Finished Werewolf XXXIV - The Great Turf War! - Game Over! - Octavios Take the Prize!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross post for visibility:

Mind as well give some thoughts:
>I enjoy multiball a lot but this didn't feel like werewolf. I've played in a multiball similar to this that was extremely well designed. It had the same four factions and similar mechanics however roles and win conditions were designed in a way that encouraged discussion and serious thought. I think the lack of unique roles and winconditions hurt this game a lot.
>This game seemed like it had too many mechanics. It didn't need to be an anon game, have OC, have items, have "dimensions", and be multiball.
>We need to shift away from proboards. It alienates new players and activity is abysmal.

Come to think of it, we didn't actually have any first-timers playing in this... I wanted my friend to sign up, but I forgot about not telling people you were playing and he wasn't able to sign up in time anyways.

Here's my thoughts about the game:

I do have a few issues with OC in general, mainly that OC games are more difficult to read through after they'd happened, but I'm not talking about that. In the current game, the combination of it being Multi-ball (and thus everyone having partners to talk to) rendered OC mostly useless. I, for one, went the entire game without OC until SS invited me to the girl chat for the final moments of the game. In the end, OC is like sprinkles on an Ice Cream: It's tasty, sure, but it's unnecessary.

Multi-ball was my favourite feature in the game. Unfortunately, it did step on some other features' toes a bit, but it really was fun. Trying to predict who was who and sided with who was a blast, and it added a level of depth that I just loved. Unfortunately, my biggest (constant) complaint about the game stemmed from multi-ball: most of the game, especially in the early days, is complete RVS. While there was some depth to be had analysing vote weights, it was still mostly RVS, and not being able to scumhunt also hurt the activity of the game.

Is it cool to divide your game in half? Sure, it is. Does it work? Barely, though that's not the fault of the idea itself. While it worked much better here than in Dimensional shift due to not lending the scumteam an extreme advantage, in did have one of the same problems as the last time. The feature itself is almost completely unneeded and only serves as a way to make your game more complex and different. Differentiating your game isn't a bad thing, but the idea itself gives the scumteam an unfair advantage of being able to see both threads at once and lowers activity levels. Combine those with being limited to the ProBoards, and the feature just can't work.

Also, I don't want to be that guy, but can we please stop using ProBoards? It causes ridiculous inactivity and causes a rift between new players and old players. Mia, the one new player who played in Dimensional Shift, absolutely hated it and will only play if she owes me a favour (very rare), and we didn't get a single new player this time around. If we use it in a game again, I'd wager there would be a few people (myself included) who would sit it out, and the whole thing is tedious and annoying to use.

This was a cool feature, not going to lie, and it removed metareading entirely, which would have been great if the game was town vs scum, but since it was multi-ball, metareading wasn't a factor anyways.

Ultimately, I feel like the game struggled by trying to do too much; some of the features could have been taken out and the game would have gone just as well (or better, if you took out ProBoards. The game ran much better than I thought it would, so credit for that, but it had a lot of problems.

Postgame Part 2: Proboards, Aliases and Team Callie

Time for the elephant in the room: ProBoards.

The game didn't really start off as a ProBoards game. However, once we decided to use ProBoards, we felt the need to justify using it. So our game was designed to show off all of the features that ProBoards brings to mafia. As a result, I agree with the overall majority that I was overachieving too much with the game and it's a mistake that you won't see in future games of mine.

I'm glad the alias system was so well received because it's something I've wanted to see here for a long time. I hope other hosts will think about using it in the future because it has a lot of potential here, especially because our community uses metareads a lot.

However, aliases necessitate ProBoards (unless we can make alias accounts on here which would be awesome, but super unlikely) and ProBoards is a game mechanic I'm less in favor of after seeing it on the host end. The lack of activity was so bad that there were multiple times I felt like cancelling the game because no one was posting. I think it's important to acknowledge the advantages ProBoards brings to mafia and I don't think it's a mechanic we need to abandon. However, ProBoards, as is the case with all game mechanics, has its fair share of consequences. I think a game designed to use ProBoards with roles designed around it, could work really well. However, that will take a lot of hosting creativity which makes sense. It's a new mechanic here and only time will tell if we are able to use it adequately.

