Discussion Neglected Pokémon in the TCG

Another Mega to check off the list with today's Mega Salamence reveal. With the timing I'd bet we either see it in our Nov. set or as its own box.

I was hoping the eventual M-Salamence release would mark the debut of a Zinnia card... am I going to have to start a list of Neglected Trainers too?!?

those sinnoh pokemon are so neglected
the only way I could see them coming back is with a remake of diamond & pearl like HopeDiamond ShinyPearl idk lol

TemporalDiamond and CelestialPearl would be cool.. But that's off topic.
So some Pokemon with genre differences, like Wooper, haven't been seen in both variations.
Please, Pokemon Company, female Wooper card! :)

Last edited:
Yeah, a lot of the more obvious gender differences have been ignored. Personally I'd love to see a female Hippowdon.
o5OTPRT.gif

When will we see a new Abra card??? The latest Abra card was from DP: Mysterious Treasures from 2007, that was 9 years ago!!! Think about it for a moment, we have had the Platinum, HGSS, BW and XY era without a single Abra card! Not even the latest set Fates Collide had an Abra card!

Last edited:
When will we see a new Abra card??? The latest Abra card was from DP: Mysterious Treasures from 2007, that was 9 years ago!!! Think about it for a moment, we have had the Platinum, HGSS, BW and XY era without a single Abra card! Not even the latest set Fates Collide had an Abra card!

The only way we can get both Abra and Kadabra is if the Pokémon fans can persuade both Uri Geller and the Pokémon Company to come to a compromise, and allow Kadabra back into the limelight again. Without the Abra and Kadabra, the sixteen Pokémon babies (Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Azurill, Wynaut, Budew, Chingling, Bonsly, Mime Jr., Happiny, Munchlax, and Mantyke) can't be released on card again.

It is because of Uri Geller that Kadabra fans are suffering this pathetic and unneeded injustice!

Though I suppose Kadabra gives all Pokémon fans a valid motive for wanting Uri Geller and his entire legal team DEAD!

The only way we can get both Abra and Kadabra is if the Pokémon fans can persuade both Uri Geller and the Pokémon Company to come to a compromise, and allow Kadabra back into the limelight again. Without the Abra and Kadabra, the sixteen Pokémon babies (Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Azurill, Wynaut, Budew, Chingling, Bonsly, Mime Jr., Happiny, Munchlax, and Mantyke) can't be released on card again.

It is because of Uri Geller that Kadabra fans are suffering this pathetic and unneeded injustice!

Though I suppose Kadabra gives all Pokémon fans a valid motive for wanting Uri Geller and his entire legal team DEAD!
I'm confused -- why do you say that we can't have new cards for the Babies without Abra and Kadabra? We've had Baby cards as recent as Call of Legends.

Also it's possible to have Abra without Kadabra. The Mysterious Treasures Abra had a move which allowed it to evolve into Alakazam. TPC could just mimic that card. Or, they could release Abra without its evolutions (since every set has at least a couple incomplete lines).

Tonight, Mantine was revealed for XY11!

Mantine hasn't had a card since HGSS base; over six years ago!

Welcome back! :D

Considering we haven't had a Cofagrigus card since the old Plasma sets, I'm hoping to see one within the next two sets before XY ends.

Considering Cofagrigus, Gourgeist, and Lampent are my three favorite Pokemon, my awful fantasy would be to give it an anti-Karen ability to keep Night March useable in expanded. Something like:

Gravekeeper
Pokemon may not be removed from either player's discard pile.

My List (the beginning of it, anyway).

Castrom- All forms need cards, don't just give me that 'but the others don't need to exist' rubbish, Pokémon.

Deoxys- All four forms; for some reason, Pokémon probably thinks that to make four different Deoxys cards, they need to make them all EX's and shiny. I just want them, I don't really care about an EX title!

Unown- So they gave us an Unown card in Ancient Origins, but to me that's just kinda slack. All they need to do is include all 28 like they did over the entirety of the Diamond and Pearl Era; obviously not all in one set.

Baby Pokémon; give them good abilities to make them viable for play.

Rotom; once again, all forms.

Same with Giratina and Arceus.

