• Emboar BW #20

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Typhlosion Prime

Votes: 67 78.8%
  • Other(explain why in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
minimidget94 said:
IMO Typhlosion is so much better, due to the fact that it has a MUCH stronger late game, and it can save space in the deck from not needing energy recovery, lower retreat, better attack, and the obvious synergy between it and Ninetails.

Agreed. Also helps your water match ups by discarding DCE's from Samurott. Though discarding any energy with Typhlosion's attack wins you games.

Especially in a format with less draw and no consistent way to fish out energy from the deck.

I've had this discussion with a friend. He wanted to bring Emboar to Worlds. Bad choice.
Typhlosion is excellent in pretty much every situation, whether you're winning or losing. After something gets slaughtered, not a huge deal, you can get the energies back. If your board is looking pretty good, then you can just load up more stuff for later. He also gets rid of Rescue Energy, which is amazing in some matchups.
Emboar is nice for early-game shenanigans and loading up stuff quicker. But if they pull him forward, you're done. Getting 4 on him for 80 is a bad joke and you have no way to get energies back. Retreating him for 4 is even worse. And after an opponent's Judge, you probably won't have 3 energies in hand to keep loading up that Reshiram. Typhlosion wins here as well.
Overall, I don't even know why there's a discussion. If you want a chance to donk, play Emboar/Reshiram. If you want a good deck, play Typhlosion/Reshiram. But then, even if you want to donk, you should've gone for T1 Zekrom instead.

Even to donk ReshiBoar is bad. Almost everyone on this thread agrees that Typhlosion is MUCH better. If you want any kind of consistency or late game, run Typhlosion.

StealthAngel667 said:
I've had this discussion with a friend. He wanted to bring Emboar to Worlds. Bad choice.
Typhlosion is excellent in pretty much every situation, whether you're winning or losing. After something gets slaughtered, not a huge deal, you can get the energies back. If your board is looking pretty good, then you can just load up more stuff for later. He also gets rid of Rescue Energy, which is amazing in some matchups.
Emboar is nice for early-game shenanigans and loading up stuff quicker. But if they pull him forward, you're done. Getting 4 on him for 80 is a bad joke and you have no way to get energies back. Retreating him for 4 is even worse. And after an opponent's Judge, you probably won't have 3 energies in hand to keep loading up that Reshiram. Typhlosion wins here as well.
Overall, I don't even know why there's a discussion. If you want a chance to donk, play Emboar/Reshiram. If you want a good deck, play Typhlosion/Reshiram. But then, even if you want to donk, you should've gone for T1 Zekrom instead.

Judge actually doesn't hurt Boar as much as you think, assuming they run 4 retrieval and 2 fisherman plus about 12 energy plus 3 PONT thats 21 outs, that can get you the energy to draw more cards, plus mid game fisherman is recovery for the energy to attack plus the ability to draw 6 cards
Additionally Emboar wins in the mirror match seeing as it doesn't use up your spare 10 hp, you either award your opponent the prize or hope you have the switch to bring out a fresh reshiram and attach energys to him which just delays them taking a prize frm your first reshiram but not the new 1.

Due-ly that ty has a secondary attacker but with the output that Reshiram affords you you shouldn't really need 1 or your can add in Bad boar seeing a good list runs 3-2-3 anyway

Due to not needing energy retrieval or fisherman, typhlosion prime is way more consistant. It also has more room for techs, including pluspower and defender to win the mirror match or against reshiboar. Typhlosion prime also has lower retreat and a better attack, which is way better.

I agree that typhlosion is better, but emboar does have the option of teching mancargo, which can be very surprising and helpful in a lot of situations.

Dark Void said:
Due to not needing energy retrieval or fisherman, typhlosion prime is way more consistant. It also has more room for techs, including pluspower and defender to win the mirror match or against reshiboar. Typhlosion prime also has lower retreat and a better attack, which is way better.

