Let's Do the 7th Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

professorlight

Ice Queen
RE: Let's Do the 7th Generation! - SIGN-UPS OPEN

Reggie McGigas said:
While Triceratops is my favorite dinosaur (Velocoraptor is pretty cool too) we already have Shieldon/Bastidon, based on the Torosaurus, a close relative of Triceritops. Shieldon/Bastidon aren't ferocious death monsters, so yeah.

I would prefer to have a Steel/Dragon because we already have a rock dragon in Tyrunt/Tyrantrum, and steel/dragon is a major want from most of the pokemon fanbase. It also shouldn't be a fossil because Shardagon loses its gimmick (a better word please, it's not really a gimmick, more of a selling point) as an early game dragon. This is just my opinion but if Shardagon and Drablade become rock/dragon fossils then they are tyrunt and tyrantrum clones. Plus, even though we have fossils that are rock type the point of this thread is to be creative, no?

Also, while the stegosaurs may be mellow it doesn't have to be in pokemon. Look at Golurk. Deadly living statue in real life, gentle giant in Pokémon. Lapras is the fearsome loch ness monster but it is a mellow, friendly pokemon.

I see nothing in the OP about tiers.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I do not think it is a good change from my opinion.

EDIT: Remembered that Time is the theme. If we could go back in the past we could find this Pokémon. Preferably early, well, because this is what everyone wants: an early game dragon.

Triceratops was just a suggestion, since you wanted your pokemon to be a dragon killer using steel type moves, I thought it was a good idea, since triceratops used its horns to kill tyrannosaurus and more (4x in tyrantrum) and it was also a good defensive pokemon, hence why the shieldon line are steel type.

I wasn't saying your dragons could become rock/dragon fossils, I was pointing out a possible direction if we ever do a stegosaurus; for your dragon to be a steel/dragon, it must not be a fossil, of course.

That said, if you want it to be an early game dragon (catchable in the past, since it would be based on a dinosaur) that's doable, but I was pointing out that a dragon/steel early game mon is too much. Why don't you make the prevo only dragon and a high level evolution? (40ish) that way you can get it early, have to work to make it dragon/steel and you get a powerful pokemon at a later and more challenging stage of the game.

You make a good point about the stegosaurus, however, you could use this instead:
Kentrosaurus_NT.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentrosaurus

I always saw stegosaurii as gentle creatures; this bastard, however, looks dangerous. You wouldn't want to mess with him. Also, as in the torosaurus case, GF didn't go with the more common known source, which could work on your favor. Also also, the kentrosaurus seems more offensively oriented than stegosaurus, And if I understood correctly, you want your dragon to be a sweeper, or bulky and offensive.

The tier stuff isn't in the OP, because miraculuosly, noone else had brought it up so far; it's further down the thread.

Turtwig

Retired retired Mod. Jovimohnaeliackvid.

Professorlight is right on that; remember that early-game Pokemon are usually simple in typing and stats. If we have a Steel/Dragon Pokemon on route 2, for example, then Grass- and Water- type starters have no chance. That offensive (and defensive) of a typing is also too...impressive...for such an early part of the game. That's like saying you want a mini Dialga before the second gym or something. That's just my opinon, but I agree with professorlight completely.

Also, guys, I think it's too early to think about tiers; we need to focus on finalizing concepts and sketches. I think it should be a rule to ignore whether a Pokemon is viable for competitive tiers because we barely even have concepts straight. It shouldn't take this long to come up with and put out ideas. Trying to make certain Pokemon suitable for tiers is also somewhat biased; plus, we're designing the 7th generation of Pokemon, not the 7th generation of OU Pokemon. We can discuss tiers after we have however many Pokemon we need.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

...What if it IS Rock/Dragon? In the present?
Steel/Dragon in the past and... Something/Dragon in the future?

So many options with Dinosaurs if we're traveling through time.

Buzzword

Convulsively Tripping the Light Fantastic

Gamefreak doesn't give two craps about Smogon and it's classifications. I mean MegaGengar makes that ABUNDANTLY clear.

We do not factor in Smogon Tiers, because it has nothing to do with the price of tea in China when elephants don't wear hats drawn on by crosseyed potato chips.

It wouldn't make sense, to design something based on some arbitrary list. (Like seriously... Carbink is listed in one of the highest tiers, and Blaziken is listed in the same tier and Deoxys...lolwut?)