Here are the main weapons:

This is a Splattershot. Each night, you may fire it for 25 damage. Each time you fire the weapon, you will lose 40 ink points.

---

This is a Splat Roller. Each night, you may fire it for 25 damage. Or, you may arm yourself with it and deal 15 damage to anyone that visits you. Either way, you will lost 45 ink points per use of the weapon.

---

This is a Splat Charger. Each night, you may fire it for 20 damage. If you didn’t vote during the previous day, your attacks will do 20 more damage. Either way, you will lose 40 ink pints firing this weapon.

---

This is a Slosher. Each night, you may fire it for 20 damage. This attack damage pierces some defenses. Using this weapon will cost 40 ink points.

---

This is a Heavy Splatling. Each night, you may fire it for 20 damage. If you didn’t vote during the previous day, you may hit a second inkling for 20 damage. Each night that you use this weapon will cost 40 ink points.

---

This is an Inkbrush. Each night, you may fire it for 10 damage. If you land the final hit to splat someone, their team alignment will not be posted on their flip. Using this weapon will cost 20 ink points.

---

This is a Blaster. Each night, you may fire it for 30 damage. If your target visits you during the night, your attack will do 60 damage instead. Either way, each use of this weapon will cost you 55 ink points.

---

This is a Tri-Slosher. Each night, you may fire it for 10 damage to everyone that visits you during the night. Each use of this weapon will cost you 25 ink points.

---

This is a Sloshing Machine. Each night, you may fire it for 15 damage. If your target visits you during the night, your attack will do 30 damage instead. Your attacks pierce some defenses. Each use of this weapon will cost you 40 ink points.

---

This is an E-Litre 3K Scope. Each night, you may fire it for 35 damage. If your target survives the night, you will see who they visited during the night. Using this weapon will cost 45 ink points.

---

This is an L-3 Nozzlenose. Each night, you may fire it at 3 Inklings for 10 damage each. You must choose 3 different targets. Each night using this weapon will cost 35 ink points.

---

This is a Dynamo Roller. Each night, you may fire it for 35 damage. Or, you may fling ink at another Inkling, and hit every one else who targets that Inkling for 15 damage (you will not attack your target Inkling). Either way, using this weapon will cost 60 ink points.

---

This is an Octobrush. Each night, you may fire it for 15 damage. If you land the final blow, you will alter the victim’s role PM to reveal the wrong alignment on their flip. Using this weapon will cost 25 ink points.

---

This is a Splattershot Jr. Each night, you may fire it for 15 damage. If you are killed, you will reveal the identities and alignments of everyone who shot you during your final night alive. Using this weapon will cost 25 ink points.

And Team Callie analysis:

@Skyleaf2000 as YARN YOSHI'S CHEWED ON FOOT

Sky is new and trying to figure the game out, and I think the game mechanics actually helped her out because she had people to work with and help her out. Aliases didn't really disguise her new-ness because she wasn't really active. I felt bad for modkilling her because she was actively trying to post more and I have to applaud her for not spamming in her team chat to raise her post count.

PP awards you the Silver Snakoo for Best Integrity!.

@xDoggerx as WARIO'S SMOOTH MOVES

dogger was the only reason the game had Day 4. It was entirely possible for him to win if the lynch was pushed to one of the Maries, because both Callie and Octavio needed to splat the Maries. I was really hoping that there was a comeback and underdog victory for him, and I think he played really well. He's still pretty new and I think the aliases benefited him as well. Thanks for playing; you're really good!

PP awards you the Silver Snakoo for Best Underdog!.

@King Xerneas as SUMIA'S PIES

KX is really good at mafia and I think the game showed that. He's smart and had a really solid plan, although he totally fell victim to the girls chat and bbninjas. His death was amazing due to how counterattacks interacted with each other.

