XY Why Clone?

The thing is there are a lot of people that think cloning is hacking because there is the possibility of the clone being hacked when cloned. They don't kno the only time it will be hacked is when you clone a hack though. There are a lot of skeptical people out there. If it was not for this technology we would not have as many events as we do now XD.:)

Drohn said:
Metalizard said:
You were going so well with your speech...

I don't do that now, but I used to do it. Now, I play with real game copies because I got the money to buy them but when I was younger, I didn't. So, I don't comdemn people that download the games if they don't have money to buy them...
Not everyone is lucky enough to afford a handheld and a game (specially kids), plus pokémon is always coming out with new games, so if you want to be up to date, it's something you have to spend a lot of money on...

Not having money to play the franchise you love, that's what's unfair... that's how I felt as a kid, never had a gameboy and a copy of Red or Blue to play with...

I also believe there are exceptions; when people are otherwise unable to play the game it won't hurt the developers if they download and still enjoy the game instead. But if people who do have the choice to buy it it, but don't just to save some money, then Pokémon might go bankrupt and we will never see generation 96 xD To be serious, I do really think that people who are able to buy the original games, should.
You know, there is a legal aspect to this as well. Downloading games like that is illegal (though I won't condemn someone who has literally no way to obtain the game like, say in some isolated town in a potentially 3rd world nation without reliable transportation/mail service/etc., not that those would be my only criteria). I also have very little problem with downloading a game for a short period of time to play test it when no official demo is available (I did so with Emerald before I knew it was illegal, but it got me back into Pokemon nonetheless within a week [with official cartridge of Leaf Green, of course, in addition to my old copy of Blue])

To answer the original question, I don't clone my own pokemon often (since I RNG abuse, plus I have a device that allows me to export my retail game saves and, thus, reset wondercards too), but I can understand not wanting to trade away your legend/event when the other person just has less desirable/overly common/easily breedable pokemon to offer in return. In regard to competitve battles, hacked crap is going to find it's way in there regardless becuase there are tons of newbs out there and Gamefreak's hack check can't really catch pokemon with otherwise legal stats, EVs, shinyness, ability, moves, and gender (PID checking does not occur, so gender relates to fixed gender mons only). For example, an English, bred Speed Boost Blazikens/Combuskens/Torchics will pass GF's hack checks if they don't have egg moves despite Boostiken only being released only as a Japanese/Korean male (you can test this on the GTS. Even females pass...). On the other hand, a legitimate 3rd/4th gen Mimic Glitched/extended Rage glitched Spore Ninjask (or even the famous No Guard, Sheer Cold Machamp and Skill Swap/Dragon Dance Slaking) will be rejected (dem streetmons) as hacked.

Lastly, the chance that an original and it's clone (or even two clones of the same mon) would end up in the same tournament is generally rather slim, so it's not like the same Latios (for example) will be used by two people in the same tournament unless one player trained it and cloned it for his friend to use too. For breedable pokemon, this would be the same as RNG abusing the same species on the same seed/frame/delay/DS/game cartridge/etc. twice using the same parents. The two pokemon's data would be indistiguishable and have the same effect as cloning (although more time/effort would be invested, of course). Seeing as not everyone is capable of RNG abusing (not that it means they are mentally or physically inferior in or out of battle), cloning can be a means of further leveling the playing field to make battles more enjoyable for all parties. Don't get me wrong. I don't like players who hack just to win battles (Oh, look at my Sheer Cold/V-create/Outrage/Giga Impact Sableye with Wonder Guard, Baton Pass Blaziken with Speed Boost, and [insert crappy illegal Charizard moveset here, complete with Wonder Guard as ability]. Aren't I the strongest trainer ever!!!!!one!11!!!1) or that clone hacks in general (I swear that's equivalent to littering/pollution and should be punishable by law :p)

I use IR-GTS to clone, I do it because I spent so much time shiny hunting and EV training and RNG abusing that if something really bad happened to my file, like say it got exposed to magnetism and erased itself Id be devastated. So I like to have legitimate backup copies of all of my most important Pokemon so they can be recovered should the worst befall my Pokemon Cart.

I think hacking and all these types of things suck, Legitimacy is the best way. Seems not everyone thinks this way or even cares too.

Metalizard said:
Drohn said:
I believe there are positive and negative aspects to cloning. Attaining Pokémon with the wanted nature and IV can be very time consuming, and then you still have to EV train them. I can imagine that for people who want to obtain and train all their Pokémon themselves, having other people cloning and sharing the effort seems unfair. And I agree that it is unfair, because the game developers did not mean for it to be this easy.

