Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Linux

• Something completely different

• Total voters
RE: PC's or Macs?

Bulbabuddy said:
I noticed conflicting opinions on which computers are better for gaming. Which is normally considered superior for video games?

Machines running Windows are generally better for gaming because they better use the graphical resources given them, as well as having most games already coded for them. Video Game designers/coders generally just code for Windows because that's where most of the market is.

I have a Windows machine, I've never really liked the Mac OS. I find Windows to just be a much better OS. My overall opinion of the Mac OS is just that is was built more for in-experienced users, but that's just my opinion. So yeah.

What a sad subject. It is such a pity to watch people fight over a type of computer when they could really be using it to better measures.

Alvin and the Minezumis said:
What a sad subject. It is such a pity to watch people fight over a type of computer when they could really be using it to better measures.

...How exactly is this a sad subject? No one's fighting, we're just discussing which one we think is better.

Man, you're right! Instead, we could be arguing about something worthwhile!

...wait, that's not right.

It's just that whatever anyone says, there will never be a certain decision reached. Both computers have their merits, and I can't stand people who are anti Mac or PC.

They're both good. I'd actually love, if I had the money, to have a nice desktop PC for gaming, and a nice mac laptop for personal use.

As more things run on PC's, as in games, and other fun things, but Mac's are less susceptible to viruses. (aka most people make viruses for windows and not Mac's) And can run photoshop with ease, and come standard with a webcam now. (I thought my laptop did, but it didn't. :/) So yes, Mac for internet/creative use, and Windows for gaming/heavy duty things :D :D

It's just that whatever anyone says, there will never be a certain decision reached. Both computers have their merits, and I can't stand people who are anti Mac or PC.

Sorry man, but no one here really is. We weren't trying to reach a decision, just discussing which computers we prefer.

I wish I had a PC desktop and a Mac laptop too, Roa. It'd be good to have both.

I personally prefer PC's. I don't really like the interface on the Mac (the big scroll bar with all the icons at the bottom mostly.) The PC's also have a much wider variety of games, utilities, and just programs in general since they have been around much longer. Not to mention Apple has a horrible habit for overpricing every piece of technology they sell. (600 bucks for an iPad!? It can't even multitask really. It's capabilities are far less than a normal PC or even Mac computer. Basically it's an oversized itouch that won't fit into your pocket.) The one thing I do like about Apple's is their stability for...everything. They almost never seem to freeze up or take forever to load a program. They sparsely crash and overheat. They last for years on end too, and have pretty good battery life. Not only that, but just the stability of the motherboard surpasses PC's. PC's do have quite the problem of random loading errors, program failures, crashes, and so on due to the greater complexity of the programming involved. I guess PC vs. Mac is just a preference of having more perks, programs, and usability versus having a more stable computer that has fewer internal problems. Even then, I pick PC for desktops. They don't have too many problems if you buy a newer version. (If it's XP, Vista has far more problems than XP versions.) With laptops, I do like PC's a bit but I guess Apple would be fine too. I just prefer the set up that PC has.

Steadfast said:
since they have been around much longer.
Are you for real? Mac OS 1 predates Windows 1.0 by quite a bit, not to mention the first versions of Windows being what can only be described as blatant copies. MS has a long history of copying Apple (not to say Apple invents everything, or didn't copy other OSes, BTW), and it all started with their first OS. Before Windows, MS was actually one of the few software developers for the Mac, which is quite ironic.

And the "scrollbar" is called the dock and obviously inspired Windows' new Start-bar design or whatever it's called. You don't technically need it (heck, you can kill the dock and everything still runs fine), but it's a very useful (far more functional in quite a few aspects than the Windows start-bar), so I don't know why you'd do that. If you think it's such an eyesore (and are too lazy to go mess with your System files to change the dock image, amongst other things, or just change the dock settings so it uses the pre-leopard dock), you can just hide it until you move your cursor to the side of the screen you've placed your dock. Honestly, the UI of OS X is at least as flexible as Windows.

The iPad does not yet have iOS 4, which will give it the same multitasking functionality as the iPhone (which is more than sufficient for an OS which focusses on a single visible window). And when it comes to functionality, it's not quantity but quality which counts. A netbook with the same weight as the iPad (and probably far less battery life) will most likely not run as smooth as the iPad, the screen will probably be smaller to accommodate a keyboard, there won't be a decent way to move the cursor, etc., if you want to draw the comparison between computers. And don't forget that the iPad has a touch interface, so comparing it to your conventional computer might be rather meaningless.
And a big iPod Touch sounds great to me, I wouldn't want to run Pages or keynote on my iPod because the screen's too small for that, for example.
My favourite analogy: "A swimming pool is just a big bathtub". Honestly, size does matter.

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
Are you for real? Mac OS 1 predates Windows 1.0 by quite a bit, not to mention the first versions of Windows being what can only be described as blatant copies. MS has a long history of copying Apple (not to say Apple invents everything, or didn't copy other OSes, BTW), and it all started with their first OS. Before Windows, MS was actually one of the few software developers for the Mac, which is quite ironic.

