Let's Do the 7th Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Let's Do the 7th Generation! - SIGN-UPS OPEN

Akwila said:
Actually no,

Engineered viruses are used to treat a plethora of diseases because they can be easily recoded, and specifically designed. Because they don't have very complicated systems (and are not living by definition), they can used as modern day nanites (microscopic robots) to carry out very simple tasks, enmasse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAsPupfqOJw

And for most of human history, viruses/viral diseases were indeed considered supernatural. This is where we get the romantic word for Influenza as it was thought the sickness was caused by the influence of the stars or cosmic powers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=influenza&oq=influenza&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1953j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=influenza+etymology&safe=off&spell=1

I actually studied, at length parasitology and virology in highschool. I know that doesn't really say much but, I was trying to base my senior thesis in a scientific study that showed and reconciled both theories that homosexuality is both genetic AND environment in humans (and possibly other vertebrates). Scrictly speaking, because a virus infects cells with new DNA and RNA combinations, they can and do create new combinations that are not your own and some times, make combination that are not even human. For instance, if you were to ENTIRELY sequence every single allele in your body (assuming you are under the age of 35), you would about >5% not human (even if the tissues you sampled were all biologically yours). This is why in some cases of identical twins one twin may develop freckles or moles, or different hair color, or even something as innocuous as being left handed while the other twin is right handed.

Omg... I just nerd-gasmed all over this thread...

That you did.
So you considered that homosexuality could be caused by viral mutations? I guess it's possible, statistically speaking. But watch out... the only word the ignorant masses fear more than "gay" is "contagious gay".

Anyway. The operative word there is "engineered". Sure, human made or modified viruses are a great asset to genetic therapies, but that doesn't have much to do with the concept we're handling here, and that concept is porygon, but bad. Well, not bad, maybe I misspoke before. This pokemon would be spiritually based on porygon. have powers based on viruses and be conceptually based on computer viruses.
Porygon is normal because no other type is applicable to it. Viruses... well, it's unclear, I'd say. they might have been considered ghosts once (note: they are not anymore), but that seems a flimsy connection, ghost is usually purely ghostly stuff. Computer viruses I think we can put them in the same category as porygon, normal, them being purely informatic and non-moral (hence why not dark).
And the design argument having been said, I move on. With that ability and the niche we are aspiring to get for it (competitively speaking) any type other than normal is a liabilty, normal keeps it being mostly unaffected by its own powers unless you want to, adding ghost would give it 3 weaknesses and remove two resistances. I wouldn't even bring this up on any other pokemon, but in this case, the concept and the competitive angle fit perfectly, each one supporting each other's reasons.

Summarizing, ghost type is not on the sources, and it's bad for the battling concept.

Re: Let's Do the 7th Generation! - SIGN-UPS OPEN

For me Normal/Ghost type is perfect for Virus.

By scientist, Virus is categorized as living and not living creature.

Virus becoming living when it is multiply by parasited other creature And categorized as not living creatured when incubite in body/air. Virus is cell type organism, but have no nucleus and way smaller than other one cell organism.

Virus can't died, only can 'disolved' by some chemical *usually soap type of chamical* when it's in air.

In other organism's body, virus either incubating or multiply *making reaction that make people sick*. That's why when you get virus' illness, you will never recover from it. Medicine you take just help you to maintain your body to condition when virus will incubite *become not living* but with many reason it can be activate again.

*also info remembered from high school material, hahahaha*

#I think is better to not use homosexual as example ^^;. This topic is sensitive for many reason.

How about vote?

professorlight said:
Akwila said:
Actually no,

Engineered viruses are used to treat a plethora of diseases because they can be easily recoded, and specifically designed. Because they don't have very complicated systems (and are not living by definition), they can used as modern day nanites (microscopic robots) to carry out very simple tasks, enmasse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAsPupfqOJw

And for most of human history, viruses/viral diseases were indeed considered supernatural. This is where we get the romantic word for Influenza as it was thought the sickness was caused by the influence of the stars or cosmic powers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=influenza&oq=influenza&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1953j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=influenza+etymology&safe=off&spell=1

I actually studied, at length parasitology and virology in highschool. I know that doesn't really say much but, I was trying to base my senior thesis in a scientific study that showed and reconciled both theories that homosexuality is both genetic AND environment in humans (and possibly other vertebrates). Scrictly speaking, because a virus infects cells with new DNA and RNA combinations, they can and do create new combinations that are not your own and some times, make combination that are not even human. For instance, if you were to ENTIRELY sequence every single allele in your body (assuming you are under the age of 35), you would about >5% not human (even if the tissues you sampled were all biologically yours). This is why in some cases of identical twins one twin may develop freckles or moles, or different hair color, or even something as innocuous as being left handed while the other twin is right handed.

Omg... I just nerd-gasmed all over this thread...

That you did.
So you considered that homosexuality could be caused by viral mutations? I guess it's possible, statistically speaking. But watch out... the only word the ignorant masses fear more than "gay" is "contagious gay".

