Weekly TCG Update #4

Nigel

Extra Spicy
Hello there, PokéBeach. This is part four of a series of Portal Posts called the Weekly TCG Updates (Previously known as Weekly TCG Discussions). The point of this series is to get players informed of Pokémon TCG related news as well as promote competitive observations of certain Japan-exclusive cards. In these Monday evening posts, you will also be informed of any news that will affect the TCG section of the forums.

Grains of Sand winners this past week!
  • [member]Blaztoyz[/member] - 2 (Observation of the Week Winner)
  • [member]Secret Pikachu[/member] - 1 , 1
  • [member]Deoxysmatter[/member] - 1
  • [member]Zaloog91[/member] - 1
  • [member]JPN Gallade[/member] - 1

PokéBeach news/reminders!
  • [mod]dmaster[/mod] has kick started a brand new season of Community Decklists that will hopefully be maintained throughout the brand new B/W On TCG season. The voting thread has been put up here and the decklist will able to be built one week from now.
  • The Website Feedback forum still exists! It's times like these where we are in need of member feedback! Every single post of feedback will be considered.
  • We are in need of TCG articles. If you are interested, please PM [smod]Nigel[/smod] with a topic you are interested in writing about and I will let you know if it is taken or available.

TCG News in a Nutshell:

Competitive Observation of the Week:

Celebi-EX – Grass – HP110
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Time Recall
All of your Pokemon can use attacks from their previous evolutions. (You still need to required Energy to use the attack.)

[G][C][C] Passing Wind: 60 damage. Switch Celebi-EX with one of your Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

1) If you could change this card for the better, what would you change?

2) If any, which archetypes do you see this card in?

Please PM all answers to the Observation of the Week to [smod]Nigel[/smod]. The most thorough answer will be featured in next week's Weekly TCG Discussion post and that member will be awarded 2 Grains of Sand!

Last week's winner:
Blaztoyz said:
1) If you could change this card for the better, what would you change?
At first look, this card is pretty interesting. 100 HP for a no-longer evolving Stage 1 is a little below average, but still not terrible. If I were to change this, I would bump it up to 110 or more. It's a water type Pokémon which is ok, but is unfavorable against lightning types which are popular in this format. It is also Ghost type, so this card could be made Psychic to improve it. It's weakness would also be changed to Darkness in that scenario. This card is also pretty good because it evolves from a decent basic. Frillish has a decent first attack which can allow you to stall out of a bad start. It also has a good 80 HP allowing Jellicent to be teched into a deck fairly easily (1-1 or 2-2 line). Now, let's look at Jellicent's ability. It makes your opponent's Pokémon have 1 more retreat cost. This could be improved by making it Stackable (If it isn't already). It's attack really isn't even woth having on the card. I think a better attack would be: CC-20 Damage-Switch Jellicent with one of your benched Pokémon. This would make a useful attack for getting this 3 retreat cost card out of the active. It's Weakness could be change as mentioned earlier. Colorless Resistence could be added, but it's not going to be a major difference, and his Retreat is fine (Making it searchable via Heavy Ball).

2) If any, which archetypes do you see this card in?
I think this card could be used in a Variety of Lock decks. One would be Carnive. Since lack of Junk Arm makes it harder to Switch, you could bench several Jellicents and use Carnive to drag up opponent's pokemon and slowly pick away at them. It could also be used with Gothitelle, Darkrai EX, and Accelgor. This would create a great lock and Capitalize on Jellicents ability. These are really the only ways I see this card being used, but they are pretty good ones. I see Jellicent playing a large part in the future metagame.

My "Grains of sand" do not show up when I comment on things...

Blaztoyz said:
My "Grains of sand" do not show up when I comment on things...

I see 2 grains of sand for you. Its under your post count on the left side of your post.

Back