Pokemon Why Do People Think Pokémon is Evil?

Even if the main post link was a joke... there are still things like this and this.

And even if those are trolls too (the first one is questionable), I know this stuff happens and its crazy. I have a friend actually whose parents banned him from Pokemon when he was younger. Part of it though was because it was all he would ever talk about and they thought he obsessed over it too much, but the deciding line was "God spoke to me and said Satan is taking you away from me."

He started playing it again, but for a while he had to hide the games and anything he had with Pokemons name on it. Only recently he was able to play it around his parents, as long as he doesnt appear "obsessed" with it to them.

Even my own dad thought it was a bad influence for a while. When I was around 5, he did all kinds of "research" on the show and determined that its about "kids who run away from home and are left unattended to control monsters."
.... that is kinda true, but this isnt our world were talking about anyway.

And as a side off-topic note, I knew one kid whose grandfather flicked holy water on him for listening to Greenday.

I say just give it a couple of years and the crazy old people will eventually be weeded out (no offense.)

My parents did not let me play Pokemon as a kid but I got into it in highschool and even more so in college. As a result I was a Digimon kid which is kind of ironic since that show's themes were way darker than the Pokemon series. Now I can't get enough of Pokemon and my parents now view Pokemon as cute and harmless. I get my little siblings Pokemon games and plushies whenever I can so they don't miss out on what I did.

One of my favorite moments from Pokemon was when I watched my little sister attempt to beat the elite 4 in Pearl. She was around 6 or 7 at the time and I had to convince her that using potions was not cheating since the elite 4 members were using them as well. She finally defeated the elite 4 and saw her Pokemon enter the hall of fame.

One of her favorite Pokemon at the time was Swellow. At the beginning of her play through I remember saying that she could use better Pokemon than him but she insisted on keeping him and nicknamed him "Cutie Pie". When she saw him enter the hall of fame she exclaimed "Yeah! I knew you could do it Cute Pie!" She taught me a lesson about persistence.

I never understood why people try to find evil in popular things. Maybe they just have too much time on their hands. Take the "Monster is the energy drink of Satan!" lady for example.

Zielo said:
[...]
Part of it though was because it was all he would ever talk about and they thought he obsessed over it too much, but the deciding line was "God spoke to me and said Satan is taking you away from me."
[...]

As a Christian I'm not going to deny that the Devil can use a lot of things to lead you off the straight-and-narrow (or, alternatively, if you focus too much on something that'll happen all by itself :p), but um... I think the old-fashioned voice-from-heaven has only legitimately happened once or twice over the past thousand years or so. So that's kinda freaky. Especially since she said me and not Him. Aren't we more concerned about the kid's relationship to God?

...Anyway, it's sad that people will become paranoid about so many things, but Pokemon doesn't seem to do a very good job of protecting itself. For instance, Giratina is potentially the single most questionable character in the franchise (aside from that guy outside Erika's gym, I guess? xD)... though I'm told the Japanese generally view Western religion as we generally view Eastern religion - that is, as myth. Consequently they wouldn't see anything weird in basing a Pokemon off the origin of all evil. ...Except that is kinda weird. What the heck, Game Freak?

Gentlefish said:
...Anyway, it's sad that people will become paranoid about so many things, but Pokemon doesn't seem to do a very good job of protecting itself. For instance, Giratina is potentially the single most questionable character in the franchise (aside from that guy outside Erika's gym, I guess? xD)... though I'm told the Japanese generally view Western religion as we generally view Eastern religion - that is, as myth. Consequently they wouldn't see anything weird in basing a Pokemon off the origin of all evil. ...Except that is kinda weird. What the heck, Game Freak?

