Fun Should Shaymin EX be tinned?

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
Shaymin EX has become a staple in many builds, especially in XY-on where Supporter options are limited. Getting a pair of Shaymin EX can be the most expensive part of a deck and could be seen as an entry barrier.

Do you think Shaymin EX should be or could be tinned?

asdjklghty

-------------
I think it should be but whether it would be is highly unlikely. Shaymin is reminiscent of Uxie from Legends Awakened and that was only printed once. Cards like these will never be reprinted since TPCi wants to make lots money off it. An exception would MewTwo and Darkrai which both received tins later in the year they were first printed.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I personally think it should be, for the sake of its stapleness for people starting the game. Will that happen? Unlikely.

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
I don't like when staples get to costly when the entire game is being revolved around it. It's not a deck choice, but a staple component that stretches across nearly all meta decks. Shaymin EX has joined the ranks of Pokemon Catcher and Mewtwo EX, a strong argument for Tropical Beach as well. The situations for these cards are unique, but they all provided a barrier. The positive of this is every one of those cards got a reprint.

If they plan on keeping Shaymin EX a vital part of the TCG, a tin would be great for the competitive base, and I'd like to see it released sooner rather than later.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
It would be different was a 3-4 of in every deck, but it is ususally a 1-2 of. That can be about 40 dollars to buy 2, which isn't terribly pricy. You can'y join a TCG and expect for all cards to be around the same price and rarity or else it wouldn't be fun to play and collect.

crann777

I See You
It would be different was a 3-4 of in every deck, but it is ususally a 1-2 of. That can be about 40 dollars to buy 2, which isn't terribly pricy. You can'y join a TCG and expect for all cards to be around the same price and rarity or else it wouldn't be fun to play and collect.
It's also a game which targets a much younger demographic than most any other TCG on the market. I'm not discounting that there are allot (and I mean ALLOT) of brats who probably bug their parents to buy then shiny new cards, but it's a little different asking a kid to fork over $80 for two cards than a teenager. At this point producing a Shaymin EX tin, especially around the holidays, is TPCi printing money and moving some old packs.

asdjklghty

-------------
I don't like when staples get to costly when the entire game is being revolved around it. It's not a deck choice, but a staple component that stretches across nearly all meta decks. Shaymin EX has joined the ranks of Pokemon Catcher and Mewtwo EX, a strong argument for Tropical Beach as well. The situations for these cards are unique, but they all provided a barrier. The positive of this is every one of those cards got a reprint.

If they plan on keeping Shaymin EX a vital part of the TCG, a tin would be great for the competitive base, and I'd like to see it released sooner rather than later.
Wait, Catcher was expensive once? It quickly got reprinted in Dark Explorers after its first printing.

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
Wait, Catcher was expensive once? It quickly got reprinted in Dark Explorers after its first printing.

IIRC Pokemon Catcher topped out around $15 a piece and was pretty much a 4-0f in every deck. It was also in demand when Mewtwo EX was dominate, so there was 2 different expensive cards that were included in nearly every build. The SR Pokemon Catcher didn't affect the value of Pokemon Catcher that greatly. It wasn't until the reprint in Plasma Blast that the value really dropped off only to receive an errata a set later which destroyed its value completely.

Doomdesirer

Stardoom warrior
Dear god if this card were put in a tin two things would happen.
1) The card would lose value, losing pokemon money
2) Everyone would have them and trading for them is pointless

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
It's also a game which targets a much younger demographic than most any other TCG on the market. I'm not discounting that there are allot (and I mean ALLOT) of brats who probably bug their parents to buy then shiny new cards, but it's a little different asking a kid to fork over $80 for two cards than a teenager. At this point producing a Shaymin EX tin, especially around the holidays, is TPCi printing money and moving some old packs.
* A lot
Sure, tinning will help more people have access to Shaymin EX, but what you are saying is that if a good/shiny card comes out it should be tinned to appeal to the lower demographic. I disagree with this. The fact that some cards are rarer then others makes opening packs and trading for cards fun.
Also, what is the difference between brats who bug their parents to buy them new shiny cards and paying 40-80 dollars for Shaymin EXs? If they can already have access to their parent's funds like you said why wouldn't they be able to afford 2 Shaymin EX from their parents?
Being a competitive player means you'll have to spend more money anyways on trips, food, and cards. The people who do well, 6 to 36 in age, all travel a ton and play test with every deck and can afford multiple Shaymin EX (or at least have access to them). The younger non-competitive demographic you are talking about has no idea really how good Shaymin EX really is (let alone what its worth), and would easily trade it away for a cooler looking card, like Charizard EX, Rayquaza EX, etc.
I'd agree with you that printing Shaymin EX in tins would be good for Pokemon economically, but I don't think it will matter too much. They are already printing 3 legendaries this Fall: Rayquaza, Latios, and Hoopa. The younger demographic, unknowing of how good the cards are will easily go for the Pokemon they like most.

Scubasage

Aspiring Trainer

1) Once a card is out of the pack, TPCi doesn't make money off of it. So whether a highly sought after card is $5 or $500, TPCi makes the same amount of money.
2) Nobody is trading Shaymin-EXs cause they're worth so much, so unless you're trading stuff like FA Mewtwo-EX or Secret Rares, nobody is even going to bother.

It would be a very good idea to have it in a Tin, mostly because of supply issues. The only store in my entire city that has them, has them at $60, and they only have 2. The other 5 major card shops all are sold out, and have been for over a month now.

