Finished Werewolf XXXIV - The Great Turf War! - Game Over! - Octavios Take the Prize!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well SS, we got bodied. GG everyone!

I do think the game had its flaws, but it's probably the best ProBoards can get. The biggest issue with the game was the complete lack of anything to actually talk about during the day.

Haha called it!

I spent the whole game trying to work out my team! I figured princess was Bb early on, and you were my guess for the professor!

Didn't call scattered though! Haha!

Well played @quakingpunch73
With the game situation as it was I knew it was very risky to trust you, buuuut, whatevs we were doomed either way.

I lold at barrell roll trying to get me to lynch the professor, I told him I would help him out sure thing :p

Yeah.... I think the voting analysis and the squid girl chat attributed to our success. Take night 2 for example. After looking at votes, we decided that killing Sumia and Princess (KX and bb) would be the best. We then tricked KX into targeting Dos, who used their special to do 90 damage to KX. Robin then did ten to KX and bb, who was at 90 from the previous night, killing both of them. Was there a deadchat, for any of you who died?
You would've noticed, TGK, that I tried a bit of analysis early on, though got killed before I could do much important stuff. Anyways, I did lie about taking 90 damage - I actually took 75 or something originally. Then I got hit for a full 90 afterwards, lol.

@hosts could we have the deadchat link?
The deadchat is the Graveyard forum on the ProBoards; it may not be opened to everyone just yet, but it should be.

Aaaanyways, here's the girl chat: http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/Rd6qkkZpyXzw

I'll give my full thoughts later on.

You would've noticed, TGK, that I tried a bit of analysis early on, though got killed before I could do much important stuff. Anyways, I did lie about taking 90 damage - I actually took 75 or something originally. Then I got hit for a full 90 afterwards, lol.
you took 70 damage. The splash wall was the only thing keeping you alive for an extra day, IIRC.

Fun Fact: I didn't target dos as I didn't have enough ink so I had dogger attack him and bb for me, the only thing I did was use my weapon's counter ability. PP explained my death and that I was essentially killed by counterdamage from everywhere.

I also shared the girl chat with my team day one or two, not sure if they did anything with it though.

Postgame is going to go up in four parts, with each of the parts focusing on a game mechanic, some weapons as well as a team analysis.

My postgames are designed to really just be my thoughts with a bit of interactivity in them, so please feel free to involve yourself with it.

Postgame Part 1: OC and Team Judd

OC is my absolute favorite mafia mechanic and I love to use it whenever I can. Mafia is a game that relies on communication, which is why activity is so essential. Giving players another way to communicate can really change with the game. It creates opportunities to talk with players that wouldn't normally be possible, such as with the Girls Chat that we saw and how totally dominate it came to be. I love having roles where I can talk with other people, because I will readily admit to not being as good at this game as people give me credit for, and having another person to strategize with helps me out immensely.

That said, I don't think OC was used terribly well in this game. I have a feeling that despite my best intentions to create opportunities for players to communicate with each other (shoutbox, PMs, quicktopic), very few players actually did. I think the alias system was counterproductive to OC and made OC more difficult than it needed to be, which I hinted at in the graveyard. Other than the girls chat and the Octavio QT (which doesn't really count), I'm not aware of any other OC opportunities.

So question for the players
: Did you use OC? Why/Why not? Would you use it in future games?