Pokemon doesn't do a good job of protecting itself? Let's see... We're talking about a series whose anime is among the less serious anime in existence; no death, no sexual references, nothing more serious than "Let's be friends!" and where evil is most of the time based off a bunch of two incompetent people and a talking cat. Yeah, I can definitely see it oozing evil. The Devil must truly be even more hideous and sneaky than people say to pass evil through that.
The darkest themes about Pokemon are in the manga, but the majority of people who consider Pokemon evil don't even know of the existence of the manga or its existence is about the only thing they know about it, so I won't bother going into it.
As for the games, well, yes, some Pokemon are a bit questionable. OK, so the origin behind Giratina's story is Satan. Weird enough, I'll admit, but that's more funny than actually bad. I mean, I can use a stupid enlarging ball of multiple colors to capture Beelzebulb himself and use his powers or have him die for my amusement without so much as a single contract anywhere concerning my soul. That's quite cool, if I may say so myself.
Really, the most questionable thing about Pokemon is that you beat other people up and take their money.

Chaos Jackal said:
Pokemon doesn't do a good job of protecting itself? Let's see... We're talking about a series whose anime is among the less serious anime in existence; no death, no sexual references, nothing more serious than "Let's be friends!" and where evil is most of the time based off a bunch of two incompetent people and a talking cat. Yeah, I can definitely see it oozing evil. The Devil must truly be even more hideous and sneaky than people say to pass evil through that.

Okay, okay, sorry. You're right; I was thinking about the games specifically, and with a rather narrow focus at that. xD

Chaos Jackal said:
As for the games, well, yes, some Pokemon are a bit questionable. OK, so the origin behind Giratina's story is Satan. Weird enough, I'll admit, but that's more funny than actually bad. I mean, I can use a stupid enlarging ball of multiple colors to capture Beelzebulb himself and use his powers or have him die for my amusement without so much as a single contract anywhere concerning my soul. That's quite cool, if I may say so myself.
Really, the most questionable thing about Pokemon is that you beat other people up and take their money.

Heh... it is pretty funny when you think about it. I always found the 666 motif and whatnot kind of unsettling, though... even if I do like Giratina a lot. I have fond memories of taking my Giratina to Stark Mountain and grinding forever to get it to level 100 (I actually only got it to 96 or so; it hit 100 in later games). But still, couldn't we argue that the entire scenario trivializes something that shouldn't be taken lightly? It's a bit of a gray area, for sure...
I've never quite understood that whole thing about "beating people up and taking their money". It always seemed like it was an established rule that if you lose, you pay up - Trainers who do nothing but challenge Gyms need to support themselves, right? :p But then you realize that's a really risky and questionable form of capitalism, and it gets weird in a completely different way.

I've stayed away from this thread for a while, since most of the PokeBeach-ians don't appreciate my opinions on deeper matters (WPM probably still hates me for the whole Slurpuff/Trevenant Blister issue). But here are my thoughts on a few things Game Freak could have done differently to prevent so many Christians and Parents from getting so up in arms against Pokemon as a whole...

-The name. Yea, Pocket Monster's isn't too bad, since the term Monster was usually comparable to more goofy, yet unrealistic creatures. Pokemon isn't an awful name, but a lot of people I know think it means 'Pocket Demon'. It has been confirmed to just be an abbreviation of Pocket Monsters, though.

-Evolving. This on it's own is a pretty sensitive subject, and what most people get upset about Pokemon for. However, in Pokemon, evolution is usually used in the form of a sudden change, rather than a gradual change. For example, most cases of evolution, how Apes became Human's, are usually on the subject of gradual progression, while Pokemon evolution all occurs in the life cycle of a single specimen, and usually is done in a fashion that requires outward help, like Stones or Trading. If this was named something more generic, like Metamorphosis or Forms, it would be a lot less of an issue. Like, things like the Poliwag line and pretty much all of the regional Bugs are good examples. Besides, the anime constantly refers to evolved Pokemon as 'evolved forms', so calling it a Form Change wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

-And last, the Psychic Type. In the Bible, Psychic's are specified as receiving their power from Satan. I don't feel like this was a very good choice to name the Type, especially since Glitches caused Pokemon like Kadabra, Alakazam, and Mewtwo to be some of the strongest Pokemon in the game. Besides, a few Psychic Types aren't even really on par with the form of most Psychic relation, like Reuniclus, which is based off of Self-reproducing Molecules. I mean, come on. The Alakazam line and Hypno line were really the only lines in the Generation 1 games that even really had much relation to Psychic's in general. Would you classify Exeggutor, Slowbro, or Mr. Mime as Psychic? This type personally should have been called something like 'Mental', 'Mind', 'Force', or even 'Magic' or 'Illusion' would have been better choices! When I play the TCG, I usually refer to the P Type as Ghost when around my family to avoid any personal controversy.

