$4.17 Per Booster Pack at Wal-Mart/Target?! (UPDATE: $4.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xGallade

Galladite
That's ridiculous. What are your responses to this 'rip-off' price?

I think Wal-Mart/Target should lower the price because $4.17 is way too much for a pack of 10 cards.

UPDATE: I went to Walmart yesterday (2/22/2012) and the price went up by a penny. ($4.18)

RE: $4.17 Per Booster Pack at Wal-Mart?!

I do work at Walmart so I can tell you that we do price match. We don't price match online stores though.

xGallade said:
That's ridiculous. What are your responses to this 'rip-off' price?

I think Wal-Mart should lower the price because $4.17 is way too much for a pack of 10 cards.

Lol it's funny because Walgreens as always been at about that amount...looks like you better migrate to Target....

I thought that was basically the price all booster packs go for at retail these days? I mean a three-back blister costs like $13, and a tin with five packs costs $20...

This is why you don't buy single packs. If you want packs, buy booster boxes. You'll pay less per pack. (Although I've heard that even doing that is a waste of time from a competitive standpoint, but still.)

So happy I have a local card shop that sells packs for $3.49 each.

I've always had them priced at $5 in Canada, so be lucky!

Frost said:
I thought that was basically the price all booster packs go for at retail these days? I mean a three-back blister costs like $13, and a tin with five packs costs $20...
^

Why is $4.17 something to gawk at? Back when I bought singles at Target, they cost $4.20, and that was over 5 years ago.

Shops that specialize in cards will usually sell them cheaper, so if it's that much of an issue for you, go there.

Nengeni said:
I've always had them priced at $5 in Canada, so be lucky!
assumption that the US dollar is worth the same as the Canadian dollar

Well, I think you should get them online. Walmart is really over priced for certain things (Pokemon Cards). Online takes longer, but almost 1/2 price is really good. Is it worth the wait?

Lil Wayne said:
Well, I think you should get them online. Walmart is really over priced for certain things (Pokemon Cards). Online takes longer, but almost 1/2 price is really good. Is it worth the wait?
If that is a serious question, of course it is. If certain cards are needed, you better trade for them or buy them right away.

PMJ said:
This is why you don't buy single packs. If you want packs, buy booster boxes. You'll pay less per pack. (Although I've heard that even doing that is a waste of time from a competitive standpoint, but still.)
Waste of time? You mean waste of money?

Assuming that you want to play/collect the Pokémon-TCG the most cost-efficient way, i suggest buying from online stores. If you mainly collect the cards you might try japanese booster boxes - they have a way better foil card ratio. It is 1 R (Holofoil)-Card every 2 Packs, 1 SR (Full Art)-Card every two boxes, and an UR (Secret Rare)-Card every five boxes. One box usually contains 20 packs with 5 cards and costs about $35-40.

Remember, the concept of booster packs is designed to trigger an impulse purchase. If you want to save money for other things, just keep that in mind.

~Renoir

Yes, I meant waste of money, but I guess it'd be a waste of time too. :x

DNA said:
assumption that the US dollar is worth the same as the Canadian dollar

Currently $5 CAD is $5.01 USD, so it's pretty close (unless the site I used is wrong.)

But yeah, I wouldn't advise at buying single packs at all.
A) Because they cost more than buying a box,
B) Because people could have "weighed" the packs there already.

Yeah, when I used to play TCG, I bought cards for something like $5.50 CAD ($5.54 US), which was at Wal-Mart, so consider yourself lucky.

Buying single booster packs definitely inefficient. If you're looking for a particular set of cards, it is almost always easier to head over to a website like Troll n Toad and get the ones you need.

If a completely new set comes out and no website out there has all of the cards yet since they are also opening new packs (lol $70 Mewtwo EX pre-order), then you're better off grabbing a booster box. They're a lot cheaper, and not a terrible investment :).

However, single booster packs have that certain appeal. Not everybody can just go out and grab a booster box or order things online, it's a very nice option for the uber casual player / younger players. Sometimes I get one or two just for that addicting feeling of opening a new pack!

The only time I get packs at a store is when I need a certain card or two and nobody has any for trade, other than that I go to League and get packs for $3.00 each or PRs and get 8 packs for $25. I would order online, but it's very expensive, even with cheaper sites like T&T. ($70 for a Mewtwo EX? I need them, but not that bad! XD)

EDIT: Also at $3.00 each, your not losing much money when you pull something bad.

Yeah I buy mine from league because they are only $3.25 each.

You say it's ridiculous that they're $4.17, but the funny thing is that people will still buy them.

Supply and demand. That's all it is. As long as people buy them at $4.17, they'll stay at $4.17.

PMJ said:

I agree with buying Booster Boxes instead. Not only that you get Booster Packs at a lower price, but a fancy display box as well. -_-

DNA said:
Shops that specialize in cards will usually sell them cheaper, so if it's that much of an issue for you, go there.

Usually, but not always. Some shops mark up Pokémon cards because they know they're in high demand. The very first Pokémon cards I got, the Hitmonchan deck from the Base Set, cost $45 (plus tax). At that time, I didn't know they weren't supposed to cost that much. Even now, this particular shop overcharges for Pokémon cards.

It sucks buying cards in Canada. The tins are usually $30 before taxes, and we get over 13% in taxes, and stores mark up their prices alot too. Myself, I usually just buy boosters from my local store, as they have very good deals for Canadian prices (4 packs for $12, an EXTREMELY good deal here) and I buy the boxes from American sites. It's a cheaper way to do things when the prices are (for lack of a better word) stupidly jacked up despite the strentgh of our dollar right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back