GDI Smeargle, Spit That Out! - "It's okay, I'm an artist" [Art trades! Collabs! Whatever! Alright!]

Should we have a monthly/weekly featured piece?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! Oh, and I took about fifteen minutes to do this sketch in pencil....but it took me AN HOUR to trace it digitally. Bleck. Now coloring, which I will time. What I got so far.

EDIT:
an hour of coloring

EDIT2:
I got distracted:
sp9dw2.gif

P0KEVORTEX said:
Wow, I love the Drifloon! Is that a Photoshop feat?

Thanks, and yah. I figured out how to animate on there. You can do the animation stuff like GIMP, but it works.

Oh, and I finally finished that god-darned peice. Here.

And now since I have been either drawing or using the computer in some other form for the past nine hours, I'm going to sleep. Sleep.

Because it's 3:30AM were I am.

Gr. This is my third time writing this post.
A criticism I've received in SB's Fakemon competition is that my entry shows a distinct lack of technical skill, as it has no shading and some very rough linework. It's definitely a fair criticism, and one I look forward to correcting in future rounds. As I've said, I still have trouble with isolating linework and coloring, so I've compiled a few tutorials to help me.
Nastyjungle
I'm sure either me or LORDY has mentioned Nastyjungle before, she's a Smogon artist and a favorite of ours. She has a few other tutorials on her DA (~Nastyjungle), but I think this is her most complete and useful tutorial, though it is aimed at people with higher end drawing products (Ps, nice Wacoms,etc.)
Namh
In all honesty, I don't always love Namh's work. But if there's one thing I can say, dude (dudette?) knows how to color. Again, aimed at people with tablets and Photoshop, but a very clear, helpful guide.
Mr. Tou
A nice tutorial for scanned lines, done in Pse 8. Just found it today and haven't finished it, but it looks good so far.

Good luck with that 6-D. Coloring is always fun for me.

Anyways, I made another animated avatar: here.

I really like making those. Imma make more.

EDIT: yup

Once upon a time, I promised corabed a banner request. It was at least a month ago. And so, in separate chunks, I worked my way through and came to make my best banner yet:
EmzoneBanner.png

Although you may have already noticed it in corabed's signature.

Alongside the new Magnezone comes an ambitious project of mine: I'm starting a Pokédex filled to the brim with every Pokémon I have the time and interest to draw. I may lose interest in Pokémon art halfway through, but hey - if I have a deviantART under this name it may as well get good use!

Love the font! It looks very good, but a smoother gradient transition might might make it a bit better. I am still working on those (17?) Pokemon I said I would draw, but I've only gotten afew done since I last posted, and my scanner's been broken down for awhile, so yeah.

Looking good, Vorty!

Anywho, schools been quite the b-word word so far, between marching practice and geometry I'm left exhausted and unmotivated to do art. However, I got a four day weekend this weekend--except for the football game I have to perform at--and maybe I'll do some art then.

I've recently been motivated to continue some old comic ideas of mine, so you may see that, and you also may see a new one. I'm not sure, I haven't got this plot really figured out.

Also, I just got a letter from Miss P, and literally screamed in excitement. Toley, I'm sending you a PM as a request from her.

So in my art class we are doing still lifes (hate still lifes) but this one has actually turned out pretty cool. I'm drawing a cattle skull with a crow on one of the horns, and then this wheat-like plant in a bottle. And I am cross hatching it for shading. Once I get it done I will try to get a good quality photo and upload it. The deadline is monday, so if all goes as planned, that is when you will see it.

Vorty, it took me a second to read your font, but when I did I thought it was mad creative.

Aggs, i like your Marceline avatar

Haha we are doing still-lifes too! And I don't like them. I dislike drawings with shading, and also realistic art, although I'm pretty good at it. I would much rather fling paint around abstractly or make pottery.

I'm not the biggest fan of realism? either. I'll be happy just with a pencil and some plain A4, then I can do my cartoon-like style. If only I could make my Pokemon look more traditional.
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I couldn't think of how to get a better gradient, but I will consider it more in the future.

I hate shading the traditional way (blending and what not) and that is one reason why I hate still lifes. Also, their subject matter is usually boring. But that is why I decided to cross hatch it, and I am not hating this one!

I think all art students hate still lifes, amirite?

Real artists very rarely blend to shade, cuz it looks like crap and is hard to pull off. Cross hatching can look both realistic and good at the same time, so yeah.

I actually love good still life, but I think it's much better in Painting form than drawing.

I like shading with the smudge tool nowadays, but beyond that, I don't really blend...

Expect some art on this four-day weekend....just not today. I have to perform at a football game..xP

So...yah.

Well, good luck with your performance!
Horizontal parallel shading looks neatest, so I usually use that.
What's the news with group reports? Did safariblade send one two days ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back