What Color is This Dress?

Oreo9238

If you like music, I like you.
I know this has gone completely viral and chances are that almost everyone here will have seen this. What color is this dress? Opinions can be posted in this thread, arguments and more should go on in PMs.

1425008415925855.jpg

This is the single most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on the internet. Completely pointless.
http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

Let's get one thing straight. The dress itself IS blue and black. Feel free to say what you see, but don't try to argue what color it actually is.

We know that the dress is blue and black. Photos on shopping websites like Amazon show us that. The picture itself is taken so that most people see it as white and gold. It's weird...
BTW, I see it as blue and black. I don't understand how others can see it as white and gold. :p

Oreo9238 said:
We know that the dress is blue and black.

After being bombarded across the internet with dumb arguments about what color it actually is, I figured the point had better be made first.

I personally have never seen the dress as white and gold. THe lightest I've seen is a pale blue and a yellow light shining on black glossy stuff.

It's black and blue.

wM4G9Gw.png

With the original in the middle, the top image is desaturated and the bottom image is supersaturated. It's an optical illusion, and is fully dependent on how you interpret the light. If you see it as a white & gold dress, then you're assuming the light is blue-ish. If you see it as a blue & black dress, you're assuming the light is yellow-ish (this is more likely the real situation, so the dress is probably blue and black).

Enlyten said:
It's black and blue.

wM4G9Gw.png

With the original in the middle, the top image is desaturated and the bottom image is supersaturated. It's an optical illusion, and is fully dependent on how you interpret the light. If you see it as a white & gold dress, then you're assuming the light is blue-ish. If you see it as a blue & black dress, you're assuming the light is yellow-ish (this is more likely the real situation, so the dress is probably blue and black).

Optical illusion? I thought the color changes depending on the light. I saw three pictures of the dress side-by-side, and all 3 were different colors. I'm really confused on how this dress actually works.

It's not about how the dress works, it's about how our eyes work. Our eyes tend to filter colours based on the light of our environments.

steffenka said:
At first I saw it as white and gold, but now I see it as blue and black :/

Yeah, some people see it differently at different times.

Oreo9238 said:
I know this has gone completely viral and chances are that almost everyone here will have seen this. What color is this dress? Opinions can be posted in this thread, arguments and more should go on in PMs.

1425008415925855.jpg

Guess no one has anything better to do than argue over the color of a dress? lol... I think it's pointless when we already know what it is.

Patriots Fan said:
Oreo9238 said:

1425008415925855.jpg

Guess no one has anything better to do than argue over the color of a dress? lol... I think it's pointless when we already know what it is.

While it is true that we already know the actual color of the dress (blue and black), it's interesting to discuss the optical illusion created by the image and share our different experiences of viewing it.

As for myself, I see the dress in the picture normally as white and gold. However, if I decrease the brightness of whatever device I'm using and rotate the screen (as crazy as it all sounds), the dress becomes blue and black to me. I've consulted a number of family members and classmates about what colors they see, and everyone seems to fall into one of three categories:

- Those who see blue/black
- Those who see white/gold
- Those who see both combinations just by looking at it normally

Most of the people who see white/gold are able to see blue/black using the method I described, but nearly all of the people who see blue/black originally have no way of seeing white/gold.

Additionally, the webcomic xkcd released a comic last Friday about the dress that provides two views of the same color, with different-colored backgrounds to create the illusion of the two combinations:

dress_color.png
The comic is intended to allow viewers to see both combinations at the same time, which I'm able to. But after sharing the comic with the same groups of people, most of the blue/black crowd could only see blue/black on both of the dresses, while the white/gold crowd could see both combinations. Why was this the case? I don't have any definite answer, but I'm sure that there's an explanation relating to the existing one for the original dress.

All in all, it's far from pointless.

Athena said:
It's not about how the dress works, it's about how our eyes work. Our eyes tend to filter colours based on the light of our environments.

Exactly. That's how I should have phrased it. Because our brain selects the color of the dress in part due to the surrounding light, two schools of thought can be taken. One where the surrounding light is assumed to be yellow, so the dress is perceived to be blue and black when the yellow tint from the lighting is subtracted in your mind (to conclude the color). The other being the surrounding light is assumed to the blue and the dress is perceived to be gold and white when the blue tint from the lighting is subtracted. If you're able to flick that switch between assuming the light is blue-ish or yellowish then you can see it both ways.

This dress IS blue and black. This has been on social media for the last 2 weeks or so and I watch a show on TV called the Insider entertainment show and they confirmed that it is blue and black as well. Under certain types of light it may show up other than blue and black but it is Blue and Black for sure.:)

Yes, of course, the dress is in fact black and blue; that was discovered a few hours before the picture went viral, and it isn't news at all.

