Will Plasma Klinklang Make a Comeback?

thood

Konohagakure Shinobi
Phantom's Gate brings with it, a "Hyper Metal Chain Deck." From this deck, we can already see a Dialga EX and Aegislash EX (both have unconfirmed additional effects, and Aegislash has an Ability to boot). Even Skarmory EX could be a choice. I'm hoping Phantom's gate will bring some usable Metal types in the Meta, and if it does, I feel that Plasma Klang might just re-debut. Personally, I think Phantom's Gate will need to introduce a form of energy acceleration for Metal types though, but if they do, Plasma Klang will more than likely become a Tier 1 deck. It seems that these sets for XY are focusing on reviving/helping established arche-types from BW, which is fantastic in my opinion. I'm hoping this thread can get updated and receive helpful input as more information is revealed.
Plasma Kling is King!

Even at it's peak, when it had access to all of it's utility cards and techs, Plasma Klinklang was nowhere close to a tier 1 deck. It was pretty good in the right meta, but it was just too slow and clunky to be effective.

At this point, it's outclassed as a lock deck by Pyroar, and has the only real merit of having access to decent attackers. Yes, energy acceleration would help, but it certainly would not make the deck very good. Any deck nowadays with the space to beat (or even just not autolose) to Pyroar will not have much of a problem with Klinklang.

That said, there's nothing wrong with having access to some new attackers at one's disposal. Dialga-EX may finally give Klinklang a way for scoring OHKO's, which was the main reason the deck was slow in the late game. After Phantom Gate (and I should mention that I think we're getting WAY to ahead of ourselves talking about it just as Furious Fists is released), it might be a bit more playable. People will figure it out, and maybe it will win a City Championship (sorta like Klinklang/Aromatisse did this year), and it will in all likelihood go back to the obscurity in which it lies now.

Elbow said:
Tier 1? It has a major autoloss to pyroar!

I'm not seeing how it's an autoloss? Pyroar has a type advantage but that's it. Cobalion EX can Steel Bullet for 100 on Pyroar, slap a muscle band on and it's 120 for a KO. Not to mention, you can catcher the Littleo/Pyroar to active and KO before it can set up. This certainly isn't an autoloss, maybe a little unfavorable, but that's it

I've tried making Klinklang work this format but decks that run 2+ Pyroar smoke it. It's just a big problem. Catcher is flippy, you run at most two Lysandre (and I don't like that either) and the Weakness is just awful. Without Energy acceleration in Klinklang, you have a lot of problems. You take three turns to charge up Steel Bullet before getting one-shotted by another Pyroar, in which you have to find a way to stall before throwing in another Cobalion which takes another three turns. Laser is nice, but Switch and Blacksmith laugh at it. It's an uphill battle for Klinklang when Pyroar exists. Maybe in the Extended format where you at least have Shift Gear Klinklang to move Energy around would you have a chance.

thood said:
I'm not seeing how it's an autoloss? Pyroar has a type advantage but that's it. Cobalion EX can Steel Bullet for 100 on Pyroar, slap a muscle band on and it's 120 for a KO. Not to mention, you can catcher the Littleo/Pyroar to active and KO before it can set up. This certainly isn't an autoloss, maybe a little unfavorable, but that's it

Pyroar can 1hit KO Cobalion EX for 3 energy (2 if DCE), where as Cobalion EX needs 3 energy AND Muscle band to 1hit KO. It's much more than just "a little unfavorable". There is a VERY slim chance that you'll be able to set up faster than a Pyroar deck that has Blacksmith and DCE. If Steel type doesn't get some sort of energy acceleration (which I honestly doubt it will) this type of deck has a very bad chance at making in big in the current format. Even with it, it'll have a tough time.

I'm with Thood on this one. Plasma klinklang is a good support pokemon and if steel gets some sort of energy acceleration it will be very tough to beat even when playing against pyroar. Pyroar usually won't be able to attack Aeglilash EX because you usually have a DCE on a Pyroar. One card that could be used to accelerate Energy would be Landorous from Furious Fist by using ultra ball or Junipering away steel energy.

Ironman131 said:
I'm with Thood on this one. Plasma klinklang is a good support pokemon and if steel gets some sort of energy acceleration it will be very tough to beat even when playing against pyroar. Pyroar usually won't be able to attack Aeglilash EX because you usually have a DCE on a Pyroar. One card that could be used to accelerate Energy would be Landorous from Furious Fist by using ultra ball or Junipering away steel energy.