PP awards you the Silver Snakoo for Best Death!.

@Camoclone as CRANKY KONG'S CHILDHOOD

The second I saw Camo trying to hide as a foreign newcomer, I felt justified in including the alias system. Camo was hilarious and he stayed in disguise really well as well. The total reaction to his death was PRICELESS because no one would've guessed that he was Camo. Thank you for involving yourself with the game mechanic so well!

PP awards you the Silver Snakoo for Most Hilarious Player!.

First I got lynched in about 20 minutes, and then I get demolished solely through counterattacks. I'm starting to think I'm going to have a long streak of flashy deaths for a while.

@Professor Palutena I pretty much lost interest to continue checking in for 2 obvious reason

1. Dying early meant I don't have the time to experience the setup hence can't really get the interest builing. (That and the way I was ganged up upon)
2. I moved to another house which don't have internet yet (need to depend on my mobile data which I like to save). Plus It's on another site. Since I'm working, I didn't open that site from my work computer.

I was kinda want to get involved more and look less inactive but my effort kinda got wasted since I got discovered.
Sometimes it's funny the reason you guys found out about me is through my bad grammar.
In my studies I actually excel in english. I got top grade for it in my highschool exam among the math subjects and I actually studying all papers in english for my university level exams.

Sometimes it's funny the reason you guys found out about me is through my bad grammar.
In my studies I actually excel in english. I got top grade for it in my highschool exam among the math subjects and I actually studying all papers in english for my university level exams.

I would say your grammar is bad - it's more unique to you and easy to pinpoint compared to the majority of other players. I believe it's not the first time this has been your downfall, though... Harry Potter rings a bell.

I would say your grammar is bad - it's more unique to you and easy to pinpoint compared to the majority of other players. I believe it's not the first time this has been your downfall, though... Harry Potter rings a bell.
Probably since my grammar got really mixed between learning using a UK english, but keep watching all those US(mostly) tv series (which hardly care about grammar)

However, aliases necessitate ProBoards (unless we can make alias accounts on here which would be awesome, but super unlikely).

On my other main Mafia/WW forum, we do an alias game once every couple years or so. The accounts used are made and maintained by the forum admin who keeps track of all the usernames/passwords and doles them out when appropriate. The games themselves are hosted in a special subforum used only for those games, and the alias accounts have very locked down permissions so they can only participate in the subforum. At the end of the game, everyone gets to guess which regular member is which alias account, which is also fun.

As a system, it has its pros and cons. It's nice that everything is all in one place, and people are familiar with the forum setup, and spectators can read along easily. We also often have an OC thread for people to chat using their alias accounts. The main downside, however, is that the games still end up being somewhat activity low, as it's kind of a pain to sign out from your "main" PB account to switch over to an alias, and so people are less likely to participate as actively. It's also not uncommon for people to spend more focus on meta reasoning for things, trying to figure out who is who by posting times and such ("Ohhey, BB was just making a bunch of TCG posts and then he just signed off and now XYZ is posting in game, hmmm...") which can detract from the game itself.

We could theoretically create a system like this here on PB and I would be willing to make the accounts/subforum and handle all the administration stuff, but it would need approval and oversight from SR, and I'm not sure that's really a priority right now. That said, it might be something to investigate for a special occasion in the future.

We won? I guess I'm a BIT slow. Anyway congrats team! <3 I'm not going to take credit, my role was way too passive and easy :p

It was fun though, I joked about making it to Night 2 when I subbed in. But guess what, my own team was trying vote me (robin) out of the game. Before I was even in the game... Like I ever say bae!

PP, is Postgame 3 coming soon?
I'm working 50+ hours a week now (the game literally ended the day before I started work) in addition to ~15 hours of regular volunteering, so I'm only really at home for around 2 hours a week.

I haven't forgotten, but it's not going to come as fast as you might want.

