Pokemon Pokemon Plotholes Discussion Thread

It's expanding on the 'Magikarp is indestructable' dicussion that was had a few pages back.

Plus, it's funny as hell.

Okay, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but let's take a look at Tyrogue. Or more specifically, the fact that they're all male. How do they reproduce? The only way possible would be with a Ditto. Now take, for instance, where these Pokémon appear in HeartGold & SoulSilver.
Tyrogue: Mt. Mortar
Ditto: Routes 34, 35, 47, Cerulean Cave, Safari Zone
And since Tyrogue's evolutions aren't available in the wild anywhere, does this mean Tyrogue and its evos just never reproduce (at least in Johto) and their population is shrinking, or do they just never die?

^Not female ones.
I was just using it as an example, anyways. Tauros, the other Hitmons, Nageki, Dageki, Washiban, and Wargle are all of the other all-male Pokémon, but I didn't bother naming them all until now.

Which came first?

Mew - The ancestor of all Pokémon

or

Arceus - The god of all Pokémon?

According to the pokedex descriptions, Mew is only believed by scientists to be the ancestor of all pokemon, and Arceus is described in mythology and legends as having created the universe. The scientists could've been wrong, the myths could've been wrong.

Neither corresponds to solid, actual fact, so exactly how much in that mythology or scientific theory is truth within the story remains a mystery, and probably will remain so indefinitely.

You can think of it as how in real life there are so many different beliefs on how the world was created from the different religious perspectives to the scientific perspectives as well.

its funny how every generation they add on another part of the legendary story, like arceus was god, but reshi and zekky were protecting the egg that was arceus (i heard this). So where did they come from....?

^Yeah, sometime they're gonna run out of Legendaries, seeing as they keep having to one-up the last one.
Maybe they came from wherever Arceus' egg came from?
On that same topic, what came first? The Arceus or the egg?

reshi and zekky were protecting the egg that was arceus (i heard this)

Never heard of it tbh.

Plus each generation's legendaries tend to be confined to their respective regions. For example, we never really saw any correlation between Arceus and say, Lugia/Ho-oh

On that same topic, what came first? The Arceus or the egg?

Technically it was Arceus, as according to myth, it came from an egg where there was nothing.

How are so many Pokemon such as Ratatta able to conjure electricity from nowhere...? Is it that in the Pokemon world, rats have that unexplainable power?

The Egg obviously came first, as Arceus hatched from it.
Well, if the myths are correct, that is - but what else are we to assume?

What do pokemon eat? They can't all live on berries! Staravia's info says that it eat bugs. So why in the world doesn't it eat a Burmy in the wild? Can you imagine Garydos, one of the biggest and scariest pokemon, eating plants? That's a giant hole in the plot. Why wouldn't a Salamane eat smaller pokemon, or even people? And in the anime, people eat meat. Meat! So they put pokemon like Milktank in their hamburgers. Excuse me, "pokeburgers". Or are their real cows and oher animals in the pokemon world. And another thing... Grass pokemon are related to plants right? So why do they allow people to eat their berry and fruit brothers? Wow. Now that I think about it, all the pokemon series are based on these plots. Well, thats pokemon for ya.

^In the anime, there are real-life animals in the pokeverse such as normal worms and bugs that people and pokemon eat.
In the games, they eat other Pokemon, and Kyurem eats humans. Otherwise, some Pokemon don't need to eat to live.

How does Ice Cream use Acid Armor? Acid Armor's description says: The user alters its cellular structure to liquify itself, sharply raising its Defense stat. So, your Ice Cream melts itself to raise defense? Wouldn't doing that make it a big mess?

And how do the Porygon line, despite being virtual, eat and breed?

slickmario said:
Where do the vines come from when pokemon use Vine Whip. Most specifically Chikorita and Snivy.

Actually that's a generalisation of the "Where does the XXXX come from when pokemon use the YYYY attack"

Most water and fire attacks are like that.

Back