We Need Limitations On Technology...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
so we don't have to use something as stupid as this...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/death-keyboards-monitors-omnitouch-202115388.html

The OmniTouch? Monitors and Keyboards gone in 5 years? Aren't
we satisified enough with laptops and computers? Why the sudden change later on?

Yeah that's right I'm also looking at you Japan! You and your creepy robots. You'd think
a country like them would also scale back on technology but no, they won't.

Woah! The omnitouch is so cool!
I honestly don't think that it'll replace comp + keyboards though. A lot of businesses already have perfectly fine computers, and probably won't give out the money to buy the omnithing.
It does sound cool though ^.^

Even technology you can't deal with?

Tyler practically won the thread. We don't need any other discussion.

DSJ, please give me a reason for holding back technology, because I see no good ones. Stop evolving? No thank you. If you'd remember this quote from Darwin:

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Guess what, it still applies today. You shouldn't be afraid of change.

^lolwut?
This sounds cool and all. I think that we should wait a bit longer for technlogy like this to come out. Most people are still getting used to laptops anyways. If this comes out, people may be more confused,

DSJ, let's think about this for a moment. Let's say that the increasing number of technology that is being released is "stupid". In that case, if it gains a market because people are buying, we get two possible conclusions:

- People are stupid
- Technology is actually cool and thus people want to buy.

Pick your poison. Regardless, your topic isn't a topic at all.

Yes, I agree to this thread. I'm not happy with Japan inventing all these outdated robots. Whatever happened to "simple" technology? I don't understand robotics like the computer 20 years later from today. "How do I control the 3D-ity of my computer?" These questions will be more compilicated than ever.

LuckyPokeGirl said:
Yes, I agree to this thread. I'm not happy with Japan inventing all these outdated robots. Whatever happened to "simple" technology? I don't understand robotics like the computer 20 years later from today. "How do I control the 3D-ity of my computer?" These questions will be more compilicated than ever.

So what you're saying is that you want technological progress to stop because you can't understand it.

Actually, no, SA. I just want that progress to slow down, that's all. ^_^ Slow to what I can understand. ;)

OmniTouch is dumb. It still requires a surface to project on, so what makes it different than a screen? How would I see it in the sunlight? I have to wear a projector?

Cool idea. But impractical.

And I think the topic intended was more about this Omni thing and other dumb "technological advances" and not actually stopping new technology.

Well first of all, this new invention does not mean that monitors and keyboards will go away. I personally think that in a decade or two, its very possible for keyboards to be gone. But monitors? I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt that in only 5 years iPads and other tablets will be gone.

As for screen-less gadgets? They are really cool. I look forward to seeing all that they can do, but for now, they are just cool little toys to tinker with. They will not replace the working tablets that can do so much more. At least not in 5 years.

Also, if you think about it, I would much rather have my iPhone than the Omnitouch (for daily use)
You need both hands for the Omnitouch, but with my iPhone, I can use one hand. Also, the omnitouch is like freaking strapped to your shoulder, and who knows how much battery that thing drains.

As time goes on we will be seeing technology evolve and there is not stop to that. Computers/laptops were a major invention and it took many years to just get it right. The Omnitouch is still not a major invention and couldn't possibly take the places of computer/laptops, since they are used by mostly everyone around the world. It will still take many years to get the whole Omnitouch thing right.

Do none of you realize what the omnitouch is? It's just an Xbox Kinect rewired to do something that's actually pretty impressive.

It isn't supposed to be finished or ready for use in the real world, they are just playing with it. It isn't realistically going to replace computers, keyboards or monitors anytime soon. People all over the world are designing things just like this with the Kinect just to experiment and push the boundaries of technology. Someday, this will be a very plausible thing, but for now, they are just seeing what they can do. I don't understand why people would bash something like this because it looks clunky in one of its very first stages of design.

On the issue of the OmniTouch: Like many others have already said, it's a nice move forward, but it's still in its infancy. I look forward to the day where keyboards are simply buttons of light / whatever projected in front of me. Not only is it visually awesome, it can save a whole lot of room.

On the issue of the Thread Title: Technology is the tool mankind uses to move forward - it's kind of like a form of evolution. To slow or limit the advances in technology would be a terrible thing in my opinion. Technology can be used for so many positive, world-changing things. It helps people do more than their bodies would be able to do alone. Letting technological advances flow freely allows us to create things that could save the world one day, or even cure any disease, or solve world hunger, or reduce the amount of waste we produce (the OmniTouch would get rid of the need to waste materials on keyboards, for a small example)... The possibilities are nearly endless.

Of course, there are always going to be the negative aspects of technology (such as weapons that are built only to harm people, environmental issues), but ultimately I think the positives will outweigh the negatives so long as people know what they're doing and understand the effects new technologies could have on the world (environmental and otherwise). If more people work on making things for the greater good, I'm sure it'll all turn out well in the end.

If something like that would be released, it would proably be a commercial failure. At least it is sure that it's not even near as handy and easy as a keyboard so keyboards won't dissapear. ;) People would just not be ok with that.

Similar technology has been used since the late 90's. It becoming mainstream and available to the public is advancement, not at all detrimental.

The only problem that exists with technology is how people choose to use it. For no reason do we need to use social networking like FourSquare to show people, total strangers, where we are and where we are going. It just catalogs your personal data to sell to data mining companies. Facebook is the same way -we never needed anything like that. Now people just throw out all their personal info all willy-nilly. The young have little regard for their own privacy, too, and that can be very dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back