YouTube forces all channels to use the new layout in a few days

Polaris

The new channel format is kind of ugly, in my opinion. Thoughts?

(a day ago)
970511_658468114169401_1765994805_n.png

If you don't like it and want to do something about it:
http://www.change.org/petitions/youtube-please-stop-the-new-2013-channel-designs-youtube-ytcreators?utm_campaign=new_signature&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt#share

RE: Youtube forces all channels to use the new layout in 13 days

I don't like how it makes every channel look exactly the same, and part of the homepage. I like having my own unique space :<

Eh, doesn't really seem so bad to be. Although I like customization, all I really care about is the ability to upload and watch videos quickly and efficiently.

The thing I don't get is why are they giving you the option to upgrade if they're just going to force everyone to do it anyway? Lol.

C'mon YouTube...have some class and let people pick which one to stick with. This isn't even a half-rate site so I don't get it.

Reminds me of Facebook. Everyone freaks out when it actually happens, but the issue is forgotten by the end of the week.

No big deal, they can't keep it looking the same forever.

I use the app sOooooo......i'm good

It's meh. As I have an account which I like to have said channel look the way it is (I was even preparing to make a custom background for it). The new layout is... Just not as easy on the eyes as the other designs. I don't like it.

Yeah I received the notification last night and wasn't impressed. I am not a fan of the new style at all. In fact, it isn't even a style. It's just a plain old white background with videos or whatever everywhere. Soon we won't be able to see what country an uploader is from.The "featured channels" section is way to small and easy to miss. Not only that but they felt the need to add a "popular channels" section right under. Great, now people will definitely check out the lesser known channels you're attempting to feature...

Not looking forward to the change at all. I still dislike the new Youtube layout for the main website. Reading/getting comment notifications is an absolute mess. I can go on and on. But in the end, it's Youtube and I'll end up using the site anyways no matter how user unfriendly it becomes. :(

They aren't there yet, but the new format looks very... Ad-friendly. I guarentee you after they force everybody to switch ads will begin to pop up.

I already have been bombed with those annoying-a ads. I hate it when they have noise and start talking in the middle of a vid :(

Rusty Sticks said:
Reminds me of Facebook. Everyone freaks out when it actually happens, but the issue is forgotten by the end of the week.

This. Everyone flips their tables over a silly design change.
People, pull up your big boy pants and accept it. It's not your website and you don't get to dictate what it looks like.

Tsoliades said:
Rusty Sticks said:

This. Everyone flips their tables over a silly design change.
People, pull up your big boy pants and accept it. It's not your website and you don't get to dictate what it looks like.

And the exact same thing happened when Pokebeach changed skins. Why must humanity obsess over such a simple thing?

They don't make these design changes for themselves. They make these changes in the hope that people will find it more appealing or more convenient in some way. The argument is hardly that they're doing whatever they want just because it's their site. I think YouTube has a substantial interest in the opinions/desires of their users.

That being said, it is just a design change. Personally, I wouldn't say it's that big of a deal, but that doesn't mean it's still not kinda ridiculous to force people to use a style they don't want to look at everyday.

Rusty Sticks said:

No big deal, they can't keep it looking the same forever.
It's not like I actively used FB before it but the ugly timelines made me quit it for good.

Xeryd said:
Upgrade? What upgrade?

Example of before

Example of after

As a semi-large consumer of YouTube, this is only good news for me. See, with one of the recent layout changes (I don't know, the last one. The one that made everything look more white but at the same time colorful...), YouTube changed the subscribe button to something that looked nicer, but at the same time, something that totally hid the function that lets users get emails whenever a certain channel uploads a video. It was still there, as I was getting emails from channels I'd already had this set on, but if I wanted to subscribe to someone else or accidentally unsubscribed to something existing, I was out of luck. I mean, it's pretty easy to hobble together something that still sends emails, but it's not the nice, pretty ones direct from YouTube that come moments after a video is uploaded. :p So yeah, I noticed with this new layout that they figured out where to put that function: There is now a gear beside the "Subscribed!" button on the channel page that, when clicked, gives you access to the same old settings as before. :D But alas, this unhidden feature does not appear on channels using the old layout, so, yeah. :(

But hey, I like how this new channel layout goes well with the recently updated YouTube layout. I'm good.

I decided to upgrade it a week ago, and my channel, I agree, is not as eye-friendly anymore. Not even able to be customized. I wish we had a background, or at least the option to decide which we prefer to use. I'm not going to drop any rage bombs about it, but - just saying - I don't like it.

Same thing with Facebook, I hear you, Teal. It will blow over for most people eventually; there's no reason to get all hyper over the change. Sure, we'll have inner resentment, but YouTube is one of the big sites that will force a change we just have to get used to. "Whatever" is the keyword.

~AoH

Back