Again, this is my opinion, so if you don't like my thoughts, just let me know.

It is what you want it to be. Pokemon is an RPG after all, whether you want it to be dark, adorable, or whatever, is entirely your imagination and point of view.

As a christian myself, the primary issue from what I heard is the addicting aspect of the fanchise.. or in clearer terms, how involved we get in the games compared to other things. While that wouldn't even seem to be problematic at all given other fanchises like MLP and minecraft have similar if not more involvement, parents felt like we were being sucked into some kind of fantasy world which did nothing but educated us about evolution. (which is a big no no in the christian religion apparently..)

Plus all the controversal theories out there, some we even made up, as well as controversal anime episodes and early renders such as jinx don't help either just giving people a "root to grow hate off of"

It's all entirely personal bias... while I can see some of the points, I don't believe any of them are harmful in the slightest because it's not how I see the fanchise or fantasize it myself. Even star wars is said to be evil by the same sources.. that luke and the emperor represent Jesus and the Devil. L.o.L.

Inreguards to the closest thing being satanic to me.. meh, houndoom is probably it. The new hoopa form doesn't seem right to me either. I never even thought of giratina that way as mentioned aboved.

Some people were taught to blow everything out of proportion. You can read too much into anything. There are people that are so scared of the world around them they have to freak out at others so that they can have one big freak out party together and not feel crazy. This is what frustrates me about a lot of people out there. You can be scared of Monster energy drinks, Pokemon, GMO's, Homosexuals, Taco Bell, Harry Potter, Clowns, The Tea Party, whatever. Don't take part in it if you don't like it. You can have an opinion, but some people go way too far and shove it in people's faces day in and day out. They force it on their friends and family. You vote with your money, your time, and your ballot. Keep your belief but don't dictate others!

This site is satirical, and there have been others like it before. However, there are some legit cases where somebody's mother probably surrounds the house in salt and prays for forgiveness if someone wearing a Gryffindor scarf or a Pokemon shirt entered their house. Seriously, DO NOT become someone afraid of silly things. Live and let live!

As SR said, there are "reasons" to think everything is evil. If you exaggerate things enough you can get evil out of a puppy. Happens not only with Pokemon, but with numerous other games, series, franchises, movies, food, drink, clothes and who knows what else. We live in an evil world.

Chaos Jackal said:
As SR said, there are "reasons" to think everything is evil. If you exaggerate things enough you can get evil out of a puppy. Happens not only with Pokemon, but with numerous other games, series, franchises, movies, food, drink, clothes and who knows what else. We live in an evil world.

So true. Just recently, I heard a YouTube commenter say that Nintendo is tied to Illuminati. What a buch of baloney.

That said, though, I still have a bit more to say on Pokemon's behalf.

-A few of you have said that the Pokemon franchise is void of sexualization. While I don't think that the way it portrays Women is bad, there still are a few suggestive characters here and there. Not counting Anime characters (Prima comes to mind), Misty, Flannery, Gardenia, Elesa, Skyla, , and Shelly (ORAS) are all females that had more suggestive designs. Don't even get me started on other forms of the Pokemon media, either. There is the infamous Electric Tale of Pikachu manga, goodness.

-It is also worth mentioning some Pokemon themselves. Arceus is one I always hated, as it is a blatant religious figure. I mean, it's Pokedex entries constantly specify that it created the Pokemon Universe. He also ties with Deoxys for being the only Pokemon to get a TCG set named after itself. Others that come to mind are Jynx, which is based off of a fashion trend in Japan called Ganguro, which is connected to the Blackface issues. Giratina is a lot like Satan, but way too many people have already mentioned that. The Fossil Pokemon aren't as bad, but the official Pokemon canon does specify that the franchise takes place in a world that has existed for millions of years.

