Pokemon Why Do People Think Pokémon is Evil?

Queen Sylveon

夜明け前 吹き荒れた風は何の前触れ?
You may not believe it, but many people think Pokémon is evil. One article even says that Pokémon stands for "pocket demons" and tries to convince kids that they can become powerful. They say that Satoshi Tajiri one day summoned an evil demon to kill his family because they didn't buy him a wad of gum. Apparently the demon brought creatures with it that suffocated his family so he could steal their money and buy the gum. It's a similar story about these apparent "pocket demons".
Check out this ridiculous blog.
Why do people think so? What is your opinion? I created this thread for your opinion, and I hope I get it.
I think it's ridiculous. I want to put these people in jail. FOR LIFE.

largellama123

Aspiring Trainer
Queen Sylveon said:
You may not believe it, but many people think Pokémon is evil. One article even says that Pokémon stands for "pocket demons" and tries to convince kids that they can become powerful. They say that Satoshi Tajiri one day summoned an evil demon to kill his family because they didn't buy him a wad of gum. Apparently the demon brought creatures with it that suffocated his family so he could steal their money and buy the gum. It's a similar story about these apparent "pocket demons".
Why do people think so? What is your opinion? I created this thread for your opinion, and I hope I get it.

What the hell are these people saying? Pokemon is an innocent game for children...I find it so stupid when people try and make Pokemon seem demonic. Some dummy put up a video on YouTube and said that when you play the theme song backwards, you hear "All hail Satan." It's idiotic to try and make it seem dangerous,

News Alert, the blog is apparently a troll...the comments on the most recent post verify this. Nobody would be so stupid to believe this kind of garbage, so it's a troll trying to get us mad.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
it also started way back in 1999 when many Churches in the USA and UK i think were saying Pokemon was demonic and Satanic

CuriousCleffa

Aspiring Trainer
I know that the problem some really devout Christians, or just creationists in general, had with Pokemon was the fact that it kinda provided multiple cases of evolution, rather than their beliefs of creationism. However, I'm sure this argument has settled down.
Some people might think that Pokemon could be a possible, or just terrifying, form of alien invasion. (I honestly just thought of this and googled Pokemon and aliens and came up with this link about how Pokemon could be the scariest alien invasion so I'm not crazy for thinking of that right now x)
That's just what I've seen, and I'm pretty interested in seeing other reasons. Nice, interesting question here :)

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
I can't believe there are still people like that out there. There weren't many to begin with, and after so many years, you'd expect such stuff would have settled down.

By the way, that blog literally screams "troll".

professorlight

Ice Queen
CuriousCleffa said:
I know that the problem some really devout Christians, or just creationists in general, had with Pokemon was the fact that it kinda provided multiple cases of evolution, rather than their beliefs of creationism. However, I'm sure this argument has settled down.
Some people might think that Pokemon could be a possible, or just terrifying, form of alien invasion. (I honestly just thought of this and googled Pokemon and aliens and came up with this link about how Pokemon could be the scariest alien invasion so I'm not crazy for thinking of that right now x)
That's just what I've seen, and I'm pretty interested in seeing other reasons. Nice, interesting question here :)

In case you couldn't tell, that's satire, and one written by a member of pokebeach, at that.

And, that original blog is not even a troll, just a bad, obvious parody of fundamentalist people decrying pokemon as satanist or non-christian; I mean, even the disclaimer purporting to "explain" how the author came to know so much about pokemon, and the clarification that he burned his pokemon games afterwards hits poe's law in the face with a sledgehammer with its "subtlety".
For further evidence, look at the first post's date: 2010. A little late to jump on the pokemon satanism bandwagon, even for a "fundamentalist christian", isn't it?

But, people like that certainly exist, there is no doubt about it.

CuriousCleffa

Aspiring Trainer
professorlight said:
In case you couldn't tell, that's satire, and one written by a member of pokebeach, at that.

And, that original blog is not even a troll, just a bad, obvious parody of fundamentalist people decrying pokemon as satanist or non-christian; I mean, even the disclaimer purporting to "explain" how the author came to know so much about pokemon, and the clarification that he burned his pokemon games afterwards hits poe's law in the face with a sledgehammer with its "subtlety".
For further evidence, look at the first post's date: 2010. A little late to jump on the pokemon satanism bandwagon, even for a "fundamentalist christian", isn't it?

