XY5 'Gaia Volcano' and 'Tidal Storm' Leaking! [12/10]

ThunderSloth said:
Now that nearly all has been leaked, I would like to state this.

Though Groudon may seem terrible, just imagine a primal groudon with a weakness policy in a donphan deck. The only way you could OHKO that is either with some major flipz or with a loaded mewtwo or yveltal that you could just rush in retreat back to something to kill, knocking out the opponents energy. Throw some max potions in the deck and you are unstoppable. Not even a G-Booster could OHKO with virbank and laser. The only flaw I see in this, however, is a toad matchup. Since weakness policy is a thing, you couldn't use a yanmega to take it out as they are most likely going to play WP so let me know your thoughts and ideas about a counter for toad.(I also don't see garbodor as much of a threat but I don't generally play donphan decks so idk what that matchup is like)

was that to me? Sry im new here ( not to the gam Lul)

And do you guys have any suggest on what to change my deck after the new set comes out?
Or just advice in general.

3 Yveltal EX
3 Yveltal
2 Darkrai EX
2 Seismitoad EX
1 Dedenne
1 Jirachi EX

4 Sycamore
3 N
3 Lysandre
2 Skyla
1 Colress
1 Center Lady

3 Ultra Ball
3 Switch
3 Muscle Band
3 Hard Charm
2 Vs Seeker
2 E hammer
1 M Phone
1 Letter
1 Comp Search

3 Shadow Circle

8 Dark
4 Dce

ObamaForWorlds! said:
ThunderSloth said:

Though Groudon may seem terrible, just imagine a primal groudon with a weakness policy in a donphan deck. The only way you could OHKO that is either with some major flipz or with a loaded mewtwo or yveltal that you could just rush in retreat back to something to kill, knocking out the opponents energy. Throw some max potions in the deck and you are unstoppable. Not even a G-Booster could OHKO with virbank and laser. The only flaw I see in this, however, is a toad matchup. Since weakness policy is a thing, you couldn't use a yanmega to take it out as they are most likely going to play WP so let me know your thoughts and ideas about a counter for toad.(I also don't see garbodor as much of a threat but I don't generally play donphan decks so idk what that matchup is like)

And do you guys have any suggest on what to change my deck after the new set comes out?

3 Yveltal EX
3 Yveltal
2 Darkrai EX
2 Seismitoad EX
1 Dedenne
1 Jirachi EX

4 Sycamore
3 N
3 Lysandre
2 Skyla
1 Colress
1 Center Lady

3 Ultra Ball
3 Switch
3 Muscle Band
3 Hard Charm
2 Vs Seeker
2 E hammer
1 M Phone
1 Letter
1 Comp Search

3 Shadow Circle

8 Dark
4 Dce

Maybe this?
Bouffalant - Colorless - HP110
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Herbivore
This Pokemon’s attacks do an additional 40 damage to your opponent’s [G] Pokemon.

[C][C][C] Overturn: 80 damage. Discard 1 Special Energy attached to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Or this?Sharpedo EX - Darkness - HP170
Basic Pokemon

[D][C] Prowl After: Switch your opponent’s Active Pokemon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokemon. This attack does 30 damage to the new Active Pokemon.
[D][D][C] Jaggy Fang: 100 damage. Discard 1 Energy attached to this Pokemon. Then discard 1 Energy attached to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

ObamaForWorlds! said:
ThunderSloth said:

3 Yveltal EX
3 Yveltal
2 Darkrai EX
2 Seismitoad EX
1 Dedenne
1 Jirachi EX

4 Sycamore
3 N
3 Lysandre
2 Skyla
1 Colress
1 Center Lady

3 Ultra Ball
3 Switch
3 Muscle Band
3 Hard Charm
2 Vs Seeker
2 E hammer
1 M Phone
1 Letter
1 Comp Search

3 Shadow Circle

8 Dark
4 Dce

Personally I would play just 2 yveltal 1 darkrai and 2 circle also 4 N is neccessary, also if u can, add a keldeo ex in for the rush in retreat option, 3 hard charm also doesnt seem right, maybe add a float stone or 2 or a lysandres trump card idk bro, do what you want

Just to clarify, Ancient Excadrill's 'Mold' attack doesn't specify what kind of Energy you need to attach, so if you really wanted to, you could search out 4 Rainbow Energy. It should also be noted that Rainbow Energy only places damage counters when from the hand, and this attack attaches from the deck.

