XY Will You Nickname Your X / Y Team? What Will You Call Your Pokémon? Why?

Well, let's see...

Delphox (F) - Mozilla (I had too, it is my favorite browser)
Gardevoir (F) - Alara (based on a fanfic I read, I'm sad, I know...)
Meowstic (F) - Juliet (Shakespeare anyone?)
Malimar (?) - GettingSleepy? (unless I come up with something better, which is highly likely)
Espeon (?) - Kokoro (mind in Japanese)
Sigilyph (F) - Isis (Egyptian goddess of magic, need I say more?)

So...yea...that's my nickname lineup...psychic girls...bye!

My current team:

Willis: Chesnaught (M)
Nunson: Talonflame (F) I don't know how I came up with that name
Epsilon: Aurorus (M)
Cecilia: Dragalge (F)
Kise: Heliolisk (M)
Lizzy: Azumarill (F)

All of these nicknames were made on the spot, out or my head.

Also named my Yveltal "I did nothin" cause of the storyline

DrEspeon said:
Meowstic (F) - Juliet (Shakespeare anyone?)

That is frickin' creepy. On Tuesday I was thinking about my future Y team and thought I should go for Meowstic. I was thinking about a name for it; and boom -- Juliet pops into my mind.

*two days later* *reads thread* *goes wtf*

xD

I nicknamed every single one of my Pokémon during my run, but here are some of my highlights/favorites:

Gogoat: Pedal (Go-go-go like a bicycle)
Furfrou: Balliten (Ballista, reminds me of a stampeding dog somehow, off the top of my head)
Carbink: Pruddle (The head spikes remind me of a propeller or rudder)
Sigilyph: A'therys (The mortal plane in the Cosmic Mesh, Sigilyph guarded ancient peoples)
Heliolisk: Soliza (Solar and Lizard shortened)
Slurpuff: The Spins (Song reference)
Aegislash: Kitjunen (I have no idea, sounds Japanese)
Goodra: Neptan/Dichroma (Sea diety something, and then something about the eyes)
Drapion: Scarpula (Scorpion and escarpment had a part in this, I forget my thought process)
Trevenant: Lich Lord/Resentry (First one should be obvious, second is resent and tree, also self-explanatory)
Gourgeist: Gereva (On the spot name here)
Avalugg: Jarita (Also on the spot)
Lucario: Caeda (This one has inspiration from Darth Caedus on this site, Lucario avatar)
Druddigon: Direkuda (I wanted a corruption of the original name and got carried away in a good way)
Pidgeot: Aesia (Aerial and Asia)
Noivern: Valecho (This is just echo with a cool prefix that came out of my head)
Greninja: Zeri (I was going to steal Azuriken, but then I shortened it)
Charizard (X): Skyvirn (Sky and wyvern with a corruption)
Raichu: Chant (Because, when I caught it as a Pikachu, it chanted its name so often that this word stuck)
Hydreigon: Dexas (A former name of one of my BW2 Hydreigons, this one carried on for some reason)
Xerneas: Celexion (This was the name I gave Xerneas before its official name was announced)
Diggersby: Positive? (It could be positive for a mental disorder or, as I saw it as a Bunnelby, might have social awkwardness)
Yveltal: Tiravyon (My name for Yveltal before its name was released)

I have a weird attachment for Japanese or completely fantastical names that make no sense in English but sound cool.

~AoH

Chesnaught - Juggernaut (Pitiful nickname :) )

Pyroar - Mafusa (Lion King reference)

Goodra - Dragoon (Kirby Air Ride reference anyone?)

Aerodactyl - Terrodactyl (Terror + Pterodactyl)

Blastiose - Koopa (Mario reference)

My Chesnaught (girl) is Bacon. No real reason, just thought it would fit perfectly. And it did.

My Charizard (boy) is Sriracha. Named after the fiery hot sauce. Probably my favorite nickname of the crew.

My Tyrantrum (boy) is Donner. Named after the notorious Donner Party, my Tyrantrum is a ruthless cannibal

My Dragalge (girl) is Mage. Just thought it sounded pretty cool.

My Klefki (boy) is Colm. Named after the thief from Fire Emblem (and also my avatar), Colm could pick locks. Perfect name for a bunch of keys with the prankster ability.

