Fun Should Shaymin EX be tinned?

TCPi can kind of have both ways.

Let's say Shaymin EX is intended to be a staple for the entire season, TCPi can release the tin later in the season, after the 2nd or 3rd set of the year. By this time many of the serious competitive players will already have playsets, will have already bought boxes/crates trying to pull them, and will have already gotten plenty of use from them. This opens up Shaymin EX play for more casual people, parents, and people who play on a budget. These specific type of players don't look at, say, the Blastoise EX tin and think "hey, I could throw one of those into my build", but they would with Shaymin EX. Shaymin is also a popular Pokemon that will garner the interest of collectors, even those who own both version of the ROS Shaymin EX.

Think that's right. Even if they produced a whole lot more of Roaring Skies and didn't reprint Shaymin, it doesn't mean that people continue buying the packs. On the other hand, making a tin would make them a lot of profit because, let's face it, they're usually ripping us off for our tins. We're paying quite a lot for tins; even if you subtract the boosters inside, you're still paying a substantial amount for the tin and the card, which they take as the perfect reason to charge you 20 times the money needed to produce it.
I got only a Rayquaza from the pack. Did the tutorial twice.
Look. It's been said two times before - once by me and once by Scuba - and you're not getting the point.
On one hand, TPCi does want the game to be accessible. If you're a kid who likes playing but could equally play some other TCG game, and the one card required in the current Pokémon metagame is $50 apiece, why would you continue playing? That leads to TPCi losing revenue as players become disinterested due to its inaccessibility.
On the other hand, TPCi only cares about revenue. How much Shaymin-EX is sold for by large sites like Troll & Toad or users on Ebay doesn't change how much money they get. Tinning the Shaymin would make a lot of players pounce on it, which would increase their revenue.
Legends Awakened was released around August 2008. The next tins to come out were the 2008 Fall Collector's Tins, which featured Mewtwo LV.X and Rhyperior LV.X. Uxie was a regular rare, not a holo, not a LV.X. They simply couldn't have tinned it because it wasn't a LV.X!
Guys, be realistic please. The Fall tins have already been announced. Pokemon doesn't tin cards released from the previous year. So any chances of Shaymin being tinned is looking bleak. If Shaymin does get reprinted, it'll probably be a secret rare in another set or simply reprinted. I'd genuinely be shocked if TPCi does something new and tins Shaymin, a year old card.

I got only a Rayquaza from the pack. Did the tutorial twice.
Guys, be realistic please. The Fall tins have already been announced. Pokemon doesn't tin cards released from the previous year. So any chances of Shaymin being tinned is looking bleak. If Shaymin does get reprinted, it'll probably be a secret rare in another set or simply reprinted. I'd genuinely be shocked if TPCi does something new and tins Shaymin, a year old card.

You can do the tutorial twice?
That's why I said it might be reprinted in a later set... though I didn't know they already announced the Fall tins.

Post Removed
And to answer your jabs:

1. post #12, CYL - "the best thing they could do would be to reprint it in a later set or make some kind of tin/box". Yeah, that pretty much says 'reprint it in a later set'.
2. not knowing about the tins means I wasn't up to date. Isn't a great deal to be 'genuinely shocked' about. As I mentioned somewhere, I'm not competitive. Why in the world would it crush my hopes? Well, it did crush my hopes of having a Sylveon-EX Tin, but I wasn't expecting that anyways.
3. plus, do you understand that this thread was started before the tins were announced? (I think, though can't be sure.) That means that the principle still stands, even if it wasn't reality. Doesn't mean my (or Scuba's) arguments were false or wrong. They could easily have been right had not TPCi decided to release the tins with the aforementioned pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for the casuals there is always the world championship decks. Both lists had 2 Shaymin in. Archies toise even had two jirachi. So for the casuals who play at local leagues that don't mind, or just at home there is an easy way to get them now.

And to answer your jabs:

1. post #12, CYL - "the best thing they could do would be to reprint it in a later set or make some kind of tin/box". Yeah, that pretty much says 'reprint it in a later set'.
2. not knowing about the tins means I wasn't up to date. Isn't a great deal to be 'genuinely shocked' about. As I mentioned somewhere, I'm not competitive. Why in the world would it crush my hopes? Well, it did crush my hopes of having a Sylveon-EX Tin, but I wasn't expecting that anyways.
3. plus, do you understand that this thread was started before the tins were announced? (I think, though can't be sure.) That means that the principle still stands, even if it wasn't reality. Doesn't mean my (or Scuba's) arguments were false or wrong. They could easily have been right had not TPCi decided to release the tins with the aforementioned pokemon.
1. K.