But even though I think it is not fair, I still don't disapprove, based on all the positive effects it has. Pokémon is a game, meant to be enjoyed. Not everyone has the time to train Pokémon or the ability to collect event Pokémon. For players to be able to clone, allowing them to help each other out and dividing the efforts of training and collecting, causes better gameplay and more fun.

What I do disapprove on is using downloaded versions of the game to play (I think it is unfair people enjoy the game without paying for it) and also on the Pokémon that have illegal moves, stats, or abilities.

You were going so well with your speech...

I don't do that now, but I used to do it. Now, I play with real game copies because I got the money to buy them but when I was younger, I didn't. So, I don't comdemn people that download the games if they don't have money to buy them...
Not everyone is lucky enough to afford a handheld and a game (specially kids), plus pokémon is always coming out with new games, so if you want to be up to date, it's something you have to spend a lot of money on...

Not having money to play the franchise you love, that's what's unfair... that's how I felt as a kid, never had a gameboy and a copy of Red or Blue to play with...

I get you. The only way I could get a DS was to BEG my rich aunt to buy me one for Christmas 2 years *ago*(edit), and even though she got me a reconstructed DSi, so it literally came with nothing. And since I, to this day, get no allowance money or whatsoever, I spent the $50(Man, Costa Rica is way too expensive sometimes) I got from the rest of my family to buy a Flashcart (which eventually broke down a few months ago) since I knew there was no possible way I could buy 1 game without selling a kidney. I played the GBA games and Platinum before on emulators a friend gave me, but instead of pushing me forward to do it again, it made me want to play the real deal, and even though I played all the games in emulators or flashcart, I always wanted a real game Cartridge, a legal game. The only thing I regret doing was playing B2 2 weeks after its Japanese release with an English patch because I placed all my faith and luck to being able to get the real B2, but I got the English Rom 2 months after I realized I wouldn't get the money. To sum up this, I believe playing this way gives people like to at least experience what it is to play for real.
Ps.: Actually my signature is like that for me to see the funny side of having 17, about to enter the University and have no money, it's not that I'm literally asking for Cards or a 3DS; although I can't complain of someone actually does it someday.
About Cloning, I have to go with DNA here, since I had a flashcart, I could get past events and eventually trade those Pokémon with my friends and cousins, so I believe that is not wrong as long as its well intended and not to ruin the game, like having a No-Guard Deoxys-S with Sheer Cold and 999 in Speed.

I clone when the GTS is being ridiculous for foreign Pokémon and everyone is asking for a legendary. I don't want to give mine up so I clone him.

Defeats the purpose of Pokémon being unique and ruins the idea of trading but hey, GTS is full of idiots nowadays asking for unfair trades. Don't have a lotta time to things the "right" way. Pokémon is just a game and I'll play it however I have to.

I do, however, really, really, dislike how cloned shinies are being sold on ebay.

I used to clone back in Gen. I and II. Ever since then that I don't clone, back in Gen. III because I didn't know how and after that because I don't like that method. In my opinion every Pokémon has a story behind them, be it amazing or not, but it has a story. Cloned Pokémon are just data without a story, a mass-product. Despite being a game mainly about battles, I despise the "academic" level of training, breeding, cloning and battling, more so when applied to Mega-evolution, when people start talking about what abilities would do be best, what tier would it fit and talk about the necessity of some Pokémon gain a Mega-evolution just because of it's competitive value.

I do however accept cloning in order to gift players from countries without events, though even if I were to obtain one of those for said reasons, I wouldn't like it - the Pokémon itself - that much. Last but not least, the only time I could ever try to clone will be if I decide to have a "scientist" side, namely in Platinum with that cool Galactic lab.

DNA said:
What I want to know is, why does everyone seem to condone it? Sure, maybe you're just going to use it for this unofficial Wi-Fi competition where no one cares anyway, but I would think that at some point cloned Pokemon are going to or already have made it into official tournaments, and that should not happen.
Because I have a backup copy in case I mess up on my EV training,

There are many ways to undo your EV training, in part or in whole. The Reset Bag, the Perilous Soup in the one place in Lumoise City, the Pomeg/Kelpsy/etc berries.

FoxFire said:
DNA said:
Because I have a backup copy in case I mess up on my EV training,

There are many ways to undo your EV training, in part or in whole. The Reset Bag, the Perilous Soup in the one place in Lumoise City, the Pomeg/Kelpsy/etc berries.

Do keep in mind the date of that Quote: some months before XY came out, so EV Training was actually harder to undo back then.

