XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

Seeing the pictures on the main page, there is a good pic of when Chespin is using Solar Beam. Chespin looks better than the other 2 when battling.
The attack that Froakie used seemed to me more like acrobatics than a fighting type move. Froakie doesn't seem a Flying Pokemon. Making it ice would be pretty nice (the first starter to be ice!)

I'm so excited to see a grass starter that isn't a reptile and most likely wont be dinosaur like upon final evolution. I really am super happy with all the designs.

I like all the starters. I thought the B&W starters were terrible. I never used them in the game. I just really hope that they don't make Froagie incredibly annoying in the anime like they did with piplup and oshawott. Oshawott was insanely annoying. I'm looking forward to seeing the new restored Pokemon though because I really liked archen/tirtouga.

I know everyones probably going to hate me for this but... the only one I like is Froakie, and I don't think he's amazing either, I just think he's alright. To me Fennekin looks like a fire type Purrloin that has more fur, and I don't like Chespin because of the green spikes on top of his head. They just feel out of place and weird imo. Once again I like Froakie, but I have a feeling his evolutions will look like Palpitoad and Seismitoad from the Tympole line. Oh well I guess. They'll probably grow on me anyways, I remember hating Tepig when he was announced, but now I used him for my Black 2 playthrough and now I think Emboars awesome.

EDIT: After a couple hours, I take back hating on the starters, I like them all now.(although I still think Fennekin looks like a fire type Purrloin)

Flygon2071 said:
The attack that Froakie used seemed to me more like acrobatics than a fighting type move. Froakie doesn't seem a Flying Pokemon. Making it ice would be pretty nice (the first starter to be ice!)

The attacks used seem to be:

Chespin: Solar Beam and Shadow Claw
Fennekin: Flamethrower and Psywave
Froakie: Water gun and Doubleslap

Chespin is looking more and more appealing to me, I love those colors and he seems to be based on a Porcupine and Pine Needles. Can't wait to see the evolved form for him.

cecil 090 said:
Flygon2071 said:

The attacks used seem to be:

Fennekin: Flamethrower and Psywave

Chespin is looking more and more appealing to me, I love those colors and he seems to be based on a Porcupine and Pine Needles. Can't wait to see the evolved form for him.

Doubleslap? Yeah I don't think so. It looks like Acrobatics or something new. Personally, I'm hoping it's Acrobatics.

Even though I love fire-types, I might be starting with Chespin. His little green hat makes him look so cute! Froakie is just......Froakie. While Fennekin looks cool and is a fire-type, I might not choose him just because I don't want another fire/fighting-type starter.

Does anyone see a fire Zorua when looking at Fenniken? By the way, Fenniken is so. Flipping. Cute. Looks like it needs to shave it's ear-hair, though... But anyway, it looks like he might be a Fire and Psychic Pokemon considering the trailer showing him using what looks to be a Psychic move.

I am not so sure about Chespin. I just have to wait and see. Does anyone else think that he might be Water and Grass? He even looks like he is wearing a swim-cap that the professional swimmers use to reduce friction. Not to mention he looks like an otter.

Froakie is beast. The only downside will be his voice in the show, which I am predicting will sound a lot like Piplup. Anyway, I think that he is going to be a Water and Fighting or Water and Dark type, considering his usage of what looked to be shadow claw or Night Slash in the trailer.

cecil 090 said:

Its based on a hedgehog and chestnut...how does no one see the chestnut husk on its head? Thats the first thing I noticed...only later did I start figuring out what animal it is. Its name even begins with Ches..

Anyhow.

We can assume there is still different Hit-sounds depending on whether the attack is resisted/neutral/SE, right?
I believe thats the case since the SolarBeam on Magikarp had a longer and sweepier noise, whereas the Flamethrower on the Munchlax is just a "drp".

My point being, whatever slashin attack Chespin uses on Golurk, its the neutral sound, so I don't think its Night Slash/Shadow Claw since those would both be super effective. Probably just Scratch or another Normal slashing move.

And the other one doesn't seem like DoubleSlap at all.

All of the second moves seen could be new ones for all we know.

Am i the only one that sees that Froakie could be Water/Flying?

He has Clouds on his back like Altaria, which could make him half flying and he is using acrobatics in the trailer o.o i can see him having bounce too.

