XY What if: They added a way to get Alternate Typings?

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
We know Dream World could change your ability to something more useful (sometimes) but what if they also changed the secondary type for some pokemon?

Charizard for example could change its flying type to a Dragon Type.

Pure types like Samurott could gain a second type like Fighting.

It would dramatically change the game but it'd be cool.

I doubt this would happen but what would think if it did?

RE: What if: They added DW Alternate Typings?

There's been a rumor going around about X/Y being a reference to genetics so I could easily see how this could possibly be involved. The Dream World could serve as some kind of realm for genetic mutation.

I think it's a stretch, but it's interesting nevertheless.

Sounds like a interesting idea, people would spend days looking for a legit Dragon/Fire Charizard! Probably the reason that they wouldn't...

I like the idea.

Of course it wouldn't be the dreamworld but something new.

Like "you transfer your pokemon to a Lab/Training Area/whatever" and then play silly minigames in the browser, perhaps gaining EVs, slightly improving IV, having Hidden Power shown and whatever else in this direction...and then perhaps changing some pokemons types..

The problem I have with DW, is are they going to add a 2nd second ability? Most non-starters and legendaries already have 3 Abilities and if they add more, then a lot of older Pokémon won't get any new ones.

If Charizard got Fire/Dragon all the genwunners will cheer until they realise that it sacrificed its 4x weakness to hidden stones to be 2x weak to them and weak to one of the most common moves in the game

All jokes aside, this feature could be interesting. I could easily see a lab being used somewhere where the scientists want to bring out 'the other side of some select Pokemon', and possibly have this feature ingame (of course it would be after the Elite Four), where you have to work with your Pokemon to learn their new move, and when they complete it you get a message saying 'Blastoise released it's inner metalness! It has now all the qualities of a Water/Steel type and will be treated as such!' or something of the like, and then to reverse the type change you simply delete its move of its new type. And then after, getting it to be the new type would be a bit easier.
Maybe to go with their new type, they could get some kind of attack of their new type that they didn't have before. (even though their current tm/tutor list wouldn't change, with the one exception of new dragons getting Draco Meteor).

some typings I'm thinking could happen (in vague dex order), with new moves:
Blastoise - Water/Steel - new move Iron Head
Nidoking - Poison/Fighting - new move Hammer Arm
Gengar - Ghost/Dark - new move Nasty Plot
Gyarados - Water/Dragon - new move Dragon Rush
Pinsir - Bug/Fighting - new move Megahorn (I kno its not its new type but Pinsir already learns like every fighting type move)
Meganium - Grass/Psychic (its breath reviving plants seems psychic-ey to me) - new move Calm Mind
Feraligatr - Water/Fighting - new move Cross Chop
Typhlosion - Fire/Dark - new move Dark Pulse
Ledian - Bug/Fighting - new move Seismic Toss
Pineco - Bug/Grass - Grass Knot
Sceptile - Grass/Dark - new move Sucker Punch
Masquerain - Bug/Water - new move Surf
Volbeat/Illumise - Bug/Electric - both get Discharge
Huntail - Water/Dark - new move Night Slash
Gorebyss - Water/Psychic - new move Psycho Cut
Staraptor - Fighting/Flying - new move Superpower
Luxray - Electric/Dark - new move Dark Pulse
Dusknoir - Ghost/Dark - new move Night Daze
Lucario - Fighting/Psychic - new move Future Sight
Samurott - Water/Fighting - new move Brick Break
Serperior - Grass/Dragon - new move Dragon Dance
Seismitoad - Water/Poison - new move Gunk Shot
Beartic - Ice/Fighting - new move Close Combat

For anyone wondering why I took Charizard out, its because I felt that every starter without a dual type should recieve one, and all starters with a dual type should keep the two types they already have. plus it means the genwunners can suffer

feel free to critique, it was made quite quickly and without full thought put in

edit: removed Charizard and added a couple new ones

I could see this, and I think it would be pretty cool. I've always thought Blastoise should gain a Steel typing to it. I mean, come on, look at it. It has huge cannons sticking out of it's back. Made of steel.
009Blastoise.png

How is it not already a steel type?

