What is the best EX?

Daddy

Follow Me On Twitter @robby_weidemann
Who is it!? It always has been mewtwo, but there are 2 other strong competitors for that title- Darkrai and Landorus (and there is always keldeo), but who do you think is best? I say mewtwo, but 75+% of decks are based off of Darkrai.

Bo$$_89

Two Posts a Day Kept the Trolls Away
RE: The Best Ex

No guys, it's gotta be Kyurem EX. C'mon it does 120 for only 4 energy! That's so overpowered that they had to make it only be able to happen every other turn!

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Title should be Best EX, not Ex.
Anyway...
Mewtwo probally takes the prize for this one, being able to fit into any deck and deal 80+ damage easily. And even more in decks that have energy excel, though even in the ones that dont, it can up its damage output easily with DCE.
Darkrai however makes a strong second contender as it can give free retreat to any pokemon that has a Blend (GPFD)/Prism/Dark energy and also has a great attack, plus resistance to Mewtwo.
Landorus seems over hyped to me, though I cant deny that it is a great card. Though I doubt it will be as much as a staple as people make it seem.
Keldeo...haha, very funny. How can this be any good with Mewtwo in our format? It takes too many energy to do any decent ammount of damage and Mewtwo can easily OHKO it. Yes, it has a good ability, but if it's being OHKOd anyway, what does it matter?
Raikou is awesome, it has free retreat in all Eel decks that use Skyarrow Bridge, and what Eels deck doesnt? It can hit 100 on any of your opponet's pokemon (aside from Squirtle) and then discards all it's energy, which is good for Eel's ability and cancles the extra damage Mewtwo would other wise do.
Raquaza may not be as good as Raikou or Mewtwo, but it can hit for outrageous ammounts of damage with very little energy. Though the fact that it needs Fire or Prism energy in Eels decks (or Lightning energy in Emboar decks...nvm, thats suicide) kinda hinders it's preformance.
Groudon is pretty good imo, being able to spread after T2 and OHKOing with it's second attack half the time. Though right now, with Keldeo being so hyped, Water weakness isnt very good and such a bulky EX. Though it does see enough play in Terrakion and Klinklang (dont laugh, it works) decks.
Terrakion is the only energy excel. we have for Fighting types, but in addition to that it can hit for 90 damage with 3 energy. Kinda slow, but can OHKO Darkrai (without Eviolite) and 2HKO everything else. But because it takes at least 3 turns to set up, it does make it difficult to keep them coming. However in Terrakion/Darkrai decks, it can hit on T2 with Dark Patch and Energy Switch.
Registeel is seen often as a tech in Eels, I guess because of it's resistance to Mewtwo and the fact it can 2HKO multiple opposing Deinos and Tynamos in 2 turns. And in Klinklang it really is difficult to KO because after it uses Protect Charge, which reduces damage to it by 20, and an attached Evoilite.
Regigigas may see a come back with the Apserita City Gym stadium card, which then gives it 200 HP, which can be boosted even further with Giant Cape or Eviolite. But who can tell for sure?
Tornadus is one of the faster EXs in our format, somewhere up there with Darkrai and Mewtwo, because it can hit for 60 T1 more often than not, with just a stadium (again, Asperita City Gym helps in this case) and a DCE. Then can hit for 100 T3 for just abother energy, and even though it soemtimes need to discard and energy, it doesnt hurt Darkrai or Eels decks. It's also a great tech in those decks since it has resistance to Fighting which both Darkrai and most Eels attackers are weak to.
Kyogre is only really good as a tech in Keldeo or Klinklang, but can hit benched pokemon for a decent ammount of damage so you can finish them off later.
Shaymin is fairly frail (lol) with only 110 HP, but when used wisely and at the right time, can make or break the game. It can hit for enough damage to get a final KO with only 2 energy. It's especially useful in Darkrai decks for the last KO on a Terrakion/Groudon/Landorus.
Ho-Oh is a speedy and interesting EX, because of it's ability. Ho-Oh decks use TONS (if not all) of different kinds of energy. And can usually hit between T1 and T3 depending on how lucky you are with coin flips. :p
Cresselia is only really good as a tech in Darkrai/Hydriegon decks, though it does work if used with the right timing. It's Ability makes it difficult to KO and it's attack's effect prevents it from being revenge killed by Mewtwo or another Cresselia. However, it only works in Darkrai/Hydriegon decks because it can use Blends and then be brought up to the front whenever it wants because you can use Hydriegon's ability to give it 4 energy easily.