Aegislash won't be able to attack either, so nothing would get done besides your opponent setting up what ever he's playing with the Pyroar (probably another Fire type like Charizard EX). Plus, if the Pyroar attacks and decides to discards the DCE, then attaches a Fire energy, Aegislash is done by the second turn it's out in the active spot. The only Steel type that sorta touches Pyroar is Cobalion EX, and as I said in my last post, it takes awhile to set up Cobalion to do so (in most cases Pyroar will be ready before you). Overall, Pyroar decks in the current format obliterate Klinklang decks (besides on rare occasions).

Ironman131 said:
The phantum gate set will most likley bring more steel attackers and pokemon that can attack Pyroar.

I said current format, so until we see those cards, Pyroar beats Klinklang decks. Plus it's a pretty huge assumption to say that the next set will have good Steel type attackers and a Pyroar counter when the only reason we have the 2 Steel EX's is because of a theme deck in Japan. The 2 Mega's in the next set are Mega Manetric and Mega Gengar, so odds are we'll get a lot of good Electric and Psychic type Pokemon/boosts, not Steel.

Foretress can do some good damage to pyraor. Beartic from Furious Fist seems to be made to be the counter to pyroar and can be easily put into any deck because of the colorless attack requirments.

Ironman131 said:
Foretress can do some good damage to pyraor. Beartic from Furious Fist seems to be made to be the counter to pyroar and can be easily put into any deck because of the colorless attack requirments.

Pyroar 1hit KO's Foretress, and Foretress 2hit KO's and needs to evolve. Beartic is a pretty good counter for Pyroar tho, but with Lydandre and what ever else is ran in the foes Pyroar deck (which can vary from Charizard EX to something like Mega Kanga) it's hard to say how the match would go. Beartic definitely gives the deck a bigger chance against Pyroar decks tho.

Just so future posts understand, I am talking about Klinklang's succes in the future after the release of Phatom's Gate, not now. I realize the Klinklang is nothing special in this current Meta, but as time goes on, and more of Phantom's Gate is revealed, I want to update this thread with deck possibilities for Klinklang, seeing that Metal types will be one of the major types in the set.

Metal being a major type of phantom gate?
Its clearly psychic pokemon, maybe dark too.
Just because metal exs are in the set doesn't mean anything. If there was a mega metal ex (like mawhile) then I'd be inclined to say that there'd be some metal support. Like in FUF there was fighting and grad megas and fighting and grass special energies. And even so, like mega kanghaskhan, it could just be there to fill in a spot.

I can't remember Plasmaklang ever being a Tier 1 deck. I think with Aegislash EX or Dialga EX(If we know what he does) he could be good as a tier 3 deck. He is a good card, but he doesn't have the support to help him. The only noteworthy Metal pokemon are both EX, and have a fire weakness which basically means Pyroar food.

How are people saying that Plasma Steel is not a high tier deck. It is the deck that won the biggest state tournament in the united states so obviously it was good and will be good again.

Ironman131 said:
How are people saying that Plasma Steel is not a high tier deck. It is the deck that won the biggest state tournament in the united states so obviously it was good and will be good again.

Just because a deck wins a big tournament doesn't mean it will be good in the future. Reshiboar has been in every format since HGSS-On, but it has never seen the presence it had during it's first format because the game changes a lot with each set.

And in the future with Phantom gate we will be getting more steel support. We are saying that the deck will be good again when we get phantom gate, but as of right now it is ok because fire pokemon are popular right now.

Ironman131 said:
We are saying that the deck will be good again when we get phantum gate, but as of right now it is ok because fire pokemon are popular right now.

This. Again, I realize that as of right now Klinklang is at best a Tier 3 deck. I am wondering if once Phantom's Gate is released, along with the Hyper Metal Chain Deck, will Klinklang make a comeback and actually see some usage again? I am predicting that, if the Set/Metal Chain Deck follow suit from what has been given so far by Dialga EX and Aegislash EX, that Klinklang will probably have some serious potential. If Phantom's Gate or the Hyper Metal Chain set (now being abbreviated as HMC Deck) releases any useful Metal cards, such as an energy accelerater, or even a good Stage 1 attacker, I think that Klinklang will rise significantly in popularity. I'm hoping that as more about this set is revelaed, we can add more to this thread to see which cards might be useful in a Klinklang deck.

As of now, you really don't have any metal support even in BW-On. Without energy acceleration opposed to fire energy acceleration Klinklang will not be tier one for awhile, let alone tier 2 or 3. In addition, with all metal weak to fire (besides Lucario PLS), metal decks just wont stand a chance in this format. There's have to be a no weakness stadium or a way to get 3 energy into play by turn 2 to make metal at most tier 2.
But, with the whole set being psychic, I could see a no weakness stadium coming out in the future.

Back