My Pangoro (girl) is Tobacco. Named after the signature leaf in her mouth, which I imagined being a tobacco leaf.

I'm going with a Doctor Who theme, so here's what I have:
Chesnaught: Impossible (Didn't have room for The Impossible Chesnaught)
Lucario: The Doctor (Favorite Pokemon, so...)
Blaziken: Blaziken (Wouldn't let me name it ;n;)
Blastoise: Ood (Kinda random... Whatever...)
Yveltal: Paradox (If you saw the episode you would get it)
Tyrantrum: Slyveen (Also random, probably spelled wrong...)
I also have a Grumpig named Lazlo but I don't use it. (Again, you would have to see the episode)

I love Greek and Roman mythology so my team is all myth based:
Greninja - Neptune
Charizard - Vulcan
Lucario - Mars
Blaziken - Ares
Florges - Aphrodite
Xerneas - Gaia
Zygarde - Tartarus
Yyveltal (when I have it) - Oranus
Mewtwo - Kronos
Delphox - Hecate

Lesse, I've got (all males):

Sunny the Delphox. It just fit.

Felix the Venasaur. I think it was the ears, reminded me of Felix the cat.

Orion the Aurorus. Because I wanted to do something with a night sky theme.

Night the Noivern. This picture.

Julian the Sylveon. Like the Harvest Moon character I named him for he is just a beautiful boy. <3

Happy the Goodra. He just always looks so freaking happy, it just had to be his name.

Zekroman said:
I'm going with a Doctor Who theme, so here's what I have:
Chesnaught: Impossible (Didn't have room for The Impossible Chesnaught)
Lucario: The Doctor (Favorite Pokemon, so...)
Blaziken: Blaziken (Wouldn't let me name it ;n;)
Blastoise: Ood (Kinda random... Whatever...)
Yveltal: Paradox (If you saw the episode you would get it)
Tyrantrum: Slyveen (Also random, probably spelled wrong...)
I also have a Grumpig named Lazlo but I don't use it. (Again, you would have to see the episode)

It is spelled Slitheen. :)

I went with a fruity theme:
Papaya the Chesnaught
Melon the female Meowstic
Lemon the Aegislash
Mango the Tyrantrum

I only had 4 Pokémon. :/

Whitefire said:
I usually come up with names on the spot, and sometimes I have to sit there for a few minutes before coming up with anything XD

Generally i name things that just sound nice and have no real meaning [iliosae the flygon from W2 for example], sometimes i wordmash [Oceasea the lugia from SS] or just take bits from their japanese name [Taj and Tajio from W and W2 respectively].

So I have no idea what i'm going to name my pokemon. ovo b

Delphox is close to Delphax, a type of fish i had for a decent time but the PH got too high and he died :c I might name him/her after the fish's latin name of some letters from it.

Fletching is the single most adorable bird <3 Maybe Fletch [oh how original] or Balista, which is apparently a crossbow or something, which is relative to arrows and was the name of one of my favorite cats who died too young :c runt of the litter </3

Pyroar i kinda wanna do the AHMAHGARSH IT'S MUFASA/SIMBA but naah. I named a luxray Zio [for Zion], so I might name this one after some other Biblical place thing XD or just Lion/Lio to make them rhyme.

Noivern will probably be some other crazy name like Iliosae was [Tenocr? meh] if i want to try following that thing with dragons.... no idea

Skrelp final [Dragalge thing?] might be Fume or Phume, possible Phumae just for the heck of it

Heliolisk ... maybe Dial or a warped spelling of it. Depends on when i get him U:

Goomy will be Squishy. And he will be mine. He will be my Squishy.

Delphox is Fazion [Delphox, Delphax, Faxion, Fazion]

Fletchling is Yakomi for my first catch, my second one was a male named Fletch

Litleo is Lia, because female

Noivern is Soni

Dragalge i got from a trade who didnt send a female even though we agreed on it, so i used it directly instead of breeding. It's just Dragalge.

Helioptile first catch was Dial, chosen from breeding is Dijitahl [get it, Digital? The cry?... ill be quiet now]

I caught a bunch of goomy and sligoo so i cant recall...