Other than that, there's not much else worth mentioning. Mew EX is just bad, Zekrom is out classed by others, ect.

ashtavakra

Overlord

I think Mew one day will see play. Especially if next destinies is rotated out next format. Mew boxes will make their return.
In my opinion, a card like Mew can only get better. The more pokemon released cards released in a format the greater the chance
it will have to be playable in more and more decks.

But it is obvious that Mewtwo is the best EX so far.

MrGatr

Goin Rogue Baby :DDD

Honestly, my choice would have to be between either Mewtwo EX, or Ho-Oh EX. Since they both are amazing in the early game, and can help certain match-ups a lot. For example, a Mewtwo EX can get three energies turn 1 with lucky flips, and with the help of fast ticket, you can donk out some Eels, and do some damage to landorus EX before it gets set up. So I guess both of them combined are really good. Which means there really isn't a single best EX because every EX has a good counter, and another EX that counters that.

exdarkrai01

Aspiring Trainer

I have to agree that there is no card as versatile and powerful as mewtwo. Its is the only pokemon that should be played in nearly every single deck.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member

Mewtwo, Darkrai, Rayquaza, or Landorus. Each one is used differently and accomplishes something different, and they're top-class in what they do.

~Landorus is notable because it can spread damage quickly and efficiently
~Darkrai is much the same, but a tidge slower, a bit more powerful, and gives mobility to its entire field
~Mewtwo is just one of those fun omni-counters to everything that loads up on energy...and itself
~Rayquaza is a bit different than the others, but his damage potential is practically unlimited, able to OHKO basically anything.

Honorable mentions are Keldeo, Groudon, Tornadus, and Cresselia, in no particular order.

Blui

lv85 paladin

I actually don't really like Mewtwo. It's easily the most splashable but other than that it's not that good. If we are looking at the card itself, Darkrai or Landorus have this in a close race.

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod

In terms of the card itself, I would have to say its a tie between Landorus EX and Darkrai EX. Both are very versatile and can fit into nearly anything or make new strategies, ect.

But in terms of decks, splashibility and stuff like that, I would have to say Mewtwo EX. This shouldn't have to be explained. :p

MountainDrew

Wishes Mega Umbreon would exist

After using all 3 I would say landorus. It can hit really hard on turn 1. It's weakness isn't that bad because keldeo blastoise is very inconsistent and is easy to beat. It can donk stuff such as deino,tynamo, and many others. It has a great hp and a nice resistence. It is good againest darkrai,raikou,zek ex, and many other ex.I know a lot of people are going to disagree but landorus is a complete BEAST and is underrated (hehe).

Flys Gone 2071

Also known as Flygon2071

Mewtwo is the best by far. Excellent for splashing and can OHKO anything (with the correct amount of energies). Other candidates would be Darkrai (free retreat + spread + good damage = the second best EX), Rayquaza EX (humongous damage) and Landorus (good spread and later huge damage). Terrakion EX, Keldeo EX are also really nice IMO.

exdarkrai01

Aspiring Trainer

Rayquaza shouldnt be top 5. Its good but it needs an engine that generally takes up an entire deck to operate.

Riskbreakers

The Brilliant Star☆

Darkrai IMO. It has a broken engine with more broken support. Granted Mewtwo has a lot of versatility but Darkrai's support is just unfair.

capt.penguin

:p

C'mon guys it mewtwo. Why because it needs on card dce. While darkrai needs its engine( dark patch and sableye) and ray needs eels. Mew2 does not and I know landourous ex needs only 1 energy as well its not as splash able as mewtwo. I'm not saying landourous is bad but it hasn't won a worlds or has come close to winning that many cities yet while this time last year format was actually called the mewtwo wars.

Riskbreakers

The Brilliant Star☆

capt.penguin said:
C'mon guys it mewtwo. Why because it needs on card dce. While darkrai needs its engine( dark patch and sableye) and ray needs eels. Mew2 does not and I know landourous ex needs only 1 energy as well its not as splash able as mewtwo. I'm not saying landourous is bad but it hasn't won a worlds or has come close to winning that many cities yet while this time last year format was actually called the mewtwo wars.

Best means the one that can have the highest peak right? Mewtwo is usually delegated to start Mewtwo wars while Darkrai has his broken engine to start winning. The only reason last format was full of Mewtwo wars was because Mewtwo was the only half decent EX to be constantly put into decks. Landorus can't win that many cities and worlds yet because it has only these past weeks for Cities and still no Worlds with a format with Landorus. That statement is biased and not enough sample sizes to make a judgement of.