However, here are the remaining weapon PMs in case the postgame takes longer than I want.

This weapon has Splat Bombs. Each night, you may throw one at someone for 35 damage. Each use will cost 55 ink points.

---

This weapon has Burst Bombs. Each night, you may throw one at someone for 20 damage. Each use will cost 40 ink points.

---

This weapon has Suction Bombs. Each night, you may throw one at someone for 25 damage. If your target submits no action, this weapon will do 45 damage instead. Regardless, each use will cost 55 ink points.

---

This weapon has Point Sensors. Each night, you may throw one at someone. You will see who that person visits during the night. Each use will cost 20 ink points.

---

This weapon has Disruptors. Each night, you may throw one at someone. You will reduce all damage their weapons deal by 5. Each use will cost 20 ink points.

---

This weapon has Splash Walls. Each night, you may throw one at someone. The wall will absorb the first 30 damage that player takes during that night. Each use will cost 60 ink points.

---

This weapon has Sprinklers. Each night, you may throw one at someone. Anyone else who visits that player will take 10 damage. Each use will cost 50 ink points.

---

This weapon has Seekers. Each night, you may throw one at someone to deal 25 damage. If your target visits you, it will deal 45 damage instead. Regardless, each use will cost 45 ink points.

---

This weapon has Ink Mines. Each night, you may place one down in front of someone. If someone visits your target, the visitor will take 30 damage. If multiple people visit someone, the damage will be divided by the number of victims (rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5. Ie. If 3 people visit, they all take 10. If 7 people visit, they all take 5.) However, if no one visits your target, your target will take 30 damage. Regardless, each use will cost 40 ink points.

---

This weapon has Squid Beakons. Each night, you may place one by someone. You will see who visits that player during the night. Each use will cost 30 ink points.

This weapon has the Kraken special. During the night, you choose to activate this ability. If you do, you will take no damage. You may also visit someone and attack them for 30 damage. Each use will cost 100 ink points.

---

This weapon has the Bomb Rush special. During the night, you may choose to activate this ability. If you do, your sub-weapon will do double damage. Using this ability will cost 100 ink points.

---

This weapon has the Bubbler special. During the night, you may choose to activate this ability. If you do, you will take no damage. In addition, anyone who visits you will take no damage during the night as well. Using this ability will cost 100 ink points.

---

This weapon has the Echolocator. During the night, you may select two targets. You will see who visits each of them, as well as who they visit. Using this ability will cost 100 ink points.

---

This weapon has the Inkstrike special. During the night, you may select a target. Your target will take 25 damage. In addition, anyone who visits your target will take 10 damage. Using this ability will cost 100 ink points.

---

This weapon has the Inkzooka special. During the night, you may shoot someone for 45 damage. Using this ability will cost 100 ink points.

---

This weapon has the Killer Wail special. During the night, you may blast a sound wave at someone for 25 damage. In addition, your target will be unable to perform any actions that night. Using this ability will cost 100 ink points.

I'ma just combine Marie and Octavio to condense this down into 3 parts; I've talked about everything else at this point.

Postgame 3: The End!

So while this game wasn't as successful as I would've liked and I totally bit off more than I could chew, I'm really glad that I was able to introduce some new mechanics to our Mafia community. Maybe something I did here (aliases, choose your own role, OC) connected with you and you want to try them again. Or maybe I'm trying to reinvent the wheel and change stuff that doesn't need to be changed.

The Choose Your Own Role is the last thing I wanted to talk about and I think it's easily the idea with the most potential here. I think it would've worked out better without the weapons, because no one bothered with any of the "role" weapons (Killer Wail, Beakon, etc). There's a lot of room for creativity here, and I think it could benefit our community to try stuff like this. There is potential for broken setups, but I think that helps our new hosts learn game balancing and could avoid the problems some of our games have where one side has a large advantage. I'm a teacher, and I firmly believe that the best way to learn is by doing; I can tell you know to balance your mafia game, but the honest best way is to just learn by doing.

