Status
Not open for further replies.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Welcome, one and all, to Werewolf 27! Scope out this gnarly banner by BigfootAUS:

6Oa08Es.png

I'm PMJ, your host for today. Joining me to help bring you through this grand adventure is Professor Palutena. We have worked hard to create a great game for you, so please join and play!

The Story

Thomas Martin, famous reporter, has heard rumors of ghosts besetting a small town called Kara's Vale. As he prepares to leave Canton Falls, he is warned by the local medium to stay away from that town. Not only are the spirits real, but they are gathering to force open an ancient artifact - Pandora's Box. The box must never, ever be opened, or humanity is doomed.

Unafraid of the medium's stories, Werewolf survivor Martin decides to press on to Kara's Vale and bring the truth to the world. The medium accompanies him, deciding that her magic could prove useful if worse comes to worst.

Unfortunately, Kara's Vale has its own share of problems. The mafia has seeped into this town like a disease, and Mayor Kara has been doing everything she can to stamp them out. One of the mafia's top men, Tristan Wise, has just been arrested, but several mafiosi still remain hidden in plain sight. As the prosecution builds its case against Wise, the mafia are doing their best to eliminate the prosecution's star witnesses and gain a 'not guilty' verdict for their boss.

Meanwhile, a certain someone has heard tell of Pandora's Box and will stop at nothing to see it opened...

Rules and Mechanics

Rules

1. In regards to claims: direct quotes are okay. Lying is okay. Fabricating quotes is okay. Screenshots are not okay.
2. Do not "like" posts.
3. Outside communication (OC) is strictly forbidden.
4. Game mod word is law.

Factions and How to Win

Pandora's Box opening marks the end of the game. You must never let it open. If it opens, the game is over.

There are three factions: town, mafia, and independent.

There is only one independent player. They win when Pandora's Box opens. The box is set on a timer, which changes in real time as well as through certain game actions. If the timer reaches its maximum, the box opens and the game is over. The timer will be posted when we feel it needs to be. At minimum it will be posted at the start and end of each day. The exact mechanics behind Pandora's Box are known only to the independent player, but it may be figured out with a little guesswork. Don't spend all your time trying to figure it out, though!

The town is the uninformed majority. Their job is to eliminate all the mafia. The Star Witnesses that the mafia must eliminate to win are all town as well. The Star Witnesses do not know who the other Star Witnesses are.

The mafia is the informed minority. They must kill all Star Witnesses to win. They do not have to achieve parity with the town to claim victory.

There are no joint victories. If Pandora's Box opens, the independent wins and everyone else loses.

Players are eliminated via lynch. To vote for a player, please use ##VOTE: [player]. You do not have to bold your votes, but it couldn't hurt. You may also ##UNVOTE: [player]. You must unvote before you cast a second vote. If you do not, all non-first votes will be void.

A sample role PM is at the end of this section.

Mechanic Changes

The day mechanic has changed significantly. Pandora's Box houses unimaginable horrors, and there is a constant flow of evil spirits entering the box, trying to burst it open. These spirits are hungry for your blood, and will not rest until they get it. Game days will not end until someone is lynched. Nights will last 48 hours or until all night actions are submitted. Trust us when we say that you have been given ample time to form cases and bicker debate with each other. As long as you don't take an exorbitant amount of time to lynch someone, you guys should be able to end the game before the box opens.

Role Explanation and Sample Town Role PM

(Color is for illustrative purposes only.)

You are Jamie Wellerstein, and you are aligned with the town. After finalizing your divorce, you decided to take a vacation in Kara's Vale. Of course, your travel agent never really told you that the damn place was cursed, or else you wouldn't have come here in the first place. He is so fired.

Passive Ability: Successful
You are lynched at L+2 instead. (Devolves when the timer hits 27)

Active Ability: Sneak Around
Once a night you may PM me the name of a player. You will learn if that player is male or female. (Evolves when the timer hits 11)

Win Condition: All members of the mafia eliminated and Pandora's Box does not open

There are two main types of abilities you will find in your role PM: Active and Passive. Active Abilities can be used as often as the ability says you can. They are not all used during the night, so make sure you read your role PM carefully. If you have an Active Ability, I will be waiting to receive your PM every night (if you can use it at night). To speed things along, if you don't want to use your action at night, submit "no action." (You don't have to do this during the day.)

Passive Abilities are abilities that are always working and require no action from you to use. Simple as that.

You will also notice that appended to the end of each ability is a notice of when the ability evolves or devolves. This is also a new mechanic: your roles will change slightly over the course of the game. Abilities change based on the Pandora's Box timer. When you are scheduled to receive a new role PM, you will get one as soon as we can send it to you. We are, naturally, only human, so we might forget to send you an update. There is no reason you should not get an updated role PM when scheduled to receive one. If you think you're overdue for one, PM both PMJ and Professor Palutena immediately (both of us) so that we can fix it ASAP. To reiterate, the changes to your role PM are not major ones. For example, when the timer hits 11, the person who has the above role PM will get an updated role. That role might look something like this:

You are Jamie Wellerstein, and you are aligned with the town. After finalizing your divorce, you decided to take a vacation in Kara's Vale. Of course, your travel agent never really told you that the damn place was cursed, or else you wouldn't have come here in the first place. He is so fired.