Aromatisse is going to have a heart attack.

EDIT: According to the Collector Viper, the attack specifies that you search for 2 Metal Energy and attach, but I don't think this is the true translation, since the Metal Energy symbol is nowhere to be seen on the text portion of 'Mold'.

Predictions/hopes for Tidal Storm:

Eelektross:

It is almost certain that Eelektross will get an Ancient Trait card. Just look at Kingdra, Drilbur, Medicham etc - they all have regular and Ancient versions. Every Ancient Trait card so far has a regular variant. As well as that, Tynamo is 036 yet Eelektrik (Ancient Trait) is 038. This must mean that 037 is a regular Eelektrik. The revealed Eelektross is 039 and if we apply the same logic then Ancient Trait Eelektross will be 040. They wouldn't just print a random Eelektrik with an Ancient Trait and leave Eelektross alone. It looks really inconsistent. So I'm 97% sure that there is an Ancient Trait Eelektross, and just by going off Eelektrik and the other revealed Ancient Trait cards it is sure to have outstanding artwork. It's going to be a bit weird having that Recovery trait but hopefully it gets some good attacks.

Other thoughts:

If I'm right and the Ancient Trait Eelektross is 040 (please please please let there be an Ancient Trait Eelektross) then there is about 2-4 spaces left for Lightning type Pokemon. I know Mr Mime is 046 and the rest of the Fairy types go on into the early 50s. However, Sharpedo-EX is unreadable, but it is 40-something. It is the only Darkness type revealed so far. It is possible that any more Darkness types could go either into Gaia Volcano or Tidal Storm since Sharpedo-EX is only represented in Tidal Storm since it is Team Aqua's. But it's more likely that Darkness will be in Tidal Storm. So perhaps there will only be 2 more spots for Lightning type Pokemon, in which case they are definitely Electrike and Manectric. Which leaves 2-3 more spots for Darkness Pokemon.

It's strange that Surskit is in Tidal Storm since all the other Grass types are featured in Gaia Volcano. I briefly assumed that Masquerain would be a Water type card but then I forgot that it loses its Water typing upon evolution (stupid) - so it can only be Grass type in the TCG, really. Why would the Surskit/Masquerain line be in Tidal Storm, then? It would make sense if Surskit was given a Water typing, but it's still Grass. In any case, I've always had a soft spot for Masquerain, so I'm looking forward to what sort of card it has.

EDIT: Woops, I forgot that we are yet to see a Chinchou and Lanturn. That fills up the rest of the available spots in Tidal Storm for Lightning types. I don't know what to make of it now since that basically means Sharpedo-EX is the only Darkness type in Tidal Storm. Maybe a couple of other Darkness types will be in Gaia Volcano, but that set already looks quite full. They wouldn't just skip a type completely would they?

EDIT 2: I also forgot that a Crawdaunt (045) has been revealed... So it's probable that Corphish will be with the Water types and Crawdaunt will be 40-something as a Darkness type to go alongside Sharpedo-EX. *gulps* This doesn't bode well for there being any room left for an Ancient Trait Eelektross...

Predicted summary:

040: Electrike/Chinchou
041: Manectric/Lanturn
042: Electrike/Chinchou
043: Manectric/Lanturn
044: Sharpedo-EX
045: Crawdaunt
046: Mr. Mime
etc...

= NO Ancient Trait Eelektross!! ;( Whhhyy?? Why?!

Probably should swap the first Weedle for a Tangela :p

Does that Beedrill... one hit KO!? For free!?
That Trick though... pretty cool.
I do wonder why different types of stages with evolution get ATs, but some evos don't.

And the stage twos are copying trainer/supporter cards ._. Creativity, GF!

