Let's Do the 7th Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

professorlight

Ice Queen
All the time we're saying what we want in Pokémon, or what could be good, or wondering why certain Pokémon are the way they are, but we rarely go beyond saying "oh, this would be nice!"

So let's do something about it, shall we?

The Idea:

The main idea is to collectively design a 7th generation of Pokémon the same way as Game Freak would do.

The Objectives:

- A general feel of the game, themes and all that. Preferably, no new mechanics, we'll work with what we have.
- No maps, region, lore or anything story related that isn't directly hinted by the pokemon we make.
- Between 70 and 150 well designed (and coherent with Game Freak's style) new Pokémon, including starters, legends and events.
- Realistic and unbroken move-sets and stats for each of them, and new moves too.
- FUN!

The Process:

- Research
We'll take cues, concepts and processes from the little information we have about how Game Freak do their stuff.

- Brainstorming
All ideas are permitted, as long as they are well thought and well expressed/justified.

- Peer review
All participants can (and should) criticize and offer alternatives for all ideas and concepts.
  • NOTE 1: Don't be overly polite. If you don't like something, say it, and support your opinion. You're being honest, and as long as you don't get nasty and start insulting people, it's fine. Now, if everybody else likes it, be cool.
  • NOTE 2: Leave your ego at the door. I realize that's crap advice, but when someone criticizes your work or your ideas, take it, learn from it and come back, even if you have to scrap your ideas.
- Representation
Past the initial stages of brainstorming, when concepts are more or less established, the designs will have to be shown in order to be criticized. Any formats like digital, by hand, a doodle, concept art, etc are permitted as long as they have something, anything to show, and consequently, correct. If you can't draw for your life, you can always work with someone who can.

Rules:

- If you are reading this and want to be in the project; you need to do this first:
- Read the thread. Whole.
- Make a post introducing yourself and explaining whatever ideas for pokemon you might have (not many, preferably), or asking someone to collaborate in an existing project..

- You can consult with other people for suggestions, critiques, etc. This is not a competition

- Everybody designs, and I mean everybody. You may not draw well, but you must give input and show your ideas. So please no "I only do movesets/ideas/drawings" business. Everybody who gives ideas draws them or asks someone else to do it. those who can, give stats. and those who can, make movepools.

- You will present the designs to the rest when you think they're ready (I'd suggest not letting much time pass between reviews. A week is good, a month, too much), and everyone else can give input.

- Each of us can work in one or several different pokemon and brings them here for advice and revision.

- If you bring ideas, you're expected to follow them through in every step, so don't dump everything on us and then get lost. If you want to see your genius idea done, defend it and do it.

Something to start:

Current events:
Refer to here to know where we are at and what we are doing right now:

The theme has been chosen: TIME, including a time travel gameplay/story mechanic.

Pokemon:

REVIEW TEMPLATE

Members

Turtwig
Keeper of Night
evilpacman
Wandering Wolf
Professorlight
His goominess
Blui
Scorched feathers
Haunted water
Professor palutena
Akwila
Lovandra
Muhfugginmoose
Reggie McGigas
Chocolate death
Mcfayden
King xerneas

With maps by Nod3

Quicktopics
Use only as a group for quick chat reunions

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Let's Do the 7th Generation Ourselves! SIGN-UPS OPEN

I'd dig this. I enjoy brainstorming for Ideas sometimes. I can't draw very well yet, but the concepts and stuff are fun. Mind if I link to a little guide for making Fake Pokémon?

http://www.dragonflycave.com/makefake.aspx

Oh, I should mention that I'm competitive (I think), being a Kalos League Gym Leader.

WanderingWolf

Only *insert number here* days to go!

I'd be willing to participate. I cannot for the life of me do anything competitive battling, so movepools/stats will be completely out of the question.

Most of the designs that I make (if not all) will be hand drawn, mainly due to the fact I have a very crappy mouse, which seems to freeze and jolt a lot.

I do have some ideas, and I hope I can participate to the best of my ability!

Shining Goodra

HeeHee - Michael Jackson

I'm down, I can do everything besides create Pokemon art I don't have the stuff for it on my computer or I would. I do have a lot of creative ideas for Pokémon, at least I think they are.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

This sounds really cool actually. I'd like to be involved, but, as I cant draw, it'd probably be more on the side of coming up with move sets, new moves, brainstorming, researching, ect. Being a competitive battler (somewhat) I think I could help work on that aspect of things.

- separate teams using the same guidelines (ex: a fire starter) and competing.
I like this idea best actually. Though it would take the longest amount of time (probably).
But I think the selection would definitely be better.

>Sees above posts.

Oi!
We need to find people who can draw then.

WanderingWolf

Keeper of Night said:
This sounds really cool actually. I'd like to be involved, but, as I cant draw, it'd probably be more on the side of coming up with move sets, new moves, brainstorming, researching, ect. Being a competitive battler (somewhat) I think I could help work on that aspect of things.

