Venusaur ex, Charizard ex, Blastoise ex, and More Revealed from “Pokemon Card 151!”

Venusaur ex - Fire still sucks atm, so good thing for a G mon with 340 HP with constant healing. Let that sink in that Path is in the format, which makes hinder Venusaur's tankness. 3-4
Charizard ex - we have GO Charizard that makes it need 2 energy attachment to do 330? I mean they're in the same evo line so... there's a possibility but, looping 330 is kinda problematic. The only thing we have is Magma Basin that only attaches 1 from the discard? I don't count Armarouge bcoz it's another evo line. I need to run less mons in my deck, ya know. 4 Geodudes
Blastoise ex - this makes me caught in an argument. I don't count it as a tech because getting it prized kinda screws you up. Although Irida being played as a 4-of in Water deck, because it is "consistent". So yeah, it has an atk that takes out VStars other than Goodra which always tanks with its attacks and Stage 1 exs. 3-4
Sneaky Arm - control decks still suck, let's be clear. But this could nice to distrupt their chance to turn their game into their favor. 4
Leftovers - glad its reprinted after 15 years. Expect errata soon. 3
Erika's Invite - this could drag Lumi and any come-into-play abilities or tech cards that they'll never use later especially some decks considered running Lost City now. 4-5

Venusaur ex - Fire still sucks atm, so good thing for a G mon with 340 HP with constant healing. Let that sink in that Path is in the format, which makes hinder Venusaur's tankness. 3-4
Charizard ex - we have GO Charizard that makes it need 2 energy attachment to do 330? I mean they're in the same evo line so... there's a possibility but, looping 330 is kinda problematic. The only thing we have is Magma Basin that only attaches 1 from the discard? I don't count Armarouge bcoz it's another evo line. I need to run less mons in my deck, ya know. 4 Geodudes
Blastoise ex - this makes me caught in an argument. I don't count it as a tech because getting it prized kinda screws you up. Although Irida being played as a 4-of in Water deck, because it is "consistent". So yeah, it has an atk that takes out VStars other than Goodra which always tanks with its attacks and Stage 1 exs. 3-4
Sneaky Arm - control decks still suck, let's be clear. But this could nice to distrupt their chance to turn their game into their favor. 4
Leftovers - glad its reprinted after 15 years. Expect errata soon. 3
Erika's Invite - this could drag Lumi and any come-into-play abilities or tech cards that they'll never use later especially some decks considered running Lost City now. 4-5

For Charizard ex, I would not feel confident at all in a stage 2 deck needing multiple stage 2s to get set up for its defining attack, even if from the same family (Detonating Vortex, set up by Charizard ex and POGO Charizard). I wouldn't play either realistically right now, but would rather play Skeledirge ex than Charizard for having a more independent attacker, that unfortunately still needs a huge pool of cards to revolve around, but at least it isn't multiple stage 2s in play at once. Charizard's damage on Resolute Wings doesn't really offer much merit; at least a healthy Skeledirge does 250 after Magma Basin and you'd have to revolve the deck around healing Skeledirge.

Blastoise is a bit weirder to compare because it has noticeable bulk over Chien Pao as a trait. I don't think the damage limit is that big a deal when Blastoise can still one-shot a lot of stuff and tank almost any hit, but Chien Pao / Baxcalibur is the more consistent deck at the end of the day in my mind. I also think the same on running a teched Blastoise line in Chien/Bax: It's more reliable to run Chien/Bax without Blastoise, as you have single prize basics to work with as well. Chien/Bax uses (mostly) basic attackers and a stage 2 support pokemon; the same formula as Gardevoir. (Some players are venturing out using a teched Palkia line, no comment on success rate of using that.) Gardevoir has it even better from having a very useful stage 1.

Can we get some more good stage 1s? No? Ok...

I think Blastoise vs Chien/Bax is worth discussing not from the damage limit, but from reliability of the deck itself. I'd pick Chien/Bax but think it is useful to learn how both decks play out for taking that knowledge into looking over other decks. Example question: "How many times in a game do I want to dedicate my supporter to helping just get my stage 2 into play? Is Blastoise worth it if I can use my supporter for other stuff more often in Chien/Bax"?