Anyway. The operative word there is "engineered". Sure, human made or modified viruses are a great asset to genetic therapies, but that doesn't have much to do with the concept we're handling here, and that concept is porygon, but bad. Well, not bad, maybe I misspoke before. This pokemon would be spiritually based on porygon. have powers based on viruses and be conceptually based on computer viruses.
Porygon is normal because no other type is applicable to it. Viruses... well, it's unclear, I'd say. they might have been considered ghosts once (note: they are not anymore), but that seems a flimsy connection, ghost is usually purely ghostly stuff. Computer viruses I think we can put them in the same category as porygon, normal, them being purely informatic and non-moral (hence why not dark).
And the design argument having been said, I move on. With that ability and the niche we are aspiring to get for it (competitively speaking) any type other than normal is a liabilty, normal keeps it being mostly unaffected by its own powers unless you want to, adding ghost would give it 3 weaknesses and remove two resistances. I wouldn't even bring this up on any other pokemon, but in this case, the concept and the competitive angle fit perfectly, each one supporting each other's reasons.

Summarizing, ghost type is not on the sources, and it's bad for the battling concept.

I concluded that viral mutations would have a negligible if any contribution to homosexuality as defined by Dr. Kinsey. There was much stronger genetic evidence that such things are nearly entirely coded on the X sex chromosome inherited by the mother. But alas, even then, knowing this, the accuracy one can say "Your kid has this gene, he is going to be gay" is roughly 15%. So, there is still more to study and understand.

Back to actual Pokemon.

I think it would make things quite interesting to have a Normal/Ghost type. It would only be weak Dark and as such (being really resistant) should not be able to learn very many, if any, attacking moves over 60-80 base damage, and should not be offensive in stats. This would balance it.

As far as being logically or reasonably typed Normal/Ghost I really feel this would work just fine for a biological virus based pokemon. Viruses are not living; Ghosts are UNliving. Viruses come and go and can vary in their local impact on an organism; Ghosts (according to Pokemon) aren't in inherently evil but are inherently mischievous, fickle and creatures that are often shown as harming humans unintentionally. There is a very small connection here, but a better one than the connection between Mawile and it's steel typing, or even Dunsparce it lack of Fairy or Flying typing.

Just pointing out that the theory I had to justify the Ghost typing was that it came to life with unuse Porygon data. Making it a "ghost" of what it could be.

lovandra said:
Normal/Ghost type is perfect for Virus.

By scientist, Virus is categorized as living and not living creature.

Virus becoming living when it is multiply by parasited other creature And categorized as not living creatured when incubite in body/air. Virus is cell type organism, but have no nucleus and way smaller than other one cell organism.

Virus can't died, only can 'disolved' by some chemical *usually soap type of chamical* when it's in air.

In other organism's body, virus either incubating or multiply *making reaction that make people sick*. That's why when you get virus' illness, you will never recover from it. Medicine you take just help you to maintain your body to condition when virus will incubite *become not living* but with many reason it can be activate again.

*also info remembered from high school material, hahahaha*

Viruses are never considered to be living, no matter what they doing or where they are. They are only classified as active (when they are mobile or actively attacking a host organism). They are never considered dead, only inactive when they still have DNA payload sheathed but can no longer infect a host cell, and can no long move under their own processes.

To be classified as living an organism MUST:
-Consume energy (Viruses do not photosynthesize or metabolically consume fuel)
-Excrete waste (The only excretion a virus makes, is it's injection of DNA/RNA molecules)
-Respond to stimuli (Some viruses will respond to light, heat, cold, and move toward/away relative to particular organisms, but not all)
-Must reproduce (Viruses do not reproduce through meiosis or mitosis)
-Must be motile (Many Viruses are motile, some are not)

Re: RE: Let's Do the 7th Generation! - SIGN-UPS OPEN

Akwila said:
Viruses are never considered to be living, no matter what they doing or where they are. They are only classified as active (when they are mobile or actively attacking a host organism). They are never considered dead, only inactive when they still have DNA payload sheathed but can no longer infect a host cell, and can no long move under their own processes.

To be classified as living an organism MUST:
-Consume energy (Viruses do not photosynthesize or metabolically consume fuel)
-Excrete waste (The only excretion a virus makes, is it's injection of DNA/RNA molecules)
-Respond to stimuli (Some viruses will respond to light, heat, cold, and move toward/away relative to particular organisms, but not all)
-Must reproduce (Viruses do not reproduce through meiosis or mitosis)
-Must be motile (Many Viruses are motile, some are not)

I remember learn that Virus clasified as living *or debated as one* when it is active.

Still it was 6-7 years ago *high school for me* and I never learn it in Collage *took pshychology major*. So I maybe wrong ^^;.

Period. I won't discuss this further.

Well it is a good discussion to have when talking about making a pokemon inspired by a virus. Even if it isn't really real, it still has be believably plausible in fictional universe.

Akwila said:
It would only be weak Dark and as such (being really resistant)

Aren't you forgetting the ability? normal in inverse battles would be resistant to fighting and weak to ghost.
Normal / ghost, on the other hand, would be weak to normal, poison and bug, and any resistances would be canceled by weaknesses, fighting and ghost hitting neutral.

Akwila said:
Viruses are not living; Ghosts are UNliving.

