Yveltal EX / Darkrai EX

RE: Darkrai EX / Sableye / Hypnotoxic Laser / Virbank City Gym

For this deck next format I have tested this without laser of course and it is broken. I have gotten 3 turn one night spears out of the 6 or 7 games I played.

...without energy switch? That means you have to hit 3 dark patch in one turn (or use some other inconsistent acceleration method like EtherDex). Statistically that won't happen very often. This deck also loses most of its power when you drop Lasers, as you turn Plasma and Blastoise almost unwinnable.

Blah said:
...without energy switch? That means you have to hit 3 dark patch in one turn (or use some other inconsistent acceleration method like EtherDex). Statistically that won't happen very often. This deck also loses most of its power when you drop Lasers, as you turn Plasma and Blastoise almost unwinnable.

Energy switch is getting reprinted iirc in the genesect vs mewtwo box thing

Didn't that come out with EX battle boost? That makes me doubtful that we'll be receiving it.

I suppose we'll know in a week when Plasma Blast PR's happen.

Blah said:
Didn't that come out with EX battle boost? That makes me doubtful that we'll be receiving it.

I suppose we'll know in a week when Plasma Blast PR's happen.

We'll hope

So, let's assume the Energy switch isn't being reprinted. What would you put in the empty spots? I understand supports and the such should be added there, but which ones?

Salamencetrainer34 said:
So, let's assume the Energy switch isn't being reprinted. What would you put in the empty spots? I understand supports and the such should be added there, but which ones?

I'd probably just fill those spots with more copies of other cards. Enhanced Hammer, Dark Claw, Ultra Ball Energies, maybe some Eviolites. If you have to take out cards that add consistency, use those spots to increase your consistency.

Machamp the Champion said:
Salamencetrainer34 said:

I'd probably just fill those spots with more copies of other cards. Enhanced Hammer, Dark Claw, Ultra Ball Energies, maybe some Eviolites. If you have to take out cards that add consistency, use those spots to increase your consistency.

I second this fully. maybe some exp shares as they are the closest way to mock what energy switch does. even though it sucks

For anyone having trouble against Goth with this deck, I would suggest something I saw on another forum: Sneasel NXD.

I don't like that. Too gimmicky. The main reason it might be decent is because you can give yourself time to get out the double Keldeo, but otherwise, it gives them way too much time (as in 13 turns kind of a lot of time) to set up everything they need to sweep through you. Even double Keldeo only goes so far when you give that deck 13 turns to set up (and that's assuming you can get the Sneasel out when you need it in the first place).

Blah said:
I don't like that. Too gimmicky. The main reason it might be decent is because you can give yourself time to get out the double Keldeo, but otherwise, it gives them way too much time (as in 13 turns kind of a lot of time) to set up everything they need to sweep through you. Even double Keldeo only goes so far when you give that deck 13 turns to set up (and that's assuming you can get the Sneasel out when you need it in the first place).
You wouldn't try to kill the Goth and give them 13 turns to set up, you'd drop it late game to deck them out or make them lose on time. The argument about getting it out goes for every tech against Goth, not just Sneasel.

What are people's opinions on the new Houndoom in Darkrai decks?
Feasable? Or Stage 1 being too slow?

Ryan Sinclair said:

I think it would be hard to squeeze in, but it would be awesome to have a little extra damage against plasma. I used to have zoroark in my darkrai deck in seemed to be alright, but the zorua i used let you search your deck and evolve it right away.

Ryan Sinclair said:

Houndoom seems like a decent idea. VirGen doesn't keep it's bench as high as Plasma, so it's attack is better than Absol's against it. But it needs more energy, and being a stage 1 is a real problem for it. It's worth testing, but just based on Theorymon, I'd say it's not worth it.

Salamencetrainer34 said:

More energy, without a doubt. Now that you can only get a turn 2 Darkrai by playing 2 Dark patch, you are going to have to discard 2 dark energy in 2 turns. You will also need to attach 2 energy. That means you will need a total of 4 energy by turn 2. The odds of hitting 4 energy are low, and you want to be able to maximize that. In addition, you don't have energy switch to conserve energy that is already on the board, so naturally, you will need more energy.

GHJamesGH said:
Salamencetrainer34 said:

More energy, without a doubt. Now that you can only get a turn 2 Darkrai by playing 2 Dark patch, you are going to have to discard 2 dark energy in 2 turns. You will also need to attach 2 energy. That means you will need a total of 4 energy by turn 2. The odds of hitting 4 energy are low, and you want to be able to maximize that. In addition, you don't have energy switch to conserve energy that is already on the board, so naturally, you will need more energy.
How about Cilan? He'd let you get 3 Dark Energies..

That doesn't do a thing for you. It uses up your supporter and its significantly harder to make use of extra energy in your hand without Energy Switch being in the deck.

Then I can't really think of anything aside from Hydreigon (Dark Trance), but that doesn't belong in this thread..

Maybe the days of Darkrai/LaserBank is over?

It is still good relying on just dark patch and it still destroys plasma; it is just a little less good against Blastoise because of the speed loss.

You guys may also want to test Switch. Being able to retreat without energy lets you get turn 2 dark spear easier.

Back