Pokemon What are some of the worst Pokémon names, what makes them so awful, and what should they be?

AdamLambert

Aspiring Potato
In your opinion, what are some of the worst Pokémon names, and what makes them so awful? What do you think they should be?

Please don't just write:

"Volbeat" or
"Hariyama's name sux"

Please make this a constructive discussion and give reasons. Thanks! :D

RE: In your opinion, what are some of the worst Pokémon names, and what makes them so awful? What do you think they should be?

I think most Pokemon names are ok. The only one I really have an issue with is "Seel", because it's just... seal. There's not even any relevant pun with the spelling as far as I can tell.

"Throh" and "Sawk" seemed really dumb at first but I've gotten used to them.

RE: In your opinion, what are some of the worst Pokémon names, and what makes them so awful? What do you think they should be?

I like Volbeat. :(
Though, TBH when I first heard it, I thought it was a part of the Voltorb line (RSE dex placed them together).

Amoonguss
Virizions' pronunciation
Half of the vowels in Cobalions' pronunciation
Klinks pronunciation (Kleenk, I theenk)
No-one put an accent in Illumisé and Hydrégons names.
All the official pronunciations of Hydrégon just say the é as y
The "ba" in Bagon is said like "bay".
Too much stress is put on the "buh" bit of Buneary, instead of "bun"
No-one can seem to say "gant" in Lilligant.

Other than a lot of mispronunciations of Pokémon names (instead of looking up the origin of the names), I find most things quite good.

I didn't like most of the Pokemon from DP, but the one I dislike the most would have to be "Purugly". Just name it Muta. Also would have to be Lickilicky, Lopunny, and Combee.

I do like the names Gallade and Eevee, Gallade sounds like a fighter's name, and Eevee's name really fits its character.

Blob55 said:
[...]
Other than a lot of mispronunciations of Pokémon names (instead of looking up the origin of the names), I find most things quite good.

Well, you should just look up the origin of the name of Hydreigon. His whole evolution line has german numbers in its english names:
Deino - "ein" is german for one.
Zweilous - "zwei" is german for two.
Hydreigon - "drei" is german for three.
An accent on this name would be really out of place. In german, only on foreign words (like some french ones) they are used. Also, the pronounciation "dry" fits the german speaking very good.
As of Illumise, while I don't know which language was the origin for it (english or french), bulba says english, which would also feature no accent. But I'm not sure about Illumise, just about Hydreigon ;)

Lickilicky.
Seriously, it puts images in my head that should never be seen. EVER.
Make it anything, just not that onomotapeia, please!

lol Lickilicky.

Plusle and Minun seemed idiotic. I would actually like Plusrat and Minusrat better lol.

For rather obvious reasons, I hate Cofagrigus's name. I know it's pronounced fine, but the spelling is not fun.
I also don't really like Makuhita and Hariyama. The names just don't make sense to me.
(Rather interesting side note: Years ago, I had a weird Pokemon computer game and called Hariyama "He.")

Blob55 said:
I like Volbeat. :(
Though, TBH when I first heard it, I thought it was a part of the Voltorb line (RSE dex placed them together).

Amoonguss
Virizions' pronunciation
Half of the vowels in Cobalions' pronunciation
Klinks pronunciation (Kleenk, I theenk)
The "ba" in Bagon is said like "bay".
Too much stress is put on the "buh" bit of Buneary, instead of "bun"
No-one can seem to say "gant" in Lilligant.

Lol, I find nothing wrong with Volbeat's name either. I just chose two random Pokémon.

I know a lot of people who hate the name Oshawott. I think it's a cute name. I never liked the name Alomomola. I personally have no trouble saying it, but when i have to hear other people attempt to say it... well yeah.

I also don't like Alomomola. Every time I try to pronounce it, I just wind up saying "Alomoblablablugh". (I can pronounce it right, it's just funnier the way I say it)

I hate obvious compound word names that seem to me they took five seconds to create. I do like clever ones like Heatran (Heat transfer), but obvious Garbodor and Vanilluxe is obvious.

shitzon said:
Blob55 said:
[...]

Well, you should just look up the origin of the name of Hydreigon. His whole evolution line has german numbers in its english names:
Deino - "ein" is german for one.
Zweilous - "zwei" is german for two.
Hydreigon - "drei" is german for three.
An accent on this name would be really out of place. In german, only on foreign words (like some french ones) they are used. Also, the pronounciation "dry" fits the german speaking very good.
As of Illumise, while I don't know which language was the origin for it (english or french), bulba says english, which would also feature no accent. But I'm not sure about Illumise, just about Hydreigon ;)

In the Animé, they do say Hydreigon as High-dray-gon.
Illumise is Illumisé, because it comes from Illuminate and it just has the "a" as an accented "e".

Blob55 said:
In the Animé, they do say Hydreigon as High-dray-gon.
Illumise is Illumisé, because it comes from Illuminate and it just has the "a" as an accented "e".

"dray" is still closer to "drei" than "dré" xD At least, when "dré" is pronounced the french way, it is completely wrong. (I guess that's the pronunciation you're referring to.)
Illumise seems debatable, yeah, but like I say, I don't know about that one ^^

blargh257 said:
I also don't really like Makuhita and Hariyama. The names just don't make sense to me.

They're based on sumo wrestlers. Makes sense to have their english names derived from their japanese names...

Seismitoad537 said:
I don't like Excadrill's name..I wish it was just Exadrill. It sounds much smoother in my opinion

It's from excavate and drill, so it makes sense that it's Excadrill.

Back