2. As TC said, you should be more responsible knowing more about what you want to know about. Because of that, I kept wondering why you and others had hopes for a Shaymin tin (more explained below). You obviously check this site often so why not read more news this site has to offer? I understand summer vacation but still.

3. The tins were announced long before the Fall tins were announced. In fact, they were announced a long time ago. Source This is why I couldn't wrap my head around why others had hope that Shaymin could be tinned since, I assumed that you visit this site often and presumably read the news as it's the front page. And as for the last sentence, I'm sure TPCi decided from the get go they don't want to tin that card at least not in the near future or without breaking their conventions of not tinning year old cards.

Last edited:
Shaymin-EX could still be printed in the March 2016 tins. That's less than a year since the May release of Roaring Skies. That's 10 months away, and they have a precedence for an 8 months release with the October 2014 tins, having Blastoise EX and Venusaur EX from February 2014's XY base set.

Shaymin-EX could still be printed in the March 2016 tins. That's less than a year since the May release of Roaring Skies. That's 10 months away, and they have a precedence for an 8 months release with the October 2014 tins, having Blastoise EX and Venusaur EX from February 2014's XY base set.
But you have to understand this. The first tins will definitely be the EXs from XY9 or the previous set like they always do. That would be the first to release EXs not from the latest set for the Spring Tins.
The Next Destinies tins contained 3 EXs from the latest set at that time. Later that year the last tins were from that year's sets. In 2013, the first wave of tins were all from Boundaries Crossed, approximately 4 months earlier, no where near the time window that Shaymin has and next year's first tins.

I think at this point the horse has been beaten to death. A tin is highly unlikely.

1. K.

2. As TC said, you should be more responsible knowing more about what you want to know about. Because of that, I kept wondering why you and others had hopes for a Shaymin tin (more explained below). You obviously check this site often so why not read more news this site has to offer? I understand summer vacation but still.

3. The tins were announced long before the Fall tins were announced. In fact, they were announced a long time ago. Source This is why I couldn't wrap my head around why others had hope that Shaymin could be tinned since, I assumed that you visit this site often and presumably read the news as it's the front page. And as for the last sentence, I'm sure TPCi decided from the get go they don't want to tin that card at least not in the near future or without breaking their conventions of not tinning year old cards.

2 & 3. Probably missed it then. Doesn't matter now.

Personally, I'd really like to see Shaymin tinned. Do I think it'll happen? Not necessarily, especially since the fall tins have already been announced. As a teenager, my parents will not pay for me to buy a thirty to forty dollar card; they'd think it was ridiculous. I don't know how many people are in a similar position, but easier accessibility is why I'd want a tin. I think that would be a legitimate reason for TPCi to make a tin, because at least in my opinion, a lot of people would want the tin. At the same time, I don't know much about how or why the TPCi does things; I started playing competitively like six months ago. I just figured since some cards like Keldeo EX and Darkrai EX got tins, it might not be super unrealistic for Shaymin EX to have one too.

Personally, I'd really like to see Shaymin tinned. Do I think it'll happen? Not necessarily, especially since the fall tins have already been announced. As a teenager, my parents will not pay for me to buy a thirty to forty dollar card; they'd think it was ridiculous. I don't know how many people are in a similar position, but easier accessibility is why I'd want a tin. I think that would be a legitimate reason for TPCi to make a tin, because at least in my opinion, a lot of people would want the tin. At the same time, I don't know much about how or why the TPCi does things; I started playing competitively like six months ago. I just figured since some cards like Keldeo EX and Darkrai EX got tins, it might not be super unrealistic for Shaymin EX to have one too.
Totally agreed. What I was saying with the accessbility that TPCi would hopefully offer, so that they could increase their own revenue.

Competitive cards can be tinned/released as promos but as I've stated on multiple occasions, Shaymin looks to be one of the cards that are of player's/collector's value meaning TPCi wants them to be TCG status items. The case with the EXs you mentioned is different then Shaymin since since support splashable Pokemon don't get tinned often. MewTwo is splashable but even when it was still good it didn't benefit almost every deck the way Shaymin does. History has shown tin promos are either some competitive cards with junk tins as well.

Not sure where the post was, but someone was talking about Uxie's non-reprint-ability because it wasn't a LV.X
The card wasn't reprinted, but given away at Leagues in the 2nd season it was in rotation. This brought down the price of the card significantly.

Competitive cards can be tinned/released as promos but as I've stated on multiple occasions, Shaymin looks to be one of the cards that are of player's/collector's value meaning TPCi wants them to be TCG status items. The case with the EXs you mentioned is different then Shaymin since since support splashable Pokemon don't get tinned often. MewTwo is splashable but even when it was still good it didn't benefit almost every deck the way Shaymin does. History has shown tin promos are either some competitive cards with junk tins as well.

