Pokemon Your thoughts on non-evolving Pokémon

Still, if you play competitive or you are looking forward to play until lvl 100, it's kind of boring... It's specially boring if your pokemon doesn't evolve at all. See for example Electrabuzz and Magmar on the first gen, I totally hated those 2 because it was boring to use them... Now that they have 3 evolutions, I like them a little more :)

I do prefer 3 stage evolution Pokémon because they're stronger but I also use non-evolving and two stage ones. Skarmory is on my HG team, just like Drapion, Arbok, Weezing and many others that I like. I don't evolve Cacnea because I like it more than Cacturne's. Back in LG I trained a Tangela to lv. 70 and had much fun doing it.

Tropius and Lapras are the king and queen of the nonevolving pokemon. To me, they're the best designs and have ok stats and moves.

Pokemon that don't evolve [that aren't legendaries]:
- Farfetch'd
- Kangaskhan
- Pinsir
- Tauros
- Lapras
- Ditto
- Aerodactyl
- Unown
- Girafarig
- Dunsparce
- Qwilfish
- Shuckle
- Heracross
- Corsola
- Delibird
- Skarmory
- Stantler
- Smeargle
- Miltank
- Sableye
- Mawile
- Plusle
- Minun
- Volbeat
- Illumise
- Torkoal
- Spinda
- Zangoose
- Seviper
- Lunatone
- Solrock
- Castform
- Relicanth
- Luvdisc
- Absol
- Tropius
- Kecleon
- Pachirisu
- Chatot
- Spiritomb
- Carnivine
- Sawk
- Throh
- Audino
- Maractus
- Basculin
- Sigilyph
- Emolga
- Alomomola
- Cryogonal
- Stunfisk
- Druddigon
- Bouffalant
- Heatmor
- Durant

Over 80% of these are either skipped over or UU. The others are things that are really good such as Lapras, Cryogonal, Castform. etc. But I love all Pokemon, so these guys are some of my absolute favorites. I even have a LV100 Spinda in my White2 game that I'm planning on using soon.

I like a lot of those pokemon and really don't care if they evolve or not. I've used some of them before, just not the ones that completely suck in battle.

I like that some pokemon don't evolve. I think it makes them more "realistic". Why should everything evolve? And I like Tauros, Lapras, Cryogonal, and others just as they are. Some are just strong enough that they don't need an evolution.

And I am pretty sure they are done giving Gen I pokemon evolutions (excluding Eevee) and maybe Farfetch'd. Other than that, I could only see them adding pre-evolutions to Gen I pokemon.

SuperDuper said:
I could only see them adding pre-evolutions to Gen I pokemon.

You mean like Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Happiny, Mime Jr., Smoochum, Elekid, and Magby?

Plus the supposed Drowzee Prevo and my fakmon Sheliir, Shellder Prevo.

Non-Evolving pokemon, I think are sort of useless. Well, the baby ones anyways. The ones that are literally too small for battle are just 'pets' to me. Pachirisu is a great example. Pointless, small, its literally used for its cute factor. *shrug* The bigger ones I can understand, Giratina, Seviper; they are very strong and can learn new moves and verse other pokemon. the tiny ones... not so much. lol.

When going through the game for the first time in a new region, I don't typically use non-evolving pokemon. Although evolution isn't super important to have a strong pokemon. It's more of a "I want to see this pokemon grow by my side" kinda-thing which is why I usually use pokemon that evolve.

To me, non evolving Pokemon lack a certain sort of accomplishment than those that are able to evolve. I don't know why, but I prefer having a Pokemon to "age" as my journey progresses.

I really am on the edge on non-evolving pokémon.
For run-throughs, I just pick a team based on types and what looks cool. :p
I used Sableye, Skarmory, and Spinda on separate runs in the Hoenn games. Sableye I found on my first run-through of Emerald and was used the rest of the game.

Of course, I never use things like Farfetch'd or Dunsparce, but I occasionally find myself using single-stage 'mons if they fill that spot well on my team.
Snorlax was a big one for me on my first run-through of FireRed.

I love non-evolving Pokemon. They were some of the coolest ones in the older games, specifically some of the safari Pokemon in the originals, like Scyther, and Tauros. Snorlax was also one of my favorites back then. Other than that, I do hate Jynx, so I don't like all of them.

Also I didn't state this in my last post, but my all time favorite Pokémon is a non-evolved Pokémon.
Totodile!

Athena said:
I often find that I don't use non-evolving Pokémon much, but not necessarily because they're non-evolving, but because they aren't found in the beginning of the game. I like to start using my Pokémon at low levels and train them myself, so I'd rather not catch and use a Pokémon that I find at like level 30 or whatever. The few exceptions: Tropius, Absol, Skarmory.

