Watch Live: 'Pokemon Direct' Stream for 'Pokemon Sword' and 'Shield!'

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémonpolis looks like it's become game canon! When the dimensions of the TCG/VG/Anime Mangacollide it's always it's one of the most satisfying results which makes us come back most. The makes Pokémon be one of the greatest things that we love ever. The synchronised bridge of Go, Sun & Moon, Let's Go to now Sword and Shield is rooted richer then before.

Last edited:

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
OPEN WORLD for catching Pokemon is finally a feature in the main games!! :D:D:D

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I am in love with the flower Pokémon, Goosifleur, and its evolution; Eldegoss.

Also, Wooloo is a precious fluffy boi. He is too pure for this world.

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
The legendary Pokemon are pretty awesome, (but Zamazenta looks a bit too much like Solgaleo). Since both Zacian and Zamazenta look so similar, they're probably the final evolutions of the same Pokemon, like Solgaleo and Lunala (I guess evolving mascot legendaries are the trend)

Another awesome thing is manual camera movement and roaming Pokemon. The manual camera means that these games will essentially be open-world (to a degree). And like Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, roaming Pokemon are always awesome (Here's hoping we can have Pokemon companions like we do in LGPE).

As for Dynamax, not sure what to think of it at the moment as all we know is that it boosts a Pokemon's moves a certain amount for 3 turns. Since we don't have specific stats, it's hard to know what to think of it but being able to boost a Pokemon's power by at least 25% for 3 turns would mean that this is certainly going to be meta changing.

The new Pokemon introduced are also some of the best as it usually takes a while for some, if not all, of the Pokemon to grow on me but all 7 Pokemon introduced all look awesome to me. I especially like the look of Corviknight and I like how they subtly confirmed that HMs aren't returning (Fly at least).

And finally, not sure what I think about Max Raid Battles. Without knowing it I can do them by myself, or how strong the Pokemon becomes when Dynamaxed, it's hard to know if specific Pokemon are locked behind having to do multiplayer or if a single person with strong enough Pokemon could do it by themselves.

Edit: Apparently there is something called the Rotom Phone, which is a phone that acts as your Pokedex. Does these mean NPC phone calls are coming back from HGSS? Also, perhaps we'll get a proper camera feature to go with the manual camera movement and open world game?

Edit 2: The Pokemon website states: "For example, you can attach it to your bike to make it move faster on land, or it can even help you travel over water!". Not sure how but sweet!

Edit 3: Bike can go on water, there is a picture on the official Pokemon website.
rotom.jpg

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I've started calling Zacian and Zamazenta Swordon and Shieldon (yes like the fossil) and I can't stop, someone help me.

I like the free-range camera thing in the open areas, I bet you that whole field is bigger than Alola. It just looks so much better than Sun and Moon. It really, REALLY does. I'm also really glad they got James Turner to do some designs. After all, he designed Buzzwole and some of my favorite Gen 5/6 Pokemon, so he's good in my book. I love all of the ones that were revealed, especially that Crow one.

Dynamax I'm skeptical on, but I'll have to see more into it. I wish they just kinda kept on with megas instead of doing some new gimmick every time, but hey. At least they're not slapping swords and armor on Pikachu or something.

I'm not sure if it's going to be better than BW or Platinum. But I'm VERY confident in that this game will blow Gen 7 out of the water.

Wechselbalg

brb
The positive:

- The legendaries look nice. I'm especially liking the one for Shield.
- Open world is a nice feature even if I'm personally not that hyped for that.

The negative:

- Dynamax...it's the same pokemon, just bigger! Lol, seriously Gamefreak? It's like they didn't even try.
- Most of these new design reveals seem rehashed versions of older ones like Whimsicott, Honchkrow/Skarmory, Mareep. Hopefully we'll get some more interesting ones later on.
- After having less stereotypical professors for 3 generations, we are now back to grandpas and grannies. Yay.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
OPEN WORLD for catching Pokemon is finally a feature in the main games!! :D:D:D

I was hoping they would bring this back from LGPE -- one of the few things LGPE did that I actually wanted to be incorporated into the mainstream games.

If it's limited to one area only I'll take it I guess haha. It kinda reminds me of Pal Park.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
I like how the direct works but it leaves several questions.
  • What are the Typings of the Pokemon revealed today? I am assuming Eldegoss and Gossfleur are Grass-types (Maybe Pure Grass or Grass-Fairy) since Gym Leader Milo (sounds like a chocolate drink) uses it and Probably Eldegoss is using Leech Seed on the video. I am a competitive dude, bro. On Corviknight, Dark/Flying. Its a raven, a huge crow. It will be Dark/Flying. Wooloo is Normal and Drednaw is Dark/Rock or just Dragon/Rock. Its my guess. On Zacian and Zamazante, Steel/Fighting on both of them or maybe one of them.
  • What if the Legendaries are like Cosmog all over again? They're in the same stature. They're huge legendary lions. I won't surprised if it is a Stage 2 dudes.
  • Is Dynamax a held item thing? Megas and Z-Moves are done because of the held item, Mega Stones and Z-Crystal, respectively.
I kinda like of the old Pokemon in the game like... RHYPERIOR IS IN GALAR DEX!! Whohoo!! I am referring to the Rhydon in the trailer, and like the people there like Leon, the Galar champion and Hop, your frindly rival (RIP for Jerk rival hopes. Hehe!) Is Magnolia based of a tree again?

