RSE/FRLG Why was LeafGreen made instead of WhateverBlue?

Ohman177

Aspiring Trainer
Can someone explain to me why they made Firered and Leafgreen for national release instead of doing Firered and WhateverBlue? I don't get why they didn't use blue, the one we actual got, for the remake and instead went with green (the one only Japan got). It sort of defeats the purpose of calling it a remake.
Also, does anyone know if firered and leafgreen had stuff from Yellow in them? If so, seeing as they also had stuff from crystal in heartgold and soulsilver, why wouldnt they do remakes of RS and include emerald stuff?

RE: 3rd Generation Remake Question

As you're probably aware, the first Pokemon games were Red and Green, with its mascots being Charizard and Venusaur. Later, Japan got a Blue version (mascot Blastoise), being much the same as R/G but fixing a lot of things, including completely changing the sprites. The Red and Blue we got was the Japanese Blue, plus an upgraded Red.

But that's not the point. The first games were Red and Green, not Red and Blue. We follow Japan, not the other way around.

Also, does anyone know if firered and leafgreen had stuff from Yellow in them?
They do not.

DNA said:
As you're probably aware, the first Pokemon games were Red and Green, with its mascots being Charizard and Venusaur. Later, Japan got a Blue version (mascot Blastoise), being much the same as R/G but fixing a lot of things, including completely changing the sprites. The Red and Blue we got was the Japanese Blue, plus an upgraded Red.

But that's not the point. The first games were Red and Green, not Red and Blue. We follow Japan, not the other way around.

Also, does anyone know if firered and leafgreen had stuff from Yellow in them?
They do not.

But it still left no remakes of blue, the one we originally got.

They also remade those games on the GBA because they used to have a save battery which died after so many times of saving the game and after so many times you would have to buy a new battery. That was the same reason for gen 2. The reason why they did not remake the gen 3 games was because they added gen 3 stuff to HG/SS and to the gen 4 and 5 games as well. Since the gen 3 games were already on the same level as the GBA there was no need to remake the gen 3 games. If they were going to remake the gen 3 games they would have done it right after the release of B/W2. and we would not be heading into gen 6 yet. IMO. They are moving on to quickly and shutting down the DW to quickly since B/W2 has not been out for an entire year. They are moving way to fast. I don't have those yet and they are shutting down the DW? That does not make a whole lot of sense but ok.:)

xxashxx said:
The reason why they did not remake the gen 3 games was because they added gen 3 stuff to HG/SS and to the gen 4 and 5 games as well.

I fail to see the logic here. So just because you can catch all of the 3rd gen Pokemon in the 4th and 5th gen games, 3rd gen shouldn't get remade? Despite the fact that 3rd gen takes place in a completely different region with different characters and a different storyline?

Also, that didn't stop them from remaking GSC 4th gen, between FRLG, Emerald, Colosseum, XD, and DPPt, you could catch every 2nd gen Pokemon twice over.

xxashxx said:
Since the gen 3 games were already on the same level as the GBA there was no need to remake the gen 3 games. If they were going to remake the gen 3 games they would have done it right after the release of B/W2. and we would not be heading into gen 6 yet. IMO. They are moving on to quickly and shutting down the DW to quickly since B/W2 has not been out for an entire year. They are moving way to fast. I don't have those yet and they are shutting down the DW? That does not make a whole lot of sense but ok.:)

It makes perfect sense, the 3DS has been around for 2 years and needs a main series Pokemon game right about now. The only way they can feasibly do that is with a new generation, hence XY was released earlier than usual. On the contrary, the perfect time to release RS remakes would be after XY, I'm thinking maybe late 2014-earlier 2015ish.

The reason I didn't mention that is because it isn't actually relevant to the question at all.

DNA said:
The reason I didn't mention that is because it isn't actually relevant to the question at all.

Yes it is... Read my OP. My main reason for this was to find out why they didn't make one for Blue. It got answered, but you're incorrect saying it wasn't related.

Bolt the Cat said:
xxashxx said:
The reason why they did not remake the gen 3 games was because they added gen 3 stuff to HG/SS and to the gen 4 and 5 games as well.

