Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Typhlosion Prime

Votes: 67 78.8%
  • Other(explain why in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Yoshi

Wumbo
So I've been debating whether or not to remove Emboar BW #20 in my Reshiboar deck for Typhlosion Prime. (BTW, here are the scans: Emboar BW and Typhlosion Prime) I see Typhlosion as the better option, since you never run out energy(which helps the environment; recycle! :p) and its retreat cost is half of Emboar(this connects to Catcher). Plus its attack is pretty good for Pokemon that abuse Rescue Energy. So let me know what you think. They're both great in their own ways, but I don't think running both would be the best idea, and I just want to know the best one for Reshiram. Answer the poll if you wish, too. Thanks!

Typhlosion Prime is just plain more consistent and has a better late game in my eyes. I don't see how Emboar could possibly compete when you're forced to run a lot of Fire Energy to take advantage of Inferno Fandango.

dmaster out.

Emboar
-Instant attachment
-No damage counter
-Can abuse stuff like RDL
-has 4 retreat
-droughts are common late game

Typhlosion
-Takes a later early game
-has damage counters
-can't abuse RDL
-has 2 retreat making it less catcher bait
-decent attack to remove DCEs
-no such thing as drought as long as typh is alive.

I ran emboar at nats and beat every typhlosion deck I faced. (both of us running reshiram as main attacker of course) mainly because I could set up my reshiram in one turn without adding damage counters to reshiram for the easy counter OHKO from my opponent with their next reshiram. they required a plus power to take me out. I ran retrievals and a couple fisherman with some junk arms for more retrievals if needed and I never had a problem against typhlosion/reshiram.

HOWEVER, I voted typhlosion as better because I consider emboar better only against certain decks and typhlosion better against others, (while typhlosion being better against a larger field of decks). the reason typhlosion is better is because of pokemon reversal. that card caused me to miss top cuts. plain and simple. if my opponents didn't use that to drag up my emboar, I would have won every single game. in fact, the only games I lost were because they flipped heads and brought up emboar (or ninetales early game but that doesn't matter for this discussion).

if they dragged up typhlosion, a retreat could have come more easily. aside from that, typhlosion's attack it considerably better with the ability to make your opponent discard an energy.

there is a major problem with typhlosion though. you need two out to set up reshiram in one turn and even then, you need to add damage to reshiram. however, those spaces you saved with not needing fisherman and energy retrieval could be filled with potion to heal reshiram or other trainers to increase your set up speed.

because of the problem emboar had with being retrievaled up, it will definitely have a problem when catcher comes out, making typhlosion the better choice after worlds, and probably the better choice at worlds (however, I don't think people at worlds will be running this deck very much)

Ghost Bear said:
I ran emboar at nats and beat every typhlosion deck I faced. (both of us running reshiram as main attacker of course) mainly because I could set up my reshiram in one turn without adding damage counters to reshiram for the easy counter OHKO from my opponent with their next reshiram. they required a plus power to take me out. I ran retrievals and a couple fisherman with some junk arms for more retrievals if needed and I never had a problem against typhlosion/reshiram.

HOWEVER, I voted typhlosion as better because I consider emboar better only against certain decks and typhlosion better against others, (while typhlosion being better against a larger field of decks). the reason typhlosion is better is because of pokemon reversal. that card caused me to miss top cuts. plain and simple. if my opponents didn't use that to drag up my emboar, I would have won every single game. in fact, the only games I lost were because they flipped heads and brought up emboar (or ninetales early game but that doesn't matter for this discussion).

if they dragged up typhlosion, a retreat could have come more easily. aside from that, typhlosion's attack it considerably better with the ability to make your opponent discard an energy.

there is a major problem with typhlosion though. you need two out to set up reshiram in one turn and even then, you need to add damage to reshiram. however, those spaces you saved with not needing fisherman and energy retrieval could be filled with potion to heal reshiram or other trainers to increase your set up speed.
Agree'ing majorly with Ghost Bear.

That's why there's burned tower, to add turn energy (or/and use ninetales with it) to lessen the dmg amount. Reshiboar happens to be the weakness deck of TyphloRam, so talking about their match up against eachother is not good way to compare which is better. Reshiboar happens to be the reason to use defenders to gain better chance to win against it.

@Everyone: Thanks! I run 4 Rare Candy and 3 Collector in my list anyway(not to mention 4 Communication), so I should be able to get the Typhlosion out anyway. This also takes out the need to run RDL and 2 Lightning, so I can add some stuff that will help. Keep the discussion coming(I never said I would change yet :p)!

I like Typhlosion better and always have. Typhlosion is another attacker in it of itself. Emboar isn't (well it is, but it's terrible). Also, with Typhlosion, you can use the non-prime one, and do 120 for 3 energy. It helps a lot to get the last prize.

Tyraniking said:
I like Typhlosion better and always have. Typhlosion is another attacker in it of itself. Emboar isn't (well it is, but it's terrible). Also, with Typhlosion, you can use the non-prime one, and do 120 for 3 energy. It helps a lot to get the last prize.

Its a stage two reshiram with a bad fire attack. Don't play the normal one. :p

Zangoose said:
Its a stage two reshiram with a bad fire attack. Don't play the normal one. :p
Yeah just started using rescue energies myself instead of that one.

Yea. I see how Regularphlosion isn't good. But still, it doesn't harm, in any way, my idea that Typhlosion>Emboar.

Emboar. I'd rather have a Rain Dance over having put damage counters on one energy at a time. I feel it's less limited.

Emboar is just the inferior option overall. It is forced to run many cards such as energy retrieval and fisherman to get the energy back, and in this format consistency is key. Typhlosion also does much better when catchered or reversaled up, he has a much lower retreat cost and a much better attack. If you need to put more than 1 energy you just use multiple typhlosion at a time.

With Catcher, I don't really find either viable. I mean, it won't stop it completely, but it will give the upper hand to the person running Catcher and KOing Cyndaquils before they become Typhlosions for the most part. But Catcher shouldn't be their only way in making the matchup good.

Typhlosion post-catcher (and pre-catcher), as with Emboar there's just too much baggage and with Trainer Lock, running around, you won't be able to use Switch, and 80 damage for 4 energy = FAIL. Also, by baggage, I mean Fisherman and Energy Retrieval. +1 vote for Typhlosion.

A good Emboar list will beat Typhlosion unless you tech Samurott(ability), which I've been considering. I've been testing my TyRam and it is very consistent, unlike my list with Emboar, which was lucky to set up T3. We can agree at this point that Typhlosion has always been better. Anyone care to disagree?

Typhlosion's better in general. More space from not needing too many energy recovery cards, and it does better against Catcher than Emboar. 4 retreat=ouch.

Back