U.S. Nationals

I ended up playing in the Triple Cup today. TOM decided to not want to work so it took quite a while to get the event started. There were 77 players in the event. This event was also Single Elimination so most people got byes round 1 so that round 2 would start with a power of two for remaining people. What he did for pairings was cut up all the names and put them in a bag and draw from the bag. It's old fashioned, but it works. I don't remember any names of the people I played.

R1 vs bye. This was my toughest match all day. :p

R2 vs ? w/ Gothirita, Politoed, Bisharp, Thundurus

I open by switching out my Latios anticipating Sucker Punch. I replace it with Vaporeon. His Bisharp Protects itself. I chose to have Weavile use Brick Break against it. My Salamence I used Dragon Dance. Politoed Scalds my Weavile, but does not get the burn. Gothorita used Light Sceen.

His next turn he subs out Bisharp for Thundurus. I have my Vaporeon use Helping Hand on Weavile. I do Outrage with Mence hitting Gothorita for about 80%. Weavile I had done Brick Break to get rid of Light Screen and did about 30% to the Thundurus. Politoed did Perish Song. His Gothorita does Reflect.

The next turn my Vaporeon and his Gothorita Protect. He tries to Thunderbolt my Vaporeon with his Thundurus. I use IcePunch with Weavile causing a KO on Thundurus. My Salamence misses the Goth. His Politoed does Scald to KO my Weavile.

He brings back Bisharp and I send in Latios. His Politoed does Helping Hand to Bisharp which Sucker Punches my Vaporeon. It was boosted by Dark Gem, but my Vaporeon was able to survive the attack. Salamence KOs Gothorita with Outrage. I do Thunderbolt with Latios onto his Bisharp. I then use Surf with Vaporeon getting a crit on Bisharp.:)

I protect with Vaporeon, Outrage with Salamence to Politoed, and finish it off with Thunderbolt.

Score 3-0

R3 vs ? w/ Politoed, Jellicent, Ludicolo, can't remember their last Pokemon.

Right away I had my Weavile and Latios use their attacks to get rid of Jellicent before it can do anything. Salamence I had used Dragon Dance to get the upper hand. I think Politoed had done Ice Beam to my Salamence bringing it down to 1 HP due to Focus Sash. After a few turns the field gets reduced to my Vaporeon against his Politoed. Since there is no way he could win at that point he forfeited so we didn't have to play it out.

Score: 1-0.

R4 vs Tornadus, Landorus-T,

I don't remember a lot about this one because it was over quickly. Her Landorus was scarfed so it was able to move first and get a OHKO with U-Turn on my Latios. Tornadus did Acrobatics which had OHKO'd my Weavile. It was faster since my Weavile is Adamant instead of Jolly. From there I just got completely destroyed. I did my best so I have no regrets on losing the match badly. If you don't have a good match-up, you aren't going to win.

Score: 0-4.

I got 9 packs and a Victini hat for getting Top 16 so that was alright. Shortly after that I got my compensation for volunteering many hours over the weekend which did include a staff Espeon. [class=me]*Arceus looks at Serperior.*[/class] I also got my Tropical Beach back that I had lent out to a friend and my Terrakion back from [member]Steadfast[/member].

I do plan on Face Booking the pictures I took at the event so those will be up sometime after I get home, most likely Tuesday since I am leaving tomorrow. If you were looking for me, I was always dressed up and wore a tie. When I was judging, I had on a green volunteer shirt.

I got top 16. I would say I'm pretty happy considering that I started halfway through the season and this is my first year ever playing. Went 7-0 day one and ended up 8-1 Swiss losing to Blastoise last matchup. In top 16 drew absolute crap and got 2-0'ed. All of the judges complimented me on getting this far for my first year afterwards so it was pretty good

Also traded up a NV Chandelure for a Lugia EX and Victini EX

Making top cut at Nationals is quite an accomplishment, especially if it is your first year playing. My first Nationals I went 5-4, but ever since then, I've been staff for Nationals, or in this years case, volunteer.