I like this idea best actually. Though it would take the longest amount of time (probably).

>Sees above posts.

Oi!

Quick, everyone spam Xous!

Eron

Is back as of March 24

I'd like to participate, but I draw horrible and I don't have something in my computer to draw.
And I'm not creative.

Making moves or abilities is easy for me.And creating objects.

Btw, let's make a Fire/Ice Pokémon.

professorlight

Ice Queen

Lovely to see you, guys! Don't worry about drawing, the only thing you need is to be able to transmit clearly your ideas, you could do that even with MS paint, if necessary.

Don't worry about not being able to design, or make movesets or stats, those will be decided as a team too, so you don't have to be proficient on everything.

Keeper of Night said:

>Sees above posts.

Oi!

The problem with competition is that it would have to be judged by someone, and if every participant were to judge, well, most of the time we'd end up with ties.

Eron said:
I'd like to participate, but I draw horrible and I don't have something in my computer to draw.
And I'm not creative.

Making moves or abilities is easy for me.And creating objects.

Keeper of Night said:
Eron said:

A melting ice cube pokémon.
YESSSS.

Now now, let's not get carried away, please. let's get everything in order before starting to make pokemon. I'll put those who are in in the OP.

Save your ideas and concepts, but not here. We already have entire threads of ideas, but let's try not to use them excessively.

For reference, we'll start with the games theme, so we can from there, move to starters and legends and the rodents and bugs and all that.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Eron said:
Keeper of Night said:
A melting ice cube pokémon.
YESSSS.
"Ibe" The Melting Ice Cube Pokémon

...Now that I think about it, that would just be water. :(
Probably something along the lines of a Dinosaur-thing (plesiosaur?), white in color with red accents, that lives in frigid waters and breathes fire.

I think it'd be cool to make the Water starter into a dolphin. I actually had a drawing of one I made when I was little. It ended up Water/Ice, able to blow icicles from its blowholes.

professorlight said:
The problem with competition is that there would have to be judged by someone, and if every participant were to judge, well, most of the time we'd end up with ties.

Probably.
Maybe working together would be best?

But then, depending on how many people want to participate, you could have a lot of un-working hands.

Eron

Is back as of March 24

Keeper of Night said:
Eron said:
"Ibe" The Melting Ice Cube Pokémon

...Now that I think about it, that would just be water. :(
Probably something along the lines of a Dinosaur-thing (plesiosaur?), white in color with red accents, that lives in frigid waters and breathes fire.

I think it'd be cool to make the Water starter into a dolphin. I actually had a drawing of one I made when I was little. It ended up Water/Ice, able to blow icicles from its blowholes.
Yeah, but its cry must be different to a dolphin's one.
If not I will *dolphin cry*
-He said the 13! LOL, Jk

What about a penguin that its arms are on fire?
(Going to eat)

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer

Keeper of Night said:

Oh, I would love this so much. Maybe it could live in the frigid waters but it's blood is at an exceptionally high temperature?

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Lord Fletchling said:
Keeper of Night said:

Oh, I would love this so much. Maybe it could live in the frigid waters but it's blood is at an exceptionally high temperature?

It could have an insane internal body temperature, and have to live in cold waters so as to not combust/overheat.
And then, as they are always surrounded by the cold elements, it gained the ability to manipulate ice.

WanderingWolf

I have about 30 something ideas for pokemon (not drawn, but basic descriptions of types, appearance, stats and stuff) made up from before Gen 6 was announced.

Although, I have an idea:

Peaceful and Chaotic. Basically, there are two islands in the shape of a Yin Yang. These island are completely separated by a river, with very few bridges that are rarely used to cross to the other island. The two dots are large lakes.

Taken from Wikipedia:
'Yin and yang can be thought of as complementary (instead of opposing) forces interacting to form a dynamic system in which the whole is greater than the parts. Everything has both yin and yang aspects, (for instance shadow cannot exist without light). Either of the two major aspects may manifest more strongly in a particular object, depending on the criterion of the observation.'

Chaotic and peaceful are two very wholistic adjectives to describe life at any moment. Chaos and peace are very dependant on each other to not stray to far to one side.

One island is the chaotic, technological, slightly war-ridden island, and the other island is more peaceful, still at its roots and one with nature.

Types of pokemon could be referred to as elements, and every single element is both chaotic and peaceful.

Its a very loose theme, but I hope its good.

----

If we were to use this theme, the plot could be trying to save the peaceful island from a possible collapse and war, and on the chaotic island, trying to end the war.

@Fire/water plesiosaur: PLESIOSTEAM!

Eron

Is back as of March 24

What if we make plesiosaur Legendary?

What if we make people to go into a whirlwind of water?

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer

I like that Idea, but you need an island devoid of both, the Wuji, right?
It's Fire/Ice, WW.

Status
Not open for further replies.