Seriouisly??? defender in Tyram?, a deck where you have to place damage onto your own active to attack and then the want to say that emboars wasting space?

also how do plus power and defender add consistency? being able to play 1 trainer and say 'I'm going to draw 10% of my deck now' seems abit more consistent than 'I attach defender '

I'm saying you have more options because there is more room. You can up consistency OR run defenders, either way it provides an advantage over Reshiboar. Defender would be to prevent OHKOs from enemy Reshi/Zeky/Zoro. I personally don't run it, I rely on pluspowers to get the OHKO back, but it is an option. My point is because of not needing energy retrieval/fisherman there is more room for other stuff in a reshiphlosion deck, be it more draw cards or techs.

Ty W said:
I agree that typhlosion is better, but emboar does have the option of teching mancargo, which can be very surprising and helpful in a lot of situations.

I don't understand why you would use that. It has less HP, is one stage higher, and has the same attack cost as Resharim. If you discard one more fire energy than resharim, you can do the same damage. The only reason I can see to use magcargo is if your opponent has 60 HP, because you don't have to discard anything.

Also, why can emboar tech it, while typhlosion can't?

A guy in masters was 8-0 at one point playing Reshiboar with mancargo. He used it late game to do large amounts of damage to things that he couldn't one shot with reshiram. It wasn't a conistant attacker, but he didn't have to save pluspowers for late game because it can sit on your bench and you can play just one fisherman to one shot a magnezone/RDL.

It's not something that you consistantly attach to every turn, it's just a surprise move that emboar can pull of by attaching many energies per turn. It is also something that nothing (unless they play Cincinno) in stage 1 decks can 1-shot.

Once again, Typhlosion is better, but someone said that it had better teching options than reshiphlosion, so I gave a counter-example.

Better teching options, maybe. I wouldn't Afterburner a stage 1 with very little HP so there's a point for Emboar there.
But Typhlosion has way more space. You only need to run 0-2 Retrieval and 0 Fisherman. That's 6 extra slots for anything you like. A good tech vs. water decks seems more helpful than a Magcargo, but it does depend on the meta.

The most popular water attacker is Kingdra, while that may change at worlds, your deck is a counter to it. I'm just curious how many of you tested and knew Typhlosion was the better option before Nats? Edit: Besides the 9-0 guy lol.

gengar the baller said:
The most popular water attacker is Kingdra, while that may change at worlds, your deck is a counter to it. I'm just curious how many of you tested and knew Typhlosion was the better option before Nats? Edit: Besides the 9-0 guy lol.

Unfortunately, not me. I almost deleted my Redshark TyRam, because I thought it was unworthy of being tested, and no, I was not planning on going to Nationals (didn't have my deck ready, absolutely no material towards my deck, and too expensive :L) , and you know the rest of the story, along with everyone else...

gengar the baller said:

Me. I didn't test it MUCH, but I thought it was the better choice from pretty much since Reshiram was released in the US, while almost everyone kept saying Emboar.

gengar the baller said:
I haven't tested reshiboar but local league players have tested both TyRam and Reshiboar and they said TyRam is better. Also i've theorycrafted the fact that TyRam is better.

I started off playing Reshiboar and even played it at Nats but I kept running out of energy and would stall for a loss too often. Switched over to Typhlosion and have won my last 10 games, including winning a small (15 person) tournament the past weekend. I even beat a Reshiboar deck in that tournament. He didn't set up too fast, but even once he did I was able to drop Pluspowers all over the place and revive Reshirams so he couldn't keep up.

The only problem I have with the deck is that sometimes I can't get an energy in the early game once I get Ninetails out. Once I get that 1 energy I can get practically anything out, but that first energy sometimes gives me trouble (and I'm running plenty of hand refreshers and energy).

Can 1 person answer me this then if 'everyone' knows that tyram is better then how come Reshiboar won worlds??

^TyRam also won Worlds, just so you know.

Doesn't matter even if Emboar won Worlds, once Catcher comes out, Emboar will be dead. I agree to a point neither is viable at this point, but it's still a decent deck.

Back