Virizion EX / Genesect EX

How are you managing Victiny EX? It seems to be a huge threat. He can 1-shot your entire team starting turn 1.

Trainer_JAOG said:
How are you managing Victiny EX? It seems to be a huge threat. He can 1-shot your entire team starting turn 1.

Turn 2* and that's if the victini player chooses to go second (which he/she probably wouldn't).

Going second is technically turn 1.
~Camoclone

Aggressiv said:
Trainer_JAOG said:
How are you managing Victini EX? It seems to be a huge threat. He can 1-shot your entire team starting turn 1.

Turn 2* and that's if the victini player chooses to go second (which he/she probably wouldn't).

Going second is technically turn 1.
~Camoclone

Actually as if the Victini player is playing Victory Piece it would be quite standard to see them go second, to attack first is still a big deal even if you let your opponent drop a few more pokemon on the bench.

Anyone have techs against Darkrai? Ghetsis helps shuffle away whatever Sableye gets back, but it's not nearly as useful in most other matchups as, say, Colress. Crushing hammers are still a big problem, but I don't think there's anything I can do about that. Overall I think the only way I've found to win is just more consistency.

What do you guys think?

zavtac said:
Some of the best techs against darkrai are terrakion and landorus, they are both 2x effective to darkrai and can ohko darkrai with the right amount of energy.

Those are good techs, but they're hard to tech into decks. Since they both require F energy to attack and G and F are not on the same blend you would be forced to run prism which isn't searchable by Emerald Slash, thus reducing your consistency of your deck and if you decided to run basic F energy, you either have to hope you draw into it or add more E search it can still clog your deck.

BigBob667 said:
Who thinks this deck needs 2 tropical beach?

I definitely don't think it does. I love this deck and have had some success with it, and I have never played Beach in it (mostly because I can't afford it). This deck really only needs it on the first turn. If it has to use it later, it's probably going to lose because this deck needs to use a lot of attacks to win. There also isn't many cards you need on the second turn. And Skyarrow Bridge is also really good for this deck, so with all those things combined, I don't think this deck needs 2 Beach or even 1. Sure, 1 or maybe 2 would probably be a good edition, but I don't think it's necessary.

So with X/Y being out for a bit now, anyone been messing with new stuff in this deck?

It appears to me the only Pokemon that could even be imported in would be Venusaur EX/M-Venuaur but not sure if the M making you lose a turn is worth it to a deck like this. Not to mention the absurd retreat costs.

However Professor's Letter and Muscle Band seemed interesting to me, the letter so you don't get energy blocked. As for muscle band, I find with VirGen and the current meta there is often many situations where 20 HP is the difference between a KO and not.

So what does everyone think?

Muscle band is nice. 70 (Emerald slash) +120 (Megalo Cannon) = 190 so it knocks out some stuff and hits good numbers without relying on the 20 snipe.

I've been using this deck for a while, and I'm wondering what you guys use as a non-EX attacker, and what you use for Rayboar/Reshiram.

Rayboar is an autoloss, there's pretty much nothing you can do about that. You'd rather focus on other matchups than try and fix something that can't be fixed.

I've been experimenting with this deck a bit. How do you guys think Yveltal EX would do in it? The only thing that's a hang up is the one darkness energy. I was thinking prof. letter, but I don't know if that would offset the need for the energy. You would have to run 2 or more in case it's prized, so that may take some much needed deck space.

Blah said:
Rayboar is an autoloss, there's pretty much nothing you can do about that. You'd rather focus on other matchups than try and fix something that can't be fixed.

Is RayBoar still an auto-loss now, given that we can tech in a copy of Druddigon or two now (thanks to Flashfire)?

Pope said:
Blah said:

Is RayBoar still an auto-loss now, given that we can tech in a copy of Druddigon or two now (thanks to Flashfire)?

Not an auto loss but still a very hard math to win. Drudigon helps but still takes an emerald slash or 2 turns to power up.

I've found that Abomasnow can be useful in dealing with fire threats (Pyroar, Charizard, Delphox ect). You just need muscle band to deal with EX's. Virizion also stops it from confusing itself so it's got that going for it too.

pokedan24 said:
I've found that Abomasnow can be useful in dealing with fire threats (Pyroar, Charizard, Delphox ect). You just need muscle band to deal with EX's. Virizion also stops it from confusing itself so it's got that going for it too.

Probably a better tech to deal with Pyroar than the idea of adding Shiftry that I have been trying out/has been getting a fair amount of talk online.

Pokedan, I think you may have given me something to test out... :D

I have beaten a rayboar deck pretty convincingly with a VirGen Deck Variant with Roserade and Abomasnow. That deck doesnt run Keldeo Ex. So it has a bit more trouble retreating. Hitting for 100 w/ a muscle band, Abomasnow can also confuse it. So basically Abomasnow can OHKO the 2 fire types in the deck and then confuses the Rayquaza that forces a retreat to something else that can be knocked out or red signaled back out.

There is also G booster to fall back on. With Roserade, this deck is much more consistent and faster and can get the jump on the slow Rayboar deck if given the chance.

Ivy_Profen said:
I have beaten a rayboar deck pretty convincingly with a VirGen Deck Variant with Roserade and Abomasnow. That deck doesnt run Keldeo Ex. So it has a bit more trouble retreating. Hitting for 110 w/ a muscle band, Abomasnow can also confuse it. So basically Abomasnow can OHKO the 2 fire types in the deck and then confuses the Rayquaza that forces a retreat to something else that can be knocked out or red signaled back out.

There is also G booster to fall back on. With Roserade, this deck is much more consistent and faster and can get the jump on the slow Rayboar deck if given the chance.

But abombasnow only helps in the rayboar/pyroar-charizard match up. You don't think raichu is better?

I'm not really sure. I guess it makes sense. It's the only thing that can take a hit from pyroar and then hit back. It also OHKO's charizard and has the benefit of confusion for anything that survives.

Darkrai/Yveltal isn't nearly as scary. Which is what I imagine raichu is mainly for. The Sableye is a OHKO from Emerald slash with a muscle band, malmar is just a megalo cannon and both darkrai and yveltal cant ordinarily OHKO Genesect, unless given a ton of energy. But if they put that many resources on the Yveltal, they might have nothing to follow up with if you happen to G booster it before it can do anything. Which i have done a few times using energy switch, plasma energy and G booster. It helps that Roserade can grab any one of those. The sheer suprise OHKO that Genesect can pull is one thing i found that makes this deck so dangerous. Given the right cards, you can play a genesect, play 2 energy switch, 1 plasma energy, and G booster to knock anything out that turn. If they cant reliably OHKO you back like charizard/pyroar/rayboar. The match can be fairly even, if not favoring VirGen

Back