But, people like that certainly exist, there is no doubt about it.

I know that link was just for fun and not serious, but things like that can make other people think Pokemon is evil. Just depends on how that person thinks. I just thought it was a decent link to post, I didn't believe that the author was serious :p

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
That blog was a pretty bad troll. It wasn't really funny. :L Didn't even mention Jynx.

A lot of people don't like children to be taught about evolution to begin with, so that is my guess for the hate the series gets.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
My Mother didn't really like us to play it as a kid. Looking back, it was probably more the time and money we put into the series which bugged her.

The evolution aspect didn't even sway her opinion, and she was a devout Christian. She saw it as an easy way to teach about metamorphosis and used Caterpie to try and make us read up on butterflies haha.

J

Juliacoolo

There are extremists of just about every ideology and social more. The reason that Pokemon has received so much controversy, and so much attention over being "satanic" and "evil" is simply because it has gotten extremely popular. You'd see the same type of, and same amount of fuss over Digimon as well if it ever became as well known as Pokemon.

FoxFire

Fox Pokemon Rule!
Cynicism on.

Because people are looking for things that they don't like or understand as an excuse for the poor behavior of kids, instead of looking at themselves and their own poor behavior.

Cynicism off.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Although slightly off-topic, it is VERY interesting that Pokemon encourages teamwork and "Pokemon are friends and not tools", which naturally people do not understand. One of the DP anime theme songs is very nice but when people hear it is Pokemon... bye-bye.

ChiefLittleFish

Given Up on Collecting the TCG
I like how one of the THREE members of it is named Demon Dan the Devil Man. So I wonder about that site, who is satan to them?

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
This fits this conversation, but switching "violence" for "Pokémon."
If you think about it generally, it makes more sense.
http://virgooffrogs.deviantart.com/journal/Blaming-Games-as-the-Root-of-all-Violence-458880932

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Skyleaf2000 said:
This fits this conversation, but switching "violence" for "Pokémon."
If you think about it generally, it makes more sense.
http://virgooffrogs.deviantart.com/journal/Blaming-Games-as-the-Root-of-all-Violence-458880932

It does indeed. Anyway, Pokemon doesn't even look real compared to other games (mainly shooting) that the same parents would let the children play, that I wouldn't ever want to play!

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
Thankfully I live in a place where people don't view video game characters as evil and satanic.

Some people have weird beliefs xD

Raptor9229

Aspiring Dragon Trainer
Queen Sylveon said:

All the controversies surrounding it I guess?

Anyone remember the Burger King Pokeball recall? That is just one reason why some people think it is evil but one has to remember that it was a thirteen month old girl that suffocated to death because of a plastic pokeball toy . . . a toy that most likely was not meant for anyone under three years old.

Oh and lets not forget that Peta apparently thinks that having g rated blood knights battling each other is somehow animal cruelty nevermind that Oddish and other plant pokemon hardly count as animals in the first place or the fact that Pokemon seem to want you to catch them at times or just decide to randomly join your team for more battles. Never mind the fact that you are able to catch legendaries who could kill you without a second thought if they wanted to.

Lets not forget to mention the swastika on a pokemon card, the swastika is only on the Japanese version of the card but removed from international versions. Ironically a left facing swastika is a symbol of peace, guess who ruined that for everyone?

Yeah, people will jump all over anything.

Fun fact: Ray Bradbury's book Fahrenheit 451 is one of the most challenged books ever, never mind the irony of banning a book about book banning XD

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
I found something that totally debunks that Pokémon are evil!~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaNkN61Ogq0

Iblistech

Nintendo Direct Hype!
Good grief. Speaking of this cockamamie bullcrap, my love for Pokemon was tested at the first church I went to as a kid. Apparently my peers and teachers at the after school program for said church I was a part of said the exact same thing about the series in general. Of course I naturally disagreed, especially since I played the first 3 Gens whenever I had some free time at school (mostly on the last days of it anyway) either with my friends or by myself and everywhere else I've ever been to. Thankfully, I left that church for all the right reasons (I was bashed/bullied for my superior intelligence/treated as a tool for amusement, it became a "major job" for my dad, and my love for Pokemon constantly being put on the line).

Stuff like this redundant crapfest makes me sick to the core.