Trick Room Rain Ideas

SheNinja

Aspiring Trainer
What would be the best choices for this? I know Jellicent, Slowking, Slowbro, Gastrodon, Politoed (of course), Rotom-W and others are great choices but I want something that can have a pretty good surprise factor and can do pretty good while laddering. Thanks for your time! :D

RE: Trick Room Rain

I found that:
Lileep w/storm drain
Eviolite

Barrier
Recover
Ancient power
Giga drain

Captur surf from teammates, and totally become a wall. It's the best rain team partner I've found so far. Slowing also serves as a great partner for allowing trick room and recovering and having regenerator for an ability.

It would, but specialize in max HP and Sp.Def. it works surprisingly well. Not sure what nature, but +Sp.Def, -Att.

sup noobs ;)

jk..mk so here we go. I can't believe it's been this long since I found the vcg part of the forum. I'm really damn good at this stuff (I am, very very experienced...) so yeah, let's jump into it.

assuming regular smogon ladder:

for your idea, rain trick room, it must revolve around element of surprise (as you mentioned). Having a couple usually fast sweepers involved is key

You can ask me what I think would be good EV spread/etc/moveset later

1) Politoed because obvious. Also make everything -speed nature (obv)
2) Ferrothron/Forretress-screw tentacruel for entry hazards/spin support. Either of these 2 are better, but you only get one. It's really a pick your poison option. If I had to choose I'd pick forretress since rapid spin + better typing (bug steel is probably one of the best typings in the game you can get)...and because of rain and sturdy, you can laugh at fire moves...(well not exactly...but you can sponge fighting moves better too)
3) Magnezone. You need a Pokemon that counters scizor that's not named Jellicent. Plus it helps hit other water types...and no one uses swampert anymore.
4) Personally I'd use Vaporeon as your 2nd and final support Pokemon. Just use it as if you would 4th gen, but with scald and not surf.
5) You have no physical attackers. Use scizor. It's naturally slow, BP still gets priority, and it's just...GOOD. I slap scizor on almost every team I make no matter the theme because it just has that much utility. And this acts as your decoy pokemon.
6) Now look at your team. What pokemon would absolutely Stolen it (if it was just the 5)? What comes to my mind is Conkeldurr/Machamp/any big fighting type that's not Terrakion. Use Slowbro here. It sets up trick room, and counters it.

Have fun and lmk how it goes w/ laddering. This is, of course, a VERY basic prototype. You can be creative (but not stupid) with the movesets. lmk if you need help though.

Why not play Jellicent instead of Magnezone? Magnezone seems like it sucks and 1 TR setter is NOT enough. 2-3 is preferable (I have experience in TR). Also I'm not necessarily a n00b.

SheNinja said:
Why not play Jellicent instead of Magnezone? Magnezone seems like it sucks and 1 TR setter is NOT enough. 2-3 is preferable (I have experience in TR). Also I'm not necessarily a n00b.

I was joking about the noob part.
Use reunicles or bronzong instead of magnezone then.

I don't like Jellicent because they die a lot faster than you think. Also, you never carry ice beam on jellicent, but magnezone has hp ice. Assuming tr is up, any sandstorm sweeper would still destroy Jellicent (notably garchomp)

But Jellicent is a good Ghost-Type and---

I'd rather use OrbIclus instead of Jellicent thinking about it now.

SheNinja said:
But Jellicent is a good Ghost-Type and---

I'd rather use OrbIclus instead of Jellicent thinking about it now.

Lol I never use jellicent as my ghost :p

but to each their own.
Yeah go ahead and do that. gl taking on other bulky water types though....usually scizor +2 bug bite rapes everything, but uhh...yeah gl gl

lmk ladder results.

I did a TR/Sandstorm a while ago. I used Dusclops and Reuniclus as my TR setters. You need 2 or more TR setters IMO. Slowbro, Politoed, Reuniclus (or another TR setter), Gastrodon would work, Ludicolo (Rain Dish) even if he isn't slow, you don't need everyone to be slow, and some other Pokemon.

I guess this is VGC as it is what the title says.

It is VGC and I will make this team:

Politoed
Ludicolo
Latios
Slowbro
Reuniclus
Ferrothorn

My VGC Team revolves around this same strategy as well:

* Politoed with Drizzle
* Xatu with Magic Bounce
* Toxicroak with Dry Skin
* Octillery with Sniper
* Dusknoir
* Escavalier

Backup Pokemon in this team:

* Gastrodon with Storm Drain
* Ludicolo with Rain Dish
* Parasect with Dry Skin
* Bronzong and/or Cresselia (setting up Trick Room of course)

Ludicolo is absolutely phenomenal in "Trick Room Rain" considering that it heals HP like crazy with Rain Dish, Leech Seed, and Leftovers. Heck I even used to run a Vaporeon with Water Absorb in this team that was pretty good but I was very disappointed in the gender considering that I like Female Eeveelutions more than Male Eeveelutions. I also remember using Parasect alot with Spore and Substitute and healing off damage using Surf with Dry Skin.