I fail to see the logic here. So just because you can catch all of the 3rd gen Pokemon in the 4th and 5th gen games, 3rd gen shouldn't get remade? Despite the fact that 3rd gen takes place in a completely different region with different characters and a different storyline?

Also, that didn't stop them from remaking GSC 4th gen, between FRLG, Emerald, Colosseum, XD, and DPPt, you could catch every 2nd gen Pokemon twice over.

xxashxx said:
Since the gen 3 games were already on the same level as the GBA there was no need to remake the gen 3 games. If they were going to remake the gen 3 games they would have done it right after the release of B/W2. and we would not be heading into gen 6 yet. IMO. They are moving on to quickly and shutting down the DW to quickly since B/W2 has not been out for an entire year. They are moving way to fast. I don't have those yet and they are shutting down the DW? That does not make a whole lot of sense but ok.:)

It makes perfect sense, the 3DS has been around for 2 years and needs a main series Pokemon game right about now. The only way they can feasibly do that is with a new generation, hence XY was released earlier than usual. On the contrary, the perfect time to release RS remakes would be after XY, I'm thinking maybe late 2014-earlier 2015ish.

It makes sense because the migrating process from 3rd gen to 4th gen allows you to obtain most of the Pokemon. If you have most of the games you can get them pretty quick but it does take awhile though if you don't have HG/SS.

Also the 3DSXL has only been out for 3 months or so now. This would be the time to do tne R/S remakes since they are shutting down the DW. This is a bad time to shut it down because it has most of the 3rd gen small Pokemon im the DW. If they shut it down and tney discontinue the DSL none can get 3rd gen Pokemon XD.:)

xxashxx said:
It makes sense because the migrating process from 3rd gen to 4th gen allows you to obtain most of the Pokemon. If you have most of the games you can get them pretty quick but it does take awhile though if you don't have HG/SS.

Also the 3DSXL has only been out for 3 months or so noe. This would be the time to do tne R/S remakes since they are shutting down tne DW. This is a bad time to shut it down because it has most of the 3rd gen small Pokemon im the DW. If they shut it down and tney discontinue the DSL none can get 3rd gen Pokemon XD.:)

They typically try and make every Pokemon catchable by the end of the generation (5th gen couldn't pull that off because it was cut short), so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're worried about Pokedex completion for 5th gen. So if XY come out and we notice that a large number of 3rd gen and 1st and 2nd gen Hoenn Dex Pokemon uncatchable, that could be a red flag that RS are being remade.

Yes it is... Read my OP. My main reason for this was to find out why they didn't make one for Blue. It got answered, but you're incorrect saying it wasn't related.
You're over-thinking it a bit. The original games were Red and Green, not Red and Blue, so therefore the remakes would be FireRed and LeafGreen, not FireRed and AquaBlue.
Pokemon releases weren't really standardized and synched up with each other in the 1st gen, hence why we never got the lower-quality original Red and Green games over here, but rather a re-done Red and Green, with the same version-exclusives but having Blue's engine.

After that, everything has matched up since. It wouldn't make sense for us to get a remake of Blue when it wasn't actually the original.

DNA said:
You're over-thinking it a bit. The original games were Red and Green, not Red and Blue, so therefore the remakes would be FireRed and LeafGreen, not FireRed and AquaBlue.
Pokemon releases weren't really standardized and synched up with each other in the 1st gen, hence why we never got the lower-quality original Red and Green games over here, but rather a re-done Red and Green, with the same version-exclusives but having Blue's engine.

After that, everything has matched up since. It wouldn't make sense for us to get a remake of Blue when it wasn't actually the original.

But what I'm saying is we originally got red and blue copies. We being international. Then we got firered and leafgreen instead of firered and aquablue which is what I thought didn't make sense. Anyway, my question was answered by Salamencetrainer34.