CYL

All hail Eevee!
I think it should be but whether it would be is highly unlikely. Shaymin is reminiscent of Uxie from Legends Awakened and that was only printed once. Cards like these will never be reprinted since TPCi wants to make lots money off it. An exception would MewTwo and Darkrai which both received tins later in the year they were first printed.
Not reprinting them would not allow TPCi to make a lot of money for it. It'll allow people or sites like T&T to make money, but not directly TPCi. Uxie was a regular card, and as such, could not be tinned; if TPCi wants to make a lot of money, the best thing they could do would be to reprint it in a later set or make some kind of tin/box with a Shaymin-EX inside to drive up the price.

CYL

All hail Eevee!
1) TPCi would actually make money off making the tins.
2) That would be a good thing.

asdjklghty

-------------
Not reprinting them would not allow TPCi to make a lot of money for it. It'll allow people or sites like T&T to make money, but not directly TPCi. Uxie was a regular card, and as such, could not be tinned; if TPCi wants to make a lot of money, the best thing they could do would be to reprint it in a later set or make some kind of tin/box with a Shaymin-EX inside to drive up the price.
There have been non Lv.X cards like Claydol that was reprinted. Reprinting may not actually drive up the price. Remember what happened with Darkrai EX and MewTwo EX? When the tins came out, the value of Mewtwo EX and Darkrai EX (RA of course) dropped considerably. Collectors and players got frustrated when the value of their cards went down. A $45 Darkrai EX now became a $15 IIRC. So generally speaking, reprinting doesn't give TPCi more money in the sense that they can keep the money. It just splits the income from the regular prints and promos.

Last edited:

Scubasage

Aspiring Trainer
There have been non Lv.X cards like Claydol that was reprinted. Reprinting may not actually drive up the price. Remember what happened with Darkrai EX and MewTwo EX? When the tins came out, the value of Mewtwo EX and Darkrai EX (RA of course) dropped considerably. Collectors and players got frustrated when the value of their cards went down. A $45 Darkrai EX now became a $15 IIRC. So generally speaking, reprinting doesn't give TPCi more money in the sense that they can keep the money. It just splits the income from the regular prints and promos.

It makes them more money because most players aren't going to be buying packs in hopes of getting the Darkrai, they'll just buy it at $45 from a secondary seller like T&T or their local card shop. Absolutely zero of that $45 is going to TCPi, beyond the original amount they got from selling the pack it was opened from.

Whereas when they released the tin, they get a portion of that $15 every time, and players get to get their Darkrais cheap. It's a win for players, it's a win for TCPi, and it's only a loss for the shops that sell overpriced singles and the players that abuse that secondary market.

asdjklghty

-------------
There are many that get promo EXs as singles. And if you think of the parents, especially whom this thread seems to be targeting especially, do you really think they'll spend $15 ($20-25 CAD since I'm in Canada) for each tin of Shaymin got released? No. They'll most likely buy from singles.

Yveltal EX was worth about $8 near Cities and the promo was worth $7. I'm sure people just got singles instead of getting the tin. I know I did well for 2 of my Yveltals.

Scubasage

Aspiring Trainer
Parents would definitely go for tins over singles. Their kid gets more cards to play with. Especially since they don't understand about card prices usually, they won't pay $15 for 1 card but will pay $20 for the card and 4 packs.

And yes, many players will buy it as singles...but TCPi still made the money off the tins in the first place. Players will also be paying less for the singles compared to if there was no tin. The only people hurt by this are people who want the cards for how expensive they are, not for actually using them, and the stores that overprice their cards because they can.

CYL

All hail Eevee!

Not really. Firstly, the LV.X bit applied to Uxie LA, which I said wouldn't be tinned as it wasn't a LV.X/EX/ex.
Neither am I stating that it'll drive up the price. My point was that, if TPCi decided to tin/reprint Shaymin-EX, they would make money off it as a lot people would be buying it. The price of the card for collectors would definitely drop, but why would TPCi care?

asdjklghty

-------------
Not really. Firstly, the LV.X bit applied to Uxie LA, which I said wouldn't be tinned as it wasn't a LV.X/EX/ex.
Neither am I stating that it'll drive up the price. My point was that, if TPCi decided to tin/reprint Shaymin-EX, they would make money off it as a lot people would be buying it. The price of the card for collectors would definitely drop, but why would TPCi care?
Refer to the last sentence of the quote. It won't give TPCi much more money since the income is split between the regular prints and promos. The regular prints get halved or quartered and the promos are cheap. The result is the income from a card is the same as before the card received a reprint. A $45 MewTwo now becomes $15 for the regular print and $8 for the promo.

Scubasage

Aspiring Trainer
Refer to the last sentence of the quote. It won't give TPCi much more money since the income is split between the regular prints and promos. The regular prints get halved or quartered and the promos are cheap. The result is the income from a card is the same as before the card received a reprint. A $45 MewTwo now becomes $15 for the regular print and $8 for the promo.

That's not how it works. Regardless of whether a card is $45 or 5 cents, TCPi gets the same amount of money from it. They only get their money from sealed product. Singles being sold after being opened from a pack, deck, tin or whatever, none of that revenue goes to TCPi.

And pack sales drop drastically as time goes on. Meaning although Shaymin EX is very expensive and very hard to find, TCPi isn't making any extra money off of Roaring Skies from it. So if they release a tin with it, they'll be sure to make a ton of money since the demand is very high and the supply is low.