VileGar [ Gengar / Spiritomb / Vileplume ]

Jade

Retired
VileGar

18-gengar.gif
24-vileplume.gif
32-spiritomb.gif

NOTE: This is a thread for discussing the deck in general. Below is a basic deck list, and a basic strategy.

Standard Decklist:
Pokemon (28)

4x Gastly SF
4x Haunter SF
3x Gengar SF
1x Gengar LV.X
2x Oddish LA
2x Gloom LA
2x Vileplume UD
2x Uxie LA
1x Uxie LV.X
4x Spiritomb AR
1x Azelf LA
2x Unown Q MD

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (19)
4x Pokemon Collector
4x Broken Time-Space
3x Bebe's Search
3x Looker's Investigation
2x Professor Oaks's New Theory
2x Twins
1x Palmer's Contribution

Energy (13)

3x Call Energy
7x Psychic Energy
3x Warp Energy

Strategy:
Trainer lock type deck. You set up with Spiritomb by ensuring having Vileplume into play to keep on maintaining the Trainer lock, as well as Gengar to attack with.

RE: SF-Gar [ Gengar / Spiritomb / Vileplume ]

Why is there no crobat G in the provided decklist? I have tested the deck and came to the conclusion that you cant attack with just poltergiest. You need to be able to ohko uxies and azelf so you dont get behind your opponent in prizes.

James - Patience, this is only a sample decklist. It will be fixed shortly after a discussion with fellow mods (Amt & Z-man).

dragonpulse20 said:
Why is Mighteana in the deck?

Mightyena have a purpose in the deck. With a full trainer lock in place, it allows the deck to have an easier matchup against SP, considering the fact that while under a trainer lock, Opponent cannot use any Warp Points or anything to get out of the trap.

Why don't you run 4 Warp Energy? In fact, why don't you run any Warp Energy? xP By the way, Mightyena is the most amazingly broken tech in this xD

~L_X_F

standard decklist =/= sample decklist

I am trying this out and I also don't play Crobat G, i just curse the damage around(i am running just one SF so maybe not the same thing). Also for anti SP Machamp works wonders :)
My list is a tad inconsistent but it's doing well in testing.
Also COPYCAT is a godsend for this deck, if you trainer lock the whole game you can copycat for a lot :0

I like to have Crobat G instead of Mightyena. I know Mightyena locks up SP but Vileplume does that already; do you need overkill? I think it is more important to snipe Uxie off the bench before they can Psychic Restore for the kill.

Its not bad but add some trainers luxry ball , comunication , crobat G , warp energy warp point and smeargle at least 3 of them and 3 spiritombs reach , no mightiena 3 collecotrs.

my version i have testeed it a little so see

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=85813

Thraenuios, I have given your deck fixes and reasonings why a large number of those said trainers cannot be used since, the deck have a REALLY good odds of never breaking the trainer lock, at 99% of the time.

oh mean everyone is saying this.. and i everytime answer to this...

I KNOW THE MAIN REASON OF THE DECK IS TRAINERS LOCK
but if i lock with spiritomb or i dont start with it i can use trainers to get it.. and when my opponent kills it i use smeargle and try to find it if not then i use trainers and find it (if i found it with smeargle i can use them to get some preevolutions on gengar , vileplume etc.)
I have played this deck without trainers and it isnt good. My friend )Pro) has helped me... Its really better..

Thraenuios said:
oh mean everyone is saying this.. and i everytime answer to this...

I KNOW THE MAIN REASON OF THE DECK IS TRAINERS LOCK
but if i lock with spiritomb or i don't start with it i can use trainers to get it.. and when my opponent kills it i use smeargle and try to find it if not then i use trainers and find it (if i found it with smeargle i can use them to get some preevolutions on gengar , vileplume etc.)
I have played this deck without trainers and it isnt good. My friend )Pro) has helped me... Its really better..

Running 4 Collectors and 4 Call Energies still ensure you have the lock going ASAP. Only trainers in the deck is 2 Rare Candy which would get a Stage 2 out in a pinch if you happen to have those early.

Smeargle does not copy trainers or stadiums. Just supporters.

Peace.

heh Im not going to have a fight with you :) if you think it so good test it... and then test the deck with trainers.. i have played it without trainers and i know its bad... also if my opponent stops vileplume (dilga ) and that will happen if its an SP deck then only with supporters you dont stand a chance.. with trainers you may do something

i know smeargle copies only supporters...

^^What about jamming the deck full of supporters to get Spiritomb and something to evolve out? Then you have a much more powerful turn AFTER you begin to set up. Another reason why Gengar is the best here is for Level Down. Anti-Dialga; what a concept. This deck needs and wants no trainers.[/^^] Also, show the public that you really need Warp Energy here ;P I'm also unsure of the need of Candy. Better cards can be played, and you already use a matching stage 1 line for the stage 2s.