Keeper of Night said:
...What if it IS Rock/Dragon? In the present?
Steel/Dragon in the past and... Something/Dragon in the future?

So many options with Dinosaurs if we're traveling through time.

The theme is time, not time travel. But maybe it COULD be a Rock/Dragon and have an ability that makes it change type if certain events/conditions occur.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Unless I missed something, I do believe we are having three different times in our region. Past, present, future.

Buzzword

Convulsively Tripping the Light Fantastic

Then I missed something?

One question does pop into my mind though. If the dinosaur changes type based on the time it is in, how would that reconcile in trades and battles if none of the participant players are in the same times in the game?

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Think of it like Wormadam.
It has a different type based on where when you caught it.

professorlight

Ice Queen

The theme is time, but it manifests itself in the game as a time travel gameplay mechanic.

I think what keeper is saying makes sense if you consider it two separate pokemon. One being the modern adaptation of the other, but shouldn't it be past>rock and future/present>steel?

Also, isn't it what we were planning to do with the legendaries? same pokemon but two different pokemon/species depending on the era?

I'd say not to abuse type changing abilities or gender variants / formes of pokemon. One every generation is enough, and I think we have those covered with moose's virus and goomy's peacocks .

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Steel makes sense in the past form as that would be it's original type. Rock in the present in because it came from a rock (fossil).

professorlight

Ice Queen

Keeper of Night said:
Steel makes sense in the past form as that would be it's original type. Rock in the present in because it came from a rock (fossil).

But reggie doesn't want it to be a fossil. He wants it to be an early game dragon.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

professorlight said:
Keeper of Night said:

But reggie doesn't want it to be a fossil. He wants it to be an early game dragon.

That's... Kind of the point.
You usually don't get fossils until later in the game, why would this be any different? Except, this time, you can catch the un-fossilized versions in the past. It's kind of hard to make an un-fossilize dinosaur for present day. :/

professorlight

Ice Queen

Keeper of Night said:
professorlight said:

You usually don't get fossils until later in the game, why would this be any different? Except, this time, you can catch the un-fossilized versions in the past. It's kind of hard to make an un-fossilize dinosaur for present day. :/

Not bad... get and revive the fossils early on the game. Well, it already happened in XY, but I don't see why not.

But still, reggie doesn't want it to be a fossil, because that would mean it must be rock type. nd I would be wary to make two common pokemon so related to each other... the idea was great for the legendaries.
We could do a bunch of prehistoric creatures-inspired pokemon to populate the past with, there is no need for a dinosaur to be only a fossil.

Turtwig

Retired retired Mod. Jovimohnaeliackvid.

Idea: early game Pokemon that evolves into a part-Dragon typing later on at, say, level 40 or something. Dragon so early in the game isn't fair; it's resistant to all three starter types and electric, a common early type as well. I think this solves the problem for the typing issue for an early-game Pokemon. Dragon-types should only be as early as starters are close to (or at) their final stage. Otherwise, it would be one-sided.

Reggie McGigas

-

Turtwig said:
Idea: early game Pokemon that evolves into a part-Dragon typing later on at, say, level 40 or something. Dragon so early in the game isn't fair; it's resistant to all three starter types and electric, a common early type as well. I think this solves the problem for the typing issue for an early-game Pokemon. Dragon-types should only be as early as starters are close to (or at) their final stage. Otherwise, it would be one-sided.

While I do agree with you, perhaps we can make an early gym fairy type? This could counter the dragon part a bit. A reminder that Shardagon is part steel too, and besides Magnemite in BW2 (And honedge technically, but XY had a very long early game) I can't recall an early game steel type.Almost forgot that Shardagon is pure dragon type.

Keeper of Night said:
professorlight said:

That is something that I would be willing to compromise with. If you could get the un fossilized version first, then a fossilized version in the future that would be pretty cool. It could be like 2 different forms, with slight moveset changes and appearances.

Ideas!

Shardagon (Sharp+Dragon)
Sharp Dragon Pokemon
[Dragon]
Ability: Tough Claws/Strong Jaw/Intimidate

Level Up Moveset-
1- Dragon Rage
1- Leer
4- Metal Claw
14- Imprison
24- Dragon Breath
34- Iron Head
44- Dragon Claw
54- Iron Tail
64- Giga Impact

Tutor Moveset
Iron Head
Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Draco Meteor

Egg Moves
Spikes
Rapid Spin

Pokedex: This Pokémon often is weak until trained by the leaders of its group. The spikes on its back grow bigger and sharper with each battle.