Bolt the Cat said:
xxashxx said:

Also the 3DSXL has only been out for 3 months or so noe. This would be the time to do tne R/S remakes since they are shutting down tne DW. This is a bad time to shut it down because it has most of the 3rd gen small Pokemon im the DW. If they shut it down and tney discontinue the DSL none can get 3rd gen Pokemon XD.:)

They typically try and make every Pokemon catchable by the end of the generation (5th gen couldn't pull that off because it was cut short), so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're worried about Pokedex completion for 5th gen. So if XY come out and we notice that a large number of 3rd gen and 1st and 2nd gen Hoenn Dex Pokemon uncatchable, that could be a red flag that RS are being remade.

Looks like 3rd gen games will not be remade because in X & Y they are making unseeable available on the GTS. Not sure if you saw the news yet but that is what they are doing. That just shot down any chance of those remakes XD.:)

xxashxx said:
Looks like 3rd gen games will not be remade because in X & Y they are making unseeable available on the GTS. Not sure if you saw the news yet but that is what they are doing. That just shot down any chance of those remakes XD.:)

And why does any of that make any difference? We still don't know what kinds of Pokemon will be catchable in XY, what kinds of Pokemon will be catchable in the 6th gen DW, or even if we can transfer Pokemon from 5th gen to 6th gen. So we have no idea whether or not many of the Hoenn Dex Pokemon will be catchable in XY. And even if they were, that still doesn't disprove RS remakes. You could catch nearly every Pokemon in DPPt and they still remade HGSS, so the Pokedex isn't that much of an issue.

I thought I answered it. Junichi Masuda said he wanted it to be leafgreen and leaf is a symbol of peace, opposed to having the Aquablue conflicting with FireRed.

Yeah you answered that right. What I am trying to say to Bolt the Cat is there is no need for R/S remakes. Today's news explains that not seen Pokemon will be available on the GTS. That means that all the Pokemon on the GTS whether if you have seen it or not will be available. The reason why FR/LG and HG/SS were made is because of the saving issue and by the time the 3rd gen games came out they already had that part fixed. Red and Blue and G/S/C had save batteries which died after so many saves and once they died the files were lost but playable as long as you did not turn off your Game Boy. The other reason why they remade FR/LG was because we never got the Green version like Japan did which I understand was a very tough game compared to their Red our Red and Blue versions. The battery was fixed for R/S/E by the time they came out so there is no need for a 3rd gen remake. Migrating will most likely be like they did for 4th gen over to 5th gen and the transfer machine. If they make all the Pokemon available on the GTS they might even scrap the migrating process. If that happens I might have to figure out a way to migrate or transfer my 5th gen team over to gen 6 XD.:)

They don't remake games for unattainable Pokemon, especially considering the number of non-sinnoh Pokemon you can get in D/P/Pt, yet we still got g2 remakes.

They remake gens primarily as fillers between generations.

xxashxx said:
That means that all the Pokemon on the GTS whether if you have seen it or not will be available.

And what if they fail to make XY compatible with 5th gen? Then the only Pokemon you could get on the GTS are the ones that are made available in XY.

xxashxx said:
The other reason why they remade FR/LG was because we never got the Green version like Japan did which I understand was a very tough game compared to their Red our Red and Blue versions.

We never got any of the features from Green in FRLG, they were essentially remaking the American Red and Blue versions.

xxashxx said:
Migrating will most likely be like they did for 4th gen over to 5th gen and the transfer machine. If they make all the Pokemon available on the GTS they might even scrap the migrating process. If that happens I might have to figure out a way to migrate or transfer my 5th gen team over to gen 6 XD.:)

How many times do I have to bring up the fact that HGSS were remade regardless of the fact that all of the past gen Pokemon could be migrated to DPPt?

Don't worry I have ways to get my Pokemon off gen 5. I know quite a few people not on these boards that can do it XD.:) Yeah I knew about the migrating in the 3rd & 4th gen games. I have not forgotten Don't worry man. They made HG/SS for the save battery issue and because it was and era that fans loved. I never got the chance to play the original versions. They also remade those for a new era of Pokemon. Come to think of it we are now in a new era so there is a small possibility for 3rd gen games. Hit my self on the head and says oh yeah duh. LOLz.:)

Back