What is the best EX?

RE: The Best Ex

Riskbreakers said:
Darkrai IMO. It has a broken engine with more broken support. Granted Mewtwo has a lot of versatility but Darkrai's support is just unfair.

But this exactly take away darkrai ex's engine and what do you have a good ex and that is exactly it. Mewtwo ex dose not need an engine. Now mewtwo is no where my favorite ex but i am just saying that it is good.

Wailord ex.

I mean c'mon 200 hp on a stage 1? That's so retardedly broken.

The best EX is Darkrai EX, and I'm toooootally not just saying that because he's my favorite mon. He's seriously got everything going for him. 120 for 3 with no drawback whatsoever (and there are many times when 90+30 is a lot better than a flat 120). He's got that awful 2 retreat, but really the only bad thing about that is he's not heavy ballable-with the splashable of darks like Prism and Blend GRPD the only time you should be struggling to retreat is in an energy drought, in which case having any retreat over 0 would be just as bad, or when Garbodor, and since most Garbodor use Terrakion as a main attacker, yeah bro why did you drop Darkrai in the first place...unless they don't run terra, in which case he's a great attacker. He has easily the best ability on a basic in the game, and probably in the top 5 abilities overall. As if this wasn't enough, he gets the best support in the entire game in the form of Dark Patch, Sableye, and Hydreigon. But perhaps best of all, he first gave the format a consistent way to beat mewtwo not called mewtwo, therefore decentralizing the meta from Mewtwo-and focusing 2/3s or more of it around himself.

Dark Void said:
Wailord ex.

I mean c'mon 200 hp on a stage 1? That's so retardedly broken.

The best EX is Darkrai EX, and I'm toooootally not just saying that because he's my favorite mon. He's seriously got everything going for him. 120 for 3 with no drawback whatsoever (and there are many times when 90+30 is a lot better than a flat 120). He's got that awful 2 retreat, but really the only bad thing about that is he's not heavy ballable-with the splashable of darks like Prism and Blend GRPD the only time you should be struggling to retreat is in an energy drought, in which case having any retreat over 0 would be just as bad, or when Garbodor, and since most Garbodor use Terrakion as a main attacker, yeah bro why did you drop Darkrai in the first place...unless they don't run terra, in which case he's a great attacker. He has easily the best ability on a basic in the game, and probably in the top 5 abilities overall. As if this wasn't enough, he gets the best support in the entire game in the form of
Dark Patch, Sableye, and Hydreigon. But perhaps best of all, he first gave the format a consistent way to beat mewtwo not called mewtwo, therefore decentralizing the meta from Mewtwo-and focusing 2/3s or more of it around himself.
Darkrai doesn't have everything going for him because of that{F} weakness that guys like terrakion, landorus ex, and groudon love. Another thing about Darkrai is he doesn't hit many pokemon for weakness, so he does have flaws but I will admit he is very good.

landbro and groudon don't even OHKO him anyway (unless landbro discards, but he OHKOs everything with a 30 snipe+discard and tool scrapper aside from aspertia tornadus so its a moot point) and Terrakion has never had more than a 60-40 matchup against darkrai decks, often less, since he's so easy to tech around. And you don't have to hit things for weakness if you have the best attack in the game on a basic.

Dark Void said:
landbro and groudon don't even OHKO him anyway (unless landbro discards, but he OHKOs everything with a 30 snipe+discard and tool scrapper aside from aspertia tornadus so its a moot point) and Terrakion has never had more than a 60-40 matchup against darkrai decks, often less, since he's so easy to tech around. And you don't have to hit things for weakness if you have the best attack in the game on a basic.

Hey buddy you gotta understand lots of people that play Fighting decks either run a Pterodactyl named Aerodactyl or run this one card I like to call Pluspower which 1-shots Darkrai EX.

DirtyDan said:
Hey buddy you gotta understand lots of people that play Fighting decks either run a Pterodactyl named Aerodactyl or run this one card I like to call Pluspower which 1-shots Darkrai EX.
um...what smart player uses Aerodactyl? He takes too many cards just to get into play, and then he's easily KOd, and the extra 10 damage really isnt worth that much trouble.

Keeper of Night said:
DirtyDan said:
um...what smart player uses Aerodactyl? He takes too many cards just to get into play, and then he's easily KOd, and the extra 10 damage really isnt worth that much trouble.