THIS! This! Oh, how I love Absol so. As well as Skarmory, but Absol will always have that one little spot in my heart for it. =3 It's been one of my favorites (and possibly my favorite non-evolving pokemon) since I first saw it in my saphire version shortly before emerald came out. (Sadly, my saphire version got stolen. I have ruby now.) Also was the only pokemon that was not a G6 pokemon used on my main team for my playthrough of X.

Well, just as there is big diversity in pokémon that do evolve (from some generic Watchog with 2 stages, to pseudo-legendaries like Salamence), there is quite different non-evolving pokémon.

-gimmicks
There is plenty of those that are mostly in existence to show off some game mechanic, regardless of how useful it is in the competitive sense
This includes Ditto, Unown, Smeargle, Spinda, Castform, Kecleon, Chatot
-weak
Then there is those that are as weak as any regular pokémon that is yet to evolve...they just never do. Those are the ones most people put in the same category of "waste" as baby pokemon. But we know from examples like Aipom, Murkrow, Nosepass (and lets not forget Mega Mawile!) that not all hope is lost.
Including Corsola, Qwilfish, Pachirisu, Farfetch'd....and the winner is: Luvdisc
-strong
Ranging from 2nd-stage-ish to 3rd-stage-ish power, these seem like the opposite. Pokémon that are encountered like they skipped the weaker stages and start off "already fully evolved" (and mostly later in the game obviously).
But as any other, these can also gain any number of stages later, as the prime examples I would give for this category would be the classic dozen fellas coming before Magikarp, like Magmar, Scyther, Mr.Mime..
Still valid inclusions are Tauros, Skarmory, Shuckle, Tropius, Druddigon, Cryogonal, Hawlucha, Lapras etc.

Anyhow, for the weak ones I always hope for new evolutions, because I'd love to use some competitively, which just doesn't work when they're as weak as that. As for the strong ones, although I do favor ones that evolve for some reason, but I try to use these every now and then at least for the heck of going against my bias towards evolving ones.
Unlike many people, I'd love to see baby stages added to any number of these, like Tropius, Lapras and Skarmory (rather than already weak ones with evolutions, like Pikachu and Clefairy, getting them), because just like Elekid, Tyrogue and co., they would add some spice to them and probably make them encounterable more early in some region etc.

And for the gimmicks, I don't think they should be left untouched simply because they are gimmicks.. in most cases, their gimmick could be exploited and used to make them the best in whatever they do. For example, I would make Castform evolve, but differ depending on what weather it evolves in, losing its Forecast ability for the fitting weather ability (Drought, Drizzle, Snow Warning, Sand Stream), making it THE prime weather-inducer, with all the others (Politoed, Ninetales) being alternatives rather than the rule.

I'm not quite sure why you have Spinda among the gimmicks... Would you mind explaining that?
Also, among those you mentioned as weak, there are three who are actually gimmicks. Pachirisu (along with Plusle/Minun, Emolga and Dedenne) is the traditional Pikachu clone that appears in every Gen since the 3rd. Luvdisc is a Pokemon representing love and all (hell, the Pokedex says it's a gift in the way we give flowers and chocolate), while Farfetch'd has been made so weak on purpose; it's made to be the "loser" Pokemon. And for those who might be wondering, Dunsparce represents a mythical snake creature, so that might be an explanation of why it doesn't evolve.
Generally, non-evolving Pokemon (and non-legendary as well) aren't strong competitively (check Smogon OU) and those that are usually have a unique factor (e.g. Smeargle being able to learn every move, or Klefki having Prankster Spikes and Swagger + Foul Play). There are exceptions to this, of course, like Skarmory. Most non-evolving Pokemon, however, don't have enough power. And while some are gimmicks representing specific objects/creatures/legends and thus don't evolve, there are others that really seem pointless, at least competitively-wise. However, let's not forget this: Pokemon is a lot more than competitive battling, and expecting every Pokemon to evolve and/or be strong is pointless.
Do I use non-evolving Pokemon? Generally, no, but I am a competitive battler, so expecting me to use Dedenne would be too much, am I right? But I guess that if I did a fun run I could use some Pokemon like that, just to see how I'd fare. In the end, it's all a matter of preference.

Ice Jackal said:
I'm not quite sure why you have Spinda among the gimmicks... Would you mind explaining that?

I'd imagine because it's whole selling point is the 4 billion different spot patterns it can have.

I love to use non-evolving Pokemon, and I don´t really know why. It might be because they keep their awesome designs forever instead of turning into something really derp (Lotoad - Lombre). I also feel a weird sense of progression when I see a Pokemon I caught at low level grow without changing.

My favorite Pokemon, Skarmory and Heracross can´t evolve :) (technically Heracross can, but not forever)

Back