Pokemon What's With The Dunsparce Obsession?

My favorite Pokémon is Dunsparce. When I first encountered Dunsparce on the original Silver Version, I was so intrigued by it.

Back before I had access to Internet, when I had little knowledge about the second generation and Pokémon gaming in general, I thought it evolved into Gligar. I liked to pretend that I was a professor of sorts, so I studied the similarities between them (I even drew little charts and diagrams). They both had wings, fangs, a pointed tail, connotations with the ground (though only one of them was an actual Ground-type), and Gligar's National Pokédex number came immediately after Dunsparce. I spent ages trying to evolve what I thought to be Gligar's larvae, but Dunsparce would never evolve. In the end, I discovered it didn't evolve. I guess I got attached to it during that whole process. Of course, now I'm glad Dunsparce didn't evolve into Gligar (not that I dislike Gligar or anything).

For ages, Ho-oh was my favorite Pokémon. This was mostly because it was the first Pokémon I managed to defeat my "gamer god" of a cousin with. However, after some serious thought years later, I decided that Dunsparce should be my favorite. We all have different reasons for choosing a favorite, but I personally think liking a Pokémon solely for how powerful it is isn't right. Would seeing a toy figurine of Ho-oh make me excited? Probably not. A toy figure of Dunsparce? I'd squeal like a little girl. How could Ho-oh possibly be my favorite?

While some recognize Dunsparce as "the Great Annoyer", most overlook this seemingly-dull Pokemon completely. Thanks to its Serene Grace ability and massive status-inflicting movepool, Dunsparce can actually be a pretty decent Pokemon. I suggest giving it Glare/ThunderWave, Headbutt, Rock Slide, and Earthquake. King's Rock and Leftovers are both good items for Dunsparce. A Baton-Passing Ninjask with Substitute and Protect as a lead makes Dunsparce a nice sweeper. I mean, it's no Togekiss, but it's still pretty underrated.

I also caught a shiny Dunsparce some Christmases ago, which makes me love the lil' guy even more.

Plus, he just looks so darn squishy. >w<

No, my reason for liking Dunsparce isn't due to its unpopularity or derpiness. Magikarp, Bidoof, and Stunfisk certainly aren't some of my favorites. I like it because of personal experience with it, memories, and it just sort of stuck out to me.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." - Elite Four, Karen

I wonder if OP would think all my favorites are fake, since they're pretty much all the most hated pokemon of every generation...but I wish they were more popular. I don't get what makes any of them so widely disliked. It seems like the exact features that appeal to me most are just what the average person is more likely to find "stupid" looking or "ugly."

I think it's because I'm on the older side, and kids were into completely different-looking stuff when I was growing up.

Guys, please remember that this isn't a favorites thread, If you are going to talk about Dunsparce being your 'favorite', at least tell us more by going into detail like what Nekoban Ryo has done. If you only want to express that this is your favorite Pokemon, that's great, but save it for the Chillax Zone! :]

Dunsparce is gross. I've never really liked it, even though it might be kind of cute... Meh. I guess I credit it to my fear of insects or anything along the lines of insects.

I KINDA like how he looks, and back in the day beacose of his Serene Grace Ability he could be a good paraflincher and status inflicter, but now, Togekiss does the job better.

Dustin DeVine said:
Dunsparce is gross. I've never really liked it, even though it might be kind of cute... Meh. I guess I credit it to my fear of insects or anything along the lines of insects.

It's a fat reptile though, a stubby snake :)

A lot of people interpreted it as a maggot when it was first revealed. I wish we had a maggot...

I like it for its unique (by pokemon standards) design and how rare it is. I'm also a huge serpent fan so they helps me like it that much more

Back