Blui said:
Edmund Kuras wins with Gothitelle/Accelgor/Mew-EX!

Edmund won?
YES!!
I am as happy now as I found out when one of our other league Seniors got top 8 in VGC.

So is there a list posted anywhere of the final standings? There's a couple of people who I'm curious to see how they did.

Im glad TKD didn't win! It's too pricey to run, which I feel makes it an unfair deck to use. (IMO)
Nevertheless Congrats to everyone who made it out there, competed, and did what they could with whatever they had!

MamsPokemon said:
Im glad TKD didn't win! It's too pricey to run, which I feel makes it an unfair deck to use. (IMO)
Nevertheless Congrats to everyone who made it out there, competed, and did what they could with whatever they had!

2 Tropical Beach is approximately $200 and for $200 I could get 4 Deoxys EX 2 Thundurus EX and 3 Kyurems sooooo....

Edmund ran 3 Tropical beach lol.

As an interesting note, he also didn't run Musharna. Huh. Didn't realize the deck actually worked without it.

Markeus: you know I want it.

What an incredible Nats this year. I went with Steadfast/Breadfat and met Markeus, Nigel, and Glace. It was pretty cool, but I didn't expect Nigel and Glace to be so small...whoa.

I didn't play in the main event due to the fact I had 0 Play! points, so I played a ton of side events. Won 32 packs in all.

I did play in the "Win a 3DS" side event, which I'll detail here. It consisted of 7 rounds of Swiss, and prizes for the top 16. I played PlasmaKlang with 3 Max Potion, an Energy Search, 3 Heavy Ball, Dowsing Machine, two Keldeo-EX, and a Tool Scrapper. I only ran one Cobalion NV. Other than those things, my list isn't too special.

Round 1: Me VS small kid with TDK.

He just "graduated" into Masters. I had been losing to small people all day, and it was really making me angry. So I play a lone Klink and he mulligans. I have a Skyla, a crapton of Metal, a Klang, and a Max Potion. Yay. -_- He wins the toss, goes first, flips the Thundurus-EX, plays the Laser, plays the Bank, plays the Prism, gg.

0-1

That was cool. No more 3DS, but I guess I could still win packs.

Round 2: me VS nice mother of two with Blastoise/Keldeo-EX/Mewtwo-EX.
She was relatively inexperienced because she continued to attach Energy to Keldeo even after I got PlasmaKlang out. :| So I targeted the Squirtle, Steel Bullet'd all game, gg.

1-1

PlasmaKlang hasn't failed me yet!

Round 3: me VS some Michael guy with a Victini hat and TDK.
What another amazing game. I got out the Cobalion-EX supa fast, (and I was happy he was starting against a deck like Plasma), and denied him any Energy to Kyurem. Literally said, "No," to every Raiden Knuckle he attempted to land. Instead of going PlasmaKlang, I went with Shift Gear Klinklang and used Max Potion a ton. (He was going to attack with Kyurem anyways and Raiden Knuckle only 3HKOs me if he has three Deoxys-EX in play.) Moving Energy around, actually bringing up Keldeo-EX a few times with a couple Blend for 2HKOs, this game went really well for me. I even got a heads on Gear Grind to take care of a Kyurem. He ran two, but I denied him each. He attempted to get an Absol out, but Steel Bullet's a thing. Great game.

2-1

Round 4: me VS relatively cute girl with TDK.
So this game was incredible. She was very intelligent, (until the last turn), and played three Kyurem. Ouch. She was able to take out my only PlasmaKlang on the field, and it ended up being a game of who could deny the other player set-up the fastest. I got the Cobalion NV out in play with a Shift Gear Klinklang, but was forced to bring out a Keldeo-EX with two Blend in order to 2HKO instead of 3HKO. I took out the Kyurem, but I had to take three Prize cards. I have three cards left in the deck. Time was called, and it was her turn. (So I think I started the 1/2/3 thing. Still don't really know the rule there.) She has a bunch of Deoxys on board, a damaged Keldeo-EX active, another damaged Keldeo-EX Benched with one Energy on it. She attaches to the Benched Keldeo...and realizes that if she attached to the Active, she could have Retreated to a fresh Deoxys-EX and stalled. (I think she had one Prize left.) So...that was that. Big win there.