As for how my team works, you lead with Politoed to get off Drizzle and try to setup Trick Room with Xatu and If they try to use Taunt, Encore, or Fake Out on Xatu it'll get bounced back from Magic Bounce. Then switch out Xatu using either U-turn or a regular switch out it doesn't matter and then proceed to take advantage of what you're up against. Knowing If I'm going up against Cresselia I have Escavalier to take her out with Megahorn while Octillery helps me get around Ferrothorn with Fire Blast, and yes it can also use Water Spout which is amazing in Doubles.

Dusknoir also helps me setup Trick Room while being able to stop my opponent from setting up their own Trick Room using Imprison. Toxicroak is just there to get around Ghost Types and Psychic types as well, I know Hariyama is popular in Trick Room Teams in VGC so I'm thinking about whether If I can fit in Aerial Ace or Acrobatics to one of my Pokemon, I'm also actually thinking about building a Ninetales Drought Team using Trick Room with Gastrodon's Storm Drain ability to cover for Water Weakness.

Why would you use Dusknoir instead of Dusclops? Dusclops @ Eviolite seems better.

Xatu? *checks stats* It seems horribly frail. 65 Base HP? No, just no. I do like the idea of a TR setter with Magic Bounce though. It frees up the Item slot that would've been used as a Mental Herb instead.

^The Dusclops/Dusknoir is a prefrence. With Eviolite, Dusclops has much higher defenses, however it can't do very much damage. Its only attacking options are really Night Shade and Seismic Toss. Dusknoir has less (but still usable) bulk, but also has a decent base 100 attack stat, which means you can actually use attacking moves, like Ice Punch, Fire Punch (if not on a rain team), Thunderpunch, Earthquake, etc.

However I really don't think there's any excuse for using either of them instead of Cresselia, which is more bulky, faster, has Levitate, has better support moves, and a wider movepool. The only reason I can think of is that Cresselia is really hard to IV reset for. But I'd still even take a neutral-natured Cresselia over Dusclops/Dusknoir.

As for Night Shade, that would only do 50 damage :/ Same with Seismic Toss. I would use Dusclops to set up Safeguard/TR/Reflect/Light Screen if anything.

SheNinja said:
Why would you use Dusknoir instead of Dusclops? Dusclops @ Eviolite seems better.

Xatu? *checks stats* It seems horribly frail. 65 Base HP? No, just no. I do like the idea of a TR setter with Magic Bounce though. It frees up the Item slot that would've been used as a Mental Herb instead.

At least it's slightly better than running Espeon with Magic Bounce setting up Trick Room considering it's Base Speed Stat is a tad high. I've actually been changing up my team lately where I'm running Slowking with Regenerator to setup Trick Room over Dusknoir and Xatu with Flamethrower against Grass/Steel Types that resist my team. I've been thinking of going with Leftovers over Sitrus Berry for it, you're basically healing more with Leftovers and Regenerator in-between turns and every time you switch Slowking out right?

Considering that Zapdos with Lightningrod isn't legal for VGC's yet, I'm going with Manectric with Lightningrod instead. One I can easily breed the right Nature and IV's for it and two it has access to Flamethrower and Overheat which deals with Ferrothorn quite easily. Thunder/Thunderbolt helps against threats like Thundurus and Togekiss of course, the only problem with Manectric is finding an alternative to Hidden Power Grass/Ice which is a pain for me to get 70 Base Power for through breeding.

I thought why not go for Roar? It forces your Opponent to switch out but it's only really effective If you lay out entry hazards before hand. Only other move I can think of that would be semi decent is Signal Beam for against Psychic and Dark Types, not like Manectric needs it so maybe I should go with Volt Switch for scouting? Gastrodon with Earth Power though is a huge threat against it, so I'm probably better off with Roar. Plus If I'm also running Octillery in the same team I can take Fire Blast out for Energy Ball to deal with Gastrodon which with Quiet Nature and Sniper under Trick Room is VERY effective.

Why do you say that? Lightningrod isn't that bad of an ability as it helps Drizzle Teams as much as Storm Drain helps Drought Teams.

Back