Discussion Neglected Pokémon in the TCG

We owe a lot to the gen V cards for the format that has carried on to Gen VI. Getting rid of the lost zone, lvl.X, Pokebody etc (essentially simplifying the game) and giving us EXs (a perfect medium for Mega Evolution)

That being said Gen V had a lot of issues.

My guess as to why they went Unova crazy is because a massive chunk of the Sinnoh Dex were baby and evolved forms of previous generations. Gen V likely wanted to move away from the nostalgia and completely overhaul the format.

Last edited:
I think Pichu will get a card in SM1
Why?
Because your rival has 1 along with a starter pokemon
and the first like 2 or 3 sets are based around the new generation (plus 5ban graphics which i really love their cards)
So maybe like pichu and some other ones but IDK

One baby Pokemon is likely if not guaranteed to bring back all baby Pokemon.

What annoys me also is that Togepi and Riolu are both baby Pokemon but are treated as basic.

Maybe there should be a special Pikachu, clefairy etc that are stage 1s from the baby form and are stronger than the basic form.

Personally, I stand by my idea that a baby form should have an ability that allows for the basic form to be played on top of it as an evolution and the basic then counts as a stage one and basic.

I think that will create many interesting dynamics in play

The previously Japan-exclusive Azelf promo will be in English 3-pack Steam Siege blisters!

Azelf hasn't been seen since Plasma Blast, alongside its buddies Uxie and Mesprit. Here's to hoping the whole Lake Trio is together again soon. ;3

The previously Japan-exclusive Azelf promo will be in English 3-pack Steam Siege blisters!

Azelf hasn't been seen since Plasma Blast, alongside its buddies Uxie and Mesprit. Here's to hoping the whole Lake Trio is together again soon. ;3
Also, we have Rayquaza, who we really needed a Print of. Its not like there was a literal BOMB of them a year ago.

Last edited:
Rayquaza needed a non-EX to balance the plethora of EXs I guess.

Lets take a minute to appreciate that the bloster promos for Fates Collide were Gastly, Froakie, Pansear and the most impressive was Vivillon...

But Steam Siege gets Azelf and Rayquaza

One baby Pokemon is likely if not guaranteed to bring back all baby Pokemon.

What annoys me also is that Togepi and Riolu are both baby Pokemon but are treated as basic.

Maybe there should be a special Pikachu, clefairy etc that are stage 1s from the baby form and are stronger than the basic form.

Personally, I stand by my idea that a baby form should have an ability that allows for the basic form to be played on top of it as an evolution and the basic then counts as a stage one and basic.

I think that will create many interesting dynamics in play
Togepi and Riolu are only babies by name. The reason they're basics is because they were released in the same generation as their evolutions.

And they don't want to overhaul how evolution works because every other pokemon with a baby form was a basic at some point in the TCG, which makes it too confusing for older players

Technically it wouldn't be overhauling the way evolution works any more than releasing evolved pokemon as basics changes it.

The idea that sometimes a pokemon is a basic and sometimes it can be a stage 1/2 isnt a new dynamic in tcg.

There are other ways of clarifying too such as making a stage 1 Pikachu that evolves from Pikachu have a unique name like "Friendship Pikachu".

This is of course 1 of many potential ideas

Rayquaza needed a non-EX to balance the plethora of EXs I guess.

Lets take a minute to appreciate that the bloster promos for Fates Collide were Gastly, Froakie, Pansear and the most impressive was Vivillon...

But Steam Siege gets Azelf and Rayquaza
i'm fairly sure steam siege is literally just gonna be xy11 from japan if not a couple of promos

I didn't think there was any doubt that Steam Siege is XY11.

Did I make it sound otherwise?

i'm fairly sure steam siege is literally just gonna be xy11 from japan if not a couple of promos
I'm pretty sure @ProcInc meant that Steam Siege gets Azelf and Rayquaza as blister promos, which seems more impressive than Gastly, Pansear and Froakie.

Back to topic though, I feel like the Furfrou cuts, other than the Heart, Star and Kabuki trims, have been neglected. It would be cool to have like a collection box, with each of the Furfrou trims, and while we're at it, a collection box with all the Vivillon patterns would be amazing (and expensive) too!