3-1

Not sure how I was doing this well at this point.

Round 5: me VS some nice guy named Matt with Bouffalant/Deoxys-EX/Team Plasma Badge.
So I drew like no other in this game, and he didn't. Not a single Supporter for about...six turns? Then he Colress'd for three and still got nothing. Steel Bullet'd everything. I felt really bad for him. Really bad.

4-1

Round 6: me VS Steven with Blastoise/Keldeo-EX.
I got a T4? PlasmaKlang and he Beach'd into nothingness. He was a swell dude, but I just kept Bulleting his Squirtle. He eventually got up one Blastoise and was able to Black Ballista a Cobalion-EX before I got the PlasmaKlang up, but I got another one out and he scooped. He burned too many Superior Energy Retrieval to bounce back with Blastoise, so he gave me the game.

5-1

Round 7: me VS a different Steven with TDK.
And this one was for the packs. Another TDK? Forreal? No problem. I've been beating these all day! Get the Cobalion-EX start, and...he gets Deoxys-EX. He doesn't draw anything. I draw everything. He made a big deal about this, and had a pretty poor attitude. I understand his frustration, but he was pretty loud. I met him earlier and he's a nice guy, but he really had a poor game. I just had too much out for him to do anything. I KO his Thundurus, Kyurem, and a couple Deoxys-EX (if my memory is correct).

6-1

So I got 18 packs at 8th place, (9th got 9, so I was really excited), and pulled some goodies such as Deoxys-EX and Kyurem RH. I got an Absol as well, and plenty of Espeon all around.

A great Saturday, and a great side event. If only I didn't get donked...

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
2 Tropical Beach is approximately $200

Maybe if you buy them from Troll and Toad.

@Serperior

I like to think I'm not 5'5.

Final Day Report:

Today was the day I had to drive home. After eating breakfast in the morning I checked out of my hotel and was on the road at 7 AM EST. Frustrated with how much I had to pay in tolls going through IL on the way down, I was determined to find a new route. I navigated all on instinct like some animals do. I got through IL paying less than $5 in tolls and going only about 20 miles farther so it was worth it. It was also rain for about half of the trip which was great because it would protect my arms and hands from getting sunburned. Just before I got out of Indiana I had filled up with gas because its like 50 cents cheaper per gallon in IN than in IL. ( Save money live better.:p ) I had put a pen in my pocket before I left the hotel and with the heat it had exploded so I got ink all over my shirt pocket. It also bled through onto my skin. :angry Due to bad timing of when I left the hotel I hit rush hour near Chicago so that wasted quite a bit of time getting through that area. I was relieved when I got to WI, the boring to drive through state.

Around this time it stops raining and I end up driving until I got to about where Madison was. I ate lunch at Sunset Grill. It actually is a very good restaurant. I'd recommend it to anyone who goes through that area. That was my first real break from driving and I didn't even reach there until 1 PM CST. After eating a burger and some cheese curds I was back on the road again.

Around the time I got to Black River Falls the new Walmart that is opening up next to where I live called me. I got an interview scheduled for a leadership position so hopefully that goes well for me. It would be full-time so I don't lose that status and it would be during the evening so I'd actually have a life again. I'd have to figure out what to do about my league I run though if I take it because the manager had told me it does require weekends.

A couple hours later I'm back in MN and caught up in traffic since it happened to be rush hour with some road construction. It took around an hour to get home once I entered MN when normally that takes 40 minutes. With how hot it was, my left wrist region got all sunburn.

It does also depend on if it is the 2011 or 2012 one and if its staff or not.

I went 6-3 Top 64 and lost to my friend Sean Foisy who got Top 8. Too bad I couldn't meet any of you :/

Back