But then, if you have any kind of an inquisitive mind, instead of saying "lol this is like super pointless, why discuss it", you would notice that it still went viral, despite having a clear answer anyone could point to. This should have reasonably stopped before starting, but it didn't.

Why? because it was never about the colour of the dress, but how you see it, and how attached you are to the way, your particular way, of seeing that dress. It was never about reality, but about perception; your perception, and how it sometimes it clashes with others's, even in such a simple, basic thing as the colour a dress seems to have.

Now look at the big picture; all of humanity's existence has been one long, continuous strand of disagreements, of fighting for different ways to view the world, or rather, for defending your way to view the world, or attack others's. The jewish exodus, christianity's rise to power, the crusades, WWI, WWII, the war on terror, there are so many to count, and I'm only including these so you can realize what is the meaning of this; this dress not only proved that humans can automatically colour correct images (just like a camera does), but in completely different ways, but it was also a glimpse on why humans fight each other, and have always fought each other, not to mention it showed how reality itself is merely a construct of your senses, argument already brought forth by goddamn socrates/plato in ancient greece, and now made completely provable and simple to the general public, and overall, a perfect example of how deep difference of opinion cuts in humanity's collective conscious; for more than two days, people all over the world argued "I see it white and gold" "but it IS black and blue, like I see it, so I'm right" "Yes, but I still see it white and gold" "uh, guys, I see it white and blue" "YOU! shut up!" "Ha! I can see it both ways" "Well, look at mr. important here. Choose a side, sophie" "I see it yellow and brown, guys" "shut up, you're colourblind, jason.". Everyone held their view of the dress as the True One, as you would hold your god, or your choice on designer bags, while everyone missed the point that they don't need to argue over it, because everyone was right; the dress, or rather the image of the dress (and the real dress is, to you, still an image, a sensory image) is, to you, the colour you see it, which may match or not with how others see it, and overall, you don't need to understand, just to accept.

I actually consider the fact that there hasn't been any discussion here more worrying than if it had been a big argument, because it didn't stem from understanding, but out not seeing the big picture, of not drawing your own conclusions, and not analyzing things.

Because if you had, you would have seen that the dress is so obviously white and gold, people.

What it looks like to me is someone took the photo of the dress then edited the blue to be white and the black to be gold. Then they claimed it to be white and gold posted it online and now everyone is freaking out over it.

Guys it is BLUE AND BLACK. Someone please LOCK this thread.:)

Use your imagination for a moment. Let's say that it wasn't common knowledge that the dress is, in fact, black and blue. Let's just say that it was a random picture you saw posted here; would those of you that are now determined that they see black and blue still think like this? Or maybe, without the pressure of the knowledge that the dress is black and blue, you would see something else? The dress can be seen as white and gold, of that there is no doubt, unless you wanna call a good number of people colorblind (and it would still be extremely suspicious that all those poor-sighted people saw the same color combination). Yet there are those who are adamant that the dress is black and blue. Well, yeah, you know it already. What if you didn't though?

The moment the real color of the dress became public knowledge was the very moment that people saying "It's definitely black and blue." began appearing en masse. Because nobody wants to be on the wrong side. In the case the color was known only to the one who posted the image, you would have seen a much larger amount of people who saw it as something different than black and blue. Because in that case there would be no absolute right or absolute wrong, but simply the way you see it.

xxashxx said:
What it looks like to me is someone took the photo of the dress then edited the blue to be white and the black to be gold. Then they claimed it to be white and gold posted it online and now everyone is freaking out over it.

Guys it is BLUE AND BLACK. Someone please LOCK this thread.:)

No one edited the picture of the dress; it is the same original picture that has been circulated around on the internet all this time. If it really was edited, then everyone would just see it as white and gold and you wouldn't have the disparity in responses. The point is, different people view it as the two different combinations due to the brain's interpretation of the color of the light surrounding the dress. As others have stated before me, everyone knows that the actual, physical dress that had a picture of it taken is black and blue. This is a commonly known fact, and no one is arguing about what the physical color of the dress is. It's all about the picture and how it creates an optical illusion. If anyone claims otherwise, it is because they either do not understand the concept behind the picture or are simply being sarcastic (as it is in professorlight's case).

No need to lock the thread because other people see the picture differently, that would be ridiculous.

This is the dumbest thing to hit the internet. It's a photo of a dress taken in poor lighting with a bad camera. Move on with it.

Back