Pokemon Your thoughts on non-evolving Pokémon

AdamLambert

Aspiring Potato
I know that most of the time, I don't use non-evolving Pokémon. I'm not really sure why. I mean, I like a lot of their designs, but I don't use them in my party in the games. What are your thoughts on Pokémon that don't evolve?

Many single-stage pokemon are gimmick pokemon (Plusle/Minun, Chatot, Spinda, Delibird) so they aren't particularly useful. Also, evolution is fun and people catch the pokemon they know will change as you train them.

However, I have used pokemon like Pinsir, Stantler and Heracross before. I think the pokemon's stats need to be good, and they must be usable.

The problem with many is that they have the mediocre stats, similar to middle-stage Pokémon like, say Lombre or Whirlipede. They aren't awful, but not great. They're usable i suppose, but..

I always liked Heatmor and Maractus. They're probably two of my favorite non-evolvers. I mean, their stars aren't great, but I love the designs and are usable in many situations.

I have to say, I do always (try) to catch every single Pokémon that is out there.
But on the other hand I mostly only use the Pokémon that CAN evolve in my Party.
The evolving part is just half of the fun ! Something I look forward to, is that silly ? xD

Though, there are exceptions.. I have some favorites that are not able to evolve but I still deffinitely want in my Party.
Like Audino ! <3

Yeah, I think evolution is an attractive feature on a pokémon probably because as you proceed through the game, the evolution kind of symbolizes how you grow with the pokémon and you're not stuck with the same pokémon design for the whole game... You sort of feel proud that after training that little pokémon so much, it finally reached its adult final form, I guess... That how I feel at least...
Why do you think the starters are always 3 stage families?
In fact, now that I think about it, most of the pokémon I've used in my in-game teams are pokémon with 3 stage families (yes, I even prefer 3 stage families over 2 stage families when I choose my team) and I've also never used a non-evolving pokémon (other than the mascot legendaries of course)...

Metalizard said:
Yeah, I think evolution is an attractive feature on a pokémon probably because as you proceed through the game, the evolution kind of symbolizes how you grow with the pokémon and you're not stuck with the same pokémon design for the whole game... You sort of feel proud that after training that little pokémon so much, it finally reached its adult final form, I guess... That how I feel at least...
Why do you think the starters are always 3 stage families?
In fact, now that I think about it, most of the pokémon I've used in my in-game teams are pokémon with 3 stage families (yes, I even prefer 3 stage families over 2 stage families when I choose my team) and I've also never used a non-evolving pokémon (other than the mascot legendaries of course)...

That's exactly how I feel. I like to have something to look forward to. I usually have only 3 stage Pokémon in my party as well, during the main story. I did, however, use Scrafty and Crustle in BW/BW2.

Well... Most of my favorite Pokemon are non-evolving, or were so at one point (Dunsparce, Druddigon, Smeargle, Tauros, Mawile, etc...). I like them a lot for some reason. It's like, yeah, they aren't going to evolve into some powerhouse, but they fill the necessary role of just... average. :u I actually like using them in-game because it makes things a bit more challenging.

My personal hope is that by the end of the franchise, all non-legendary, non-evolving Pokémon will get a family member.

I think that I enjoy for some Pokémon to stay non-evolving. It makes them more special somehow. Does anyone else agree? However, I there are a lot of them that I like and I find it hard to use them later on in the game because their stats start to heavily fall behind every other Pokémon.

In Gen. 4 I actually liked getting evolutions for Gen 1 Pokémon and I'm hoping for just as many in Gen. 6.

I always liked Plusle and Minum, but I do find them useless in difficult battles and you only get to use them to their full extent in a double battle. I think they could make an evolution for both of them. Like if you had them both on your team they could do a fuse evolution and become something combined. It works with the gimmick and takes the idea further.

I have mixed feelings about non-evolving Pokémon. I'll use them in my party if I like their design (like Audino), but overall most non-evolving Pokémon just feel incomplete (like Pachirisu). I feel like it gets boring to have a non-evolving member on my team. It is exciting to see my Pokémon evolve, so to miss out on that experience is disheartening.

AdamLambert said:
My personal hope is that by the end of the franchise, all non-legendary, non-evolving Pokémon will get a family member.

Yeah, and every line should be 3-staged... >_> Wouldn't that be boring? My personal hope is that there always will be single, two-stage and three-stage Pokémon ^^

shitzon said:
AdamLambert said:

Yeah, and every line should be 3-staged... >_> Wouldn't that be boring? My personal hope is that there always will be single, two-stage and three-stage Pokémon ^^

I don't think they should all be three-staged. I just think that it'd be more exciting if all Pokémon had an evolutionary family, or at least an alternate form, like Rotom or Castform. But don't fret. That will likely never happen anyway :p

For my third play through of Black I used only non evolutionary Pokemon. Alomomola, Stunfisk, Druddigon, Sigilyph, Heatmor, and Sawk all of which I obtained from the Dream World from Black 2 and transferred over. I really loved all of the single stage evolutionary Pokemon of this generation. It was a bit challenging at times, especially during the Elite 4 and the battle with N and Ghetsis (I of course captured the Reshiram but did not add it to my team when it asked if you wanted to after capture) but I enjoyed my that play through the most.

I have mixed feelings about standalone Pokémon. Actually, I either completely love or utterly despise them. While some could get evolutions (like Plusle and Minun getting awesome evolutions that have some kind of synergy in single battles, idk; Castform, which should get a Sandstorm form and 4 evolutions, one for each wheather), I feel that other ones are just too precious for that, altough being underwhelming competitively (like Dunsparce, Farfetch'd, Mawile...).

I often find that I don't use non-evolving Pokémon much, but not necessarily because they're non-evolving, but because they aren't found in the beginning of the game. I like to start using my Pokémon at low levels and train them myself, so I'd rather not catch and use a Pokémon that I find at like level 30 or whatever. The few exceptions: Tropius, Absol, Skarmory.

Well i dont mind the non-evolving pokemon, i like some by how they look, but you gotta admit, most of em are pretty damn weak. And i mostly enjoy evolution, when i was little i leveled up pokemon just to see their evolutions. Anyway, yeah dont mind them, and their are weak, the only pokemon that does not evolve i have used is Heracross when i was playing Heart Gold. (And i like Heracross)

Most of them I enjoy design wise such as Heracross, Lapras, Aerodactyl, Dunsparce, Seviper, etc. I typically prefer evolving pokemon for that joy of seeing them evolve.

I personally have nothing against non-evolutionary pokemons, it doesn't necesarily affect wheter I'll use them or not. I just find the best fitting pokemon to my party, disregard of evolutions.

But then again, there are some non-evolution pokemons I have never played with or have barely used, mostly because they are weak...

I know this is not a common opinion, but I think evolutions should be distributed more evenly, there are pokemons that reach their last evolution way too early in game. Makes me kind of sad to see that for the next ~60 levels my pokemon will not evolve anymore u_u

danks_ said:
I personally have nothing against non-evolutionary pokemons, it doesn't necesarily affect wheter I'll use them or not. I just find the best fitting pokemon to my party, disregard of evolutions.

But then again, there are some non-evolution pokemons I have never played with or have barely used, mostly because they are weak...

I know this is not a common opinion, but I think evolutions should be distributed more evenly, there are pokemons that reach their last evolution way too early in game. Makes me kind of sad to see that for the next ~60 levels my pokemon will not evolve anymore u_u

I agree on the early evolution thing. That's why I liked Gen V because a good number of the Pokemon evolved at higher levels.

Back