Pokemon Your thoughts on non-evolving Pokémon

Ice Jackal said:
I'm not quite sure why you have Spinda among the gimmicks... Would you mind explaining that?

It doesn't get much more gimmicky than 'made for the sake of showing off how much variation is possible'

Ice Jackal said:
Also, among those you mentioned as weak, there are three who are actually gimmicks. Pachirisu (along with Plusle/Minun, Emolga and Dedenne) is the traditional Pikachu clone that appears in every Gen since the 3rd.

Our definition of "gimmick Pokemon" is completely different then.

Plusle/Minun I consider gimmicks, because their purpose was to show off the new double battle mechanic.

The fact that all of these (Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne) are a reused Pikachu-concept (cute electric-rodent), makes them just that. I don't see why "reused concept" would count by any definition of gimmick. Wouldn't that make all the hundreds of other pokemon based on already used concepts gimmicks?
(I didn't use the word clone, because that makes much more sense for stuff like Geodude->Roggenrola, Machop->Timburr etc.. whereas Pachirisu/Emolga don't share number of stages or coolor scheme or anything much besides the simplified concept. heck emolga and pachirisu are more alike between themselves than they are with Pikachu)

Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne and Plusle/Minun are Pikachu clones. Their sole intention is to give a reminder of Pikachu's existence in every game (even if Pikachu is available). Therefore, evolving them would ruin their purpose. Same goes for e.g. Luvdisc, and of course Farfetch'D, whose idea of being a loser would be meaningless if it evolved.
Gimmicks aren't Pokemon that show off a game mechanic, but rather Pokemon unique in their idea (Ditto, Smeargle, Unown) or Pokemon with a very specific purpose (like the Pikachu clones). As such, expecting these kinds of Pokemon to evolve is pointless, since an evolution would mean they'd stop following their concept.

Although i prefer the idea of "growing" a pokemon, and that is why i like evolved pokemon the most, i'm totally fine with non evolving ones. I like some and some others i dislike. But is ok. Hawlucha is one of my favourites since it was introduced, and it is a pretty good pokemon despite the fact it doesn't evolve (and i don't think it will in future gens other than MAYBE a mega evo) Heracross is a huge favorite around there since the beginning, it does not "evolve". But well, is not so weird to think that there always be non evolving pokemon. As far as i know, in the animal kingdom, not all the animals change so much when they grow. I mean yeah, you can tell the difference between a baby and a human, or a larva and a moth....But generally speaking animals look the same when they are kids and adults, only that most of them get bigger. Is not like a cub when grows up into an adult bear grows a horn or wings, or things like that (things that in pokemon may happen) So yeah, totally fine with non evolving ones. I would like some evos here and there (for example i would prefer a pinsir and heracross evo instead a mega because i like both) but i'm totally fine with them.

Scyther is an interesting case in this subject.

Both it and its evolution, Scizor, are technically equivalent in terms of stats. (with Pinsir and Heracross too).

It's the only evolution in the games where the stats are merely rearranged a bit along with its look and type changed.

So both stages have that non-evolving-but-strong-pokemon feel to them.

....well if we forget the fact that Scizor just got a Mega evo recently along with its bros Pinsir/Heracross of course
I feel like this is the only case where a Mega-evo for a NFE-pokemon would be completely valid. Mega Scyther vs Mega Pinsir O:

I'm not a big fan of non-evolving pokemon. Seeing pokemon evolve was always one of my biggest reasons as to why I loved them so much. It's just a very satisfying feeling after battle and battle. Having said that, I don't hate them all; but I do tend to prefer evolving pokemon over non-evolving!

Back