Passive Ability: Successful
You are lynched at L+2 instead. (Devolves when the timer hits 27)

Once a night you may PM me the names of 2 players. You will learn if those players are male or female.

Win Condition: All members of the mafia eliminated and Pandora's Box does not open

Notice how the Passive Ability remains unchanged. This is because the timer has not yet hit 27. When it does, this player will receive yet another updated role PM which might look like this:

Once a night you may PM me the names of 2 players. You will learn if those players are male or female.

In this update, the player simply lost their lynch buff.

Abilities can either evolve (get better) or devolve (get worse). That's all!

There is room for 25 of you. No shoving, now.

Players

1. Vom Mafia; modkilled D2
2. Celever Town (Star Witness); killed N6 WINNER
3. Squirtle Squad Town; killed N1 WINNER
4. Athena Mafia; lynched D4
5. Camoclone Town; died N3 WINNER
6. bbninjas Town (Star Witness); killed N3 WINNER
7. GM DracLord Town; lynched D5 WINNER
8. Jeremy1026 Mafia; modkilled D3
9. Luispipe8 WINNER
10. Mr. Muffin Mafia; modkilled D5
11. TheGuy Town; died from a curse D1 WINNER
12. TwistedTurtwig WINNER
13. scattered mind Town; killed N5 WINNER
14. Yeowie Town (Star Witness); lynched D1 WINNER
15. Chaos Jackal Town; killed N5 WINNER
16. JoshB Keeper of Night Town (Star Witness); killed N3 WINNER
17. Mega Adi Cypher333 WINNER
18. steffenka WINNER
19. thegrovylekid Mafia; lynched D7
20. Luctini27 Town (Star Witness); modkilled N3
21. Growlitheguy Ice Espeon Mafia; lynched D6
22. Cinesra WINNER
23. Cookie BlaineistheBest Independent; modkilled N2

Important posts

Night Zero
Day One
Day One (Part 2)
Night One
Day Two
Night Two
Day Three
Night Three
Day Four
Night Four
Day Five
Night Five
Day Six
Night Six
Day Seven

Last edited:

Celever

Wheeeee~
Wow, this game looks super duper interesting. The timer mechanic reminds me of Majora's Mask...

...and who doesn't love Majora's Mask, right? :3

(in)

e: PMJ, do you have a minimum players set? This game looks amazing, but tbr, 25 players is an incredibly tough task. My werewolf-esque game couldn't manage 12 players...

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Who doesn't like Majora's Mask? Heathens, that's who.

The timer mechanic is exactly like Majora's Mask. Outside of flavor, it serves to keep the game on track; since the timer updates in real time, the game will end whether the players want it to or not.

Just because days last forever doesn't mean there won't be modkills. No host wants to do it but I'm more than willing to do a mass killing if it means people will pick up the pace.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
In, if you plan on starting no earlier than August 1st. If you're going to start before then, I'll be a sub. There's so much early game reading in the games here that I don't think I should commit to joining if the game starts up while I'm still on vacation and/or traveling.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
/in

Not to be that guy or anything but do you think that we will really have 25 active players? Recent games make it seem unlikely.

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
You have to hope you do, because designing werewolf games for a dozen people is shitty.

If we don't hit 25, then I'll just let the game fester for two weeks cut roles to accommodate.

rev3rsor

目がピアノを弾く
Especially with the last few games I don't feel I have the time/dedication required to commit to werewolf at the moment, so I'll pass on this one. Looks like a good game though ^^

Jeremy1026

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, I'll play.

May I suggest that explicit rules are put in place about modkills? Activity hasn't been the best around these parts lately.

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I appreciate your honesty @rev3rsor and I hope you will reconsider if we are short a player.

COME ON EVERYONE SIGNUPS GET

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
9 players \o/

I'm totally graphing the sign up period. You know, trends and everything. ^___^

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
This is unreal. A year ago this thread would have been flooded with signups.

I'm all for cutting roles, but this is ridiculous. If we don't hit a decent number, I'd rather just postpone this until a later date.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I assume there is not that possibility of advertising the game on the front page? I noticed WW as an activity on PB's activity calender, however, so I really don't know what WPM/SR was planning on doing with it.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Advertising on the front page is sort of a double-edged sword. It would be great to get the publicity, but it seems silly to advertise it for only 25 (16) people. A lot of people will want to play and be disappointed.

Celever

Wheeeee~
Advertising on the front page is sort of a double-edged sword. It would be great to get the publicity, but it seems silly to advertise it for only 25 (16) people. A lot of people will want to play and be disappointed.
I think it's somewhat necessary if you don't want to cut 16 roles, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.