Trust me dude aerodactyl is really good in fighting you'd be surprised

DirtyDan said:
Dark Void said:

Cool. Even so, you're talking about getting a mon that I can still 2HKO, attaching 3 energy to it, dropping a tool scrapper, AND a pluspower, and then you can OHKO Darkrai. Every single EX in the format can be OHKOed by a deck with that setup. If you're going to argue that fighting types are more common than the things that OHKO other EXes, you're proving my point: Darkrai is better and so things that "counter" him become better than things that counter other EXes.

Dark Void said:
DirtyDan said:

Cool. Even so, you're talking about getting a mon that I can still 2HKO, attaching 3 energy to it, dropping a tool scrapper, AND a pluspower, and then you can OHKO Darkrai. Every single EX in the format can be OHKOed by a deck with that setup. If you're going to argue that fighting types are more common than the things that OHKO other EXes, you're proving my point: Darkrai is better and so things that "counter" him become better than things that counter other EXes.

Thats a valid point. I think you beat me in this battle of who is better Darkrai or Landorus. Im gonna have to agree with you that Darkrai is the best :p.

capt.penguin said:
Riskbreakers said:
Darkrai IMO. It has a broken engine with more broken support. Granted Mewtwo has a lot of versatility but Darkrai's support is just unfair.

But this exactly take away darkrai ex's engine and what do you have a good ex and that is exactly it. Mewtwo ex dose not need an engine. Now mewtwo is no where my favorite ex but i am just saying that it is good.

Well we don't play Pokemon with only 1 card right? The engine is part of the factors determining which is the best EX. Darkrai's engine wins hands down.

Well, it's obvious that the best EX (read as Pokemon lol) is either Mewtwo or Darkrai.

Last format, I was pretty quick to say Mewtwo just plain dominated. Mewtwo/Eels was solid and Darkrai/Mewtwo was good as well but Mewtwo could basically power through really anything and even started shaping the format (Hydreigon is now expected to run some kind of Mewtwo counter, whether that be Sigilyph, Mewtwo itself or even Cresselia). I guess I would probably have to say Mewtwo again just because of his splashability in a lot of decks, but it's a pretty tough choice for sure.

dmaster out.

I have to agree with Both MEwtwo and Darkrai being the most influencial cards to the format. Darkrai not only provides a bulky attacker with great stats (Bar Fighting weakness), but it provides immense support in Dark Cloak, making not only top-tier decks have a lot of fluidity, but also gives other gimmick decks a chance to beat top tier decks (Not often, but still allows for them to be made). Mewtwo is so great that if your deck fails to completely set up its game-plan and you're at a loss for an effective attacker, or you happen to come across someone who your setup would be too risky to set up on, look no further than stacking a mewtwo and go out swinging (This works better if your decks runs energy accel, since you'll most likely start a Mewtwo War, and if you can do that the deck who can win the war will win the match). It's for that reason ever since I got my hands on more than one Mewtwo, most of my successful decks have been the ones based around the synergy between Darkrai's broken engine and free retreat combined with Mewtwo's flexibility and overall powerhouse-ness.

That, and I must say the Promo Mewtwo has one of the best arts I've seen for a pokemon card. Easily accessable, usable in (nearly) every deck, and great art = Wonderful card overall.

Keeper of Night said:
Deoxysmatter said:
That, and I must say the Promo Mewtwo has one of the best arts I've seen for a pokemon card.

You're kidding right?

It has GREAT art.
Anyhow, Mewtwo is great as far as splashability goes. Mewtwo can be put in close to every deck this format and do great. Plus, In some games where your opponent has a weak set up, you can just walk all over them with it. It's very versatile and sometimes unpredictable, so that can be an advantage too. I also like that it helps us remember simple multiplication, because after all:
Clipart---Mr.D---Math-Rocks2.jpg

After Mewtwo, I'd say Darkrai, followed by Tornadus, Landorus, and then Rayquaza.

it's hard to say what the "best" EX is simply because it will be opinion, which, no matter how you look at it, isn't fact. Some people can claim Giratina EX as the best simply because of bias.

But, to prevent myself from becoming a troll, I think Mewtwo is a good EX simply because it's got some speed under it. The thing is, that is really only as powerful as the defending Pokémon.

Back