Drablade [Past Form] (Dragon+Blade)
[Evolves from Shardagon at level 34]
Blade Dragon Pokémon
[Dragon/Rock]
Ability: Tough Claws/Stong Jaw/Mold Breaker

Level Up moveset
1- Shadow Claw
1- Ice Fang
1- Thunder Fang
1- Fire Fang
1- Dragon Rage
1- Leer
1- Metal Claw
1- Crunch
14- Imprison
24- Dragon Breath
34- Ancient Power
47- Dragon Claw
57- Dragon Dance
67- Outrage
77- Rock Wrecker

Drablade [Future Form] (Dragon+Blade)
[Evolves from Shardagon at level 34]
Blade Dragon Pokémon
[Dragon/Steel]
Ability: Tough Claws/Stong Jaw/Iron Bards

Level Up moveset
1- Shadow Claw
1- Ice Fang
1- Thunder Fang
1- Fire Fang
1- Dragon Rage
1- Leer
1- Metal Claw
1- Crunch
14- Imprison
24- Dragon Breath
34- Iron Tail
47- Dragon Claw
57- Dragon Dance
67- Outrage
77- Iron Head (We need a stronger iron physical move)

Stats-
Shardagon
50/60/60/30/30/30
Drablade [Past]
80/100/110/40/50/60
Drablade [Future]
80/110/100/40/50/60

Depending when Shardagon evolves is what form he gets. Future for Future/present and Past for past.

Nod3

her majesty

Sorry to go on a tangent, but professorlight, it's Stegosauruses. Only words with latin roots have plurual form "i" from "us". Since Stegosaurus has a greek root, it's just stegosauruses. Also, even if it was latin, it should only end "i" not "ii". The "ii" in radii is because there is already an i in radius.

Now, that aside, is there a plan to have a back in time dimension (in the same way platinum had a distortion world dimension)? How far back will it go?

professorlight

Ice Queen

We won't do any dual past/present pokemon gimmicks besides the legendaries. Your concept and idea call for a steel/dragon, reggie, don't twist it to fit it into the rock/dragon mold (why would you ever choose a rock/dragon pokemon if you can get a steel/dragon with a rock type move?).

If you want to make a similar pokemon to be found in the present and say in the pokedex entries that they might be related (which might be actually interesting), go ahead, but no (bad) clones. And no duplicates by gender unless it fits the concept and has a very good explanation.

Turtwig, I wouldn't worry about an early dragon being OP (you can get tyrunt, gible and axew at 10ish levels in XY, and there will be fairies too, including a starter), I do worry about an early steel/dragon being OP, which is why I suggested making the prevo dragon only and have it evolve at a high level.

Nod3 said:
Sorry to go on a tangent, but professorlight, it's Stegosauruses. Only words with latin roots have plurual form "i" from "us". Since Stegosaurus has a greek root, it's just stegosauruses. Also, even if it was latin, it should only end "i" not "ii". The "ii" in radii is because there is already an i in radius.

Now, that aside, is there a plan to have a back in time dimension (in the same way platinum had a distortion world dimension)? How far back will it go?

Yes, there will be a past world, and it has the same extension as the present world. it does change a little, though.

professorlight

Ice Queen

Haunted Water said:
So, I have a go on the mantis shrimp, right?

Yes you do. It's an amazing creature, practically a pokemon already; contact me for that new move for my elf's and the shrimp's eyes.

Keeper of Night said:
Haunted Water said:
So, I have a go on the mantis shrimp, right?

I want to be a part of this.

I'll edit the OP, you're a team now (because I know haunted will be delighted). How are you doing with the elephant?

lovandra

not an ordinary cat
Re: RE: Let's Do the 7th Generation! - SIGN-UPS OPEN

professorlight said:
How are you doing with the elephant?

I'm answering this one. We just agree in one point of the design and I already have ideas in my mind how to developt it, but I get busy cause of chinese new year and stuff. So we
didn't progress much

I will do the designs and discuss it again with KoN in 2-3 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.