Water/Flying would be amazing imo , and i think it might happen :D

It seemed to me more like:

Chespin --- Solar Beam/Night Slash
Fennekin --- Flamethrower/Psywave
Froakie --- Scald(or water gun)/Acrobatics.

Mitja said:
My point being, whatever slashin attack Chespin uses on Golurk, its the neutral sound, so I don't think its Night Slash/Shadow Claw since those would both be super effective. Probably just Scratch or another Normal slashing move.
Funny, I thought Golurk was a Ghost type and wasn't affected by Normal attacks.

This post is going by the assumption that Chespin did indeed use Night Slash and Fennekin did indeed use a Psychic attack.

I find this pretty interesting. Night Slash is super effective against Psychic types--this would give the Chespin line a way to combat the Fennekin line, so Chespin's line's (assumed) secondary type looks like it's going to combat the secondary type of the starter that it's weak to. This leads me to believe that the typings of the fully evolved starters are as follows.

Chespin: Grass/Dark (Grass beats Froakie, Dark beats Fennekin)
Fennekin: Fire/Psychic (Fire beats Chespin, Psychic beast Froakie)
Froakie: Water/Fighting (Water beats Fennekin, Fighting beats Chespin)

Might not exactly be correct, but it wouldn't make too much sense for the first two starters to have interesting dual types and the other one to just be stuck with Water, right? Just my thoughts.

don()shinobi said:
Mitja said:

This post is going by the assumption that Chespin did indeed use Night Slash and Fennekin did indeed use a Psychic attack.

I find this pretty interesting. Night Slash is super effective against Psychic types--this would give the Chespin line a way to combat the Fennekin line, so Chespin's line's (assumed) secondary type looks like it's going to combat the secondary type of the starter that it's weak to. This leads me to believe that the typings of the fully evolved starters are as follows.

Chespin: Grass/Dark (Grass beats Froakie, Dark beats Fennekin)
Fennekin: Fire/Psychic (Fire beats Chespin, Psychic beast Froakie)
Froakie: Water/Fighting (Water beats Fennekin, Fighting beats Chespin)

Might not exactly be correct, but it wouldn't make too much sense for the first two starters to have interesting dual types and the other one to just be stuck with Water, right? Just my thoughts.

You may be on something there...very interesting. I hope it's true!

Though I want Water/Psychic oh well, maybe next time. ;)

don()shinobi said:
Mitja said:

*facepalm*

RIGHT, my bad xDDD

It cant be a Fighting move either... it could be Poison, but I seriously doubt that too.
A Ground type scratching attack? Or Bug? No that'd be resisted ......

I mean it does the same sound as the Flamethrower on Munchlax, right??
While the SE do not make that sound.

I really think we might be getting that Dark/Psychic/Fighting foil we've been asking for.

Mitja said:
It cant be a Fighting move either... it could be Poison, but I seriously doubt that too.
A Ground type scratching attack? Or Bug? No that'd be resisted ...

Beware...
New types...they are coming.

GAHHHHHHH FENNEKIN IS SOO CUTE. Froakie is whatever, and Chespin will take some adjusting to for me. I can't wait

Also, what are people's predictions on what these guys are gonna evolve into?

My guesses:
Grass/Dark, Pangolin or Rabbit based, Robin Hood inspired, focusing on its hat and ears
Fire/Psychic, Still a Fox, are there any other myths/legends about foxes?, focusing on its ears and tail.
Water/Fighting, bearded/horned Toad, again no idea, focusing on its collar thing and feet

I want Fennekin or Chespin, but Froakie is just weird. Maybe I'll decide when I see the evos, but Froakie is something I would use just to be funny.

Man I really hope the frog becomes dual Flying. I can totally imagine it looking like one of the wind Gods from LOZ: Windwaker.

Fox is neat. I hope they play on the desert theme and make it part Rock or Ground type. I also hope GF does a 180 with the design and turns it into a flaming badass with slathering fangs and murder for eyes. It's boring when cute transitions to cute.

The hedgehog's got a ton of potential. I'm rooting for dual Steel with those spikes, but really any sub-typing that's not Poison looks good on Grass.

These starters are probably the best since gen 1, and even for those I'm wearing the nostalgia monocle.

Back