Now, regarding the weapons. Each main weapon existed twice to allow for different combinations. I'll go into the design choices behind the weapons in a future update, but here is each weapon kit. Every weapon except for the Splattershot had a unique effect, which I'll go over later.
  • Splattershot - Burst Bomb & Burst Bomb Rush
  • Melon Splattershot - Suction Bomb & Inkzooka
  • Splat Roller - Suction Bomb & Killer Wail
  • Splat Roller Deco - Point Sensor & Kraken
  • Splat Charger - Splat Bomb & Splat Bomb Rush
  • Zink Splat Charger - Splash Wall & Bubbler
  • Slosher - Burst Bomb & Inkstrike
  • Berry Slosher - Point Sensor & Inkzooka
  • Heavy Splatling - Splash Wall & Inkstrike
  • Lime Heavy Splatling - Seeker & Echolocator
  • Inkbrush - Sprinkler & Inkstrike
  • Fresh Inkbrush - Splash Wall & Bubbler
  • Blaster - Disruptor & Killer Wail
  • Classic Blaster - Squid Beakon & Kraken
  • Tri-Slosher - Disruptor & Bubbler
  • Tri-Slosher Deco - Suction Bomb & Suction Bomb Rush
  • Sloshing Machine - Splat Bomb & Splat Bomb Rush
  • Sloshing Machine Retro - Ink Mine & Bubbler
  • E Litre 3K Scope - Burst Bomb & Echolocator
  • E Litre 3K Scope Neo - Point Sensor & Inkstrike
  • L-3 Nozzlenose - Disruptor & Killer Wail
  • L-3 Nozzlenose Nitro - Seeker & Bubbler
  • Dynamo Roller - Sprinker & Echolocator
  • Tomato Dynamo Roller - Ink Mine & Killer Wail
  • Octobrush - Squid Beakon & Kraken
  • Spicy Octobrush - Seeker & Seeker Rush
  • Splattershot Jr. - Splat Bomb & Bubbler
  • Dolphin Splattershot Jr. - Splash Wall & Echolocator

And Team Judd:

@PikaMasterJesi as ROLLER SKATING CHICKEN!

Jesi fits every new Mafia player stereotype to a T in that she's really excitable and loves to post and talk a lot. This ended up being her downfall as she was quickly targetted by half the game on Night 1. Jesi is perfect example of why the alias system is so interesting: people wouldn't have splatted her if they knew it was her, because she's new and doesn't know much. So the alias system transformed Jesi into a threat, at least in my eyes, because she didn't have the label of new player anymore.

PP awards you with the Silver Snakoo for Best Mafia Newcomer!.

@Luispipe8 as SAMUS IS A WOMAN?!

Being the last Judd standing after Night 2, I have to applaud Luis for sticking to it and not surrendering, even though he had to have known that the chance of him winning was astronomical. He didn't really do a lot other than stay hidden, which helped him survive and fairly typical for his meta. Well done man!

PP awards you with the Silver Snakoo for Best Sportsmanship!.

@GM DracLord as New Age Retro Hippie

So Drac got killed hard by the alias system. Normally he's inactive and doesn't post much and we excuse him for it due to being Drac and unreadable. This didn't really work here and likely was the reason he got ganged up on so fast. He pretty much disappeared after he died too, so I really don't have much to say about him.

PP awards you with the Silver Snakoo for Best Mysterious Player!

@Ice Espeon as Butt Butt and Shield Butt

"Wait, IE was playing?"

You signed up, picked a weapon, confirmed your roll and did nothing else.

Let it be known that PP has zero tolerance for inactivity. That said, everyone gets an award this time so...

PP awards you with the Silver Snakoo for Best Inactivity!.

Stay tuned for Part 2, where I weigh in on ProBoards and aliases. If there's anything you want me to talk about in the postgame, let me know!

@Luispipe8 as SAMUS IS A WOMAN?!

Being the last Judd standing after Night 2, I have to applaud Luis for sticking to it and not surrendering, even though he had to have known that the chance of him winning was astronomical. He didn't really do a lot other than stay hidden, which helped him survive and fairly typical for his meta. Well done man!

ty, ty, though you forgot my logical discussions in the girls' chat. xD I'm sorta surprised nobody pinned me as Jesi's mate then.

People have been saying I'm a pretty good player, but I'm curious to hear exactly what I'm doing to be that way. Also, I guess I do fit the stereotype a bit, because it's a bit of how I am IRL. I like to talk and I can get pretty hyped.

Also, hey, I got a Silver Snakoo! I know everyone gets one, but thanks and good game!