I'd like to close with thank yous to everyone who played, even those who subbed out. You were had integral roles in this game, even if the game wasn't your favorite. You were (mostly) awesome to watch. Thanks to my bae Celever for helping get the setup off the ground and throwing idea after idea at me to make the game what it was, even if your schedule stopped you from helping out as much as you would've liked!

And now, the final player analysis.

@bbninjas as THE PRINCESS OF INSECTS!

I can honestly say that this game would've been much less interesting without your strategic mind working with half of the game and falling victim to half the game. I think you are one of the strongest players we have and please continue to play more (not that I'm worried at all). Thank you for your commitment to OC as well, even if it was a hurdle.

You get the Silver Snakoo for BEST COMMITMENT!

@Squirtle Squad as ASK YOUR MOM!

So SS leaked his identity accidentally during Night 0, but it didn't really matter. SS rode all of the waves and was quaking's final victim. bb had said earlier that Ema was an Octavio, but I think SS forgot that or didn't believe it. He probably could've saved Marie if he had acted on Ema sooner.

You get the Silver Snakoo for MOST LIKELY TO SECOND GUESS TEAMMATES!

@thegrovylekid as THE LAST TREE-NAMED PROFESSOR!

Not gonna lie, when your PM to join said that the game looked tedious and not fun, I thought you'd abandon the game right away and I wasn't really sure why you bothered with the game. Your play was fine and what I expected, and I think you benefited from the alias system given that a lot of reads on you tend to look at your meta. I'd encourage you to keep your attitude in check; while I wasn't offended by it, I can imagine it angering other hosts and if we can avoid fractures in our community, we'd all appreciate it.

You get the Silver Snakoo for NICEST COMPLAINER!

@scattered mind as FALCON PUNCH!!!!

sm was only around for the quiet parts of the game and didn't really do much due to the larger inactivity. I was hoping he'd get more involved in it, and I think you clung too closely to the "dumbtelling" wagon, which was evidently your downfall.

You get the Silver Snakoo for MOST LIKELY TO SELF-DEFEND IN RVS!

and the Octavios!

@Robin Aisaga as REYN TIME!

I wished you had joined the game sooner; you were awesome for the one day you were in the game for. You're a lot better at this game than I gave you credit for. You worked really well with your team too.

You get the Silver Snakoo for MOST SYNERGETIC SUB!

@double o squirtle as KIRBY'S STOMACH!

You've got a lot of potential and I was glad to see you interacting with your teammates so much. The Octavios were really the best communications (as evident by the separate Octavio QT) and you were key to that. I loved how your kill you make while you were away resulted in KX's death, which was the highlight of your game to me, even though it wasn't really you. But it wouldn't have happened if you didn't go on your trip so idk.

You get the Silver Snakoo for MOST LIKELY TO HAVE THE BEST TEAMMATES!

@simsands as WORLD'S BIGGEST BARREL ROLL!

I hadn't had much of a chance to see you play, even though I've been told you're really good. You really didn't disappoint here and definitely lived up to the hype. Octavio would not have won without you and quaking at the helm, especially with you orchestrating KX's death.

You get the Silver Snakoo for MOST LIKELY TO BE A TEAM LEADER!

@quakingpunch73 as EMA'S ENDLESS SNAKOOS!

If anyone gets MVP of the game in this game, it's you. Your play this game was everything I could've asked and more. I really can't believe this is only your third game because you play like you have tons of experience. Thanks for being so active in our community, though I could do without all the prods (I think your role PM chat was longer than all of Team Judd's combined).

You get the Silver Snakoo for MOST LIKELY TO MAKE THE HOST REMEMBER STUFF!

And now... back to work!

I did complain about the game. A lot. Sorry about that >.>

really, I thought that the game, had it been on PB, would've been great, though the "tedious and annoying" part was due to the dreaded ProBoards mechanic. Sorry PP!

Thanks for the fun game, PP and Celever! I feel like the game really came together after deviating from many normal mafia mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back