I feel like the Furfrou cuts, other than the Heart, Star and Kabuki trims, have been neglected. It would be cool to have like a collection box, with each of the Furfrou trims, and while we're at it, a collection box with all the Vivillon patterns would be amazing (and expensive) too!

And while we're at it let's get the other two Deerlings/Sawsbuck seasons we're missing.

Two of the most neglected Pokémon lately are obviously Rayquaza and Mewtwo...no, no one is buying that? Okay, fair enough.

We haven't had babies since HGSS for whatever reason and I say that should change. I for one want my fairy babies.

Back to topic though, I feel like the Furfrou cuts, other than the Heart, Star and Kabuki trims, have been neglected. It would be cool to have like a collection box, with each of the Furfrou trims, and while we're at it, a collection box with all the Vivillon patterns would be amazing (and expensive) too!
I'd love to see all the Furfrou styles as well. Ideally with different cards; of the 10 cards we've gotten so far, 8 have had the same moves. :p

maybe they could make a furfrou mini set

A la Unseen Forces (Unown), Rising Rivals (Rotom), Arceus (It's in the name), etc. Similarly, Deoxys could use some representation for its Formes (each with its own name, like in Legends Awakened, rather than the lazier method used before and since).

~SS

I feel like the best way for them to handle the Baby thing would be to dump all of them off in whatever the next mini-set is. Since they clearly don't seem to want to work around the issue of making babies balanced and playable, mini-sets tend to be geared toward collectors/artwork instead of changing the metagame and thus it'd be a win/win of ignoring the babies in the "main" sets while giving fans of babies some new cards after 5+ years. Will they do this? No, probably not. :/

I feel like the best way for them to handle the Baby thing would be to dump all of them off in whatever the next mini-set is. Since they clearly don't seem to want to work around the issue of making babies balanced and playable, mini-sets tend to be geared toward collectors/artwork instead of changing the metagame and thus it'd be a win/win of ignoring the babies in the "main" sets while giving fans of babies some new cards after 5+ years. Will they do this? No, probably not. :/
I think I'd prefer something similar to what they're currently doing with Fossils, by putting 1-2 Babies in each set for a while.

I think they could be balanced pretty easily. A few of the Babies in the HGSS era got some play. (I ran Mime Jr. a lot, myself.) Alternatively they can just be filler cards. :p

You people.... Submitting BABY pokemon to battle and get hurt? What is wrong with you? :p

IMO, they should stay out of battle and out of print. Its not like they are going to be of any use as a basic for battle purposes (if were being practical) and furthermore they will make the S1 (which was basic beforehand) even worse since to play it you need to meet a condition. Something tells me we won't be seeing them for a long time yet.

In generations alone we see: Magmar, Pikachu, Snorlax and Mr. Mime all of which have babies and all of which would need an S1 tag and all of which were released this year. If they released stronger S1s that evolved from babies would this make sense? Magmar (GEN) can't evolve from Magby but the new SM1 Magmar can? Sounds borked.

In generations alone we see: Magmar, Pikachu, Snorlax and Mr. Mime all of which have babies and all of which would need an S1 tag and all of which were released this year. If they released stronger S1s that evolved from babies would this make sense? Magmar (GEN) can't evolve from Magby but the new SM1 Magmar can? Sounds borked.

Well, the evolved Pokémon don't necessarily have to be Stage 1. They could just introduce "Baby Evolution" as an ability on the Baby Pokémon, or give them an Ancient Trait'ish power, where it states that Magmar can be put onto Magby. Or they could do what they did in the HGSS era, and have them not being able to evolve, and give them something like the "Sweet Sleeping Face" in an ability. That worked for Baby Pokémon like Cleffa, Pichu and Tyrogue, who, if I recall correctly, was in quite a few decks, back during the HGSS era.

This is what they should do, have both the Baby and the Evolution as basics, but the Baby has an ability that lets the baby evolve into the Evolution. If you do, the evolution gets some extra HP. Thats what I do in my fakes. I'll show you an example

Magby / 40 / Basic / [R]

Ability: Baby Evolution
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may put a Magmar from your hand onto Magby. If you do, Magmar gets + 30 HP

Mini Flame [R] 10
This pokemon is now asleep

Weakness [W] X 3 / [C] / 26 / C

Artwork:A Magby is trying to roast a berry

Back