Why did you stay at PB?

The Yoshi

Wumbo
I think this belongs here, but not sure. I know there's a similar thread about why you joined, but this is a bit different.

When you first joined PB, what was the hook factor for you? Why did you choose to stay and be an active member? What "niche" does PB have that other forums don't?

I have a separate question for the current mods. When you first joined, did you ever expect to have any authority on this site?

For me, the hook factor was definitely the kindness of the community. PB's niche IMO is that it is a very welcoming community, and its simplicity compared to sites like Smogon works for it because it attracts newer members who have never been on a forum before. After a few years here I've complained a lot and argued about changes being made, but the only reason is because I love this place and the people here, and I want to see this place succeed. I guess you could say I'm afraid of change, that's all. I know I gathered a lot of hate that I will likely never lose but sorry for being a moody teen sometimes.

So, discuss.

RE: Why did you stay at PokéBeach?

I joined to look for a new place to hang out and/or lurk. I didn't really expect to really gain any new knowledge about Pokemon stuff from people here. Ultimately I did, but that is not what I went in expecting - I came here to make friends and also to support my (still) favorite newsfeed.

I stayed for the people. They're all so very friendly and, for the most part, non-judgmental.

Did I ever expect to have any authority on this site? Not really. I just let come what may and went with the flow. My first position of real authority (and the one I like the most) is Professor, because I love to share my knowledge with other peeps. Power doesn't matter as much to me as knowledge sharing and interacting with the community...but it's always nice.

I joined because this seemed like nice place, the site is quite bright in comparison to Serebii and smogon. I looked at the threads and saw that there were lots of nice people. The site specialized in TCG, which I like, so yeah, that's why I joined and have stayed here.

I lurked for like over a year before I actually did anything, so I don't really know. I think the thing that got me to stay was all of the people on Shoddy. Dudes like Steadfast, Bam, TDL, Cal, CCloud TDL, Pride, TPO3, and a lot of other people I can't remember were all so welcoming and helpful to me when I was such an annoying nub. I also met a lot of other people like Bippa, safariblade, DNA, Afro-G through IRC and Skype, so I really suppose I made too many friends to quit coming here. I eventually got mods (don't ask me how) too, and trust me, I never expected to have authority. I enjoy the forums, and I hope all the best for them in the year to come.

The Yoshi said:
I know I gathered a lot of hate that I will likely never lose but sorry for being a moody teen sometimes.

don't worry we still love you
(>^_^)>

Bippa said:
TDL, safariblade, SL, Teapot and Pride keep me coming back.

<3

The community is the pretty standard reason why I stayed. The variety of people on here and everyone's friendly attitude when I joined kept me coming back each and every day when I used to post a bunch of decklists.

As I stayed on here more and more over the years, I definitely had a dream of one day becoming a Moderator although that was definitely not going through my idea when I joined as I barely paid attention to any things like that. It seemed back then that being a Moderator was more glorified (or maybe I was just younger and have taken off the rose colored glasses since), so that definitely contributed to those ideas.

dmaster out.

Pretty much for a lot of the reasons already stated really. The community, it's all just simply wonderful. The people here are very nice, easy to get along with, have a conversation, and I rarely do I see anyone truly not getting along with each other. Sometimes of course, we're only human so it's understandable, but for the most part not very much.

Another reason that comes to mind for staying is the friends I've made, and that right there reflects on the community part. I don't know if you could say I've become truly "close" friends with many people here, if any at all, though that's something my mind always strives for, building better and stronger friendships. Not sure if I expect anything exceptionally long lasting, but I'll just let that aspect of Pokebeach take me and influence me however it chooses to. To put it in a much simpler form, I just really enjoy socializing with the people I've met as well as meeting new ones.

Not sure if I should be answering your question seeing as I'm not a current mod but just in case. I have had the honor of being a part of Pokebeach's staff. When I was modded it came as a rather large surprise, it may have been something I thought about, the idea of having authority over others, but actually getting promoted was more of a dream than anything else. I could go deeper into this, but looking at your answer you weren't asking for anymore than that.

Bippa said:
TDL, safariblade, SL, Teapot and Pride keep me coming back.
...dang :/

ShadowLugia said:
I also met a lot of other people like Bippa, safariblade, DNA, Afro-G through IRC and Skype, so I really suppose I made too many friends to quit coming here.
Yay I'm a friend! At least someone likes me...<3

This post feels pretty sloppy. I'm not the best at putting my thoughts into words in a form that flows nicely. I like to get off topic and go off on tangents as well so hopefully I didn't say more than I wanted it either. It being 2 am here probably doesn't help either. >.< But yeah, hopefully that gives enough of an understanding. There's probably other things I could mentioned, but those were the first things to come to mind at this time and most likely the more important ones. I might make another post to add to this one at some point in the future if I think it's necessary.

I found this thread title kind of funny. It's usually "why did you leave?", not, "why are you still here?"