TPCi trying to not make Charizard cards powerful challenge(IMPOSSIBLE)
There literally isnt a 340 HP poke in standard now. THATS A ONE SHOT FOR 4 FIRE WITH ARMAROUGE AND MAGMA BASIN ITS CRACKED

For Charizard ex, I would not feel confident at all in a stage 2 deck needing multiple stage 2s to get set up for its defining attack, even if from the same family (Detonating Vortex, set up by Charizard ex and POGO Charizard). I wouldn't play either realistically right now, but would rather play Skeledirge ex than Charizard for having a more independent attacker, that unfortunately still needs a huge pool of cards to revolve around, but at least it isn't multiple stage 2s in play at once. Charizard's damage on Resolute Wings doesn't really offer much merit; at least a healthy Skeledirge does 250 after Magma Basin and you'd have to revolve the deck around healing Skeledirge.

Blastoise is a bit weirder to compare because it has noticeable bulk over Chien Pao as a trait. I don't think the damage limit is that big a deal when Blastoise can still one-shot a lot of stuff and tank almost any hit, but Chien Pao / Baxcalibur is the more consistent deck at the end of the day in my mind. I also think the same on running a teched Blastoise line in Chien/Bax: It's more reliable to run Chien/Bax without Blastoise, as you have single prize basics to work with as well. Chien/Bax uses (mostly) basic attackers and a stage 2 support pokemon; the same formula as Gardevoir. (Some players are venturing out using a teched Palkia line, no comment on success rate of using that.) Gardevoir has it even better from having a very useful stage 1.

Can we get some more good stage 1s? No? Ok...

I think Blastoise vs Chien/Bax is worth discussing not from the damage limit, but from reliability of the deck itself. I'd pick Chien/Bax but think it is useful to learn how both decks play out for taking that knowledge into looking over other decks. Example question: "How many times in a game do I want to dedicate my supporter to helping just get my stage 2 into play? Is Blastoise worth it if I can use my supporter for other stuff more often in Chien/Bax"?
Whats Baxcalibur

Kanto Starters in a nutshell

Blastoise: "sAvE ThE tUrTlEs!"
Venusaur: The Middle Child
Charizard: Spoiled Rotten

It's more or less the same, I think. Both Blastoise and Baxcalibur are stage 2 pokemons that you need to set up. The difference is Baxcalibur is an engine and Blastoise is an attacker.

In a Chien/Bax build, Chien-Pao is practically useless until you have a Baxcalibur up and ready to put energy to your pokemon, unless you run a backup Palkia VStar for an early turn burst.

In a Chien/Blastoise build, Chien is there just to be a battery for Blastoise, and you dont really do anything else because Blastoise IS your main strategy.

If you Erika a pokemon like Lumineon V, it would be pretty devistating since they dont get the search off and it's an easy mon to pick off.

I actually don't think Blastoise ex will ever see success. Raikou V in Lost Box and Miraidon hit for weakness, and Chien Pao is able to reach 360 or even 420 if need be (such as if Lake Acuity is in play) more than once per game. Had it not been for those, then even Mew VMAX struggles to OHKO 2 Blastoise ex back to back even in the Fusion Strike Energy build and Power Tablets.

Kinda wish the ability was more support based like Gardevoir ex, or that the attack was a 1 energy one even if weaker if we were going to go with the tank route, so we could abuse Cheryl... still possible to do Cheryl shenanigans with Baxcalibur, but it's gonna be rough accelerating and discarding 2 energy every turn in a deck with 2 stage 2 lines.

All that said it isn't a bad card on paper, just it'll arrive in a meta where its bulk is undermined due to numerous top decks being able to OHKO it, and its damage is good but nothing crazy when compared to the competition.

Erika is HUUUGE. My biggest issue with Block Snorlax in the current rotation was no easy way to force Pokemon into play, as there is no Captivating Pokepuff or Mawile GX, the opponent won't discard Pokemon for Echoing Horn if they know what deck you are running, and for Manaphy you have to run it and water energies which is more clutter than I like... and Erika would have already seen play in the deck for the first part alone, but it also gusts.

Blastoise cards always end up being the best out of the OG 3 starters. I can see blastoise ex seeing play in standard but not really the other 2

Back