Did this thread help?

• Yeah!

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No, not really

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Gistica

Hit me up for any questions about Competitive Play
This is mainly a thread where people can post ways that they calm down or get their "Pre-tournament jitters" out. For example I like to read on the drive there, it just calms me down.

I listen to music. Music always calms me down and helps clear up my brain.

I'll never be calm before a tournament. I'm very competitive and am always extremely nervous about losing. I find actually thinking more about the tournament helps calm me down, like planning strategies against other decks. It stops me from worrying that I won't know what to do in a certain situation.

Well, I like to just repeatedly shuffle my deck. I don't know why, but it kind of relaxes me.

I'm never calm when it comes to a tournament! I'm too excited to think about anything but said tournament!

But if I had to have a way to calm down, it would probably be playing a game on my DS or PSP, listening to music, talking to random people and trading.

I haven't been to a tournament in a while, so don't take my word for this, but the best advice I can give for anyone is to sit and relax. Thinking about your deck or anything related to the competition is the worst thing you can do to yourself. Athletes often lose because they are too paranoid and self-conscious of themselves. If you continue to think about the decks you will encounter and start scrambling ten minutes before the competition starts, you will be stressed, which can in turn cause losing matches. Just relax, talk to friends, and if this helps, try not to eat anything sugary before you get there. A good breakfast before an early tourney is basically all you need to stay awake and active. Hopefully my advice was worth something to people out there.

Chewing some gum is a classic one for me.

dmaster out.

I usually shuffle my deck a whole bunch. 8 piling and the works. I'm sure listening to music also works. Trading is great. Just focus on something else, talking to friends, trading, talking with family etc... It's ok to be a little nervous before a large event.

Listening to piano music. Always soothing. Just taking some deep breaths and not letting the excitement get to you in general is the best way to relax. Normally, stakes and blood pressures are high, resulting in poor decisions and costly mistakes. By being the calm and collected one, you'll definitely have an edge.

I found out that not getting nervous before a tournament helps me stay calm. Within the past year I have gotten so much better, and now I'm confident I will top cut so I don't really worry about it. I've never been a nervous person, and since I'm pretty much relaxed no matter what, I just roll with whatever happens. In fact, I don't think I have ever been anxious about a tourny.

What I do is smoke some cigarettes, but DO NOT IF YOU ARE NOT OF AGE!

I used to always be soooooo anxious before a tournament, but when I smoke it just makes it feel like a regular day at league. It helps me calm down and stay focused, while making me happy and reminding me that it is just a game.

GHJamesGH said:
What I do is smoke some cigarettes, but DO NOT IF YOU ARE NOT OF AGE!

I used to always be soooooo anxious before a tournament, but when I smoke it just makes it feel like a regular day at league. It helps me calm down and stay focused, while making me happy and reminding me that it is just a game.
I'm going to recommend not doing this, even if you are of age. If you rely on substances to control your emotions, you're really just digging yourself into a deeper hole. Besides, being nervous before a tournament > cancer & other side effects.

Anyway, @ OP, what are you nervous about in the first place? It's just a children's card game tournament. Don't worry about it. What happens will happen whether you're nervous or not. So just take a few deeps breaths, do a reality check, and focus. Whenever I would get emotional at a tournament, I would lose. It's just not something you can afford to do. So use some self-control and just... don't.

When i go to a tournament i typically just take my anxiety and use it as my drive. I come from a family where 50% of us worry a LOT. so i don't typically try to relax, but i would recommend eating. Just a little nibble or something. When i do calm down (which is typically after round 1 or 2) i will do that.

I'm really not nervous before a tournament. I usually get nervous during the bigger tournaments like Regs and Nats. I get pretty nervous when I'm playing a game that decides whether I'm in or out of Top Cut. I got really shaky the second day of Nats last year because of that + being under the a/c. I try to calm down after that by listening to music.

Personally, I like to chat to some of the better players (from all divisions)(eg. State champ), if they act like they know you, then you can feel good, as you're not a n00b playe, and are respected by the elites.

That works for me but, music & playing games is an awesome way to relax, and as pretty much every one has said, don't focus on what's coming, as it will make you more nervous.

I think planning out your strategies for specific decks helps, and try to have your decklist memorized, or at least close. It helps to know exactly how many of each card is in your deck so you won't make as many misplays that cost you the game, because you don't want to go do something like Junipering away 2 Reshiram Exs when you only have 3.

I play with or against a fun deck just to losen up my brain and have a fun time. It is never good to be stressed for the tournament, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be ready.

I trade. Nothing takes your mind off the tournament like making a great trade in which you get what you've been looking for for cards you don't need anymore. Also I just talk to friends and joke around. I used to get really jittery during any tournament game but now I don't, even though I'm nervous. It doesn't matter as long as you don't let it lose you games, just think a little more carefully before making any moves.

Just be prepared. Have your deck, decklist, dice, and all that good stuff ready before the day of the tournament. It helps last minute stress and will probably help you out in the long run. I remember once I forgot to add my Pokémon Communication to my decklist and I freaked out because I thought I only had 56 cards. Then I added them and all was well. :p

Back