Yveltal EX / Darkrai EX

RE: Darkrai EX / Sableye / Hypnotoxic Laser / Virbank City Gym

I love Dowsing Machine in here. With all of the OHKOs in the format, Darkrai decks are fast enough, so, to keep up with decks like Blastoise, Plasma, or even a random Big Basics, Dowsing Machine is great to boost consistency. It also provides the option of "unlimited supporters" with junk hunt. The fifth catcher or 5th Dark Patch could really swing the game into your favor, which it has for me multiple times.

Blah said:
In the future, please make sure decklists contribute to the discussion in some way. It needs to at least have an explanation or bring up various points of discussion about the deck.
Ok I thanks for pointing that out wont happen again.

RogueChomp said:
I love Dowsing Machine in here. With all of the OHKOs in the format, Darkrai decks are fast enough, so, to keep up with decks like Blastoise, Plasma, or even a random Big Basics, Dowsing Machine is great to boost consistency. It also provides the option of "unlimited supporters" with junk hunt. The fifth catcher or 5th Dark Patch could really swing the game into your favor, which it has for me multiple times.
I will have to disagree with that in mine opinion Computer Search is by far superior it helps you setup so much faster. And consistency/speed is what Helps the deck so much especially against TDK (because they attack 1st turn)

In full honesty, all dowsing machine does is save you a turn for catcher. (Which can be useful at times) But Comp Search is kind of the glue that keeps this deck together and is much more consistent than dowsing machine. Although, if Comp Search didnt exist, then dowsing macine would be the play.

Dowsing Machine is actually really good. It gives the deck a lot more late-game stability. While Junk Hunting for Comp Search 2-3 times seems to be uncuttable, think about the power of the deck if you could do something similar - except not depleting your deck's resources in the process. It opens up a ton of more options late game and is overall just a very good card.

Both ACE SPECS work perfectly well, but Dowsing should most certainly be considered.

@Blah,
Well that's been different from what I've tested.

Depending on your matchup if you don't get setup fast enough you get pressured to death and lose, especially with blastoise. This being the case I prefer computer search as it it 10 to 1 better than dowsing machine early game and helps to get the t2 or even t1 nightspear that much more often. And like you said if you're interested in late game consistency Dowsing can be a valid option, but to get setup consistently computer search is the better option. Not to mention beginning game you'de have a sabelye out and junk hunting for comp once or twice can be game changing.

@Blueinvader,
I try to constrict my late game junk hunting, but it'll usually happen if I'm low on resources and ahead on prizes, or if whoever I'm playing has no way to attack his/her coming turn. It's usually a combination of both though.

Just starting to get into Pokemon TCG and this was my deck of choice!! (favorite deck of all pokemon tcg was Speedrill/Luxdrill but definitely not legal haha) This was the list I came up with after reading through the entire thread: (I have a few questions on the numbers)

Pokémon:(9)
3 Darkrai EX (some run 4(probably will if i decide against Absol but majority run 3 with one or two Absol)
3 Sableye ( would never want to run 4 I understand the utility but it is weak so possible risk and need the space)
2 (currently would make it 0 to make the deck 60) Absol (currently unsure of why?? would only play 1 or 2 once I know the reasoning)
1 Keldeo EX (slightly understand why: for rush in and then free retreat if I am not mistaken(with a dark energy))

Supporters:(14)
4 N (draw power and disrupts opponents hand late game if they have a stronger start)
4 Professor Juniper (draw power and set up for dark patch and junk hunt)
3 Bianca (extreme draw power to speed the deck up)
2 Skyla (searches for that last piece you need like a dark patch or HTL etc. Idk why ppl arent playing it and would like an explanation)
1 Colress (inconsistent draw power so I am unsure of if I like it or not I can see it only getting like 3)

Trainers:(25)
4 Pokemon Catcher (so good.... sniping stuff and disruption and so much more I love it)
4 Hypnotoxic Laser (pretty obvious that this is amazing and recycle-able and stuns the opponent and hits for more damage helping KO those big Pokémon with 110+ HP)
4 Dark Patch(speeds up the deck and makes T1/T2 Night Spear and makes discarding energy a good thing haha)
3 Energy Switch(I can see the use but also would like an explanation of the most typical play with it probably sableye junk hunt then switch and energy to darkrai)
3 Ultra Ball (ditch some energy grab Darkrai play him dark patch up to night spear then get the LaserBank + Night Spear combo quickly)
2 Bicycle (I personally think this card is amazing, the only down side is the 4, but if you play junk hunt for ultra ball and dark patch and some computer searches I can see this card being busted in the deck)
2 Dark Claw (pushes the amount of damage you can do up so you can hit harder against other EXs)
1 Max Potion (honestly just because dark patch is able to replenish a Darkrai's energy and helps keep your opponent from prizing Darkrai and lets you hit again)
1 Energy Search (This I'm guessing for slow hands with no energys or you need just one more)
1 Random Receiver(I run a lot of supporters so I am not sure if I need to run more than 1 or 2 I could be wrong I have been seeing an increase in RRs but with the limit of one supporter a turn I'm not sure why... maybe just to get the one you need at that time?)

Ace Spec:(1)
1 Computer Search (after reading both this and Dowsing machine I much prefer this I just prefer the early game utility over late game utility)

Stadiums:(2)
2 Virbank City Gym (make HTLs more powerful... pretty obvious)

Energy:(11)
11 Basic Darkness Energy(was between 10/11/12 so decided on the middle... testing will help choose the right amount)

I have not tested this build but was looking for advice on the build before I invest in it from players with more experience with the deck. However I want to know why people are cutting Skyla

Disclaimer: I am pretty new to the competitive scene and I am only making assumptions on the combos and strategies

You need another keldeo or else your gothgor match up will be horrendous. they catcher up a keldeo, you might as well scoop.

People are cutting skyla for the consistency and for more draw power. If you do not have a random receiver and you are looking for more than one card a skyla can be the worst to draw into. IMO

Probably the main reason I run Skyla is the early game Comp Search so I can junk hunt for it once more. Comp Search+Junk Hunt makes for the best set-ups.

littywitty said:
Probably the main reason I run Skyla is the early game Comp Search so I can junk hunt for it once more. Comp Search+Junk Hunt makes for the best set-ups.
I do not run skyla I feel like it clogs up the deck to much (especially with Random Receiver) (I also think Computer Search is much better)

Well of course Computer Search is much better, but you can only run 1 Computer Search while you can run up to 4 Skyla (although you shouldn't) in addition to it.

I would run 1-2 skyla, if you get it in you opening hand, you can get the comp search from it, increasing consistency in the match, the last thing you would expect from this card, consistency.

would you be better off with one of skyla 3x bianca, 4x N, 4x Juniper? I ask this because if you do not get T1 skyla you will most likely computer search later right?

I have play tested Skyla and I absolutely hate it your Random Receiving and you get a Skyla is so annoying

What about the First Turn Night Spear combo?

Pokedex > Ether ?

It seems like it could work well - Especially with the consistent amount of Draw Power that most Darkrai decks have at the minute.

EtherDex is inconsistent and takes up too much room to be of use. T1 Night Spears only go so far and the deck functions fine having an attack later (especially when 8 spots for EtherDex would make it really inconsistent).

I can see where you're coming from. What would you use to replace these empty spaces though?

Well, it depends on what you're missing. With 8 open spots, you're probably missing a few crucial cards that you need to add in (more supporters, more catchers, etc.)

Back