But ghost type pokemon? Are they living? I think they are.

Keeper of Night said:
Just pointing out that the theory I had to justify the Ghost typing was that it came to life with unuse Porygon data. Making it a "ghost" of what it could be.

But if it was made like porygon, then why make it with a different type? porygon is data, this thing is data too... the only difference is what that data contains, not how it's physically made.

If you all think ghost is correct, then by all means go ahead. I've used pretty much everything I have at this point. I still think it should be pure normal for the reasons I stated, but vox populi, vox dei, I guess.

Well we have very specific pokedex entries conforming some pokemon are once living, then dead, then undead things, such as Yamask and Phantump.

Re: Let's Do the 7th Generation! - SIGN-UPS OPEN

After thinking what KoN said. I think better to make it Normal/Poison.

This virus pokemon will be something like Muk/Trabish *that trash pokemon, I forget the name* for Porigon *other pokemon*.

This pokemon will be something like negative porigon, right? So I think it have to be in same nature as porigon but negative. Negative as Normal, of course Ghost pokemon, but as proffesorlight said, that's kinda weird.

But, in my mind, this virus pokemon will attack pokemon by corrupted it's data, so it cann't be.... get in to pokeball and at same time hurt it every turn *Sound logic and interesting, right?*.

I'm not sure there is a move like this yet. Or it too overpowered or not ^^;.

But based on this characteristic I have in my mind, it will be interesting as Normal/Poison, right? *It have to be Normal cause it came from Porigon that is normal type*

Just my idea, what do you think?

Is any artist free at the moment? The Pokemon I've been working on could use some sketches and I've tried, but I'm just that horrible.

lovandra said:
After thinking what KoN said. I think better to make it Normal/Poison.

This virus pokemon will be something like Muk/Trabish *that trash pokemon, I forget the name* for Porigon *other pokemon*.

This pokemon will be something like negative porigon, right? So I think it have to be in same nature as porigon but negative. Negative as Normal, of course Ghost pokemon, but as proffesorlight said, that's kinda weird.

But, in my mind, this virus pokemon will attack pokemon by corrupted it's data, so it cann't be.... get in to pokeball and at same time hurt it every turn *Sound logic and interesting, right?*.

I'm not sure there is a move like this yet. Or it too overpowered or not ^^;.

But based on this characteristic I have in my mind, it will be interesting as Normal/Poison, right? *It have to be Normal cause it came from Porigon that is normal type*

Just my idea, what do you think?

As I said, I misspoke. It's not a negative porygon, nor evil or bad, but a similar pokemon, data made solid and intelligent, only this time, it's a computer virus, not a specifically designed software.

Turtwig said:
Is any artist free at the moment? The Pokemon I've been working on could use some sketches and I've tried, but I'm just that horrible.

QT or PM?

Re: RE: Let's Do the 7th Generation! - SIGN-UPS OPEN

professorlight said:
As I said, I misspoke. It's not a negative porygon, nor evil or bad, but a similar pokemon, data made solid and intelligent, only this time, it's a computer virus, not a specifically designed software.

So how about make it normal/poison? Same normal pokemon as porigon but can corrupt software, and maybe can poison electric/steel pokemon, etc. Just general idea.

lovandra said:
professorlight said:

So how about make it normal/poison? Same normal pokemon as porigon but can corrupt software, and maybe can poison electric/steel pokemon, etc. Just general idea.

Because the corruption part is already present on its unique ability (and, again, corruption implies intent, but it's not the appropriate word), poison is much more straightforward as for the process of the corruption, and even then it could be argued. The death pokemon is dark type, after all, not poison.

professorlight said:
QT or PM?

Doesn't matter to me. I've got basically everything but the designs down.

Turtwig said:
professorlight said:
QT or PM?

Doesn't matter to me. I've got basically everything but the designs down.

PM me, then.

And let's call haunted to the party, too. He brings the drinks. Ginger ale for me, haunted. with ice. Lots of ice.

The reasoning behind its normal typing is basically what professorlight said.
It's meant to be more like Porygon. Simply a "virus" made from Porygon's left over data. If it's Porygon's leftover data, it would naturally be Normal type. Regardless, it's able to change its type as it pleases to play the run around with its opponents.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, Work has kept be busy.
I got an idea on its stats.
BST 395
90/40/75/70/85/35
Feel free to suggest changes you would like to see. Keep in mind this Poke has an ability that inverts the type match ups and will (as soon as I finish its move pool) have one move of every type (offensively). When coupled with its field move "Antithesize" it makes its own type match ups "normal" and inverts the opponent's.

We don't need this thing to be too OP.

I would hate to be the code writer for this thing.

Akwila said:
I would hate to be the code writer for this thing.

Meh, they pretty much did it for the Inverse battles in X/Y.
Wouldn't imagine it being too difficult.

I like those stats, moose, same BST as porygon, but more offensively oriented. Good call giving it more HP, too.

The inverse battles are an XY mechanic, that's why I liked the idea. I don't think we should add any new mechanics in that scale. I'd guess it would be a matter of applying the change to specific pokemon or for a limited time, I'm sure it could be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back