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Guys, go to the Pokemon site. There is a lot of information there that wasn't in the direct, like the Rotom phone as well as the new Pokemon typings and abilities (except for the legendary Pokemon as usual):

Corviknight: Dark/Steel, Abilities: Pressure/Unnerve
Wooloo: Normal, Abilities: Fluffy/Run Away
Dreadnaw: Water/Rock, Abilities: Strong Jaw/Shell Armor
Gossifleur: Grass, Abilities: Cotton Down/Regenerator
Edlegoss: Grass, Abilities: Cotton Down/Regenerator

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
yays:
-Wooloo is a treasure and we don't deserve him
-Open world looks cool
-Camera changing
-I love Eldegoss
-The wild area looks pretty good

nays:
-the Dynamax feature is not instilling joy or excitement in me
-I'm not really a fan of the idea of some Pokemon being max raid battle exclusives
-I'm not a massive fan of sword wolf and shield wolf

I like how the direct works but it leaves several questions.
  • What are the Typings of the Pokemon revealed today? I am assuming Eldegoss and Gossfleur are Grass-types (Maybe Pure Grass or Grass-Fairy) since Gym Leader Milo (sounds like a chocolate drink) uses it and Probably Eldegoss is using Leech Seed on the video. I am a competitive dude, bro. On Corviknight, Dark/Flying. Its a raven, a huge crow. It will be Dark/Flying. Wooloo is Normal and Drednaw is Dark/Rock or just Dragon/Rock. Its my guess. On Zacian and Zamazante, Steel/Fighting on both of them or maybe one of them.
Gossifleur & Eldegoss are pure Grass, Corviknight is Flying/Steel, Wooloo is Normal and Drednaw is Water/Rock. Legendaries types haven't been announced yet

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
Can wait for Dynamax pokemon to become part of the TCG

One big card outside of the deck, that can only be put on the field with some condition and only for 2-3 turns also with 500 Hp and if its KO you win the match, just imagine something like that

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Can wait for Dynamax pokemon to become part of the TCG

One big card outside of the deck, that can only be put on the field with some condition and only for 2-3 turns also with 500 Hp and if its KO you win the match, just imagine something like that

Nah; it'll be like Mega Pokémon. You play it as an additional evolution, and then you discard it at the end of the turn (or maybe the end of your opponent's turn, depending on if it gives you defensive advantages, but I'm assuming offensive only).

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
yays:
-Wooloo is a treasure and we don't deserve him
-Open world looks cool
-Camera changing
-I love Eldegoss
-The wild area looks pretty good

nays:
-the Dynamax feature is not instilling joy or excitement in me
-I'm not really a fan of the idea of some Pokemon being max raid battle exclusives
-I'm not a massive fan of sword wolf and shield wolf

Gossifleur & Eldegoss are pure Grass, Corviknight is Flying/Steel, Wooloo is Normal and Drednaw is Water/Rock. Legendaries types haven't been announced yet
That’s Sword Dog and Shield Dog to you.
Can’t help to notice the following things:
- Professor Magnolia kind of looks like the Prime Minister of Great Britain.
- No Goomy yet. This scares me.
- Dynamax in TCG!

That’s all, but I’ll post back here if I find anything else.

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
The Pokémon are OK, Drednaw I like the least, but there is none so far which I don't like apart from Scorbunny. A crow and a sheep make sense for Great Britain.
Only carrying a sword between your teeth like that and fighting with it looks really painful. Will it faint if it loses the sword (or the other way around)?

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
According to the Pokemon site, you can battle in Max Raid Battles by yourself and you'll just have 3 filler NPC players join you, so certain Pokemon won't be locked behind multiplayer.

Also, according to the website "Pokemon from the Galar Region are capable of Dynamxing...". It sounds like only Pokemon caught or breed in Gen 8 will be able to use Dynamax but I doubt it and we'll have to wait and see.

Finally, judging on the images on the Pokemon site, when you Dynamax, get changed into a variety of different things like a Normal Physical Attack (ie; Scratch) becomes Max Strike, a Grass Physical Attack (ie; Razor Leaf) becomes Max Overgrowth and statue moves, regardless of type (ie; Growl and Taunt) become Max Guard. Also Max Strike lowers the speed of the Pokemon hit. By the sounds of this, it sounds like Z moves are getting replaced.

Here are said images:
6_05_dynamax_9.jpg

6_05_dynamax_10.jpg