Hmm with all these EXs, and all these new cards with the ancient traits and trainer cards are making a good reason for me to buy a lot of packs, I might be able to go back to my childhood where I didn't pick a deck, I could just make a bunch of fun decks from what I had, theres so many new strategies and synergies that I probably could make a pretty well off deck just from the cards I pull, that excites me, choosing a "meta" deck or 2 and not being able to do anything doing anything else once the budget run dry makes me anxious, I mean they did everything they could to cripple my accelgor deck and look what I'm left with, tool drop people got there's a while ago too. Im also very conscious of how new players view the game and how to get into it, having been at the bottom once myself. but with this set, sealing myself into 1 playstyle might not be a factor, who knows, lets see what the pull rates are like. Shiny cards, more stage 2s, more abilities,more reasons to trade smaller card instead of the money makers, more strategies and more moves for this big complicated game of rock paper scissors, I like it.

Keep in mind Beedrill's attack is targeting the defending Pokemon, so if they retreat/Switch/etc., it won't knock out anything. There's been attacks of this nature in the past. They're not that useful. (Though we do have Dragalge now, which could make it more of a thing.)

Hmm... Is there really TWO Bidoof and no Bibarel? This is the first time I can think of that a booster set in Japan has had an evolving basic without its evolution.

So many good stadiums in this set. Quite a few other good trainer cards as well. I hope we see spirit link cards for pre-Phantom Forces mega evolutions, maybe as promos. Seems kind of unfair for some to get them while others do not.

Ancient Traint Swapmpert is better with Slurpuff Furious Fists. Once during you turn you search for a card in your deck and place it on top with Swampert's ability, then you just draw it with Slurpuffs ability. If you have two of each in play, you do it twice. You don't even need a hand, if your opponent N down to one card, you just place a Juniper on top and draw it, or a VS Seeker, or whatever card you need. Full control of your deck.
And swampert is a very good attacker that makes use of Dive Ball, the new Stadium, and it's easy to energize because of aGrowth.

All them artworks are gorgeous! I absolutely adore both Rhyperiors, Trevenant EX and Eelektross, they look Amazing! The Spheal artwork though, looks like a mess to my honestly, and the Walrein looks really weird. Other than those two I think the artworks looks incredible!

I also think its cool how they switched up the types, with us getting the first Psychic cards with Tentacool & Tentacruel and Starmie, Steel Excadrill, Grass Trevenant, Fighting Diggersby and Dark Crawdaunt. I just miss my Water Bibarel, I really want to see another one!

Multi Strike Medicham could end up being broken. Strong Energy, a couple Machamps, muscle band, and that memory shrine stadium (or Celebi EX if you want fighting stadium) and you're doing 200+ damage for a single energy. A lot of set up, but it could be well worth it.

Huntail could also end up being good. It's like Gallade PS on a stage 2. And there are plenty of water pokemon with G Growth to make getting energy on the field easier.

Starmie is also really neat. Could be a decent Mewtwo or Lucario counter in the right situation.

So what do people here think is the best half art card in this set?

I really like the Bidoof, Whiscash and Eelektrik ones. Excadrill looks good but the background of that one means it is not on part with the other ones in my opinion. I was also hoping for a Lanturn ancient trait card, but we just got a regular version.

Probably Magcargo for me. Rhyperior, Electrike and Kingdra are great, too, but Magcargo is the only one that I feel nailed both the Pokemon itself and the background. Electrike kinda did, too, but I feel its art didn't require a "half art" for it to work, and could have easily been a regular art with no real loss of detail.

Maybe this Beedreel could run with Victreebel FUF. Beedrell only need one energy, and you keep discarting the others to confuse and poison the defending pokémon with Victreebel's ability so they can't retreat.

SET REVIEW!!

Quick Synopsis: I know a lot of people are probably going to kill me for saying this, but I don't think this is something that can be denied; Gaia Volcano and Tidal Storm are so far the best XY sets, and this is coming from someone with a bias towards Generation 3! There is literally no competition. Minimal bulk cards, amazing artwork, focus on Stage 2 support, you name it, they got it! Now, what about the cards themselves? I mean, if you're taking the time to read this, you probably want to hear about all the cards, right? Well, let's start with Gaia Volcano!

Gaia Volcano Cards

Sceptile

Sceptile is quite a good acceleration card. I don't think it will replace Virizion-EX for the 2014-15 season (aside from Budget Decks), but I know this guy has a lot going for him. An extra attachment and heal per turn is just too good to pass up, so I'd say that this guy is probably the better Sceptile in this set, but what about the other..?