Now, I don't mind the content in Pokemon as a whole. The Psychic issue I ignore for the most part, and the animal abuse is pretty much non-existent, especially since the Anime constantly re-affirms that Trainers and Pokemon share a sort-of friendship. Though, being a Christian, I do feel that there are a few things here and there about Pokemon that were unneccesary. Arceus is my least favorite Pokemon of all time, and I feel that it was an overall really bad idea for Game Freak to make that kind of Pokemon, especially after the huge amount of backlash the franchise received upon release.

Well imo there is absolutely nothing wrong with anything you listed in your post. Pokémon is an incredible franchise because it covers so many topics on so many different levels. Take, for example, Ninetales. To a child Ninetales is just a cute fox, but to an older player, Ninetales is the embodiment of many different Japanese legends surrounding foxes. Remember the second episode in Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies? There was a hell of a lot of legends surrounding Japanese folklore there, and one of the main monsters was practically Ninetales. That's just one example of a mythical Pokémon, with others such as Mawile being a Yoko-Onna etc..

That's just one example. In fact, Pokémon is very stereotypical depending on how you look at it. Delcatty, for example, represents a very rich, almost spoilt Pokémon, and it's a cat, an animal stereo typically owned by socialites and the like. Jynx is just another example of this. In fact, Jynx represents two things primarily. One of which is, like you mentioned, ganguro is more a lifestyle choice than just dressing up, so Mr. Mime is just as bad as Jynx (and it has to be said there have been many complaints about Mr. Mime promoting homosexuality among the youth (although a homophobic's POV is invalid in my eyes anyway)) because Mr. Mime is a mime. And even then, while ganguro may be a part of her design, the main basis for the design is actually the Nordic princess. What do ganguro or South Africa have to do with any other aspects of Jynx? An Ice-Type South African is an obvious contradiction, and fashion doesn't mean a lot for Ice- or Psychic-Types. Jynx is primarily based on a Nordic princess because of its Ice-Type. The blackened skin is there because Nordic legend states that a princess' skin turns black because of the cold. Furthermore, Jynx fulfills the stereotype of the "fat lady" in the opera with the large circles covering her breasts and long red dress, who are often depicted as vikings. Jynx is in no way an offensive design unless you happen to be terrified of fashion, operas and Nordic princesses, and the only wrong thing Game Freak has ever done concerning her is changing her primary skin colour from black to purple. The design worked better before the change.

Arceus is a myth. God is a myth. Religion is a myth. In Ancient Greece, Greek mythology was a real religion, but now it's just thought of as myth. Houndoom is just as much of a hellish figure as Giratina; both represent major figures of the underworld/Hell. In fact, this game is Japanese, where western religion is as much mythology as a legitimate belief system. I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone, and having faith and belief is an amazing thing to have, but if you take offense to a video game because of your faith it's taking things too far, and the amount of Christians who take offense to modern culture is so much more than any other religion or belief system, it actually puts a lot of people off that religion. My friend's Grandma refused to become a Christian until very late in her life because she thought they were all too paranoid about everything. While Pokémon was banned for a couple of years in strict Islam countries (what western culture isn't though) that is the only complaint about the games from a religious standpoint from anything other than Christianity. Arceus is a perfect example of this, and the fact that because he is the creator he must be God is actually a fallacious argument. How is the Christian God depicted as any creature which is a part of Arceus' design? It has aspects of a horse and a bull for its animal counterparts, but also has many aspects of the Pangu (Chinese creation deity) Kunitokotachi and Amenominakanushi who summon Izanami and Izanagi to create Japan. His Normal-Type form is also pretty reminiscent of Avalokitesvara (note that there is an acute accent over the "s", which I can't do) who is a Buddhist deity often pictured in a white, four-armed manifestation. Pokémon has such a rich culture and folklore in the games themselves that having a creator only makes sense, especially in Gen 4 which was by far the most folklore-driven generations. Sorry if this paragraph was a bit rambly and angry, but when people complain about something which they either know nothing or too little about it pisses me off, and Arceus is one of the main ones thrown at me (all of my Mum's family is mormon so I've had to repeat these kinda of things a lot of times. When you can say and spell Amenominakanushi and Avalokitesvara from memory with ease you've been saying the words far too much). Thankfully they've never forbade me from playing these games (because my parents themselves have common sense with this sort of thing) but they still give me grief over it.