I know support Pokemon don't get tins very often, but out of the tins lately from what I can see, plenty of them have been usable cards. And just because they don't get tins often, doesn't mean they never do. Shaymin, as a support Pokemon, could get a tin, but I don't think it's very likely, as I said in my original post. I would like one, and I do think it's a possibility, even if it's not a large possibility. Also, is there really a such thing as TCG status items? I've never really heard of anything like that, but then again, I haven't been playing long.

I edited my post and quoted the source.

That's exactly why TPCi doesn't want to release it as a promo! MewTwo is slashable but it's not a support Pokemon. I don't understand why you can't see what I'm saying. Of course those 3 EXs you mentioned got released as promos. They aren't as useful as Shaymin is. TPCi wants people to either spend $30-40 for each Shaymin by which many won't want to or buy crates of booster boxes to hope to pull a couple. Either way, TPCi makes money. Whether vendors open up crates and resells them or people buy a bunch of packs, it makes no difference. TPCi wins.

Well you are so wrong on that one my dear sir. When Mewtwo was at the point to have the value it had, which was even higher than Shaymin EX's value is right now, it was played in pretty much EVERY SINGLE DECK since it was its only reliable counter to itself. There was pretty much only one alternative to playing a Mewtwo... which was playing a Darkrai Deck, which was surprisingly one of the other tin promos. Additionally Darkrai was played in MANY decks for its ability too. Rayquaza was also an important attacker but not as important as the other two cards.

Additionally we got two more support Pokémon printed as Tin-Promo: Thundurus EX and Deoxys EX. They both had at release the potential to climb to prizes as high as Darkrai and Mewtwo did, since they were playable in many variants and Thundurus was at that time the only reliable way to get back your special Energy.

And we did never see a Genesect or Virizion Tin since, as you stated they wre only needed for one special deck. However, to stay competitive nowadays you pretty much have to at least have two or more copies of Shymin EX. I would say that the situation is comparable to the Mewtwo one, so that would speak for a Tin reprint.

Omg I've said this time and time again. Was Uxie ever reprinted? No. You guys keep having the presupposition that TPCi wants to make the game still very accessible.

Update: I only got a Rayquaza EX from the pack.

And you are wrong again!
Uxie WAS reprinted, many people don't know that, but it was reprinted as something even MORE accesible than a Tin-Promo: It was reprinted as a League Promo
(http://www.trollandtoad.com/p286658.html). As were pretty many playable Non Lv.X Cards from this era like: Roseanne's Research or the other HUGE support Pokemon: Claydol.
You see, TPCI actually ALWAYS did something to make prices for staples, that need to be played in many decks low enough that entering the scene gets easier and if you look at it, it makes sense:

If it is easier to get into competitive play you will try it more likely and then stay more likely, and THAT is, when Pokémon can make most money out of you.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Keldeo EX, one of the BIGGEST support Pokémon in the last few years, who was surprisingly also a tin promo...

When Mewtwo was at the point to have the value it had, which was even higher than Shaymin EX's value is right now
Which is why Shaymin will never need to be reprinted as a tin promo. I get that MewTwo and Darkrai got tins but Zekrom and Reshiram did as well. You know what they all have in common? They're attackers. I'll say TPCi pulled something different with Shaymin since it's not an attacker it's Support. It's also an EX so you can't reprint it as a league promo but definitely not as a tin either. This way, TPCi ensured they'll collect lots of money since the price has to remain higher than many other cards.

I know Uxie and Claydol were reprinted as Leagues I forgot.

Tropical Beach was never reprinted as a promo or in any set and you can't deny the fact many decks needed to run it. Granted it's not a perfect analogy but the principle behind it is the same as Shaymin's; more money for TPCi. It's a fact that reprints lower value of cards which can cause lower income because no one's hustling to try to get copies of a card before they're gone.

Say what you want but that doesn't change the fact that it's gonna be a year since Shaymin has been printed and there's no sign of a tin reprint. History says tin promos are never reprints if the original and promo are 10 months apart. The upcoming ones are junk reprints of Machamp, MewTwo and Gyarados, hardly universal cards, just like 99% of tins that have been released.

Even reading through this thread I'm not sure where the assumption that because the card is worth a lot, that TCPI benefit from that at all. All that mark-up goes to the people reselling them as singles.

It would make a lot of sense from a financial standpoint for them to release a Shaymin tin. It would easily become one of their top selling tins ever. Players on the verge of competitiveness (i.e., those who know the value of Shaymin in a deck but not so much that they tracked down singles for €35 a pop) would snap them up and buy multiple tins.

However, making sense is not exactly synonymous with how PCL & TCPi seem to operate so I've zero expectations that they will do that.

Back