Ancient Sceptile

Despite the fact that this Sceptile has Omega Barrier, the attacks are only fairly good. None of them will instantly Knock-Out a 180HP Pokemon-EX, unless Weakness is considered. I think Grow Healing Sceptile decks might consider using 1 of these as an alternate attacker, but that's really the only use 1 see for it at the moment.

Breloom

What, Breloom? This guy looks interesting! A Grass-Type that uses Fighting Energy, similar to PLB Abomasnow. I think this guy could easily find his way into Landorus-EX and Donphan decks as a counter to Water Types, and to be honest, the attacks aren't awful. They're what they need to be in order to make him a good card, next!

Trevenant-EX

Probably the worst EX in this set. Wood Blast is just not a decent replacement for the 'bread and butter' that is currently Virizion/Genesect. I do think that this guy could see a lot of play with Sceptile during the 2015/16 season, once all of BW rotates out.

Ninetales

This is a surprisingly good card! You can use this to either stop your opponent from laying down Stadium cards for Primal Groudon to use, or you can put down the new Silent Lab Stadium and lock it in place! This is defenitely going to be used a lot, I can guarantee it!

Ancient Magcargo

One of the more surprising cards from this set, honestly. I think it's fairly good, because that attack will take any opposing Metal or Grass EX down in a single fire! (get it?) Do I think it will see major play? Probably not. Unlike Bouffalant DRX, you need to use FIre Energy, so this guy can be a bit slower than usual.

Blaziken

Even though most Blaziken cards are really good (Blaziken ex, Blaziken FB Lvl X), I'd say this one is probably one of the 'not as great' ones. On paper, it doesn't look awful. 2 for 100 is actually really good, and you could always use the first attack to power up another Blaziken FUF, which I assume will start seeing some more play once this set releases. Still, unless you decide to run 1 of this guy in another Blaziken deck, this guy just doesn't do much else.

Camerupt-EX

So, the history of Black/White started with Magnezone Prime/Emboar, and now it's ending with CameruptEX/Emboar, eh? Seriously, guys. This guy's going to be good. Even though discarding Energy might be hefty, you only have to discard equal to the amount you want to deal. So, there are always those situations where you could Lysandre out a Jirachi-EX and burn it for just a single discard!

Manectric

I find this guy to be interesting. Instant Paralysis is cool, but the discard required means that you'll have to use something like a combo with Eelektross (more on that later) and an Alpha Growth Stage 1 to be able to consistently Paralyze. I doubt Manectric will see play, but I do think it would be fun to use this guy in a rogue deck sometime!

Ancient Nidoqueen

Seems strange that she doesn't have an accompanying Nidoking. Oh well. With the help of Dimension Valley and Muscle Band, Nidoqueen can Dynamic Punch for 180 damage on just 2 Energy! What a steal! Nidoqueen is very, very strong, and I know a lot of people will use her. The thing that frightens me, though, is how she falls prey to a single Mewtwo-EX, which pretty much every deck uses 1 of nowadays.

Rhyperior

Even though the attack cost is pretty bad for a Stage 2, I'd say that Rock Tumble is an overall quite nice attack. If you wanted to, you could try it in unison with Mew-EX and Dimension Valley! This one won't be a Championship winner, but he does look pretty fun to use, so I thought I would mention him here.

Ancient Rhyperior

Seriously, guys. This guy is really great. Rock Wall stacks, so if you really wanted, you could have 3 Rhyperior and a Hard Charm on a Furfrou, to reduce all damage by 80! Actually, don't do that. Instead, use Regigigas PHF! More HP, better attacks, it goes without saying. There are defenitely a lot of other combo options for Ancient Rhyperior, but I think that Regigigas will be the most fun idea to use :D

Ancient Medicham

Okay, another really good attacker. Seriously, pretty much every Omega Barrager is good, and this one is probably the best attacker out of all of them! WIth 2 Machamp on your Bench and a Muscle Band, you hit that magic 180, just like Nidoqueen! It still has a big 'kick me' sign on the back of it that Mewtwo-EX is staring at, but I do feel that this guy is a force to be reckoned with!

Solrock

Well, I guess searching for Special Energy is cool. I don't think it's very viable, but I do find this guy to be particularly unique when it comes to those kinds of attacks, and it might become a 1-of tech in Donphan.