~L_X_F

Hey I have been testing this for a little while and it works totally fine without any trainers. Also i tried the heavy lookers count for a while but i figured out that im mostly shuffling my own hand so i say to max out on PONT and add in a few copycats. Also i found, as silly as it sounds, cynthias feelings is pretty pro in this deck.
But mostly take out the rare candy because if you are doing this deck right you won't need them at all. Also dialga is not a good counter because of level down. Some of you may say that that you can just spray it, but they can only do that for so long and if you are a smart player you would probably want to get the spray out of your hand in the first place because its just more damage for poltergeist.

yogibear said:
Hey I have been testing this for a little while and it works totally fine without any trainers. Also i tried the heavy lookers count for a while but i figured out that im mostly shuffling my own hand so i say to max out on PONT and add in a few copycats. Also i found, as silly as it sounds, cynthias feelings is pretty pro in this deck.
But mostly take out the rare candy because if you are doing this deck right you won't need them at all. Also dialga is not a good counter because of level down. Some of you may say that that you can just spray it, but they can only do that for so long and if you are a smart player you would probably want to get the spray out of your hand in the first place because its just more damage for poltergeist.

Incorrect. All the more reason to KEEP the Power Spray and spend everything else.

I still advocate trainers in Vileplume Lock because 1. You want to be able to set up early game after Spiritomb goes to the discard, and 2. Vileplume could be stopped or killed. I myself use 2 Communication, 3 Candy and 1 Luxury Ball. I know sometimes it becomes dead draw, but it allows me to set up so much more quickly to continue the trainer lock.

These trainers will especially see their value against DialgaChomp.

Is this deck even tier 1? because it looks biased that you posted it here... and like it has nothing to do with the other decks posted around it (luxchomp, sablock, etc)

Do not get offended but i really do not see this thing going trough a lot of rounds of a big tournament (deck in general, not only the sample list). As long as you face an sp deck and open with spiritomb you will be ok, but what happens when you face a deck like steelix or donphan that are set up with a single bebe? What happens when you do not begin with spiritomb? What happens if people begins to play more pont/copycat and poltergeist begins to do much more less damage? How will you pull big damage?

These are honest questions, because if the deck can succesfully go trough its own inconsistancy and those issues i will play it. Thanks for your time.

That is exactly my opinion on the deck. Also, it can't even beat every SP deck. Dialga G shuts off all the bodies, which makes the deck terrible.

Incorrect.

1. They can Level Down Dialga G. I know there is Power Spray, but 1. they are finite in number, and 2. I can Looker them away. It's not that easy to get DGX out in the first place, remember you are Trainer locked and will take a lot of hits before you level up. I play against Dialgachomp and I'm usually on the winning side. The deck is in no way terrible.

2. Donphan doesn't matter either. They can't 1-hit me, I can 2 hit them or kill off their pixies. Plus I get to flip, and it isn't that hard to catch Donphan with 5 trainers in hand. I know it can kill Spiritombs but you can afford to give them 2 or even 3 Spiritomb as free prizes if it means you set up and pwn. Crobat G could also poison them and they have no good counter against that.

3. Of course this deck has nothing to do with Luxchomp and Sablelock. It's a Stage 2 while they are SP. And this deck has favourable matchups against any SP deck and even against Sablelock. I've fought every of the other decks with Gengar and I know that.

4. Steelix doesn't work. I flip them to death, and without trainers they can't build a second one. And they are so much slower in terms of damage. Steelix needs 5 energy, not 1. I can kill their Blisseys or whatnot so it's also favourable. My friend used Steelix against my Gengar and failed every time. The trainer lock is simply too much for Steelix.

5. If I don't begin with Spiritomb, I probably started with Gastly, so pitch dark until I can get a Spiritomb out. It's just the same. And losing 1 turn of Spiritomb lock isn't the end of the world.

6. The deck isn't inconsistent. It can reliably build up 3 Gengar in the course of the game. Don't expect it to build up 4, but you should have won by the time you use your 3rd Gengar. Plus, Uxie X can attack too. While your opponent, assuming he can use trainers to recover, finds himself in a quandary.

7. Copycat is 'thank you'. You should usually have a nice-sized hand so they risk drawing into a lot of supporters and get killed. PONT is trouble, but they are still probably going to draw into 3+ trainers. And I can always use Shadow Room until they run out of these Supporters to use. Judge I do not fear, because if their hand sucks, they can't do anything either and I can use Shadow Room to my content.

Back