Also, this might seem a bit off-topic, but in terms of the actual game, how many years has it been since the Lost Zone was used? What a fun part of the game, and they completely abandoned it. Same with zero-cost energy attacks.

Looking through the list of what's in XY11 and what hasn't had an XY print yet, I think we can expect Sunkern/flora, considering we have Mantine now. We might also start seeing more Starter lines now that we've finished the Kalos BREAK trio. Looking at it all, I'm placing bets on Bulbasaur and Oshawott. Also, Darumaka/manitan (how cool would a dual-type Darmanitan Zen Mode be?).

Oh, and, Nidoking hype!

Nidoran M has been revealed! Unlike the Nidoqueen line, which was featured prominently in Primal Clash (including an AT card), Nidoking hasn't been seen since Plasma Freeze.

---

Also, this might seem a bit off-topic, but in terms of the actual game, how many years has it been since the Lost Zone was used? What a fun part of the game, and they completely abandoned it. Same with zero-cost energy attacks.
The Lost Zone and free attacks disappeared from cards with BW base, though they stuck around in play until BW-on. I agree that the Lost Zone added a lot to the game, but I think casual players never quite understood it because TPCi did a horrible job explaining what it is.

Zero-cost attacks are something I really miss too. I think weak Basics in Stage 2 lines especially benefited from them.

Last edited:
Welp, XY11 in its near-entirety has been revealed!

Outside of those we've talked about the past couple months, other notable returning Pokemon include:
  • Shellos/Gastrodon (last seen 7 years ago in Rising Rivals) -- they aren't split into West and East cards, however.
  • Fossil Pokemon! Shieldon/Bastiodon (8 and 7 years, respectively), Anorith/Armaldo (8 years!)
  • Aipom/Ambipom (last seen in Dragon's Exalted)
  • Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff (last seen in Dragon's Exalted)
  • Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape (last seen in Plasma Storm)
  • Foongus/Amoonguss (last seen in Plasma Storm)
  • Mankey/Primeape (last seen in Plasma Freeze)
  • Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott (last seen in Legendary Treasures)
  • Croagunk (last seen in Legendary Treasures, though Toxicroak has had an EX since)
  • Cobalion (last seen in Legendary Treasures)
  • Bergmite/Avalugg (they've only ever had 1 print each, in Flashfire)
*gives out Pokepuffs to our old friends*

Yeah, it's pretty crazy how many Pokemon who've been gone for half a decade or more have suddenly returned after this topic was made. Not saying the card creators over in Japan are reading it... but I'm also not not saying it. :p :p

Oh, I forgot to add the Klinklang line to the above list. They haven't been seen since Plasma Storm as well. And the Clawitzer line, like Avalugg, has only ever had one card (I always thought this was weird since it's such a cool design).

XY 11 has turned out to be almost as big a neglected Pokemon showcase as XY10!

Its like for 7 years TPC was thinking "we can't do Burmy there are too many forms!" Before realising they could simply have all three forms represented on the 1 card.

That would explain why they immediately did the same thing for the equally neglected Shellos-Gastrodon forms (multi forms is likely the main reason they were neglected so long and Im betting it's the same for Castform).

I think it's just as interesting who was left out than who was included...

1. So Shieldon gets a print but no Cranidos? It makes sense though that Anorith gets a print but not Lileep since Lileep got the same privilege in Plasma Blast.

2. At last Infernape has a modern format (Gen V on.) card that is not Team Plasma! Empoleon has been getting all the love, still no Torterra since Team Plasma though.

3. Mantine is back (woo!) but unsurprisingly no Mantyke. No Sunkern-Sunflora (fellow Gen II) or Chingling (A basic form with a baby in a later generations, just like Mantine) though.

4. Cobalion joins Virizion in the XY era, Terrakion is clearly not far off.

Only 21 Pokémon are left that have no prints from BW onward and that includes Abra-Kadabra (Unprintable) and the babies.

Another 46 have gotten a print in BW but not in XY

Last edited:
The XY block as a whole has been very good about spreading the love to forgotten older Pokemon after the abominations that were the BW sets (aka the all Unova all the time block).

Back