Primal Groudon-EX

No foolin', guys. This guy is an absolute tank. 240HP is amazing, and the attack cost is easily ignorable with the help of Landorus FUF. With a Focus Sash, it is pretty much impossible to OHKO this guy. If you happen to be in a bad match-up against Virizion/Genesect, a Megalo Cannon with a Muscle Band will only bring you down to 10HP, and you can't be Hypnotoxic'd, Lysandre'd, Megaphone'd, Hammer'd, Grunt'd, or anything! This one is a keeper that will go on to be the star of many a deck!

Hippowdon

Considering that Fighting Types have so much power enhancers, I'd say this one is defenitely worth it. Stopping EX's is always good, and it isn't that hard to hit amounts like 120 or 140. I like for what it is, so I'd say it's defenitely worth your time.

M. Aggron-EX

Bronzong is a thing, so there is literally no reason NOT to play this guy. Potential for OHKO's, Bronzong Support, and you could even throw in a Reshiram, Zekrom, or Kyurem for bonus recoil absorption! I haven't looked into it a lot, but I do think that this guy could be just as good as Primal Groudon!

Ancient Excadrill

What was Japan thinking when they printed this? You won't be using this guy for attacking, you'll be using him to stock up on Transferable Energy! If he happens to survive the following turn, then you can manipulate that energy however you like with things like Hydreigon, Energy Switch, Aromatisse, and Eelektross! (more on him later)

Aegislash

A better Leavanny! Though, I'd say that Weakness Policy is the better card to use. Setting aside a 2-1-2 line and 2 Rare Candy in your deck just doesn't seem like a good Weakness-stopping idea, when you could just run a single Weakness Policy. I could see this guy as a 1-of in standard Aegislash decks (which might become better with Bronzong), but it's otherwise not great.

Flygon

Whoops, I dropped Reggie's GIF...

FYq7M.gif%20

This card is fantastic, and probably one of the better Draw Support stage 2's! You can shuffle for yourself to get a fresh hand, or you can disrupt your opponent! Defenitely worth the Stage 2 slot, and probably going to see a bit of play at the very least!

Bouffalant

This feels like another Drifblim PLB. Specifically used for countering a specific archetype and removing Special Energy. I think he's really good, and being a Basic is a great benefit for this guy! I'd expect about 40% of most decks to run at least 1 of these!

Repeat Ball

I think this could become another Staple search card, and I feel the best use for this one is in decks that use a lot of EX's to constantly attack, like Yveltal variants and Seismitoad variants. As for other decks, I'd say just stick with Ultra Ball!

Weakness Policy

This will be a staple as a one-of in pretty much every deck. Stopping Weakness with a single Tool is great, and I can't think of a single deck that won't benefit from this!

Team Mates

Leave it to the Pokemon Company to make the best Supporters be the ones of cute girls... *rolls eyes* (*cough* Skyla *cough* Korrina *cough*)

So, Twins, eh? I think pretty much every Donphan Deck and Stage 2 Deck will make use of this. I know from research that Twins was used in pretty much every slow setup deck, and I think that it's defenitely worth it to play this card!

Maxie's Hidden Trick

Placing my bets, this card will be called "Maxie's Last Resort" in English!!!

Aside from maybe a 1-of in Fighting Decks, the card requires way too much preperation to be good. Lowering your hand down to just 1 card is incredibly tough, so it will kind of be a semi-staple for Fighting Decks. Same goes for Archie's Trump Card. No point in reviewing the same card twice, am I right?

Memory Shrine

While I do find this to be a bit better than Celebi-EX, the trouble with Stadiums is that there is always the risk of losing it to an opponent. Still, there are probably a lot of crazy combinations you could come up with! Night March Gourgantic Gourgeist (which is already a pretty popular deck), Raging Hammer M. Aggron, and more!

Scorching Earth

Defenitely one of the better Stadiums in recent times. The draw support it gives is very helpful, and I think it will find it's way into pretty much every Blacksmith and Emboar deck! Aside from Landorus, it's pretty otherwise pointless to discard Fighting Energy for the effect.

Shield Energy

While the effect is certainly good, I doubt it will be used, since it can't be recycled with Bronzong and it's too susceptable to Enhanced Hammer.