My team ended up being

Ryu the Greninja:
I pretty much had to do a ninja name after I saw Frogadier. I was like HOLY CRAP a ninja starter!

Caliburn the doublade:
Let's face it, the majority of the nicknamed honedge will probably be named Excalibur. I wanted something similar to it, while being unique, so I chose caliburn because of how awesome it sounds.

Ricochet the Hawlucha:
Named after the main character from Mucha Lucha, a hilarious old cartoon I used to love watching. Plus if you kinda think of it in some ways Hawlucha kinda resembles Ricochet's costume? I dunno, lol.

Syn the Charizard:
This was easy, I named this guy after Syn Shenron, or better known as Omega Shenron, from Dragon Ball. I thought the blue on mega charizard x kinda would make the name fitting. Lo and behold, Syn ended up being arguably my strongest party member, haha.

Lizz the Heliolisk:

Kind of an impromptu name. I initially hadn't planned on catching a helioptile, but I decided I should pick one up. I exhausted so many nicknames trying to get one with dry skin for like an hour (Especially helium. That would have been funny as heck). Eventually, Lizz just kinda stuck with me and she was probably my second strongest, thanks to amazing coverage.

Cleo the Meowstic:
This is similar to lizz. I caught a few female espurrs and gave them so many names that I would have loved. Paula, Roba, so many names I woulda loved. Eventually I caught cleo, who didn't have a -special attack nature, and I stuck with cleo because I thought it was fitting for a cat pokemon. She too was a strong member of my team with great coverage.

Harold the Xerneas:
It was getting to the point where I decided I needed something better than Caliburn, so I decided on Xerneas who I named Harold. Kind of an obscure reference, but in the Fallout series of games there was a ghoul (someone that's been mutated by radiation) named Harold. In the second game he had a sapling growing out of his head, and by Fallout 3 he was a full-on tree! Anyone who's played fallout 3 knows that this particular character has quite an interesting quest line, considering the atmosphere of the rest of the game. I though "Hmm, a legendary deer that looks like a tree." And so I remembered Harold, and the rest was history.

Current team:

Scarleticia, my female Delphox
-- She's the arrogant sorceress (despite having Modest nature xD). From the red robe and a little touch to create a pompous name.

Chrom, my male Lucario
-- Righteous fighter with strong sense of justice. Highly implied from FE:Awakening, since their image seems so similar to me, can't help to name it this xD

Ophelia, my female shiny Gardevoir
-- The psychic chic that turned into goth. No i'm not talking about Gothitelle, if you know the Mega form of shiny Gardevoir, you will know why. Apparently she played around too much with Gothitelle.

Oberon, my male shiny Togekiss
-- The king of fairies with golden color.

Noir, my female Absol
-- The femme-fatale with critical assassination technique.

Glaucus, my male Goodra
-- The friendly dragon with sticky mucus body. The name suddenly comes to mind.

Triton, my male shiny Clawitzer
-- This cannon lobster gain a spot in my team after the absence of Milotic. The deity of the seas.

I'm naming all of my mega Pokemon after gods, as their power is indeed godly. So far I have:
Dionysus, my male Gardevoir.
Dionysus was the androgynous male god of the Greeks, noted for his flowing dresses and delicate body. Associated with madness and prophecy, he is a perfect avatar for the future gazing, psychic-striking Gardevoir.

Shiva, my Speed-boost Blaziken
The dancing Hindu god of destruction, there will be nothing when Shiva awakens. Given mega Blaziken's speed and power, the name should not come as a surprise. He is indeed the Destroyer.
That's all I have for now, as I'm still working on breeding up a real team.

So far the only nickname I plan to use is either Devilendra/or Demonyxia with the former being the name of a original character I created and fully own, whereas the second name is just a alternate one for the same character. As for the Pokémon I tend to use this name on, there is none more fitting than Hydreigon itself, as a female gendered one of course, as both entities are hydras, and both are Dark alligned as well.