I'm here cuz pokemans and diversity in discussion. Other sites tend to be too specified, or too big (PokeCommunity)

In part because I got a mod position, but mostly because people were reading my fanfics again. The popularity of my writings is the deciding factor as to whether or not I stay on a forum, as shallow as it sounds. There were a lot of times when my stories got completely ignored and it PO'd me to no end.

I came because Vulpix Yolk is my friend, and I stayed because I like some of the people here a lot, plus the art corner is neat and I can have a pretty signature.

Because I have no reason to leave.

I stay for the amazing community and TCG stuff. If it wasn't for PokeBeach I probably would still be a noob playing type based decks with little to no good cards. I actually joined when I was 13 and I searched Google for Pokemon websites.

PokeBeach has always felt very welcoming and nice, so I think that's it's "niche". Also our amazing power to turn noobs into competitive players.

I left for a while in 2009 because I thought I was growing too old for Pokemon. Two people PM'd me and said they were disappointed that I was leaving. 42 chocolate and safariblade. I looked back at those PMs about 6 months later and decided to return.
Since then I have made a few friends, become a contributor and really improved on my art. How could I ever leave?

dmaster said:
As I stayed on here more and more over the years, I definitely had a dream of one day getting 10,000 posts although that was all I thought about when I joined as I barely paid attention to any things like being cool. It seemed back then that having 10,000 posts was more glorified (or maybe I was just younger and have taken off the rose colored glasses since), so that definitely contributed to those ideas.

dmaster out.

Fixed :D

I joined pb to see if I could get away with a username with pimp in it

stayed for the cool people,

Did I think I would ever get mods? yeah right. When I joined this site, helping to run it was the last thing on my mind, lol.

I like the community. I like helping people. There are still cool people (read as: everyone on my buddy list, RIP a few of them) around, and I've already made a name for myself here, so why not stay? y/y?

Why do I stay? I guess I want to be loyal to my first ever online community.

It'd been a while since I had had regular Internet access. I got dial-up in April 2008, and the first (ok, second) site I visited was PB, based on recommendations from league. This happened to be right after The Great Site Crash of 2008, so I got to see firsthand its repercussions. In general, I became fascinated with situations like this; I simply found WPM to be an interesting person.

What does this have to do with the forums? Quite a lot. I remained a front page-only guy until October, when I joined for... some reason. Up to this time, I'd viewed the rules, Newbie guides, and Epic Threads thread multiple times. I got acquainted with the staff and famous members, and came to respect them way more than I should have, haha.

dmaster said:
It seemed back then that being a Moderator was more glorified (or maybe I was just younger and have taken off the rose colored glasses since), so that definitely contributed to those ideas.

So after joining, I stuck around, lurking the forums for things that piqued my interest. Things like forum games, and the Star Force 3 thread. And when games came out, the Q&A threads.

All these things made an influence on me at a time when things could be influential. So, yeah. I stuck around, lurking as I do. I crashed mod apps near the last day with an almost joke application; I never expected to be taken seriously. "What will you bring to the table?" "I will bring nothing to the table."

That day was probably one of the more surreal of my life, for whatever reason.

I joined because people at my league (Glace, TheFireWrym (I think that's how you spell it)) talked about it all the time and I figured why not get an account. I am sort of an active member, 107? posts since september, and I am to communicate mostly.

I crashed mod apps near the last day with an almost joke application; I never expected to be taken seriously. "What will you bring to the table?" "I will bring nothing to the table."

That day was probably one of the more surreal of my life, for whatever reason.

I know that feel. I had a very similar question asked me once, and I answered in a way not much different than you.

But I was deadly serious about my answer, because it was the truth. Will it pay off for me as it has for you? I hope so.

I stayed because I wanted to help people. In my old days I gave a lot of deck advice. I also ended up becoming a judge for deck list contests. [member]PokeChamp[/member] was one of my first friends I met. Those were the days I was more interested in the TCG part of the forum. Back in those days I never expected to be in any kind of authoritive position.

Some of you may have remembered when I left for a while. Yes I know the reason I did was selfish back then. I don't want to talk more about the incident though. I did end up coming back just for card questions. Eventually I made a full comeback.

I did end up switching to be mostly a VG member besides reading tournament reports and answering rule questions. I was already good at the games, but I wanted to learn more and the community helped me do so. I went from a good player to an amazing player in Ubers. It is not common that I lose to something other than from hax as can be seen when I ran an Ubers gym here.

When moderator applications came around I took the opportunity and filled out everything that was needed. My time had paid off and I got hired as a moderator. I was trying really hard to make sure my assigned forums stayed in top shape. It had worked out well for me because when Heavenly Spoon was no longer a super moderator, I got promoted. I'd like to think I've done a lot to help the forums.

I ha been using the Pokebeach main website for a while for scans and stuff, but she i researched a deck I would go all over the place. Every time when I looked around Pokebeach seemed to be the only really nice place, I say this because every other website would say stuff like "bad deck" and "bad list, can't help" but this forum had useful information that bettered me as a player. And that is why I stayed. Oh, and Celebi23z he just seemed so full of wisdom he played a main factor in me staying.

Back