Tidal Storm Cards

Beedrill

This card came out of nowhere! I have no idea what this card does. Does the KO occur at the END of your next turn? If your opponent moves the target to the Bench, do they still get the KO? Aside from maybe a lock combination with Dragalge/Laser, I wouldn't expect this card to ever see a whole lot of play. 120HP just isn't what it used to be...

Ludicolo

A free Catcher per turn? That's interesting. While Ludicolo is defenitely a good card, I don't think it will see major competitive play since Lysandre is just much more consistent. Otherwise, good stuff.

Ancient Swampert

I'm being dead serious here, guys. Swampert is universally great. Alpha Growth allows you to power up a 160 damage Hydro Pump in just 2 turns, and diving search is just amazing in combo with Slurpuff PHF! Even better, you can make use of the fact that the card is moved to the top of your deck by playing Ether! Move an Energy to the top of your deck and viola! This guy is too good to ignore, and is easily one of the best cards from this set!

Ancient Ludicolo

It's an interesting attacker. The trait, in combination with the second attack, can consistently do moderate damage. The issue I see here is that Grass Type Weakness is just too much for this guy. With Swampert, you can go super speedy, so the Grass Weakness isn't awful. With Ludicolo, you have to leave yourself vulnerable for a turn just to get the damage boost. I'd say this guy is only mediocre right now.

Wailord-EX

OMC DONPHAN HAS NEW PARTNER 4 THE WIN!!!!!
oh my crud
Actually, it's a really broken wall. With Max Potion still in the format, it will rarely get OHKO'd, aside from the occasional G-Booster or Ancient Sceptile. Even without Max Potion, you can still use some of the newer cards in this set to recover HP. I'll get to those in a second...

Ancient Whiscash

I already did a pretty in-depth look at this card a while back, so I'll just give a brief synopsis here. You can use it with the Unova Dragons. There really isn't much else to this guy, and I doubt that it will see an explosive amount of play.

Milotic

Another really good engine! Getting cards from the Discard is great, and this can be pretty much used in any deck. I don't know if it's the 'end-all' support card, but the decks that do end up using it will make great use of it! Why Milotic cards are always good, we'll never know...

Huntail

I didn't even notice this guy was a Holofoil! Did they just pass out free lottery tickets to everyone and that was used to determine the Holos? Anyway, the card is good for what it's supposed to do. I find that running a 2-2 line might be good in almost any Alpha Growth deck, since the damage output is quite high.

Primal Kyogre-EX

Defenitely just as good as Primal Groudon! While Groudon is stronger and sturdier, Kyogre is much quicker and focuses on covering your opponent's field quickly and surely. While Alpha Growth is a very helpful addition, I think Blastoise is the overall better option. 2 bonus Energy per turn isn't as good as unlimited. Again, the Grass Weakness can be a problem, but I think that it should balance out to be fine, with Weakness Policy now in the format!

Lanturn

Using the same focus as Breloom, Lanturn is specifically meant to be an Yveltal and Lugia answer in Water Decks. The thing is, I doubt anyone will use him much, since Raichu XY can do pretty much the same thing! It does have the benefit of slightly more HP and an Agility-like attack, though.

Eelektross

Lightning Types finally get the support they need! Seriously, you can combo this guy with so much! You can use it in unison with that Excadrill, or even a Pokemon with Alpha Growth! There is so much use for this guy, and I think that the fact you can move any basic Energy with the effect makes it even more universally powerful! If you ever meet me in person, you can bet I'll be playing a Toolbox deck with Excadrill/Eelektross!!

Starmie

When Mewtwo-EX rotates, this might be the next Psychic any-attacker. It works with colorless Energy, and it isn't that hard to get the desired amount of damage you need, even though there's always the matter of luck involved. The free retreat cost is another helpful asset!

Sharpedo-EX

This card is another pretty good EX. The guaranteed Energy removal makes it a nice combo with the next card in this review! (Crawdaunt) There isn't much other heavy use I can think of for this card. I know it will defenitely find another combo in the near future, but I can't think of one right off the top of my head...

