys worth but if it's to stay in it needs an answer or else more availability. There's a similar (though about 5-7x more expensive) issue with modern magic in the form of Tarmogoyf. There's basically no reason not to splash green and take it. There was a similarly powered common and it got banned because... well magic!

I'd hate to see that happen in Pokémon, so tins would be nice. It's still not negligible in cost but is much more accessible (about 1/4 more!)

I think it should be but probably they will not.... I mean, people still use a lot of money to get this card from booster packs....

If I want to make money and a single card that people spend over 500$ on my product to sell it at 50$ a pop, now I want to sell it for 30$ a pop plus extra stuff, so essentially I'm selling it to you for 10$. Better question is would anyone on here do it? No you wouldn't, you would rather make more money off of your product because otherwise your bankrupt and owe the irs.

There NEEDS to be some sort of deflation on Shaymin EX. If you want to play this game competitively it's the cheapest of TCG's to do so, but first you have to bite the bullet and spend about £100 on four cards. That's not a good look for any TCG.

I have a playset and would be super happy if they got reprinted in easily obtainable and large print run sets somewhere. It would overall be better for the game in every way.

And for those who are saying play without it, I dare you to find me any top four cities lists from anywhere in US or Europe that doesn't include at least one. Like seriously if anyone has had any success without shaymin it must be in the statistical outliers. You need shaymin to compete. They should be slightly easier to find.

Gallade / Octillery was pretty solid towards the back of the cities season and that didn't run any Shaymin. But I do agree that if you are going to be competitive need Shaymin.

I think it would be a great idea to tin Shaymin EX. I'll admit that I dropped $70 on 2 of 'em, but I support the lowering of overall card prices. One of the reasons I chose Pokemon over MTG to get back into is because of the affordability of the cards. Even though I have a job that will allow me to splurge on good cards, I can't justify MTG's outrageous prices. If Pokemon emphasizes equal access to the cards, at more affordable costs, then it can make the environment healthier and accomdating to all players.

There NEEDS to be some sort of deflation on Shaymin EX. If you want to play this game competitively it's the cheapest of TCG's to do so, but first you have to bite the bullet and spend about £100 on four cards. That's not a good look for any TCG.

I have a playset and would be super happy if they got reprinted in easily obtainable and large print run sets somewhere. It would overall be better for the game in every way.

And for those who are saying play without it, I dare you to find me any top four cities lists from anywhere in US or Europe that doesn't include at least one. Like seriously if anyone has had any success without shaymin it must be in the statistical outliers. You need shaymin to compete. They should be slightly easier to find.

MTG does it for all of their cheap competitive decks, their player based is 10 times the size of ours, they don't have these issues you mentioned, also these cards are not universal between each deck so that's 200 pre deck for 4 cards they need to have per deck where as we only need to have 2 for every deck, so again I don't see the issue your mentioning. So there doesn't need to be a lowered rate, people need to bite the bullet trade in their mega charizards for shaymins and enjoy the fact that they now have competitive decks.

Also 2 groudon lists went to top 2 of regionals this past weekend, 1 won 1 regionals, the other came in second place at another regionals, neither of them ran a single shaymin, your logic is flawed.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, TPCi doesn't really care so long as the player base still is playing...

MTG does it for all of their cheap competitive decks, their player based is 10 times the size of ours, they don't have these issues you mentioned, also these cards are not universal between each deck so that's 200 pre deck for 4 cards they need to have per deck where as we only need to have 2 for every deck, so again I don't see the issue your mentioning. So there doesn't need to be a lowered rate, people need to bite the bullet trade in their mega charizards for shaymins and enjoy the fact that they now have competitive decks.

Also 2 groudon lists went to top 2 of regionals this past weekend, 1 won 1 regionals, the other came in second place at another regionals, neither of them ran a single shaymin, your logic is flawed.

Well that's awesome news about Groudon making a come back. It's a cheap and fun deck. But if everyone starts playing Groudon the best way to counter that is Vespiquen, which needs shaymin. Which format was that btw standard or expanded? I'm guessing at expanded.

As on the subject of MTG. I am an ex national top 8 player, and trust me when I say the more you spend the better win percentage you are gonna have in that game. Especially if you try to keep up with standard or modern, I'm retired to just playing EDH/commander now because of the insane cost of winning out the metagame.

Unfortunately, TPCi doesn't really care so long as the player base still is playing...

But that's my point, without expansion player bases decay at a slow rate. If everyone needs Shaymin and they are too hard or expensive for people to get then the player base will start shrinking. People grow out of it, other hobbies or life choices or circumstances take over. There is a distinct gap between a budget deck in pokemon with or without shaymin. Nightmarch and Vespiquen are both great starter budget competitive decks. A lot of the little kids and teens play them around my area, but the people who have bought the 3-4 shaymin you need will always win. If you play competitively then try imagining how you would win a nightmarch mirror match where the lists were identical but he ran 3 shaymin and you didn't run any. 3 roller skates? 2-2 Octillery line? They aren't bad cards. But they aren't a shay substitute.

There really aren't any other tier 1/2 budget lists. Everything else needs multiple EX's and still runs shaymins. Apart from maybe Groudon making a come back. That's what I liked about ace specs. I didn't mind spending £15-20 on a computer search cause you only ever needed one.

Back