What would you like to see more of?

I was thinking a member gallery. But it doesn't look like Mybb supports something like that.

I recently got a laptop and would love to start some drawing. Seeing as both you Aggie and XieRH post here and are both very skilled I need some quick advice.

Do you recomend learning first at hand drawn or starting straight off with a tablet? I know it'll take a long time to get good at drawing but I'm willing

Well....

It's a bit of many stuff to take care of.

You need to set up your tablet and make sure it works on the program you are using. By "work" I mean completely working, i.e. pressure sensitivity and all that. Programs like Gimp, SAI and photoshop have settings for extended input devices (note: gimp is not very tablet friendly. eg. My gimp doesnt detect my wacom bamboo unless I start the program by clicking with the bamboo stylus rather than mouse)

Then comes orientation. May take 2 or 3 days depending on how picky you are. First orientate hand-eye coordination with sketch practice, then move on to brush calibration, basically tweaking things like opacity and sensitivity, and preferably saving those settings which you like (eg. settings for lineart, shading, etc.). The calibration can take pretty long, you may have to do entire linearts just to see if it's ok, or if the strokes are too thick or non-uniform, etc.

...OR you could just jump into it and try for yourself. Most people do that anyway. The whole calibration fluff is not that crucial usually... even I recalibrate my brushes when my strokes change.

Learning to draw works regardless of the medium you're working with. The only difference is the hand-eye coordination which IMO is quite minor.

We could do like a King of the Hill competition.. Something like what they have on GFXVoid..

I also really think that there should be a stickied rules or guide thread regarding use of credit, how to keep your art threads neat/how they should look, other important threads, things like that.

Rules of credit is a tricky issue because each artist operates on his own policy of usage of his works (and the majority dont even have rules, they just assume people are smart enough to not do the stupid thing and make assumptions of what can or can't be used).

I dunno about neat art threads... IMO the neatest is still a proper gallery, which this forum does not support.

Back