Crawdaunt

Garbodor won't be around forever. When it finally is out of the picture, Seismitoad-EX will probably be using Crawdaunt a lot, and it makes sense. The capability to shatter Energy continuously with an Ability is very helpful, and Bench space probably won't ever be a huge issue here, since you could just use AZ or Cassius to move it back to the deck. Good card overall!

M. Gardevoir-EX

This card is really great in combination with the already-broken Aromatisse, but the issue of Metal Weakness is awful. Bronzong variants have been getting really popular, and having only 210HP on a Mega Evolution just isn't that great. You would probably have to run Weakness Policy and Masquerain PLB to consistently keep yourself defended. Otherwise, this is probably one of the better Mega's in recent times! I don't know if it's as good as the Primals or Mega Manectric, but it's close!

Ancient Kingdra

As a standalone attacker, Kingdra is good. The Alpha Growth Trait in combo with it's really powerful attacks makes it a strong card overall. The discard isn't that big of an issue, and can actually be used to your advantage quite effectively! With PLF Kingdra, you can come in for an almighty finisher attack, dealing around 80 to 120 damage for a single Energy with the bonus of recovering the Energy! I like cards that combo well with previous prints, and Kingdra is defenitely one of those cards.

Fresh Water Set

Potion is going to need another eratta to make it useable again because Fresh Water is a really nice Item! 20 off of all your Pokemon is a decent amount, and the 'good' Alpha Healers in this set (by that I mean Ludicolo and nothing else) can get 40 back from it. For sure a good card!

Dive Ball

Did they really have to print this? I personally would have favored a Net Ball, but I digress. I don't know if it will replace Ultra Ball, but I know that any deck that uses Water Types for primary attacking (Swampert, Keldeo-EX, Seismitoad-EX, Primal Kyogre) will run at least 1 or 2 copies!

Professor Birch's Observations

It is only an average Supporter, really. 7 cards off of a Supporter that needs a coin flip can easily be reached with Juniper, Colress, and others! 4 cards is only okay, and can be reached by so many other methods, like Flygon and Bicycle! I don't think this card will ever be competitively used, and it really is a shame.

Silent Lab

Taking away an Ability, but making it only affect Basics was a great idea. Sure, it will make Jirachi-EX, Exeggcute, and much more quite obselete, but it's still balanced. Too bad that fatty Garbodor still kills it off. Seriously, why did that card need a reprint?!?

Undulating Ocean

Oh, that's cool! A stadium that heals off Water Types and... wait, Lightning Types? I guess it makes sense since Lightning is commonly associated with bad weather...

I do enjoy this card a lot, but I feel like it gets harmed a little bit by being a Stadium. I also would have liked it more if it healed Pokemon that have L or W Energy attached to it instead, so it could help out Kingdra.

Wonder Energy

This is a quite good card! You can manipulate it with Fairy Transfer, and it stops Hypnotoxic Lasers and much more! I don't have a full list of everything it stops, but pretty much anything from an attack, aside from damage, that is directly done to the Pokemon is stopped. This includes things like Special Conditions, Retreat Prevention, but doesn't stop Item Lock or hand-reshuffling.

You know, I'm almost thinking that we'll have two more megas this set. I know it's contradictory but think about this...

Camerupt EX and Sharpedo EX are in this set. They mega evolve as of ORAS. Normally they don't put EX's in a set without their megas, but in January they are also releasing an Aqua/Magma mini crisis set, of which those two Pokemon were featured. Their megas could hit Japan at that time, and then in February's Primal Clash they turn around and add those two (or more if they have FA's as well) to our English set.

Here's something else to look forward too. Gaia Volcano and Tidal Storm have 140 cards between them. We already know that Primal Clash will have 160 cards. We have at least twenty more cards to look forward to being revealed. If they decide to make the FA's secret rare in English (which would suck, so hopefully not) it could be a bit more than that as well.

I like that we got some alternate typings here. Fighting Diggersby, poison Tentacool/Tentacruel/Steel Excadrill, fairy Marill/Azumarill (though it makes me wonder what happened to suddenly exclude babies, I mean we could have fairy versions of Cleffa, Igglybuff, Mime Jr. and Azurill by now too). It gives me a bit of hope that one of the 20 extra cards put into this set is the fighting Pangoro that was a promo in Japan for Furious Fists.

Back