Yveltal EX / Darkrai EX

RE: Darkrai EX / Sableye / Hypnotoxic Laser / Virbank City Gym

Four Arms said:
Lil Wayne said:
Do you still play Virbank City Gym if you Play Frozen City?

Yeah. Darkrai is nothing without Laser/Bank.

Pretty much and since EitherDex is no longer in, laserbank will be staple. Most decks run 2 virbank + 1 Frozen city. Although if no one plays blastoise in your area (doubtful) dont run it.

Another thing to consider now is to run Darkrai / Sableye / Victini EX. With the rise of grass deck (Virgen, Virizion / Mewtwo) victini is amazing. You can play victory piece and if they just scrapper it away, sableye can get it back which is nice. But also I know people running lists of 10 dark energy and 4 fire energy just in case is prized.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Victini EX is not even close to viable anymore. The first turn rule nerfs it, and makes it so your main goal should be a T2 Night Spear.

Puff-Sun said:
Victini EX is not even close to viable anymore. The first turn rule nerfs it, and makes it so your main goal should be a T2 Night Spear

Results say otherwise, you need to realize you can still go second and attack in which I would opt to do so in most cases. Victini 1 hits any grass EX so its still quite good as a tech, as it was to Cobalion / klingklang in the day.

Victini was an awful tech to deal with Cobalion / Klinklang because it was useless after T2. If you choose to go second, they have a turn in which to set up, which means that they will probably be able to kill your Victini on their T2.If you use your turn to Turbo Energize, then you basically just wasted your ACE SPEC and 2 prizes for 2 Dark Patches, or if you don't use Victory Piece T1, then you wasted an energy attachment as well. If you Intensifying Burn, it's slightly more useful, but once it dies you've still wasted you ACE SPEC and early Junk Hunts without gaining a prize lead.

The thing about Darkrai is that you dont need to run comp search, you can run through your deck fast enough. As for an awful tech, it really wasn't, it could 1 hit anything in that deck with Intensifying burn, for 0 energy. Thats what makes it viable is the fact you dont need to dedicate resources to your mon for the attack. Going 2nd is still in my opinion more viable if your not playing a stage-2 deck, you want to attack first.

Are we still playing this deck with Scramble Switch Post-Rule Change...or are we changing it to Dowsing Machine?

Elbow said:
Are we still playing this deck with Scramble Switch Post-Rule Change...or are we changing it to Dowsing Machine?

Since when have people played scramble switch in Darkrai? Dowsing Machine and Computer search are and have always been better options, most people are playing Dowsing, from what I've seen, so they can recycle Ghetsis and Frozen City in the Blastoise match-up.

miniman said:
Elbow said:

Since when have people played scramble switch in Darkrai? Dowsing Machine and Computer search are and have always been better options, most people are playing Dowsing, from what I've seen, so they can recycle Ghetsis and Frozen City in the Blastoise match-up.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure no darkrai deck ever played SS, although my Darkgarb does but its a different deck entirely. Dowsing machine is the way to go if you expect long matchups, comp search is what you want if you wanna play t2 nighspear still.

Along with t2 night spear, its not a good idea as all darkrai decks are slow, and in the long run dowsing helps more.

RE: Darkrai EX / Yveltal EX / Sableye / Hypnotoxic Laser / Virbank City Gym

I'm actually running a variation of Darkrai/Yveltal w/o Laser/Bank and I've been doing fine with it on PTCGO Testing (5-1 so far).

Regarding Plasma vs. Yveltal EX and Darkrai EX:

I just found that Drifblim(PLB) could work as an alternative to Enhanced Hammer (only that, unlike the Enhanced Hammer Trainer card, Drifblim deals base 70 damage on top of the special energy discard effect) in the deck mentioned on topic when coupled w/ Lysandre to draw the foe you want the energy off of out if it is on bench, as it can throw away opponent's Plasma, Rainbow/Prism, and double-colorless energies. Since you can only have 4 Plasma Energies in a deck, if Drifblim is still active upon the expiration of the max amount of all 4 Plasma Energies, Lugia could be rendered useless and forced to switch and/or Cassius out of play, as it requires a certain type of special energy in order to be able to do damage on its own, while pokemon that need plasma energy/rainbow energy to do greater damage and other effects than they would have done without it, but are not required to have a certain type of special energy attached to it in order to even attack(such as Deoxys, Thundurus, Articuno, among others) would be crippled, but unless the deck has no energy left in it other than that in the discard pile while unable to be retrieved in any possible way, as long as the pokemon has the appropriate energy, they can still do damage even w/o any special energy, but if, under any circumstances, the player finds him/her self unable to attach any of the special energy type the attachee pokemon needs to carry out said bonus effects, the damage they deal would be impacted(but the amount of impact varies by card), despite the fact that you need drifloon as well in order to use Drifblim (since Drifblim is a Stage 1, while Drifloon is a basic that evolves into Drifblim), meaning Drifblim takes up 2 slots out of the needed 60. Look at the reason why Drifblim is a good addition to a Yveltal EX plus Darkrai EX deck:

1. You don't need to worry about energy type with drifblim because it requires 3 colorlesses, but, if 3+ plasma pokemon are out on opposing side, then due to Drifblim's ability, it can use its special-energy-stripping move called derail for free.

Now, here is a con for using Drifblim (PLB):

2. Drifblim(PLB) has 100 HP, so don't send it out against Mega Kanga unless you know that one Derail would mean the opponent will have no fairy/dark/rainbow energy left to transfer from Aromatisse or Hydreigon (Fairy Transfer or Dark Trance, respectively) and/or no way to get the necessary energies out of the discard pile to correct a Double Colorless loss from PLB Drifblim's Derail. It only takes one Wham Bam Punch to KO it. Other than that, in terms of Yveltal / Mewtwo and Darkrai decks, since judging from the skeleton list, I assume that the deck cannot 1HKO Mega evolutions unless you attach a lot of energy on Mewtwo/Yveltal (which could derail your victory chances if the pokemon is ko'd, because in the TCG game, all energy cards discarded w/ no way to get them out of discard=guaranteed defeat).

I think Drifblim's a good addition, do you?

I know that Raichu is very hyped for this as a tech attacker, but has anyone even tried to consider Lanturn PLF as a possibility here? Slap a bangle and 1 rainbow energy and you can OHKO an Yveltal EX? What does everyone think of this one?

skyla27 said:
I know that Raichu is very hyped for this as a tech attacker, but has anyone even tried to consider Lanturn PLF as a possibility here? Slap a bangle and 1 rainbow energy and you can OHKO an Yveltal EX? What does everyone think of this one?

Lanturn is simply not an improvement over Raichu XY. In order to use Lanturn, you would need to run rainbow energies, whereas Raichu can use Double Colorless, which the deck already runs. Less cards to tech in means more space for consistency cards.

Back