Quick thought, do you think that every starter would get a secondary type?
I nearly put Feraligatr on as a Water/Fighting on that list, but Meganium ended up on there instead.
I nearly put the Blastoise example above on as well, but then thought 'Empoleon!' when I did it. I'll edit my post with it (and any other additions anyone else has to it).
Typhlosion could be a Fire/FightingDark I guess, which if Feraligatr being Fighting and the Meganium being Psychic, would be interesting because it would be the Dark/Psychic/Fighting triangle, but heavily unbalanced -Feraligatr hits Typhlosion SE on both its STAB moves, Typhlosion hits Meganium SE and so forth.

I'll be honest, I only put Charizard and Gyarados on because I know there would be that one person who'd instantly see it and call me out for not putting them on there.

It would be quite interesting. There are many Pokemon which could be retyped (specially Gyaraods).

.Towelette said:
I could see this, and I think it would be pretty cool. I've always thought Blastoise should gain a Steel typing to it. I mean, come on, look at it. It has huge cannons sticking out of it's back. Made of steel.
009Blastoise.png

Steel type was introduced in 2nd gen.

Flygon2071 said:
It would be quite interesting. There are many Pokemon which could be retyped (specially Gyaraods).

.Towelette said:
009Blastoise.png

Steel type was introduced in 2nd gen.

I know...

Alternate typings sounds very huge especially for competitive play, like we have endless possibilities here, and that will make teams even less predictable making the typing of the opponent's Pokemon unknown. Here are some alternate typings i think should happen:
Gengar & Dusknoir - Ghost/Dark
Gorebyss - Water/Psychic
Aerodactyl - Rock/Dragon (w/ Levitate)
Lugia - Psychic/Water (w/ Levitate)

I'll put Dusknoir and Gengar on the list, along with Gorebyss (and Huntail as a Water/Dark).

Aerodactyl I can easily see but the only problem would be with abilities - Aero already has 3 abilities that suit it well.
I'm reluctant to change Lugia, since its a legendary it would be logical to change its counterpart, Ho-Oh, except Ho-Oh's type is already fine as is, plus cover legendaries either have matching or counterpart abilities. Pressure and Levitate aren't really counterpart.
I'm only really putting logical type changes on here and ones that would have a chance of happening; I highly doubt that GF would change Lugia.

Luxray Electric/Dark pls xDd....

Wait did someone really mention Dusknoir for Dark, but not Banette? That can't be!

MrSquarepants said:
Man Dusknoir Ghost Dark would be a tough to beat. No one would use Spiritomb anymore.

Fairy is (supposed) to hit Dark for super effective damage so all Type combinations have weaknesses now (except Electric + Levitate).

I think that it would be cool that when a Pokemon gains the new type, it might slightly change it's appearance, like its colors a bit

Electivire - Electric/Fighting
Magmortar - Fire/Poison

Hegafire0 said:
I think that it would be cool that when a Pokemon gains the new type, it might slightly change it's appearance, like its colors a bit

Wouldn't that essentially be formes?

Which makes me think of the other thread that just showed up, about what old pokemon would be cool to gain formes.
I think formes would be the most elegant way of doing this!
If Ninetales became more ghastly or spiritual, gaining a Ghost type, without evolving, Id sure wanna see a visual change to go along.

MrSquarepants said:
We know Dream World could change your ability to something more useful (sometimes) but what if they also changed the secondary type for some pokemon?

Charizard for example could change its flying type to a Dragon Type.

Pure types like Samurott could gain a second type like Fighting.

It would dramatically change the game but it'd be cool.

I doubt this would happen but what would think if it did?

HolonPhantoms102GyaradosStar.jpg

I actually kind of thought of this when I saw the title of that.

Basically what you are saying is a game version of the delta species thing from the tcg a while back right?

I don't know. The whole idea seems a bit out there. I feel like there would have to be strict requirements and limitations.

Back