My team's nicks depend on the theme that I'm feeling when I start a new game, and this one's Latin (via Google translate... :))! My team atm is:
  1. Pikachu (female): Fulgur Murem -> Lightning Mouse (just from the description really... but it fits her perfectly)
  2. Talonflame (female): Talonflame (she was traded to me, but would probably been called Avis Ignem -> Fire Bird)
  3. Fennekin (male): Flamma Mense -> Flame Mind (Just fits him perfectly although he was almost Ardenti Mens -> Burning Mind)
  4. Stunfisk (male): Maggyo (in Katakana, another trade, but would probably be called Duro Rhombus -> Hard Turbot (hard from the pokédex entry, turbot because it's a flat fish... :)))
  5. Klefki (female): Kureffi (Katakana again... Her name would have been Anima Claves -> Soul Keys... just because... )
  6. Lucario (male): Canis Pugnam -> Dog Fight :D

That's my team atm (subject to change). Some other highlights are:
  • Gardevoir: Sensus Fatum -> Sense of Fate (She just felt like one who would know both her fate and that of others around her)
  • Scatterbug: TineaViridis -> Green Moth (My Vivillon is in the Garden form)
  • Panpour: Aqua Simia -> Water Monkey (Imaginative...)
  • Honedge: Umbra Ensis -> Shadow Blade ('nuff said...)
  • Zubat: Mus Volantis -> Flying Mouse (it's a bat... :p)
    And probably the saddest of them all:
  • Cubone: Solus Mortem -> Death Alone (Sad, but it fits!)

So yeah! Previous games I've gone with a mashup of the japenese evolution line names, random people I know and just mashing the keyboard until it looks good!

I usually pick some sort of theme. In BW, I had recently bought a fiction writer's, "Book of Poisions," so I named all of my team members after poisonous flowers, herbs, chemicals, etc. I can't remember who was what off hand, but I know I used Dahlia, Nighshade, Cyanide (this was Cyndaquil's name), and a few others. Then in BW2 I used the names of my favorite characters from the Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson.

As for X and Y, on my current playthrough of X I used a theme of kinds of tea . . . because I love tea. XD This is the breakdown of my team members and wannabe team members.
Fennekin: Lady Grey
Aegislash: Earl Grey
Goodra: Oolong
Trevenant: Chai
Arourus: Chamomile
Gengar: Yerba
Meowstic: Yunnan Jig
Xerneas: Darjeeling

I can't recall any more off the top of my head. When I do my playthrough of Y I think I may use a theme of alcohols, philosophers, classic literature writers, or famous historical figures. Yeah, I have a lot of ideas. It's really hard to choose. XD Even having a theme I frequently sit for fifteen minutes trying to figure out what name fits my pokemon best.

And, yes, I did soft reset to get a female Fennekin so I could name her Lady Grey. Lol. Now I need a shiny one because it would work even better!

I usually steal names from superheroes/villains or Transformers or the like. My first Delphox was named Heatwave, his daughter was FoxFire. My Lucario was Iron Fist. My Tyrunt/Tyrantrum is Grimlock.

At the moment, I'm training/breeding what I call the Anthro Assault Force.
Greninja, Lucario, Delphox, Emolga, Zoroark, and (Hawlucha or Pangoro or Blastoise).

(totally stole Ririka's formatting)

Oberon, the Sylveon
-- The king of fairies in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

K+CN-, the Scoliepde
-- The chemical symbol (with charges) of Potassium Cyanide. A common poison of centipedes.

Karliah, the Crobat
-- Named after a very swift, and deadly poison user from Skyrim. Not to mention they are both slightly purple. (Is that racist?)

Tiamat, the shiny Charizard
-- A Mesopotamian dragon of utter destruction. With nearly perfect IVs, this was perfect for him in Mega X form.

Koki, the Greninja
-- The Spanish onomatopoeia for croaking or for 'frog'.

Apollo, the Delphox
-- The God whose temple stood in Delphi, Greece

Akaicho, the Vivillon
-- Red butterfly in Japanese. Named in part by my favorite game of the Fatal Frame series.

Raffa, the Venusaur
-- Shortened form of Raflasia.

Janys, the Malamar
-- the two faced god.

Yorona, the Gardevoir
-- Hispanic/Latino boogy man, but female and beautiful. She cries and tries to lure children away to their deaths. The stories are so juxtaposed that it just made sense to me.

Hexcalibur, the Agislash
-- BECAUSE THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN IT'S ACTUAL NAME. *rages*

Back