Oh sorry, I got the two mixed up by which one was first, no big deal. Well one thing is I wasn't only talking about the interface with the dock. Secondly, another reason I don't like the iPad is because it's a bit harder to type, search, whatever without a dock or something holding it up. But more on topic, here are some more reasons I don't like Apple as much. (Although I do support them.) A big thing is the parts of the system. Unlike a pc, you can't just go out and switch a part for an upgrade. Usually when wanting a big upgrade, you need to buy a whole new computer. With PC, you can just go and change the parts right there and then, fairly easily. And just like the upgrades, repairs aren't cheap either. I am also the type of guy who likes to build and make their own stuff, and so I like to buy PC parts and put them together. With apple you can't do it, you need the whole computer and you can't get the operating system just alone either. I know, not many people would like this. But this is an opinion thread, and I am one of the few who do. Lastly, it's harder to access control in a Mac. I like to be able to have easier and more control over a computer, and it's just a little bit easier with PC's.

I prefer a Mac. Always.
I don't know wether it's
  • no anti-virus to slow it down
  • the speed of the processor
  • the amazing interface
  • the wireless keyboard or mouse (or now the trackpad:D) for the iMac
  • the amazing iWork suite (especially keynote)
Or just the brilliant looks.

Also the iPad is amazing. I'm using one right now.

And if you need to know anything about Apple, I browse their website for fun.

Steadfast said:
Oh sorry, I got the two mixed up by which one was first, no big deal. Well one thing is I wasn't only talking about the interface with the dock. Secondly, another reason I don't like the iPad is because it's a bit harder to type, search, whatever without a dock or something holding it up. But more on topic, here are some more reasons I don't like Apple as much. (Although I do support them.) A big thing is the parts of the system. Unlike a pc, you can't just go out and switch a part for an upgrade. Usually when wanting a big upgrade, you need to buy a whole new computer. With PC, you can just go and change the parts right there and then, fairly easily. And just like the upgrades, repairs aren't cheap either. I am also the type of guy who likes to build and make their own stuff, and so I like to buy PC parts and put them together. With apple you can't do it, you need the whole computer and you can't get the operating system just alone either. I know, not many people would like this. But this is an opinion thread, and I am one of the few who do. Lastly, it's harder to access control in a Mac. I like to be able to have easier and more control over a computer, and it's just a little bit easier with PC's.

I think you've been informed incorrectly. You can modify your Mac or whatever Apple system you're using. It's just it can be a lot harder to do so, due to compatibility issues and usually access to where you need to put the upgraded hardware is kind of awkward - yet still possible. Last I checked you can buy Mac OS install discs; they ship with most new Apple computer products. You can't build a Mac simply because a Mac is a branded computer; the same as you can't personally build a Dell PC because it won't have been made by Dell. You can however build a computer that runs an Apple OS, that's exactly the same as what you do when you personally build your own PC.

Has no one mentioned the obvious PC-fanboy statement yet? You can customise the software and OS on a PC, you can't on a Mac" and "Windows can run Mac OS_, Mac can't run Windows".

But yeah, in terms of usability I prefer using a Mac - faster and things run a lot smoother. But for compatibility a PC; there are way too many decent programs that don't function properly on a Mac.

Indeed, I thought I said that. Put simply can't all computers run any OS assuming the specs are good enough?

You said this:

Has no one mentioned the obvious PC-fanboy statement yet? You can customise the software and OS on a PC, you can't on a Mac" and "Windows can run Mac OS_, Mac can't run Windows".

I was saying that you could.

I think you misunderstood me. That was me giving an example of two of the most common failed arguments. I know Mac OS can run Windows, I do it all the time. :p

I know that... Anyway, let someone else do the argument instead. He meant that is what you said PC fan boys say, and he said that they were wrong.

Thought this would be fun to revive after "Your browser" came back. I'll just be hijacking your thread now.

For the previous topic of this thread: I have no preference. I try to distance myself away from them as much as possible. Such are the perils of a Nintendo fanboy and his refusal to give money to competing companies unless warranted with very good reason.

Now, for the new topic:

I dual-boot Windows and Natty (Ubuntu 11.04) on a HP Pavilion. Windows is there because I don't want to trash what the machine came with, and I'm not overly confident about the various recovery discs I have. But Ubuntu, ah, Ubuntu. So many benefits for me. Frozen Bubble, SoundConverter, Unity, Wubi, easy reinstallation, far faster boot, default non-root accounts, lots of included drivers, and oh-so-much-more.

But mainly, I try to use Chrome OS on my Cr-48 whenever possible. Awesomely fast boot, great resume from standby, great company marketing, built with Gentoo roots, guest mode, and again, oh-so-much-more. My only gripe is the single-core processor of the Cr-48 slowing many things down, but that's not a problem with Chrome OS or anything.

I voted for PC on the poll a while back, but consider that unchecked and Ubuntu and Chrome OS checked.

Back