Luispipe8 said:
FoxFire said:

Do keep in mind the date of that Quote: some months before XY came out, so EV Training was actually harder to undo back then.

Not by much. There were still the Join Avenue facilities in BW2 that let you reset EVs. Granted EVs weren't as visible, but it wasn't that much harder (as long as you knew what the blazes you were doing).

Guys cloning is not as bad as you think. If you are a seriouds event collector and want all the possible events out there is IS required in order to get the region events now since you can't bring your 3DS to say Japan without buying their system and games.:)

Most people who collect events simply trade for legitimate ones if they cannot obtain one themselves. Cloned event Pokemon are generally given almost no value whatsoever. Only those with strong evidence of legitimacy (and there are many forms of this) actually fetch anything.

And of course, no serious collector would ever be caught dead with a fake. That's just against the natural philosophy of collecting.

That said, I oppose cloning general, but I'm not about to tell other people how to play a game. Lots of people simply don't find it fun to get things legitimately because of the far greater amount of work that it takes. What business do I have forcing others to have less fun? I'll stay picky and you can keep on cloning.

I have no problem with cloners as long as they don't lie to people about trading non-clones when they are in fact trading cloned Pokémon. People cloning their Pokémon doesn't affect me or my enjoyment of the game in any way, so I don't see why I would be bothered by it or against it.

A lot of people do not know this but ONLY if you clone a hacked Pokemon then the cloned Pokemon will be hacked. All cloning does is copy they file as if you were copying a file on your computer as a duplicate. It is the same thing with Pokemon data. It is no different than making a duplicate copy of the same Pokemon. I don't see anything wrong with it unless too many people are cloning hacked Pokemon on purpose.:)

As I feel it's best put, "When you clone a Pokemon, you no longer have an original and a copy. You just have two clones." You can just as well hack an identical copy of an event (as people frequently do). The only Pokemon with value to a collector is a legitimate, original event, with verification of such.

That said, many non-collectors just care about getting certain Pokemon (e.g. for the sake of competitive battling), regardless of their origins. Again, I'll always avoid cloned or hacked Pokemon, but if you want to clone for your own use, go ahead. Just don't try and tell others it's legit.

I personally don't have a problem with cloning anymore. The only problem I ever had with cloning, was that I was jealous of people who could clone pokemon because I didn't know how to clone. I also think that cloning encourages trading and gives multiple people the same opportunity to use a certain pokemon in battle. If it wasn't for cloning, I would never have been so reluctant to trade some sweet pokemon like a kn 31/odd/31/31/31/30 bold zapdos, that I soft reset for myself(in-game), or shiny kb 31/31/31/x/31/31 mudkip that I breed my self using the Masuda Method. I remember feeling upset when I said no to multiple people who wanted to use the zapdos on on their VGC team. I also wanted those people to leave me alone. So, I thought, the most logical thing do to was to clone a bunch of zapdos'(the zapdos that I mentioned before) and give them away. I ended up giving away 70+ zapdos'. and I don't feel like I cheated 70+ people.

I like to clone the various shinies I have to give to close friends and people who I know are dying for one out of kindness. Also, I like to make passerbies happy by throwing 10+ shinies at their face and legends they need for dex entries in exchange for their crapmons just to make their day a little better.

Axell Starr said:
I like to clone the various shinies I have to give to close friends and people who I know are dying for one out of kindness. Also, I like to make passerbies happy by throwing 10+ shinies at their face and legends they need for dex entries in exchange for their crapmons just to make their day a little better.
Sounds like me and trading RNGed (and cloned for quantity) shiny Magikarp on WT or when that one person won't stop trading me and begging for shinies/whatnot... the only difference being I RNGed them to have 0 in literally every IV and to have a Quiet Nature so it's not even good as Gyarados. I call it Krapkarp and I'm only still trading them bc I have tons left over from April Fools.

The other side of the coin is if everyone did not clone we would not have as many events as if we did by cloning. In order to get all the events now from every region is to buy a 3DS from every are region and or use the file dumping programs for the PC and clone your Pokemon that way. Event collectors clone and trade duplicates for other events they don't have. I have been doing that since 2008 and I have over 2,000 events and every event is a clone unless it was a Wi-Fi event I got myself.:)

xxashxx said:
The other side of the coin is if everyone did not clone we would not have as many events as if we did by cloning. In order to get all the events now from every region is to buy a 3DS from every are region and or use the file dumping programs for the PC and clone your Pokemon that way.

And if Nintendo decides to distribute a Tanabata Jirachi in Japan only, why do we have a right to take it by force, so to speak?

Also, happy/confused/perturbed to see this thread exploded again. xD

Back