By the way you guys got lucky, since half my team died on Cycle 1 alone.

So question for the players: Did you use OC? Why/Why not? Would you use it in future games?
I set up the girl chat and also sent OC to simsands (Barrel Roll) after incorrectly predicting they were Kirby's partner. Whoops.
But, yes, I would like to OC in future games. I feel like there wasn't much of a reason to use OC in this game, as there wasn't really information nor a common interest floating around. I think these are the main reasons one would use OC in a mafia game - to create plans and share information without the mafia knowing about them. I think the nature of this game made OC not particularly useful.

Anyways, this is a good time to post my thoughts on the game in general. I thought it was good, but not all the mechanics fitted together smoothly. I'd see this game more experimental and something to definitely look back at and consider for future game designs.

In regards to alias... I, like most, really enjoyed them. I think they were a nice touch and allowed for some players to really shine. I would not, however, want to see this mechanic all the time as to not lose its appeal. Furthermore, the reliance it has on ProBoards seems to be a bit problematic.

That does bring me to ProBoards. I noticed that multiple people said that ProBoards inpacted activity. I disagree, to an extent. I think the lack of activity was the result of their being no common goal. Often it was advantageous to discuss among teams rather than as a group. I think the split discussion threads also were significant in dropping activity, as less people to contribute makes less discussion. I don't think the game being on ProBoards caused the lack of activity, rather these factors listed above. That said, I would like a break from ProBoards for a while. :p

I think I posted a few more thoughts in the graveyard chat, but this is the stuff I can remember now. :p

I used OC with the girls (duh) but also with barrell roll when he tried to get me to lynch professor.

I almost used it to message Wario after I thought he was being bussed by his team, but then I had to go to church so didn't get time... Haha

I set up the girl chat and also sent OC to simsands (Barrel Roll) after incorrectly predicting they were Kirby's partner. Whoops.
But, yes, I would like to OC in future games. I feel like there wasn't much of a reason to use OC in this game, as there wasn't really information nor a common interest floating around. I think these are the main reasons one would use OC in a mafia game - to create plans and share information without the mafia knowing about them. I think the nature of this game made OC not particularly useful.

Anyways, this is a good time to post my thoughts on the game in general. I thought it was good, but not all the mechanics fitted together smoothly. I'd see this game more experimental and something to definitely look back at and consider for future game designs.

In regards to alias... I, like most, really enjoyed them. I think they were a nice touch and allowed for some players to really shine. I would not, however, want to see this mechanic all the time as to not lose its appeal. Furthermore, the reliance it has on ProBoards seems to be a bit problematic.

That does bring me to ProBoards. I noticed that multiple people said that ProBoards inpacted activity. I disagree, to an extent. I think the lack of activity was the result of their being no common goal. Often it was advantageous to discuss among teams rather than as a group. I think the split discussion threads also were significant in dropping activity, as less people to contribute makes less discussion. I don't think the game being on ProBoards caused the lack of activity, rather these factors listed above. That said, I would like a break from ProBoards for a while. :p

I think I posted a few more thoughts in the graveyard chat, but this is the stuff I can remember now. :p

Hey, we were partners :p

Only thing was, we already knew what was going on since it was our plan from the start.

I did do a bit of OC myself. I sent a few messages to players fishing for information. That's, for example, how we knew from D1 that bbninjas and Squirtle Squad were part of Marie/Callie.

I think OC was kind of counter-productive to the game. Each team had to take a different team prisoner at the end of the game, so there was basically no reason for us to talk to other teams using OC.

I started as Reyn Time.

An issue I found with the game was the pacing. I often found myself waiting for the phase to end. I definitely could have seen the day/night cycle shortened a bit.

We did need a bit of humour though, not going to lie :p

Glad I could help ;)

Truth be told, I was almost certain that you two were both part of Team Marie and was trying to confirm my beliefs, so naturally, I had to claim being part of your team and tell you to lynch each other :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back