Anyway, to conclude this rant a bit, people think that Pokémon is evil because they don't look into anything. They make basic assumptions based off of the simple parts of the games. Evolution is a part of the game, however it is not evolution over generations, it is through one life being. But most importantly, even though evolution is in this game, it is on fire-breathing lizards or hooded skulls. Most children, even those who believe against evolution, can make a discernible difference between a Bonsly and themselves. Or even a humane Pokémon like Munchlax! That's what really infuriated me about things like this. Give credit where credit's due...

I know that you don't believe in all these things, GadgetJax, but I just used the things you listed because they are the types of things which so many complaints have been about...

After seeing one of DidYouKnowGaming's videos on the Pokemon Controversy, I looked back at another detail that might have lead people to start the Christian riot against the series: The Pilot Episode of the Anime series.

Even though the Pokemon Anime constantly re-affirms 'friendship' between Trainers and Pokemon, the Pilot doesn't mention that kind of thing at all, aside from the Opening Sequence and the lyric; "Yeah, you're my best friend."

Other things to note is that Pikachu isn't thrilled to be with Ash in the least bit, at it almost seems at first to new viewers that Pokemon is more abusive towards creatures than you would think. It is also worth mentioning that Ash tries to capture a Flying Type (A Spearow if I recall) by throwing a rock at it, and says loudly at the end of the episode that he 'is going to catch all of the Pokemon'. Does he come even close? No. To this day, he still has only about 40 different evolution lines or so.

The pilot's controversy isn't a big issue if you look at the entire first season as a whole, but I can see why any parent who saw this became sceptical. I personally felt very uneasy when I saw it for the first time. Still, future episodes constantly re-affirm the Trainer/Pokemon bond. Some of these include:

-Brock taking time to give specialized Pokemon food to each of their Pokemon. I recall him making an individual recipe for each different species.

-Bye Bye, Butterfree. The ending makes it plainly obvious that Ash's Butterfree feels sad once he leaves.

I find your post, Celever, to be ignorant and inflammatory in it's own way, but whatever. I do agree with some of it's points though, mainly that Pokemon is only offensive to those that don't like/understand it. The only way to help this would be to make them understand, through explanation and demonstration. No need for you to stereotype Christians based off of your personal experiences though. I recognize that you state you don't mean to offend, when you call my beliefs a myth, but it still does. Instead of making blanket statements like that, you could probably preface them with something like "I believe that..." because otherwise, in spite of your intentions, it comes across as rude. All of that, is, of course, only if you truly don't mean to offend.

On another note, I found most of the articles posted on here to be ridiculous. This is hardly even a discussion, stupid people will be stupid until they are educated. If they don't want to be educated, then they will just keep being ignorant and we should ignore them. If any of you want to relate the beliefs of any of these people to the average Christian, then please contact me so I can explain to you why that's.... something I can't say here because it's a PG-13 forum : / which is also very disappointing.

Edit: Maybe not disappointing, but frustrating.

"How people throw around that word. Anything they can't explain or conquer is evil."
-Evanjalin, in Finnikin of the Rock

I'm also a Christian, and a lot of my friends aren't allowed to play or watch pokemon because their parents have convinced them it's called pocket demons. Of course most pokemon fans would know it is in fact shortened from pocket monsters. It is simply just a personal belief for them. I know I should respect their beliefs, just like I'd want them to respect mine, but I actually do have a hard time with that because pokemon is an innocent game/show/TCG for kids (and teens lol). Saying it is only the "extreme christians" who believe that isn't true, but it seems to be people who haven't even bothered to do research or discovered for themselves. I've done research about how pokemon is evil, and I've never found any true or hard points against pokemon. Other parents think pokemon is evil because their kids might get addicted to it. Well that obviously just depends on your kid and how you raise them. No, I'm not an adult... but I've done the research and stuff. Pokemon is my favorite game and I like the community, but that doesn't make me some random demonic. I'd even dare to say I'm a pretty good kid overall, all bias aside. So yeah. There are my thoughts. I really enjoyed reading your guys' thoughts too.

Back